Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It's gotta be Mathis. I don't see any other way, short of an injury to Mathis that keeps him out of several games.

There's also our trump card -- resigning Dwight Freeney if there's no takers.

1 minute ago, ReMeDy said:

It's gotta be Mathis. I don't see any other way, short of an injury to Mathis that keeps him out of several games.

There's also our trump card -- resigning Dwight Freeney if there's no takers.

I could be wrong but I don't see the Colts signing Freeney. I just think the roster spot needs to filled by an up and coming pass rusher.

56 minutes ago, kjyb said:

really hope McGIll starts!!!

There is a lot of competition on the DL.

The past 2 seasons we have carried 6 DL on the final roster.

Right now we have 11 DL on our roster.

Things will be interesting to the start of our season as we have at least 2 of our DL coming off injury (Anderson and Jones).  I would not be shocked to see Anderson start the year on an injured list, allowing for another DL to make the initial 53.

Barring unforeseen injuries to other DL in the preseason, I would say our DL currently looks something like this:

Locks:

Langford and Parry

Ahead of McGill:

Ridgeway, Art Jones

Fighting for the last 2-3 spots:

McGill, Kerr, Quarles, Lumpkin

Unlikely to make 53 (practice squad candidates):

Delvin Simmons, Sterling Bailey

I like McGill and think he can become a pretty good pass-rusher on the DL.  However, guys like Jones and Ridgeway (who can play any position along the DL and be effective against both run and pass -- this is assuming Jones returns to healthy and that what I see on college tape and read in scouting reports about Ridgeway translates to NFL), IMO, are more valuable players as they may be able to do more overall along the DL.

I would say, if we keep 6 DL like we have the past few years, that of the 'fighting for the last 2 spots' guys, Kerr has the upper hand, with McGill and Quarles then having an edge over Lumpkin.  However, if Anderson is back healthy and we're only keeping 6 -- I'm not really sure what happens among Kerr, McGill, Quarles-- they all have talents (albeit, different talents) and they all have some flaws in their games. Kerr has much more experience  in actually playing in games than McGill and although McGill had 3 sacks last year, they all came in week 16 and 17 -- he didn't do much else the rest of the season. 

As I said, I'm rooting for McGill (well, I'm rooting for all of our players) --- but to say you hope he starts or to give him expectations to be a starter at this point is very premature, IMO.  He is fighting just to make the roster.  Other than a few glimpses late in the season, I don't see much to be excited about with McGill other than he seems to have potential to develop into a decent/good pass-rusher for a DL.  If he makes this team, I expect his role to be as a rotational player who comes in primarily on passing downs.

If our sack leader is a safety then we have serious issues.

I'm pretty sure it will be Mathis, with maybe about 9/10?

Langford looks pretty hot too id another 6/7 year for him. Anderson with 5/6. Ridgeway another 3/4. Walden another 3/4.

All adds up.

7 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Things will be interesting to the start of our season as we have at least 2 of our DL coming off injury (Anderson and Jones).  I would not be shocked to see Anderson start the year on an injured list, allowing for another DL to make the initial 53.

Barring unforeseen injuries to other DL in the preseason, I would say our DL currently looks something like this:

Locks:

Langford and Parry

Ahead of McGill:

Ridgeway, Art Jones

Man, I'm hoping Art Jones can get his career back on track, but I'm not expecting it.  I know he's not an exact parallel to Donald Thomas, but coming off two straight bad season injuries at his age is doubtful.  I hope I'm wrong.  That being said, I expect McGill and Kerr to fill in for Anderson until he's ready (and I would also not be surprised to see Anderson PUP listed until mid-season, but more likely worked in very slowly over the course of the first half of the season).  I'm a big McGill fan, and I think the DL group is a strong one over all. 

Sack leader: Mathis (but I'm excited to see what Trevor Bates can do).

3 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

If our sack leader is a safety then we have serious issues.

I'm pretty sure it will be Mathis, with maybe about 9/10?

Langford looks pretty hot too id another 6/7 year for him. Anderson with 5/6. Ridgeway another 3/4. Walden another 3/4.

All adds up.

I don't know about Anderson -- I am expecting him to start the season on PUP or to be very slowly worked into the rotation (see Archer's post below).  For that reason, I tend to doubt he'll be putting up >5 sacks (plus he only put up 1 sack in 9 games last season). 

As I stated in a previous post - I am a firm believer that our defensive sack/pressure production will hinge upon our offense's production (at least to some degree).  If our offense is scoring, our sacks should be up, as it will allow the D to focus much more on getting to the Qb.  If our O is firing, I expect Mathis to be in the 12-16 sack range.

2 hours ago, Archer said:

Man, I'm hoping Art Jones can get his career back on track, but I'm not expecting it.  I know he's not an exact parallel to Donald Thomas, but coming off two straight bad season injuries at his age is doubtful.  I hope I'm wrong.  That being said, I expect McGill and Kerr to fill in for Anderson until he's ready (and I would also not be surprised to see Anderson PUP listed until mid-season, but more likely worked in very slowly over the course of the first half of the season).  I'm a big McGill fan, and I think the DL group is a strong one over all. 

Sack leader: Mathis (but I'm excited to see what Trevor Bates can do).

I think the DL group we have this year is the best of the Pagano/Grigs era..... let's just hope we stay healthy.

I think I read somewhere that the Colts defense was first in the league after week 10 with like 21 sacks, which is awesome, but a bulk of those came near the end of the season, including 10 in the last two games against the Dolphins and Titans (whether that shows the colts' pass rush potential or not is up to you).

I think the Dlines ability to push the pocket will allow the LBers to get some extra sacks. I'd say Mathis leads with about 8 + sacks with Cole right behind him with around 6 or 7.

This'll be one of our biggest weaknesses. We'll most definitely have to scheme pressure. I don't see a double digit sack player on our team this year.

I'd say Mathis with a handful.

Robert Mathis will be it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Trent Cole gives him a good run. I remember Cole having 2-3 sacks taking away from his last season due to penalties.

Kind of wish we signed Freeney. Would love to see #93 back in the blue and white one last time.

I don't expect the sack total will be in the top of the league but not as bad as some think. We have one bad season and I am not starting the season off with the doom and gloom mentality like the Colts have no talent.

If the Colts offense is clicking and putting up points, forcing the other team to throw and allow us to put a nickel package on the field: Mathis

If the Colts offense sputters and keeps giving the ball back, allowing the other team to just run the ball against our base 3-4:  Langford or Anderson

On 6/15/2016 at 0:13 AM, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Locks:

Langford and Parry

Ahead of McGill:

Ridgeway, Art Jones

I like McGill and think he can become a pretty good pass-rusher on the DL.  However, guys like Jones and Ridgeway (who can play any position along the DL and be effective against both run and pass -- this is assuming Jones returns to healthy and that what I see on college tape and read in scouting reports about Ridgeway translates to NFL), IMO, are more valuable players as they may be able to do more overall along the DL.

I would say, if we keep 6 DL like we have the past few years, that of the 'fighting for the last 2 spots' guys, Kerr has the upper hand, with McGill and Quarles then having an edge over Lumpkin.  However, if Anderson is back healthy and we're only keeping 6 -- I'm not really sure what happens among Kerr, McGill, Quarles-- they all have talents (albeit, different talents) and they all have some flaws in their games. Kerr has much more experience  in actually playing in games than McGill and although McGill had 3 sacks last year, they all came in week 16 and 17 -- he didn't do much else the rest of the season. 

As I said, I'm rooting for McGill (well, I'm rooting for all of our players) --- but to say you hope he starts or to give him expectations to be a starter at this point is very premature, IMO.  He is fighting just to make the roster.  Other than a few glimpses late in the season, I don't see much to be excited about with McGill other than he seems to have potential to develop into a decent/good pass-rusher for a DL.  If he makes this team, I expect his role to be as a rotational player who comes in primarily on passing downs.

Pretty good insight.   I think over the past 3 years the ONLY grouping that has gotten significantly better on our team is the D Line.   Weird but name which other group is more improved?  I think it isn't even close.  

8 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Pretty good insight.   I think over the past 3 years the ONLY grouping that has gotten significantly better on our team is the D Line.   Weird but name which other group is more improved?  I think it isn't even close.  

I think you are right.

QB hasn't (Luck was improving until last season)

WR is tough to tell (Wayne was still playing at a HOF level when Luck came on and kept doing so until his injury in Luck's 2nd year -- then we have had busts in DHB and Andre -- I would say TY has improved, Moncrief showed a big jump from year 1 to 2, but the fact we had Hasselbeck who didn't have arm strength to utilize the speed of our WRs may have obviated some of the improvement there)

RB -- I would say improved (Gore is better than T-Rich, no doubt), but our OL and our play calling didn't do anything to help show this.

OL -- No, this position, if anything may have regressed -- hopefully we did enough this offseason to see an improvement.

DL -- Yes, I would say we've improved here (even though we still have room for improvement and have faced injuries).  Anderson and Parry were very nice surprises last year (Anderson was arguably playing the best ball on our team before his injury).  A knock I still have is it seems like we lack stamina in a few guys -- Kerr, Parry being the 2 that come to mind over the past couple of years -- they both seem to have digressed as the years went by (Parry last year, as a rookie, could have also been impacted negatively by losing his college teammate to injury -- Anderson).  I do believe Art Jones can be our best (or second best, if Anderson is healthy) D-lineman -- so I expect this year to be the best DL we've seen.

LB -- Our pass rush obviously digressed by losing Mathis and then having him less than 100% most of last year, but I think our MLB play and the play of Walden has improved.  I expect Moore/Irving to help it continue to improve this year.

Secondary -- I'd say our safeties last year (Adams and Lowery) were better than any safety combo we've had in the Grigs/Pags era (Landry was a bad mistake).  Vontae, IMO, is a stud -- his play seemed to have dropped off last year, but that could have been due to our lack of pass rush and lack of support at the other CB positions.  Butler seemed to drop off last year, too and Toler was awful.  Let's hope Robinson can provide an improvement and Butler can get back to his old self. 

STs -- McAffee, Vinatieri and Overton have been very consistent.  Bray definitely looked like an improvement at KR/PR, though I still don't think he's a homerun hitter.

We all had better hope it's Mathis.....  because if it's not,  then odds are the Colts are not winning the AFC South.

If it's not Mathis,  then odds are the Colts will finish 3rd in the division.

Let's hope for Mathis and let's hope he's notching double-digit sacks in 2016.

On 6/15/2016 at 0:13 AM, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Locks:

Langford and Parry

Ahead of McGill:

Ridgeway, Art Jones

Kerr is the #2 NT behind Parry     Colts only have 3 true NT's. Parry, Kerr and Lumpkin.

Doubt Kerr is on the bubble.

1 hour ago, Coltfreak said:

Kerr is the #2 NT behind Parry     Colts only have 3 true NT's. Parry, Kerr and Lumpkin.

Doubt Kerr is on the bubble.

It depends if new D-Coord changes how we utilize our defensive front, and on the health of Art Jones and Henry Anderson, and the development of Ridgeway - as all 3 of those guys should be versatile to play anywhere along the DL, including NT.  

I think Kerr has the inside edge (over Lumpkin, McGill, and Quarles) at this point, but I don't think anyone on the DL's job is totally safe except for Langford and Parry (and if Anderson and Jones stay healthy, they should also be secure).

14 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I'll go weird and say Langford

That's not a weird pick at all Lollygagger. Sounds a okay to me man. Besides, after Cleveland did the impossible vs Golden State, there is no crazy anymore brother. Crazy is the new mad genius my man. :thmup:

Nothing is impossible when you have King James on the team. It's like Ray Lewis used to say about the Colts. "No disrespect to the other players on the Colts, but that's a vastly different team without Peyton" Same thing for King James. He makes everything so much better than it really is.