Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano Says Josh Ferguson Looks "Really Good"

krunk

46 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I was excited about Williams until we got Ferguson. I just don't see a spot for Williams if Ferguson stays healthy. 

There are reports we started looking at drafting Ferguson as early as the 4th.  We jumped on him after he went undrafted signing him to one of the most lucrative contracts of any 2016 UDFA.  

Everything I am reading and seeing says we don't view him as just a 3rd down back. He may be #2 on the depth chart if things turn out how the staff seems to envision it. His ability to stay healthy may be his biggest challenge.

I'm not a huge fan of Turbin or Todmam. They are journeyman without much upside. Both have bounced around. I guess Todman offers more on ST's of the two. 

I would not be surprised to see Varga win the job as Franks backup. Varga saw some first team reps with Gore sidelined late in camp. It sounds like he's ready to go after the concusion. He has more upside than either Turbin or Todman. Health is his biggest question mark. 

Of course pads will really give us a clearer picture. I could see Gore and Ferguson being our thunder and lightening. I think that is what the staff envisions. 

If Varga can ease the concusion  worries I really don't think either Turbin or Todman can offer what Varga does. I would gladly trade Morrison in the 4th for Booker or Howard. That is another conversation

Ferguson still has to perform. We spent a draft pick on Robinson last year and hes not even here anymore. His potential replacement is an undrafted player. He wont be handed anything. I think Trey Williams is pretty good in his own right. Honestly he is more closer to Sproles than Ferguson if you really want my opinion. Ferguson has some Sproles in him but much of it is his own style. I see use for both of them if we decide to carry 4 backs which I believe I saw us do for a while last year with Tipton, Gore, Robinson, Ballard. Trey Williams is the Homerun guy to me. He gets going in a hurry. Hes quite a bit faster than Ferguson in my opinion. I've seen Ferguson caught from behind more than once. But of course dont get me wrong as I do like Ferguson and I want him to make the squad. I just don't think he will easily out perform Williams if Williams is given a fair shot. As for the comments on Turbin he didn't really become a journeyman until last year I believe. Hes mostly been with Seattle. Hes pretty reliable in Short yardage power type plays. I've said for a while lately that I do like Varga, but you have to put some serious due diligence on keeping a guy who gets 4 month long concussions at a position where you are constantly taking head shots. Plus Turbin is a reliable blocker along with having Super Bowl experience. They like having guys around like that. I commented earlier that if Varga could stay healthy I could see him stick around.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

I was excited about Williams until we got Ferguson. I just don't see a spot for Williams if Ferguson stays healthy. 

There are reports we started looking at drafting Ferguson as early as the 4th.  We jumped on him after he went undrafted signing him to one of the most lucrative contracts of any 2016 UDFA.  

Everything I am reading and seeing says we don't view him as just a 3rd down back. He may be #2 on the depth chart if things turn out how the staff seems to envision it. His ability to stay healthy may be his biggest challenge.

I'm not a huge fan of Turbin or Todmam. They are journeyman without much upside. Both have bounced around. I guess Todman offers more on ST's of the two. 

I would not be surprised to see Varga win the job as Franks backup. Varga saw some first team reps with Gore sidelined late in camp. It sounds like he's ready to go after the concusion. He has more upside than either Turbin or Todman. Health is his biggest question mark. 

Of course pads will really give us a clearer picture. I could see Gore and Ferguson being our thunder and lightening. I think that is what the staff envisions. 

If Varga can ease the concusion  worries I really don't think either Turbin or Todman can offer what Varga does. I would gladly trade Morrison in the 4th for Booker or Howard. That is another conversation

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

Prior to last year Turbin had been with the Same team. He arrived at Cleveland injured so that kind of cut his time short there. Dallas I think it was what it was. I think they knew they had other plans. Plus their season I think was pretty much done for. Looking at some of Turbins numbers he seems to get better with more carries. I've seen some good games from him with 10 or more carries. Hard to do that backing up beast mode. Shouldn't be hard backing up Gore as they will want to rest him.

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Prior to last year Turbin had been with the Same team. He arrived at Cleveland injured so that kind of cut his time short there. Dallas I think it was what it was. I think they knew they had other plans. Plus their season I think was pretty much done for. Looking at some of Turbins numbers he seems to get better with more carries. I've seen some good games from him with 10 or more carries. Hard to do that backing up beast mode. Shouldn't be hard backing up Gore as they will want to rest him.

Yeah he had been in Seattle until last year. I looked he's had 6 games in his career with 10+ carries 2 of the six he has been over 4 ypc. Last year the only time was 11 for 27. I am not a fan. I'm not sure we could have found a less exciting RB if we tried. I hope he proves me wrong.

I think Varga has more to offer. He can help on ST's and play FB if we need him too. I think he a better receiver really just a better football player. The concussion is worrisome for sure. Again I wouid love to give Morrison back and take Booker or Howard in the 4th. 

I realize Ferguson has to perform. I think we will give him every opportunity to do that. I think Chud will find ways to get him the ball in space and help him succed. If he can stay healthy I like him to essentially be the #2 RB. 

I think we keep Williams on the PS at best. I don't see what value he has on the 53 man. He is only 175lbs he isn't going to do much on ST's. If Ferguson is the scat back what's his role? I agree he is more of a home run threat. I just do not see the touches to warrant a roster spot. 

I think we really need to stop comparing guys to Sproles. He is one of a kind 3 straight 1000 yard seasons at KSU. He's 5'6 190lbs that's a solid dude with tree trunk thighs. He can run around you or thru you. He can be an every down guy. He has scored every way you can PR KR Rushing Receiving I am not sure but he's probably tossed a TD somewhere along the way. There really is no one like Sproles. 

3 hours ago, akcolt said:

Yeah he had been in Seattle until last year. I looked he's had 6 games in his career with 10+ carries 2 of the six he has been over 4 ypc. Last year the only time was 11 for 27. I am not a fan. I'm not sure we could have found a less exciting RB if we tried. I hope he proves me wrong.

I think Varga has more to offer. He can help on ST's and play FB if we need him too. I think he a better receiver really just a better football player. The concussion is worrisome for sure. Again I wouid love to give Morrison back and take Booker or Howard in the 4th. 

I realize Ferguson has to perform. I think we will give him every opportunity to do that. I think Chud will find ways to get him the ball in space and help him succed. If he can stay healthy I like him to essentially be the #2 RB. 

I think we keep Williams on the PS at best. I don't see what value he has on the 53 man. He is only 175lbs he isn't going to do much on ST's. If Ferguson is the scat back what's his role? I agree he is more of a home run threat. I just do not see the touches to warrant a roster spot. 

I think we really need to stop comparing guys to Sproles. He is one of a kind 3 straight 1000 yard seasons at KSU. He's 5'6 190lbs that's a solid dude with tree trunk thighs. He can run around you or thru you. He can be an every down guy. He has scored every way you can PR KR Rushing Receiving I am not sure but he's probably tossed a TD somewhere along the way. There really is no one like Sproles. 

I dont really think there's much to debate or discuss with the Turbin/Varga subject. I like Varga and I agree with some of your points on the issue. I'm not a big Turbin fan myself. I'm not at the level where I can say I'm not a fan at all, but I think you have to look at him making the roster over Varga based on health alone. I do agree with your points on who the better all around talent is but as I said its very hard to ignore a 4 month concussion. Plus in looking at Turbins numbers he appears to be a better runner than most people think when given a chance. Christine Michael could never even steal reps from Turbin. I think the Colts staff is aware of this too. I'm not the biggest fan but I think hes capable of more than people give credit for. Getting back to the Williams commentary, hes actually according to the Colts website the same size as Ferguson, only hes 5'7". For me its hard to ignore a guy that's breaking off long runs every time he gets an opportunity. And he does it quickly. Put the guy in the game in preseason and he rumbles 38 yards. Put the guy in a real game vs the Titans and he rumbles for an instant 10-12 yards on a toss sweep. He will do more of that in the preseason I promise. If Indy is getting rid of guys like that and not giving them a chance to me that raises some issues. Especially when your competition is another Undrafted player. That's why you keep 4 because I think Trey Williams is going to show out in the preseason. Once that happens there wont be any cutting him and waiting/hoping for the PS because he will get claimed. Again if Indy is getting rid of players like that as bad as the running game has been I think there is a problem homie!

4 hours ago, akcolt said:

Ferguson and Williams are the exact same size only 1 is taller than the other. Irsay said before and during the draft they were seeking someone with a Sproles type skill set so I think the comparisons are very appropriate. I have no issues with it.

11 hours ago, krunk said:

Ferguson and Williams are the exact same size only 1 is taller than the other. Irsay said before and during the draft they were seeking someone with a Sproles type skill set so I think the comparisons are very appropriate. I have no issues with it.

Man I misread something 195 is a big difference from 175. I am surprised he couldn't find the field in NE or Dallas. It could be a much more interesting camp at RB than I expected. Williams doesn't have the injury history that Ferguson does. I'm interested glad we talked 

On June 14, 2016 at 0:54 PM, Valpo2004 said:

Ditto. . . to me every NFL player is a great athlete.  

I remember watching Matt Hasselbeck at TC last year and he made some quick agile move to climb into the pocket or something and I was just sort of stunned.  That man's 40 and I don't think I could have made that move when I was 20.  

All that said, coaches don't talk bad about any player at pressers.  So really questions to the coach about certain players are kind of meaningless.  Because they always end up just giving some form answer about how a guy is looking good and athletic . . . blah blah blah.  

That all could be very true of course.  But you don't know because he would say the same thing even if every time he looked at that guy he was thinking "That guy is so gone with first cuts."  

Shoot he could say that and then walk down to Grigson's office to have a meeting over who they are going to sign to replace that guy.  

It's just too meaningless to concern ourselves with. 

Idk about talking bad but there are some coaches who are brutally honest. Remember how honest Jay Gruden was in his assessment of RGIII two seasons ago after a game? I'm fine with him talking guys up but give us some honesty from time to time. I'm not saying trash a guy but if a rookie is struggling say something like "He looks like a rookie out there. He's got a lot of work to do but we think he's got great upside if he reaches his potential."

I think that's what a lot of fans want. Not to bash players, but some constructive criticism (which I'm sure he gives guys behind the scenes) would be nice rather than making every guy seem like the next big thing.

On 6/25/2016 at 5:15 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Idk about talking bad but there are some coaches who are brutally honest. Remember how honest Jay Gruden was in his assessment of RGIII two seasons ago after a game? I'm fine with him talking guys up but give us some honesty from time to time. I'm not saying trash a guy but if a rookie is struggling say something like "He looks like a rookie out there. He's got a lot of work to do but we think he's got great upside if he reaches his potential."

I think that's what a lot of fans want. Not to bash players, but some constructive criticism (which I'm sure he gives guys behind the scenes) would be nice rather than making every guy seem like the next big thing.

Maybe true. . . but Pagano doesn't go negative about a player that much especially in TC.  I suppose if you pressed him he might admit a player had a bad game.  

But everyone looks good in TC.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 3:14 AM, akcolt said:

Sproles is 33 years old now and really hasn't done all that much over the last couple of years. I think he is out of gas at that age. He was a thorn in the Colts on a couple of occasions that's for sure.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sproles is 33 years old now and really hasn't done all that much over the last couple of years. I think he is out of gas at that age. He was a thorn in the Colts on a couple of occasions that's for sure.

That guy ate us up it seemed like everytime he took the field vs us. Even for the Eagles in 2014 he rushed 4/26/1td then had 7 catches for 157. 

He has slowed some. He was under 4 ypc last year but still made 2 house calls returning punts.