Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano Says Josh Ferguson Looks "Really Good"

krunk

“You know, again, it’s just in shorts, but he looks really good,” head coach Chuck Pagano said of Ferguson on Thursday as the team wrapped up mini-camp. “He’s smart. He picks things up in a hurry. He’s very, very athletic. He’s a great receiver out of the back field. We can split him wide, we can displace him formationally. He’s a mismatch out in space. He’s got juice. He can go. He’s got great vision. Just not a third down back but he’s a good runner. He’s explosive and twitchy and he’s got a jump cut that’s really, really good. The rubber will meet the road when we get to Anderson and we put the pads on and see if that play speed is the same.”

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/6/10/11905510/chuck-pagano-on-josh-ferguson-he-looks-really-good-colts

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Derakynn said:

To be fair, we have some guys that are twice my weight and can run a 40 faster than I can.

Oh, I'm not saying it's not true.  I just think it's funny.  I think he has a list of "acceptable things to say about a player" and just regurgitates items from the list.

And who knows, maybe Pags runs the 40 in about 10 seconds, so everyone to him is a good athlete.

27 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Oh, I'm not saying it's not true.  I just think it's funny.  I think he has a list of "acceptable things to say about a player" and just regurgitates items from the list.

And who knows, maybe Pags runs the 40 in about 10 seconds, so everyone to him is a good athlete.

I want to be VERY clear on this.  I cannot run faster than anyone on the team, but I sure as hell can beat Bob Lamey!!! :)

58 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

I want to be VERY clear on this.  I cannot run faster than anyone on the team, but I sure as hell can beat Bob Lamey!!! :)

ROTF Brent! I'll put $20 no $40 bucks down on ya to leave Bob in the dust. 

I know that sounds like I'm bestowing faint praise upon you, but I'm actually not. 

I need to go get some paper towel & wipe off my computer screen since I spit up my beverage after reading your post. haha It's okay man. It was worth it. 

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 6:25 PM, FL Colts Fan said:

He could definitely help & I would love to wear my Freeney Super Bowl jersey in Jacksonville this year.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 6:11 PM, Smonroe said:

Yep.  When Manning had a good Oline our offense wasn't tricky or fancy.  Everyone knew what we were going to do.  We just did it better.  

Whats scary this year is that there are so many unknowns. On both sides of the ball.  We're counting on Kelly, and the right side of the line.  Dorsett, someone to step up at TE, Gore to play like he did last year.  Hardly any proven backups at any position. 

On D, we're counting on Robinson and Butler. Someone to step up at ILB, Mathis, and safeties to come through.  Again, hardly any proven backups.

This could be a great team or we could end up 8-8 again.

8 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

ROTF Brent! I'll put $20 no $40 bucks down on ya to leave Bob in the dust. 

I know that sounds like I'm bestowing faint praise upon you, but I'm actually not. 

I need to go get some paper towel & wipe off my computer screen since I spit up my beverage after reading your post. haha It's okay man. It was worth it. 

I just hope race will be run with no mishap UNLIKE Jerry Seinfeld's races Haha.

1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

Pagano has said this very paragraph word for word about everybody pretty much. lol. That's cool he's excited about him. We'll see if he makes the cut later in the Summer. Good luck Ferguson.

True, but I'd rather him talk our players up than beat them down. 

I'm excited about Ferguson too. It would be cool to have a Sproles type player.

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That was Josh Chapman......

I know, I know.....    after a while all those fat guys begin to look alike!

Nah that was actually Trent Richardson he said that about. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2013/09/19/chuck-pagano-trent-richardson-trade-rolling-ball-of-knives/2839387/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000064046/article/chuck-pagano-mjd-a-bowling-ball-of-butcher-knives

He also said that about MJD.......At least he got that one right. Though I always thought he was more like a bowling ball with muscles

Pagano does seem to rave about Ferguson, but like others have astutely stated, Chuck tends to be generous in his complements toward everybody trying to land a coveted roster spot since he was hired in 2012. 

Yeah I know, as the HC he's supposed to be pleasant & put on a brave face. I will temper my enthusiasm or hold it in check on Josh til August. 

You have a knack for spotting legitimate talent krunk so I trust your gut & intuition for now.  

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Pags was a pretty good D-1 safety at University of Wyoming -- I think the guy is a pretty good athlete.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

i'd be happy if chuck would give something other than a corporate answer for once

I don't think he's going to say anything negative about a player, especially not an undrafted rookie.  These guys need confidence, and having a coach speak negative about you to the media is certainly not a way to build that up.

He can say it about Andrew (he has said things after Andrew got hurt about how he needs to learn to slide, get down, etc..), who is well established and has confidence.  Pagano took some shots (maybe indirect) at Grigs last year after Andrew got hurt, too -- "He's been dealing with a bad OL since he got here, he should learn how to deal with it by now" (or something similar).

The players have come out to say Pagano talks to them differently than he does the media.  As he should!  There are so many hacks in media today, there is no sense in saying anything controversial, especially about an individual player (especially, especially about a young/rookie individual player), and especially not in the off-season when the media has nothing better to do than dig for stories.

You have to temper yourself a little bit when Chuck says something, but I will say he went into specific things he's liked in Fergusons game so far.  I mean he hasn't just pumped up every single UDFA.  I know what people mean though.

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

He said a couple things specific to this player this time, like the jump cut and how he can line up out wide...

But yeah, Pagano is all coach speak when it comes to player evaluation. I wish Indy media would figure out some better questions to ask him. Not that it would necessarily matter, but we all know he's NOT going to badmouth a player, under any circumstances.

I think Chuck was being sincere with the Ferguson evaluation overall.  They've been wanting that Sproles type of back similar to when Chud was in San Diego.  Chuck seems upbeat on this kid.  Still have to temper the expectations a bit because a lot of us were pretty high on Josh Robinson last year and that straight flunked when the lights went on. I think he will make it, but haven't seen enough to toot the horn too hard yet.

50 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Nah that was actually Trent Richardson he said that about. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2013/09/19/chuck-pagano-trent-richardson-trade-rolling-ball-of-knives/2839387/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000064046/article/chuck-pagano-mjd-a-bowling-ball-of-butcher-knives

He also said that about MJD.......At least he got that one right. Though I always thought he was more like a bowling ball with muscles

Pretty sure NCF was making a joke about trent's weight gain :P

15 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

None of this matters if he doesn't have a hole to run through. Until we address the... Oh wait, sorry. Nevermind 

;) 

I was just about to scream at you if I heard that again!  Then I saw the rest...

40 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Pretty sure NCF was making a joke about trent's weight gain :P

Maybe but it sounded to me like NCF said Pagano said that about Chapman and NOT Richardson. We will find out when he sees this

1 hour ago, Superman said:

He said a couple things specific to this player this time, like the jump cut and how he can line up out wide...

But yeah, Pagano is all coach speak when it comes to player evaluation. I wish Indy media would figure out some better questions to ask him. Not that it would necessarily matter, but we all know he's NOT going to badmouth a player, under any circumstances.

Well....   he came pretty darn close with Trent and with Bjorn.....

But in 99.8% I'd agree with you..... 

From a coaches/players stand point,  there's a method to his madness....

From a fan's stand point,  I completely get the frustration and I share it....

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Hmmmm?     I wonder then what he said about Chapman,  because he said something about Josh....

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

That was Josh Chapman......

I know, I know.....    after a while all those fat guys begin to look alike!

You have to get these Pages descriptors right...  TRich was a bowling ball with butcher knives. Chapman was a two ton safe in the middle of the line. Denzelle Good is a dancing bear. In preseason last year we had two dancing bears on the roster at the same time. Dontori Hughes was the other Pags identified dancing bear. When they were lined up opposite each other, I think they did the Tango. Oh yeah, the Colts were so excited to get their hands on the Hughes dancing bear that they traded up to get him. Gotta' love those tags!!!

So far Good is the only one to survive one of Pags' tags.

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i'd be happy if chuck would give something other than a corporate answer for once

So what is Chuck suppose to say? He is not going to rag on a player who hasn't even reached training camp yet. There was a reason Ferguson was signed. It wasn't because he wasn't an athlete.

It has become a joke to most about how Chuck talks about his players. I don't understand why some feel the need to rag on Chuck for being a coach. All of these players were signed because of potential. It is Chucks job to talk up his players and not rag on them in front of a camera. If he were to go that direction it would become a media frenzy with how the media is. The media is like the National Inquirer with looking for something to print or talk about. The media already has enough to fill their plates with by putting their own spin on things that is said. We all already know there is going to be a 90 man roster in camp and some of these guys will not be here. No need for Chuck to take a negative attitude with any of them. The answers will be known soon enough.

I hope Ferguson can show enough to make the team... He's got a useful skillset if he can put it together at this level. 

I think that Chuck made the butcher knives comment about Trent, MJD, and Ballard... I would say that I almost remember him saying it about Robinson, but I think that was posters on the forum clowning... Somebody probably had to go to coach and break the news that he had officially killed that analogy. 

1 minute ago, Carlos Danger said:

I hope Ferguson can show enough to make the team... He's got a useful skillset if he can put it together at this level. 

I think that Chuck made the butcher knives comment about Trent, MJD, and Ballard... I would say that I almost remember him saying it about Robinson, but I think that was posters on the forum clowning... Somebody probably had to go to coach and break the news that he had officially killed that analogy. 

"Somebody probably had to go to coach and break the news that he had officially killed that analogy."

I hopet if that was the case they also mentioned to him to let the players production do the talking......But I don't anybody told him about overusing analogies and speeches OR to let the players production do the talking

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hmmmm?     I wonder then what he said about Chapman,  because he said something about Josh....

Well I stand corrected.  Lol

Aanyway, regarding chapman, pagan said something along the lines of him being an immovable safe. 

5 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

True, but I'd rather him talk our players up than beat them down. 

I'm excited about Ferguson too. It would be cool to have a Sproles type player.

I would rather he not talk them up.  Just let them fly under the radar and play.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It has become a joke to most about how Chuck talks about his players. I don't understand why some feel the need to rag on Chuck for being a coach. All of these players were signed because of potential. It is Chucks job to talk up his players and not rag on them in front of a camera. If he were to go that direction it would become a media frenzy with how the media is. The media is like the National Inquirer with looking for something to print or talk about. The media already has enough to fill their plates with by putting their own spin on things that is said. We all already know there is going to be a 90 man roster in camp and some of these guys will not be here. No need for Chuck to take a negative attitude with any of them. The answers will be known soon enough.

He just needs to expand his vocabulary is all. Lot's of butter knives and dancing bears.

25 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

He just needs to expand his vocabulary is all. Lot's of butter knives and dancing bears.

It is the head coach job to say a lot without saying anything. That's pretty standard for all head coaches. I can remember an ex head coach for the Colts who threw a few players under the bus with the media and it cost him his job. He got smoked for telling the truth. They still play that on the media. ( Jim Mora ) I don't think he has coached since.