Training Camp Battle-MLB

Footballlax31

Training Camp Battle-MLB   

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which MLB do you think will start

• Sio Moore
    • Nate Irving
    • Other

It has been a little slow lately, so I thought I would start something where each week I break down certain camp batlles for different postions and see who you guys thing will or should win and why.

I know there is still a long way till training camp and preseason, but I thought it would be cool to see if you were right about who will win the job

First up, starting MLB postion

Sio Moore- A 26 years old MLB who we acquired from Oakland last year for a 6th round pick. He is entering his 4th season. Sio was quiet for us last year only racking up 13 tackles this season, but in two season Oakland he had 140 tackles and 7.5 sacks. He has proven he can put up solid numbers when he has the chance. I remembered when we traded for him Oakland fans were so mad they traded him. He plays with a lot of passion and seems to love the game.

Nate Irving- 27 years old and entering his 6th season in the NFL. He has started in 14 starts career games for the Colts and Broncos. 118 tackles in his career and 3 career sacks. Pagano says he is back 100% healthy from his ACL. He has also lost 20 LB which should help him be faster and help cover TE's and RB's. He is good in coverage and run support. Irving is a vocal leader too like Sio.

Josh McNary, Amarlo Herrera, Junior Sylvestre, Antonio Morrison, and Edwin Jackson are also competing for the spot and depth/backup.

Personally I believe Irving will get the job next to Jackson this season with Sio rotating in for Jackson or Irving. I believe if Irving and Sio show they can play at a high level this year, they can be our future starters in years to come. :D

Please feel free to comment and express your own opinion.

Next topic-Right Tackle battle

No idea because really I don't know any of them that well.  But if I had a gun to my head Id go with Irving because he can cover.  It's a passing league and we need LB's that can cover.  I believe Moore will get his fair share of reps though.

5 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

No idea because really I don't know any of them that well.  But if I had a gun to my head Id go with Irving because he can cover.  It's a passing league and we need LB's that can cover.  I believe Moore will get his fair share of reps though.

Irving is known for his run stopping ability and not his coverage skills... Losing 20lbs may help him in coverage, but he isnt known for that.

Interesting group.  One proven player, maybe past his prime.  Three guys with limited starting experience.  A few promising young guys, but doesn't every team have those?

Like most of you, I'm guessing Sio and Nate are our ILBs of the future.  Hopefully they live up to the billing.  It's all subjective at this point. 

Irving has had injury problems and is closer to 28 (birthday is July 12th) meaning in 2 years he'll be 30. He also can't cover.

Sio gets the starting spot next to DQ. Irving will start over DQ if he gets suspended for his pizza guy incident.

13 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Irving has had injury problems and is closer to 28 (birthday is July 12th) meaning in 2 years he'll be 30. He also can't cover.

Sio gets the starting spot next to DQ. Irving will start over DQ if he gets suspended for his pizza guy incident.

I would love to. see Sio and Junior gets some time together. That would be some speed at ILB. 

I think the starters will wind up being Jackson and Moore.  If Dqwell gets suspended for any amt of time I think the starters during that period will be Irving and Moore.  Overall for the season I think the depth will wind up being Morrison, Irving, Sylvestre.

14 hours ago, Footballlax31 said:

It has been a little slow lately, so I thought I would start something where each week I break down certain camp batlles for different postions and see who you guys thing will or should win and why.

I know there is still a long way till training camp and preseason, but I thought it would be cool to see if you were right about who will win the job

First up, starting MLB postion

Sio Moore- A 26 years old MLB who we acquired from Oakland last year for a 6th round pick. He is entering his 4th season. Sio was quiet for us last year only racking up 13 tackles this season, but in two season Oakland he had 140 tackles and 7.5 sacks. He has proven he can put up solid numbers when he has the chance. I remembered when we traded for him Oakland fans were so mad they traded him. He plays with a lot of passion and seems to love the game.

Nate Irving- 27 years old and entering his 6th season in the NFL. He has started in 14 starts career games for the Colts and Broncos. 118 tackles in his career and 3 career sacks. Pagano says he is back 100% healthy from his ACL. He has also lost 20 LB which should help him be faster and help cover TE's and RB's. He is good in coverage and run support. Irving is a vocal leader too like Sio.

Josh McNary, Amarlo Herrera, Junior Sylvestre, Antonio Morrison, and Edwin Jackson are also competing for the spot and depth/backup.

Personally I believe Irving will get the job next to Jackson this season with Sio rotating in for Jackson or Irving. I believe if Irving and Sio show they can play at a high level this year, they can be our future starters in years to come. :D

Please feel free to comment and express your own opinion.

Next topic-Right Tackle battle

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Interesting group.  One proven player, maybe past his prime.  Three guys with limited starting experience.  A few promising young guys, but doesn't every team have those?

Like most of you, I'm guessing Sio and Nate are our ILBs of the future.  Hopefully they live up to the billing.  It's all subjective at this point. 

I was higher on Sio than Nate when we signed them both, and vote that DQwell and Sio will start this year.  I think Irving is more suited to replace DQ than play along side him, to be honest -- although I'm interested to see how well he'll be moving with his weight loss and another year removed from injury.

As far as our long-term goes, I am pretty sure the coaches are very high on Morrison and tend to expect that he will be looked at/counted on to be one of our long-term pieces.  That said, I think he might need a year to finish recovering from his knee injury and if he is used much this year it will be mainly on STs.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I keep forgetting about Edwin Jackson.  I can't really make a prediction on where he'll end up until I see him play in the preseason. 

Where did we get him? I have not hear much about him. Every one else I know but his name keeps getting brought up

1 minute ago, Footballlax31 said:

Where did we get him? I have not hear much about him. Every one else I know but his name keeps getting brought up

He played at Georgia Southern.  We had him on the PS for a good portion of last season.  Picked him up from Arizona I believe.  Put on his tape specifically against Georgia Tech and I believe Florida and he stands out.  Has some thump to him and Pagano spoke positively about him.

What I really want to see is that Irving, Sio, Sylvestre and Morrison all play lights out so we have the ILB sorted for the near future. Not that I have anything against DQ, but you never know how soon he will be over the top. I have a good feeling that our new DC will light a fire under these guys! 

26 minutes ago, krunk said:
17 minutes ago, krunk said:

He played at Georgia Southern.  We had him on the PS for a good portion of last season.  Picked him up from Arizona I believe.  Put on his tape specifically against Georgia Tech and I believe Florida and he stands out.  Has some thump to him and Pagano spoke positively about him.

Thanks for the info

14 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Irving is known for his run stopping ability and not his coverage skills... Losing 20lbs may help him in coverage, but he isnt known for that.

I'm guessing that's why they had him lose some weight.  Hopefully it will work out because we KNOW D'Q can't cover.

10 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I'm guessing that's why they had him lose some weight.  Hopefully it will work out because we KNOW D'Q can't cover.

I think needed to lose some weight. He was up to 253lbs here last year about 10lbs over his playing weight before his injury in Denver. To say he lost 20lbs while it could be accurate is a little misleading. He got back to his playing weight in Denver then dropped another 10lbs or so.  He played at 231 as a Senior at NC St. It will be interesting to see his official weight this season I'm guessing he's closer to 240 than 231.

Anyone know when we announce the players official weight?  NCF is usually on these things. 

9 hours ago, GOT AN O-LINE said:

I hope we can pick up a proven starter, our current players are not proven

How many games would you like these guys we need to pick to have started?  Would 14 games be enough or how about 22 would that do it?

Nate Irving has 14 starts and Sio Moore 22 starts in their respective careers. 

I hope we can find a proven starter at C before the season starts That Kelly kid isn't proven.  

When would ever give the young guys starts using your brilliant proven starter philosophy?  You must have hard a heart attack when we went with Anderson and Parry last year. 

I hope we go young on the defensive side.  MLB DQ is average to good.  I'm glad we have him on the roster since freeman left to da bears.  But I hope Irving or Sio or even the Florida Gator guy we drafted starts over DQ aka night quill lol.  But yeah man this time of the year sucks weather is getting too hot and Sunday's are boring!! 

25 minutes ago, Iancolts said:

I hope we go young on the defensive side.  MLB DQ is average to good.  I'm glad we have him on the roster since freeman left to da bears.  But I hope Irving or Sio or even the Florida Gator guy we drafted starts over DQ aka night quill lol.  But yeah man this time of the year sucks weather is getting too hot and Sunday's are boring!! 

DQ brings a lot of leadership to the field makes the calls on D. I don't mind him being a 2 down guy who if the talents there gets phased out. I want to see some of Slyvestre and Sio together both have run sub 4.6 40's That's the kind of speed I want on the field. They are our best cover LB's and both have played the edge. Camp should be interesting 

11 hours ago, akcolt said:

DQ brings a lot of leadership to the field makes the calls on D. I don't mind him being a 2 down guy who if the talents there gets phased out. I want to see some of Slyvestre and Sio together both have run sub 4.6 40's That's the kind of speed I want on the field. They are our best cover LB's and both have played the edge. Camp should be interesting 

I think Irving and Sio could also be able to bring that leadership too with some experience. I would absolutely be for DQ being a 2 down player too

I don't know who's going to "start" next to Jackson, but it will probably depend on what type of play they want to run.

If it's a run-stop play, probably Irving.

If it's a pass play, probably Moore.

Both may see equal time this year, barring injuries.  Beyond that, it's probably whoever performs best on ST will be ILB depth.

6 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

He looked very solid in preseason last year. Damn shame he got hurt. 

He lead the team in tackles last preseason. I'm interested to see where his weight is at. With Irving's weight loss that makes DQ and Junior the two heaviest ILB's on the team at 242. Actually  Herrera has 7lbs on them but I don't see him making the cut this year. He's another guy who can't  move does nothing in space.

Although stopping the run was his calling card at Toledo he did a bit of everything coverage, rushing the QB, ST's. I would not mind giving him a look at OLB.