Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

 

Brian Hartline got cut by Cleveland today.     He's 6-2 and 200 and he's 29.     Doesn't turn 30 until roughly Thanksgiving.

 

So, he's got size, experience, and enough success to profile very well for the 4th WR spot.      I hope he's at least considered.    I assume with Philbin on the staff, they'll look at him.      Hartline spent most of his career with Miami,  so he was with Philbin.     Only one year with Cleveland.

 

Here's his bio....

 

http://www.nfl.com/player/brianhartline/81831/profile

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would WR needy Browns cut him? Ok yeah its the Browns my bad. 

 

I would wait and see our guys I really like Smith from Iowa. I said it earlier grabbing a WR after cuts will be very easy if needed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Browns have some talent on offense. They might not need him because they have a younger guy to fill the role. I think we could take a look at him for experience. Never know when we could lose a WR.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

Would be a great option for our 4th WR spot. Sign the man!!!!

 

He can't be worse than our WR4, and he is a story of consistent reliability.

 

That's what Chuck has been preaching this offseason.  Reliability.  Availability. Dependability.

 

Sign the man.  He can only improve this WR corps throughout the offseason.

Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest with you I think they are going to stay with Bryan Tyms, Josh Boyce, Smith from Iowa, and Anthrop.  I think  Hartline and Anthrop are a similar style of receiver.   If we brought in Hartline I think you get rid of Boyce or one of the other UDFA.  It wouldn't surprise me if Tyms ended up being the 4th receiver.

 

Tyms fits the Air Coryal type of scheme that we'll be playing here.  Tyms has great size at 6'3", great speed at 4.48 and he's good at the deep ball.  He's also an experienced veteran.  It won't surprise me at all if we stay with Bryan Tyms.  I could see us bringing in Hartline if Joe Philbin suggests that to Grigson, but it will be more to fit the Griff Whalen 5th receiver kind of role.  IF they are comfortable with Anthrop they probably won't do it at all.

 

If they see a fit on Hartline I wouldn't be against it though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would Hartline want to become the Colts 4th receiver?  Also why would the Colts want to pay a 9 year veteran minimum salary for a 4th receiver?  Close to a million dollars for a 4th receiver is kind of crazy IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why would Hartline want to become the Colts 4th receiver?  Also why would the Colts want to pay a 9 year veteran minimum salary for a 4th receiver? 

To play for a contender and he would be an experienced veteran backup.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

To play for a contender and he would be an experienced veteran backup.

As needy as other teams are for a starter he would more than likely want to be a starter somewhere else. It makes no sense to pay like I said a million dollars for a 4th receiver.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't realize Anthrop was as fast as he was:

 

In front of representatives from 23 NFL teams and two Canadian Football League teams, Anthrop ran a 4.40 electronically timed 40-yard dash and didn't drop any passes on Tuesday. The 6-foot, 193-pound receiver backed up an eye-opening performance in the East-West Shrine Game.

 

Anthrop said his agent heard that he was expected to run in the 4.5-4.6 range. The former two-time state medalist in the 100-meter dash easily outperformed that projection on Tuesday, with some hand timings putting him as low as 4.37. Only eight players ran sub-4.4 40s at last month's NFL Scouting Combine, and only one was a receiver.

http://www.jconline.com/story/sports/college/purdue/football/2016/03/23/purdues-anthrop-proves-self-pro-day/82139432/

 

 

If he shows anything in camp and the preseason he'll probably take over that Griff Whalen role if not more with his speed.  I'll be interested to see if he's able to do anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

As needy as other teams are for a starter he would more than likely want to be a starter somewhere else. It makes no sense to pay like I said a million dollars for a 4th receiver.

 

There are absolutely multiple reasons to pay vet minimum for a 4th WR.  Hell, that's the absolute minimum you can pay unless you're only going to consider guys still on a rookie contract.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why would Hartline want to become the Colts 4th receiver?  Also why would the Colts want to pay a 9 year veteran minimum salary for a 4th receiver?  Close to a million dollars for a 4th receiver is kind of crazy IMO.

 

Hairline's career says 3rd WR at best, and possibly 4th.

 

He may not like it,   but he's out on the street.      We'll see who picks hm up,  how much they're willing to pay,  and in what roll will they use him?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jason_S said:

 

There are absolutely multiple reasons to pay vet minimum for a 4th WR.  Hell, that's the absolute minimum you can pay unless you're only going to consider guys still on a rookie contract.

We already have 8 receivers on rookie contracts. Anthrop, Boyce, Bray, Leak, McKay, Rogers, Smith, Stangby and 4 year player Tyms. At this point we don't need to pay $885,000 for a 4th receiver IMO. If we didn't already have Hilton, Moncrief and Dorsett it might be worth considering. At least a couple of these players will make the roster IMO. Then more than likely a couple of more might reach the PS. Receivers are far from what is needed especially at that type of money. I just don't see nothing so special in Hartline that we need to sign him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Could be but I still don't think paying $885,000. for a 4th receiver is worth it.

 

That's 0.56% of the salary cap. Not a big deal.

 

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have some veteran depth at receiver, but I wouldn't sign anyone in that role until Week 1 starts, that way his salary isn't fully guaranteed for the season. 

 

Edit: And I'd only look to do this if none of the younger guys -- Bray, Boyce, Tims, Anthrop, whoever -- step up in the preseason. If one of them shows something, then I'm good rolling with the young group.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

My mention of Hardline is not to say that he HAS to be the guy.      Only that I think he should be seriously considered.

 

As a 4th WR,  he'll play some.     At some point during a 16 game, 17 week season,  one of the WR's, maybe even two of them,  will have some type of injury that will require them to miss 1-3 games.     A veteran like Hardline would be great to step in.      The situation would NOT be too big for him.    He'd be a pro.    He would not be overwhelmed by the moment as a rookie, or a guy with minimal experience might be.    

 

And, as Superman noted,  his veteran minimum salary is pennies on the dollar.

 

Hard to me to see him being available after week 1 so we don't have to guarantee his salary.  

 

So,  maybe it's someone else.....    I'd like a guy who has been there, and done that.    How has been successful.   Who has some size,  say at least 6'1" and preferably taller.     A veteran who can help teach the younger guys like Dorsett.     Someone good in the locker room.

 

I think Hartline should be considered.     But if not him,  then perhaps someone similar to him if that someone is available.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Superman said:

 

That's 0.56% of the salary cap. Not a big deal.

 

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have some veteran depth at receiver, but I wouldn't sign anyone in that role until Week 1 starts, that way his salary isn't fully guaranteed for the season. 

 

Edit: And I'd only look to do this if none of the younger guys -- Bray, Boyce, Tims, Anthrop, whoever -- step up in the preseason. If one of them shows something, then I'm good rolling with the young group.

I agree. Small $. Just imagine if we're without one or two of the starting WRs  going into a game. It can happen. Having a quality experienced backup like Hartline is just a wise move. He'd play and do well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hoose said:

I agree. Small $. Just imagine if we're without one or two of the starting WRs  going into a game. It can happen. Having a quality experienced backup like Hartline is just a wise move. He'd play and do well. 

 

I don't know if he'd do well. The Colts haven't had a good time with veteran receivers joining the team. Ironically, the best one was Donnie Avery, and they've basically gotten worse each time. 

 

But I wouldn't write off a veteran joining the team just because it hasn't worked well in the past.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2016 at 9:24 PM, NewColtsFan said:

 

Brian Hartline got cut by Cleveland today.     He's 6-2 and 200 and he's 29.     Doesn't turn 30 until roughly Thanksgiving.

 

So, he's got size, experience, and enough success to profile very well for the 4th WR spot.      I hope he's at least considered.    I assume with Philbin on the staff, they'll look at him.      Hartline spent most of his career with Miami,  so he was with Philbin.     Only one year with Cleveland.

 

Here's his bio....

 

http://www.nfl.com/player/brianhartline/81831/profile

 

 Gotta laugh at him Not being worth vet min.
 Yes there will be many vets come available, he would be a solid add at twice the min.
 We are Thin and small at the position.

Link to post
Share on other sites

i don't get the we are to small at WR. The smallest guy has yardage numbers that compare favorably with the best WR's in league history. Anyone remember Marvin? Not a big guy. Who's been arguably the best in the league the last couple of years Id say A Brown again size? 

 

I don't think the FO puts the premium on size the board does. We are thin at WR too? It appears we have about 8 guys battling for 1 spot. How is that thin? 

 

If you aren't happy with who we have say that but Hilton Moncrief Dorsett and very likely Bray make up 4 of the 5 WR's we have on the 53 man. We could keep 6 but I think 5 is the number 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 5/23/2016 at 8:29 PM, akcolt said:

 

I love Tavuan Smith from Iowa and Daniel Anthrop Both of them For there speed....

 

Tavuan Smith has the tools to develop into a dangerous receiver.....Could he be the next Pierre Garcon?

 

 

Iowa WR Tevaun Smith ran the 40-yard dash in 4.38 and 4.41 seconds during Iowa's Pro Day on Monday.
Ah yes, the joys of Combine snubs destroying their Pro Days. Throw Smith into that mix. The 6-foot, 205-pounder breezed through the 40 in both of his runs while also notching a vertical jump of 38 inches and a 10-foot-2 broad jump. In addition to all of that happiness, Smith also recorded a 4.26-second mark in the short shuttle and a 6.72-second time in the three-cone drill. All of those numbers are more-than-adequate in comparison to what other receivers were doing at the Combine. Last season, Smith caught 32 passes for 563 yards (17.6 yards per reception) and three touchdowns. While he failed to surpass 600 yards receiving in any one year with the Hawkeyes, NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt wrote that he "had a great workout" and "will be a drafted player." Mar 21 - 9:19 PM

 http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/132480/tevaun-smith

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AndyColt said:

 

Tavuan Smith has the tools to develop into a dangerous receiver.....Could he be the next Pierre Garcon?

 

I think that's a pretty good comparison. Smith has very soft hands. I have seen him snatch some balls you don't think he has a shot at. He pulls them up off the turf like he is playing baseball. Unlike Pierre I have not seen him drop easy ones. 

 

I think the only thing that could send him to the PS is a limited route tree. That's about the Hawks O. When they needed a big play Smith was the man.I thought his long TD was going to get them past MSU 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Krauses said:

 It looks likes he has matured a lot during his last CFL game pushing a coach

that coach flopped harder than lebron.

 

the play itself was nothing special though, not sure why carter went off like that

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

that coach flopped harder than lebron.

 

the play itself was nothing special though, not sure why carter went off like that

The coach is an unathletic 60 year old he's obviously going to go down. Carter had the intention of starting something heading that way

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Krauses said:

The coach is an unathletic 60 year old he's obviously going to go down. Carter had the intention of starting something heading that way

they just bumped shoulders, it wasnt much of a hit.  i dont buy that one can stand on a sideline for 60+ minutes, but cant take a bump like that without going down

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Krauses said:

The coach is an unathletic 60 year old he's obviously going to go down. Carter had the intention of starting something heading that way

the celebration seemed way over the top though.  running to the other end of the field and getting in peoples faces is beyond just being immature. 

 

its like he snapped or something, or he isnt right in the head

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...