Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ravens to receive discipline for using pads in Rookie camp

ColtsBlueFL

Evidently, the Ravens told Ben Watson (NFL Players Union rep) they didn't know and stopped within 5 minutes.  Schefty says NFL doesn't believe them.   Hmmmm....

I see nothing more than a fine and possibly some lost practice time at this point.

This is a second offense for the Ravens. They lost OTA practices a few years ago for something similar. I don't know how harshly the NFL will deal with them, but I get the feeling it will be more than a slap on the wrist. It's hard to understand how a team could be unaware that they can't go in pads until training camp. 

18 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

It's pretty sad that when I read "pads" the first thing I thought was they were being disciplined for using iPad's in practice. Oops, I meant Microsoft surface tablets. Sorry NFL, don't come after me.

I guess pad or IPads would be better than Maxi pads?

27 minutes ago, Superman said:

This is a second offense for the Ravens. They lost OTA practices a few years ago for something similar. I don't know how harshly the NFL will deal with them, but I get the feeling it will be more than a slap on the wrist. It's hard to understand how a team could be unaware that they can't go in pads until training camp. 

Well, if multiple violations, then loss of draft picks could figure in the equation... not kidding!

5 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Well, if multiple violations, then loss of draft picks could figure in the equation... not kidding!

That's what I'm thinking. Loss of practices and a fine is a given.

As nervous as I am about the next round of CBA negotiations (because it's coming fast, and I think the players are going to dig in on commissioner authority), I hope it brings changes to the offseason practice rules. If they loosen up on the coach/player contact and allow the teams to actually develop young players in the offseason, it will help the game quite a bit.

44 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm a little surprised that no Patriots fan has claimed that the league is letting the Ravens off lightly because Goodell loves to condemn & crucify anything Massachusetts related. 

You know it's coming...The allegation I mean. Just wait. Or they will state: A specified fine is listed, paid, & no suspensions are levied against them. Sigh...

Repeat offender...Lock em up...& throw away the key. Just joking! 

54 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

It's pretty sad that when I read "pads" the first thing I thought was they were being disciplined for using iPad's in practice. Oops, I meant Microsoft surface tablets. Sorry NFL, don't come after me.

Not a bad guess considering Browns GM Ray Farmer suspension last year for texting during a game. It's quite smart on your part RMDY actually. 

I meant that as a complement BTW not like oh look so & so actually said something smart. haha I better shut up now before I dig myself into a deep hole with no exit strategy. 

42 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I guess pad or IPads would be better than Maxi pads?

This reply made me raise an eyebrow. It definitely took guts to say that & it proves once again why a person must read every comment in a thread regardless of how many pages it is. The left field surprises on the forum  always keep me coming back time & time again. 

Not slamming you CC1; I just admire folks who go where angels fear to tread. Enough said. 

2 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

This reply made me raise an eyebrow. It definitely took guts to say that & it proves once again why a person must read every comment in a thread regardless of how many pages it is. The left field surprises on the forum  always keep me coming back time & time again. 

Not slamming you CC1; I just admire folks who go where angels fear to tread. Enough said. 

I just thought it was kind of funny when it crossed my mind. I don't know about going where angels fear? :D

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

I just thought it was kind of funny when it crossed my mind. I don't know about going where angels fear? :D

Yeah, I get it. You were toying with the word "pad" or pads & one thing let to another on the free association mental scale. Point taken. 

It's just a Grand Canyon leap from shoulder pads to well you know...No harm done. Since this is a family friendly website, I will leave this topic now & go explore another thread.  

10 hours ago, Superman said:

Sounds too much like BB saying he didn't know you couldn't tape other team's sidelines. It's one of those things that is not only a clear rule, but it's implied nonetheless.

If the veteran players don't get pads until TC, why would rookies get pads in mini-camp? They're making themselves look very bad by playing dumb IMO.

11 hours ago, Superman said:

I would have thought teams would employ some form of compliance officer to make sure they're following all the rules of the league down to a t... of course their job might also involve turning a blind eye :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

How could they not know that pads where not allowed during Rookie camp??

I KNOW THAT.

Given that it's a 2nd offense then I'd consider either doing away with all their OTA's or taking a 5th round pick.  

I'm more apt towards taking a 5th round pick for the lame excuse about not knowing that it was against the rules.  I know it's against the rules and I've never worked for the NFL or any of it's teams.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 6:47 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Sounds too much like BB saying he didn't know you couldn't tape other team's sidelines. It's one of those things that is not only a clear rule, but it's implied nonetheless.

If the veteran players don't get pads until TC, why would rookies get pads in mini-camp? They're making themselves look very bad by playing dumb IMO.

That's a good question.

10 hours ago, Superman said:

I was wrong. Slap on the wrist.

Which is sad considering it tramples all over the CBA, which clearly states the number of padded practices a team can have and when they can have them. Coach should've gotten a 2 game suspension.