Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would You Trade The No.34 Second Round Pick For A Future 1St?

The Raiders - look at their draft picks:

http://espn.go.com/b...ders-2012-draft

Essentially, Raiders do not pick till the 5th round.

If the Raiders were to come to us and offer a 2013 first rounder (they owe the Bengals the 2013 second rounder for Carson Palmer based on their trade conditions) for our No.34 pick, would you do it?

Personally, I would.

Thoughts???

Unless Dontari Poe or another very good player that falls who isnt supposed to fall comes to us, then YES I would definately take that trade if there arent great players that drop to us. But I would want the 2013 1st to come from a team that kinda sucks so we will have an early pick. Like Arizona or Seattle.

If we had a mid round 2 I'd say yes, but the Raiders almost won there division this year and with Palmer actually preparing to play next year in an inconsistant division they could make the playoffs. This puts us to picking late next year. In order to move back a year going up no more than just a few picks is not worth it.

Maybe if they put 3 or 4 with it.

To me, it depends on whether we feel we can become SB contenders with just one draft or if we feel we need a couple of drafts to solidify all the spots we have weaknesses in. To me, it is the latter. Even if the Raiders' first round pick is in the early 20s, we will still have access to 2 first round players in 2013, something we can accomplish without trading away our No.1 pick this year. That is my thought process.

Plus, I think the 2013 class is more stronger on the safety front with Ray Ray Armstrong (Miami), T.J.McDonald (USC), Matt Elam (Florida), Bacarri Rambo (Georgia) etc. and based on those players' 2012 seasons, I think a couple of them, if not all could be round 1 picks. This year safety class is not deep enough and like the other guy said, if Mark Barron is not available, we should entertain an offer like that. Plus, next year's WR corp seems to be deep as well.

No.

The 34th pick overall is the 2nd pick in the 2nd round.

Trading this pick for a 1st round pick (unknown from overall 1-32) is gambling.

Best case scenario: the 1st round pick is a top ten pick!

Worse case scenario: the 1st round pick is in the bottom ten.

Average case scenario: the 1st round pick is somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Taking the average case scenario, what you would be doing is trading a known 34th overall pick this year for a 11th through 21st overall pick next year. Add in the discount for the time value of the pick (this year vs. next year), and it becomes a neutral to bad swap.

I would only do this if I am confident that the team I trade with will end up with a top 10 pick next year (IOW, losing badly during the season).

Taking the average case scenario, what you would be doing is trading a known 34th overall pick this year for a 11th through 21st overall pick next year. Add in the discount for the time value of the pick (this year vs. next year), and it becomes a neutral to bad swap.

Absolutely disagree with this. To me, it is a neutral to good swap with more upside if I consider the average case scenario. Chances are, we may have a pick in the same range too (11-21) and that is why it makes a lot of sense to me. To me, it is all about whether we play free agency to fill some holes. If we intend to do that, then trading that pick is a no brainer if we have a desperate team willing to give us a 1st round pick next year. If it was Polian drafting, then yes, the likelihood of trading away a pick is as close to improbable for future picks. I'd like us to be less conservative and be willing to deal, just not for the heck of it but when a situation like the above presents itself.