Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Article claiming Colts will break the bank to infinity to pay Luck-opinions?

threeflight

I think the people who wrote this article don't know Jim Irsay.  I believe he even franchised Peyton at least once.  He won't pay more than he has to,  just like any other owner in the NFL.  Yes he will be the highest paid player  but he is not going to do anything ridiculous.  He is not running a charitable foundation.  He is running a business.  I give him more credit than that.  He will not do anything to harm the franchise long term.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think the people who wrote this article don't know Jim Irsay.  I believe he even franchised Peyton at least once.  He won't pay more than he has to,  just like any other owner in the NFL.  Yes he will be the highest paid player  but he is not going to do anything ridiculous.  He is not running a charitable foundation.  He is running a business.  I give him more credit than that.  He will not do anything to harm the franchise long term.

We shall see, but if I was a betting man, and I am, I would bet on it being more true than not.

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think the people who wrote this article don't know Jim Irsay.  I believe he even franchised Peyton at least once.  He won't pay more than he has to,

um, I don't think YOU know Jim Irsay. :P

5 minutes ago, threeflight said:

We shall see, but if I was a betting man, and I am, I would bet on it being more true than not.

Do you follow ESPN? Do you believe their articles? If so may I please suggest you find a more reliable source for your information?

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Do you follow ESPN? Do you believe their articles? If so may I please suggest you find a more reliable source for your information?

I don't need to follow ESPN. I have Irsay's own words.  He said he will blow people away with the size of Lucks contract.

1) Barnwell's article claims that he's heard from people around the league that the guaranteed money on Luck's contract should exceed the $70m mark. Barnwell assumes the baseline for guaranteed money should be the cost of three consecutive franchise tags. It's not clear where he gets that idea from, but it doesn't make a lot of sense. It feels like he's just throwing out ideas, not reporting anything (at least beyond his claim that $70m guaranteed is too low). 

2) There's no reason to think that Luck won't be the Colts QB four years down the line. That's basically what $98m guaranteed would mean, is that his first four seasons would be guaranteed. Not a big deal, really, since he's not going anywhere. 

3) The structure of guaranteed money on big contracts is generally staggered or rolling. Even if the first two years is fully guaranteed, after that, the guarantees generally go into effect year by year, or they're limited to injury guarantees (which are sometimes offset by insurance), etc. "Guaranteed money" is a buzz term anymore, and doesn't really mean what you might think. Cam Newton's contract is supposedly guaranteed for $60m, but at signing, it was only fully guaranteed for $41m. Russell Wilson's contract was guaranteed for $61m, but at signing was only fully guaranteed for $31.7m. Luck's contract might be reported as guaranteed for some astronomical, record setting number, and that's fine and practical, but the TRUE guarantees won't be what's initially reported.

Long and short, I don't know why people continue to make a big deal out of Luck's contract, from Irsay saying the number will be shocking to media projecting nonsense like this or saying THE COLTS MUST SIGN LUCK NOW!!! to fans acting like Luck's contract is going to hurt the team. I'm a contract junkie, and I'm really over all the prognostication on this. I'm eager to see what they do, but the more people talk about it, the more they say dumb stuff, and the more I check out. 

1 minute ago, threeflight said:

I don't need to follow ESPN. I have Irsay's own words.  He said he will blow people away with the size of Lucks contract.

So what numbers did Irsay say? Besides that is not exactly what Irsay said. He said shocking and that does not mean those kind of numbers.

I'm thinking the original poster is about to lose his mind over this possibility. If you traded Luck for a couple 1st rounders and a few other lower round picks, they all better hit and hit well. Now, what happens if they don't hit well and/or they get I hired and can't play and we have a new QB to just manage the games. Now he will be expected to win the games. 

I I think some tend to underestimate how bad crazy Pep was for this offense and how it stunted Lucks ability to grow in the NFL. Does Luck end up making 25 million a year? Probably close to that number. In a couple years, that will be the going rate for middle of the road QB's and Luck has shown the ability to be that upper level guy. I have no problem with paying Luck the going rate for an upper level QB while fixing his protection and having a better coaching staff around him. I think you are singling out one part of the total problem and wanting to shift course. You already have in place the toughest part of the team to obtain and you want to trade it away for future unknowns? Count me out on that. 

7 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

um, I don't think YOU know Jim Irsay. :P

Irsay has this reputation of being too eager to sign guys to big contracts, but I'm not sure why. The Colts have done a few "highest paid" contracts over the last decade-plus, but those contracts have always been reasonable from a team standpoint. Even Manning's deals weren't out of control, and as someone else mentioned, Manning was tagged twice while he was a Colt. 

Even on personnel, he negotiated hard with Pagano last year -- and ironically, media acted like he was treating Pagano unfairly. 

Irsay loves to pay his people well. That doesn't mean he just burns through money. Even when Luck signs his record contract, it's not going to be anything ridiculous. It will be the biggest contract the Colts have ever done, probably the biggest guarantee in league history, he'll probably be the highest paid player in the league, but everything will make sense.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Irsay has this reputation of being too eager to sign guys to big contracts, but I'm not sure why. The Colts have done a few "highest paid" contracts over the last decade-plus, but those contracts have always been reasonable from a team standpoint. Even Manning's deals weren't out of control, and as someone else mentioned, Manning was tagged twice while he was a Colt. 

Even on personnel, he negotiated hard with Pagano last year -- and ironically, media acted like he was treating Pagano unfairly. 

Irsay loves to pay his people well. That doesn't mean he just burns through money. Even when Luck signs his record contract, it's not going to be anything ridiculous. It will be the biggest contract the Colts have ever done, probably the biggest guarantee in league history, he'll probably be the highest paid player in the league, but everything will make sense.

My question is how would a writer for ESPN be privy to Luck, his agent and Irsay ?  I just don't think this article has any validity. Some of those comments are just absurd.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Brackett, Sanders (considering the injury history), Manning's final contract, Cherilus, Freeney are just a few that immediately come to mind.  that and more than once he's made "oh yeah we're going to make him the highest paid player..." :)

now maybe this is a case of something that all owners do but I don't follow other teams closely enough to realize it...I do know Kraft has made similar claims about Brady...but Irsay's comments haven't been limited to just Luck and/or Manning. :)

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I am not sure how that makes sense when he is not close to being the top player in the league. He is in his 5th year.  Paying for potential is out the window.

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I am not sure how that makes sense when he is not close to being the top player in the league. He is in his 5th year.  Paying for potential is out the window.

A cant speak for Superman but paying for potential is standard for QBs in the NFL. There are plenty of examples to list.

Let's trade him for Connor Cook! You gonna buy season tickets after we go 3-13 next year?

Whenever Luck signs this deal, he will still be the only player we have who is actually worth his contract. There are a lot of overpaid players, but none of those players are franchise quarterbacks.

4 minutes ago, threeflight said:

to the bolded part...huh?

1 minute ago, GoatBeard said:

Let's trade him for Connor Cook! You gonna buy season tickets after we go 3-13 next year?

Whenever Luck signs this deal, he will still be the only player we have who is actually worth his contract. There are a lot of overpaid players, but none of those players are franchise quarterbacks.

uh....no

6 minutes ago, threeflight said:

That's just how it works with qbs.   Has Eli ever been the best player in the nfl,   was cutler,  was rivers?

2 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Not sure how you can justify that.  Highest paid player in the NFL and he is worth it??

Again, change his name to Ryan Tanneyhill. Give him the same stats he has now through 5 years.  Are you going to make RT the highest paid player in the NFL?  

And if so, please justify how you can do that?  

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

That's just how it works with qbs.   Has Eli ever been the best player in the nfl,   was cutler,  was rivers?

to answer your questions (in random order) no, no and yes

57 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Rookie records.  Not NFL records.  And he also broke the record for turnovers if I am not mistaken.  

Look, no one is denying Luck is VERY good when he is not playing with his head cut off.  But highest paid player and its not even close good?  Cmon.......

What turnover record? Try again. I will take the guy who wins ugly over the guy who loses pretty any day of the week.

Andrew is a winner. Always has been. Pay the man Shirley!

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

No.  And I thought those teams were stupid in paying them that way.  What have they won sense besides NY?  And I would not say Eli won it for them.

The ONLY qb I can see the past 5 years worth it is Rodgers.  Denver just won a SB with a cripple.  New England wins SBs left and right with average (albeit clutch) Qb play.  You do not need a 'highest paid player Qb ever' to win.

Not sure how you can justify that.  Highest paid player in the NFL and he is worth it??

Again, change his name to Ryan Tanneyhill. Give him the same stats he has now through 5 years.  Are you going to make RT the highest paid player in the NFL?  

Just out of curiosity are you new to the NFL and how things work? I don't mean that as an insult, just as a simple question.

well here's the bottom line...we don't have to justify it, and neither does Irsay.  :)

1 minute ago, threeflight said:

No.  And I thought those teams were *ic in paying them that way.

The ONLY qb I can see the past 5 years worth it is Rodgers.  Denver just won a SB with a cripple.  New England wins SBs left and right with average (albeit clutch) Qb play.  You do not need a 'highest paid player Qb ever' to win.

:groan:

Uh..... yeah. Next time you watch a game go look at how many #12 jerseys are in the stands. You think anybody is gonna buy a damn Connor Cook jersey? 

what does my reply to you have anything to do with Connor Cook?  My comment was very specifically to your comment about Luck being the only Colt worth his contract.  THAT I disagree with.  So no idea what that has to do with Cook.

Why on earth are people so keen on trading Luck???  That is ludicrous !!!  What are we supposed to do, put a piece of paper on the field where Luck stands that says, future draft pick??  ROFL  Who is Kelly supposed to snap the ball to?

Trading Luck would be the absolute stupidest decision the Colts could ever make !!

4 minutes ago, threeflight said:

So let's pretend he is Ryan Tannehill? I don't understand. He's not Ryan Tannehill.

Contracts are paid mostly on potential. You can pay for the proven commodity now or be the Texans and pay 18 a season for a guy who is all potential. Take your pick.

Also, Luck was just voted the #7 player in football just 1 year ago, by his peers. He IS very close to becoming the best player in football. If you ask the GMs in the league who they would choose to start a franchise with, it would likely be Luck or Cam Newton, not Connor Cook or Jared Goff.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just out of curiosity are you new to the NFL and how things work? I don't mean that as an insult, just as a simple question.

Absolutely not.  I have been following the NFL and the Colts for 35 years.  Just won 4 of my 5 $200 and over per person fantasy leagues last year as well.  Not saying that makes me king of the nfl, but I know football.

What I am saying is Luck's reputation and persona is what is getting him paid imo, not his actual ability and stats.  That is why I am saying give Lucks stats to Tanneyhill, and no one would be saying make RT the highest paid player in the NFL.

So let's pretend he is Ryan Tannehill? I don't understand. He's not Ryan Tannehill.

Contracts are paid mostly on potential. You can pay for the proven commodity now or be the Texans and pay 18 a season for a guy who is all potential. Take your pick.

Also, Luck was just voted the #7 player in football just 1 year ago, by his peers. He IS very close to becoming the best player in football. If you ask the GMs in the league who they would choose to start a franchise with, it would likely be Luck or Cam Newton, not Connor Cook or Jared Goff.

I am saying that Lucks rep and persona makes him SEEM better than he actually is. 

He is very very good. He is not worth the highest contract in NFL history good, and I urge anyone to justify to me how he is.  History has taught us that paying a QB that kind of money rarely works.  You are much better off building a complete team and winning that way.  With paying Luck that kind of money, we are going to be stuck with Luck, a few good O players, and a terrible D.  Same as always.  And it will be Manning revisited.  Except right now, LUCK is no where close to what Manning was in his prime, who was actually worth the money he was paid.  Why?  Because he was the best player in the NFL. PERIOD. 

Is luck?  Not even close.  

4 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

what does my reply to you have anything to do with Connor Cook?  My comment was very specifically to your comment about Luck being the only Colt worth his contract.  THAT I disagree with.  So no idea what that has to do with Cook.

He sells out the stadium every single week. People pay to watch Andrew Luck. He gets us a tremendous amount of exposure. 9 times out of 10, if they are talking about the Colts on national TV they are talking about Andrew Luck. Every player on the team is asked about Andrew Luck in every single interview they do. There are more 12 jerseys out there than any other except 18. 

No other player on the team sells tickets. Do you pay to watch Vontae cover? Castonzo block? Vinatieri kick? No you don't and neither does anyone else.

This is foolish talk. The same % was said about Manning early in his career. Think if we would have listened to that nonsense.

5 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

Dude just called Brady average.

I said that NE won with over all team play.  Like always.  Rarely do they have to rely on Brady to win them football games by himself.  Now last year yes, he did a little more.  But they are a total team.  And Brady doesn't get paid anywhere close to what Luck is about to.