Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL.com Gil Brandt says the Jaguars are most likely to win the division

SilentHill

7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Came in to post this. Getting blown out by a team picking top 5 in the draft is no laughing matter. Luck or no Luck, that shouldn't happen. The Jaguars are well on their way.

Their biggest weakness is their O-Line, which doesn't matter since we have no pass rush. They're solid everywhere else though. They could probably use better safety's and a number 2 CB but that's scheme.

Them winning the division isn't a long shot at all.

Just a 2nd year player and he missed much of last season. S James Sample is a decent prospect.

They are the flavor of the month that's for sure.  

I also read something (I think it was LaCanfora) that said that the writer thought Mariota would eventually become the best QB in the division, but he did predict the Colts winning the division.

Hard to argue with the potential of that defense.

Bortles has looked very good and should improve. Plus, they always seem to be able to run the ball.

this division, at least on paper, looks to be almost a toss-up of who could win the division.

it should be interesting.

Let's be real for a minute... Jags are on the rise, but certainly aren't a team to beat!  They haven't established themselves one bit.  Just because you build off last season, sign a few high profile players, and a couple new draft picks doesn't mean it turns you into a favorite.  Now I wouldn't count them out, but I don't think they will win the division.  They should compete within, but at this point it's up for grabs.  There is not hands down favorite of the AFC South. 

My predicition

Cots 11-5

Jags 9-7

Texans 8-8

Titans 6-10

IMO this is the last year ANYBODY will speak out against the AFC South being a weak division, all teams are poised with potential to rise!  No teams will be the laughing stock of the NFL, and every team has something going for them in a positive direction.  Not just because I'm a Colts fan, but  they are the most experience/talented overall, they should be the best team (especially with a revamped coaching staff)

While I will agree that the Jags Seemed to improve vastly on defense this year, I think other teams have also.  I actually like the additions Indy brought in.  We didn't get a top rated Pass rusher?,...Can't fill every hole with big names, but the new DC will help, Mathis healthy will help, and I bet a couple guys we got in the draft/UDFA will surprise.

Offensively, I think Indy has the tools to outscore anyone in the NFL if it has to come down to that.  But i don't think it will considering My belief we may now have the deepest D-line in the NFL.  NOT the one with the most BIG names..but depth wise, we're stacked.  Which keeps the line running at 100% from the coin toss to the final whistle.

I think this year will be fun to watch.  We'll get to see Dorsett play more.  We get to see how our #2 pick from last year plays, Smith should have learned quite a bit, just like Luck and Anderson, while on the sidelines.  We had SO many names that could have/should have been difference makers off the field due to injury last year, that if they stay healthy this year could mean wonders for our team.  

Sadly, last years draft played dividends for us last year, even though we lost some to injuries, and couldn't play others because of depth, but we should see those guys come to fruition THIS year.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:52 AM, Smonroe said:

I agree, it does seem like the Jags have made the most improvements.  I was listening to the NFL Channel on Sirius when they were talking to a Jags announcer.  He said they're doing all the right things and he expects them to be a lot better this year.

He predicted 8-8. 

We will be a bit better than that and them winning the division isn't set in stone either for any of the teams in our division its not set in stone I don't think the Texans and titans improved much at all and the Jags we will see if all of the overpaid guys they signed will work out.

On 5/11/2016 at 10:00 AM, jskinnz said:

Not sure why that made you laugh.  I think it is pretty-well accepted that O'Brien is one of the better coaches in the league.  Winning like they have done with the hot-mess they have had at QB's in the last couple of years tells me they have to be getting pretty good coaching/

How is O'Brien any better than Pagano?  Houston has yet to have a good team in either season he has coached.  In 2015 the Colts QB position was eons worse than that of Houston's.  In 2014 Houston had a top 10 rated QB.....how is that a "hot mess"?

Not to mention Osweiller was worse last year than what Houston had in 2014 or 2015.  How will that improve them?

Lastly, that wildcat play on the goalline last year in the playoffs with Watt was certainly the stuff of genius and i'm sure garnered O'Brien alot of respect in the coaching community.....lol

On 5/11/2016 at 9:02 AM, SilentHill said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000661070/article/broncos-texans-among-most-vulnerable-division-winners-in-2016

Welp, it's over let's pack it in.... lol

I literally spit my drink on my desk when I read this article. I'm not discounting Jacksonville, but the author is surely discounting the Colts.

I'm still not sold on Blake Bortles until he really shows me something there's no way I'm picking the Jags. 

Bravado Sports Book in Vegas lists the Colts as the betting favorite for the AFC South. They do say that the Colts aren't improved over last year but are basing things on Luck being healthy all season. Here are the over/under for wins:

Indianapolis Colts 9.5

Houston Texans 8.5

Jacksonville Jaguars 7.5

Tennessee Titans 5.5

On 5/15/2016 at 2:55 PM, MacDee1975 said:

How is O'Brien any better than Pagano?  Houston has yet to have a good team in either season he has coached.  In 2015 the Colts QB position was eons worse than that of Houston's.  In 2014 Houston had a top 10 rated QB.....how is that a "hot mess"?

Not to mention Osweiller was worse last year than what Houston had in 2014 or 2015.  How will that improve them?

Lastly, that wildcat play on the goalline last year in the playoffs with Watt was certainly the stuff of genius and i'm sure garnered O'Brien alot of respect in the coaching community.....lol

Who was Houston's top ten rated QB in 2014? And how was Osweiler worse than Hoyer/Mallett in 2015?

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:02 AM, SilentHill said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000661070/article/broncos-texans-among-most-vulnerable-division-winners-in-2016

I literally spit my drink on my desk when I read this article. I'm not discounting Jacksonville, but the author is surely discounting the Colts.

Several of the talking heads have us competing for 3rd in the conference with Tennessee.....  Jacksonville and Houston fighting for the top spot...Granted it won't be easy this year, but these are the same ones that had us Winning the Super Bowl last year... Got to fill air time....  let them think what they will, Colts will just have to serve them a healthy portion of crow at year end...

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 7:32 PM, ColtStronger said:

Let's be real for a minute... Jags are on the rise, but certainly aren't a team to beat!  They haven't established themselves one bit.  Just because you build off last season, sign a few high profile players, and a couple new draft picks doesn't mean it turns you into a favorite.  Now I wouldn't count them out, but I don't think they will win the division.  They should compete within, but at this point it's up for grabs.  There is not hands down favorite of the AFC South. 

My predicition

Cots 11-5

Jags 9-7

Texans 8-8

Titans 6-10

IMO this is the last year ANYBODY will speak out against the AFC South being a weak division, all teams are poised with potential to rise!  No teams will be the laughing stock of the NFL, and every team has something going for them in a positive direction.  Not just because I'm a Colts fan, but  they are the most experience/talented overall, they should be the best team (especially with a revamped coaching staff)

Colts 10-6

Texans 9-7

Jags 9-7

Titans 6-10

- For my final predictions regarding the Division. The Division as a whole will be 34-30 as I have it so it will be better.

-I love it that a lot of the media are counting us out. Less pressure.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Who was Houston's top ten rated QB in 2014? And how was Osweiler worse than Hoyer/Mallett in 2015?

1)  Ryan Fitzpatrick, rated 9th in the league (ESPN)

2)  Because he was rated as being worse: 

#18 Hoyer (ESPN).....

#25 Osweiller (ESPN).....

Mallett is immaterial.  Should go without saying that I was referring to Houston's regular starting qb for the season, Hoyer;  not everyone who took a snap.  Just as I was for 2014 when referring to Fitzpatrick.

3 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

1)  Ryan Fitzpatrick, rated 9th in the league (ESPN)

2)  Because he was rated as being worse: 

#18 Hoyer (ESPN).....

#25 Osweiller (ESPN).....

Mallett is immaterial.  Should go without saying that I was referring to Houston's regular starting qb for the season, Hoyer;  not everyone who took a snap.  Just as I was for 2014 when referring to Fitzpatrick.

If I had known you were using QBR, I wouldn't have bothered. QBR isn't real. Osweiler is better than Hoyer, and I'm not even an Osweiler fan.

Mallett started four games for Houston, and played in two others. He was a part of the equation. Doesn't change anything, as Osweiler is better than him, too.

Fitzpatrick has a strong case, but was very inconsistent.

End of the day, I don't understand why O'Brien is considered to be a good coach by some. He's quickly reached overrated status, IMO. But I don't think he's had any QBing worth mentioning since he's been in Houston.

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

If I had known you were using QBR, I wouldn't have bothered. QBR isn't real. Osweiler is better than Hoyer, and I'm not even an Osweiler fan.

Mallett started four games for Houston, and played in two others. He was a part of the equation. Doesn't change anything, as Osweiler is better than him, too.

Fitzpatrick has a strong case, but was very inconsistent.

End of the day, I don't understand why O'Brien is considered to be a good coach by some. He's quickly reached overrated status, IMO. But I don't think he's had any QBing worth mentioning since he's been in Houston.

I go by actual statistics and production on the field, not feelings, eye tests and measurables.

Hoyer was better and more productive than Osweiller in 2015.  There is nothing tangible to indicate Osweiller was better. 

Mallett, as I explained, isn't material to this discussion and not part of my original point.

I don't pay much attention to predictions. As we have all seen there are at least 5 or 6 teams who fall out of their predicted records just as there are 5 or 6 who achieve a lot better records than predicted. All this is is media hype to give themselves and fans something to occupy time and face time for themselves. Each season brings a boat load of variables that effect the outcome of all teams.

34 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

I go by actual statistics and production on the field, not feelings, eye tests and measurables.

Hoyer was better and more productive than Osweiller in 2015.  There is nothing tangible to indicate Osweiller was better. 

Mallett, as I explained, isn't material to this discussion and not part of my original point.

Yet you go by QBR, which is heavily influenced by intangibles...

39 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yet you go by QBR, which is heavily influenced by intangibles...

I go by a number that has limited transparency at to how it's calculated, you know, actual statistics. 

To be fair, while QBR shouldn't be the seen as the be all and end all I do think it's better than passer rating. 

It's pretty silly to have a memory so short as to ignore Luck's body of work simply because of the circumstances of last year....and to pick any team to win the division other than the Colts is to ignore Luck's body of work.

It's nice that the rest of the division has sharp up and coming QB'S but it's a tough league to win in, and only 1 QB in this division has shown he can do it.

I do see a shift within the division on how to play the Colts. In the past most of the other three were trying to build strong defenses to play against Manning. They did everything they could to stop Manning. It didn't work. When Luck came into the league they still had the same mindset. Draft players to pressure Luck because he was a rookie. That didn't work at first either. They are finally thinking to stop the Colts you have to score more points. Thus the other three teams signing the best QBs available to them. It has now become who has the most talented team in all phases of the game.

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

I go by a number that has limited transparency at to how it's calculated, you know, actual statistics. 

To be fair, while QBR shouldn't be the seen as the be all and end all I do think it's better than passer rating. 

It's different than passer rating. It has a different objective, and it's not just an aggregate stat.

I'm fine with what it's trying to be, but until they publish their formula, I can't take it seriously. And they can't publish a formula because it's partially dependent on subjective analysis. And that's where the irony comes in.

Most Likely doesnt say alot to me. In reality, anyone can win. Injuries always seem to derail someones season. I think Tennessee is going to be stronger. they looked pretty focused on offensive improvement. Jacksonville was alot of D. and Houston has very solid to D. start with, just need help on O. Hopefully Colts can stay healthy for a change, I think they will hold their own. 1. Colts 2. Houston 3. Jacksonville 4. Tennessee

8 hours ago, Superman said:

It's different than passer rating. It has a different objective, and it's not just an aggregate stat.

I'm fine with what it's trying to be, but until they publish their formula, I can't take it seriously. And they can't publish a formula because it's partially dependent on subjective analysis. And that's where the irony comes in.

Bingo.. at that point you're into PFF territory and again I quite like PFF but you have to take it with a pinch of salt and not as gospel. But then why is such a thing so popular? Because people love the idea of having everything being broken down into one number so they can say my guy is better than your guy FACT.

We both know it's a lot more nuanced than that and really it will still come down to your own opinion and that's something that should be formed from watching the game, not reading someone else's take.  

On May 11, 2016 at 0:59 PM, Valpo2004 said:

I'm not discounting any team in this division from having a chance at winning it.  All 4 teams appear to have decent franchise QB's.  

If we're gonna keep winning this division and keep competing for SB's we're gonna have to get more talent around Luck.  Mostly on defense.  

Broncos

On 5/11/2016 at 9:02 AM, SilentHill said:

:spit:

The Jaguars what a crock .  There players keep dropping like flies everyone looks good on paper but paper tigers only win on paper lets see what happens on the field before we Coronate any 1 . 

1 hour ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

:spit:

The Jaguars what a crock .  There players keep dropping like flies everyone looks good on paper but paper tigers only win on paper lets see what happens on the field before we Coronate any 1 . 

My over/under for the Jags is 8.5. I think they either go 8-8 or 9-7. I have been on record saying 9-7 because I am nice guy haha The Packers are going to beat them on opening day so they will already be in a 0-1 hole. They aren't beating Rodgers.

Since the Division became the AFC South the Jags have never won the Division either.

2002 - Titans

2003-2007 Colts

2008 - Titans

2009-2010 Colts

2011-2012 Texans

2013-2014 Colts

2015 - Texans

The Jags are the last team I would bet on winning anything of significance. Colts 9, Texans 3, Titans 2, Jags 0.

18 hours ago, ztboiler said:

It's pretty silly to have a memory so short as to ignore Luck's body of work simply because of the circumstances of last year....and to pick any team to win the division other than the Colts is to ignore Luck's body of work.

It's nice that the rest of the division has sharp up and coming QB'S but it's a tough league to win in, and only 1 QB in this division has shown he can do it.

Bump :)

19 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

21 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

I think I know what you're saying. But you can't use QBR & say "not feelings, eye tests, & immeasruables." QBR uses a lot of that. 

Hey, I'm fine if you're wanting to say Fitz was a top 10 QB. But he was severly hamstrung in 2014 & we won because of Foster. O'b didn't let Fitz take too many chances. Now if Fitz played like he did last year, you're point would have more merit. He was a dynamo last year & a major part of the Jets winning season. 

But you'll only notice that difference using the eye test & feelings.