Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Another "what If" Question

Tracy Denton

I can't really think of many, if any, GREAT players being successful as coaches. Jim Harbaugh is doing well but i don't consider him an "elite" player. Good? probably, but not great.

In fact, many "experts" have said that it is difficult for "top" athletes to be coaches. They have trouble understanding why most players can't achieve what the great player/now coach thinks they should be able to.

They get frustrated. mike Singletary is a great example.

That being said, I'd LOVE to see Peyton involved with the team in some capacity when he does retire. (hopefully later, not sooner)

I can't really think of many, if any, GREAT players being successful as coaches. Jim Harbaugh is doing well but i don't consider him an "elite" player. Good? probably, but not great.

In fact, many "experts" have said that it is difficult for "top" athletes to be coaches. They have trouble understanding why most players can't achieve what the great player/now coach thinks they should be able to.

That being said, I'd LOVE to see Peyton involved with the team in some capacity when he does retire. (hopefully later, not sooner)

I was watching the exact same thing the other day. I think it was first take/first and ten?

Kin of a tired subject but Manning does have years of experience teaching high school kids the techniques of a pro QB. Also Peyton and Eli were essentially coached by their father from their first steps. There is some coaching pedigree there, although informal. However its hard to argue with the results. Just some food for thought.

Tom Landry was an All Pro safety

Dick LeBeau was a 3 time Pro Bowl cornerback who is #7 on the career interception list

Kin of a tired subject but Manning does have years of experience teaching high school kids the techniques of a pro QB. Also Peyton and Eli were essentially coached by their father from their first steps. There is some coaching pedigree there, although informal. However its hard to argue with the results. Just some food for thought.

To Me there isn't a better studant of the game than Manning, When he was health and playing....it was his offence and he called play as he seen fit, yes,Moore would give him a handful of plays but Manning controled everything (offence), so I think he would be a good coach! even when he does play, you can see him on the sidelines giving instructions, He is a leader and thats what we need in our coach's.

OK, "what if" Manning decides that he is not 100% and retires, Would you like to see him as a Colts coach? QB, OC or both ? I would love to see this happen if/when Manning decides to hang up his cleats.

I would love to see this, a lot later of course. I know history has it's results of failures but I believe Peyton would be an exception.

In Peyton we trust.

A question to know would be does Peyton want to coach? I'm not sure I've ever heard him mention it.

Funny thing is when I used to play Madden(like2007) the game, I would play the franchise mode(the colts or course). And when the players retired sometimes they would come back to coach, Peyton never did. And I played like 10 years into the future, and quite a few different franchises. Heck Frave even came back to coach but Peyton never did. I just thought it was wired cause I thought he would want to coach after his career. I know it's just a game but it made me think

I don't think he would go immediately into coaching. I think he would probably take a few years off and spend time with his family. Then go back into the game

I wonder why Archie never pursued coaching? Seems like he would've been good at it.

I would love to see this, a lot later of course. I know history has it's results of failures but I believe Peyton would be an exception.

In Peyton we trust.

A question to know would be does Peyton want to coach? I'm not sure I've ever heard him mention it.

Funny thing is when I used to play Madden(like2007) the game, I would play the franchise mode(the colts or course). And when the players retired sometimes they would come back to coach, Peyton never did. And I played like 10 years into the future, and quite a few different franchises. Heck Frave even came back to coach but Peyton never did. I just thought it was wired cause I thought he would want to coach after his career. I know it's just a game but it made me think

I was playing Madden 10and he did come back as a coach one time. I hired him as offensive coordinator and my team proceeded to average 45 points and 600 yards a game.

I would like to say to look at the Niners DB coach. It is Hall Of famer Rod Woodson. IMO he is doing a great job with the Niner secondary.

I know it's been said that great athletes don't make good coaches, because they get by on their extraordinary athletic abilities, and aren't very good students of the game.

I don't see Peyton as being either of those (extraordinary athlete, or bad student of the game). With his study habits, and attention to detail He could be a great coach.

The questions then become:

- Can he teach others?

- Does he have the patience?

- Does it interest him?

Tom Landry was an All Pro safety

Dick LeBeau was a 3 time Pro Bowl cornerback who is #7 on the career interception list

OK , that was players from DECADES ago. How about some in the past decade or two?

I would like to say to look at the Niners DB coach. It is Hall Of famer Rod Woodson. IMO he is doing a great job with the Niner secondary.

Rod Woodson at DB coach can hardly be compared to Peyton as an OC or Head Coach.

Just look at the way peyton gets irritated with Clyde or even Donald brown. I'm not sure peyton would have the patience.

Peyton teaching high school kids at a camp hardly compares to NFL players.

I know it's been said that great athletes don't make good coaches, because they get by on their extraordinary athletic abilities, and aren't very good students of the game.

I don't see Peyton as being either of those (extraordinary athlete, or bad student of the game). With his study habits, and attention to detail He could be a great coach.

The questions then become:

- Can he teach others?

- Does he have the patience?

- Does it interest him?

I think Peyton is smart enough to realize you make good money doing TV and you don't get fired doing TV. Well unless your name is Boomer Esiason and you are calling MNF...

OK, "what if" Manning decides that he is not 100% and retires, Would you like to see him as a Colts coach? QB, OC or both ? I would love to see this happen if/when Manning decides to hang up his cleats.

This kind of thinking is due to fan hysteria about Manning playing for another team.