Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tyler Varga's concussion story

MrNLM

Just came across this rebuttal of some of the points brought up in the Varga article. It's from Reddit, so take it for what it's worth, and beware of language in the comments.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Colts/comments/4ir9ev/a_detailed_review_of_the_tyler_varga_article_from/

An excerpt:

Further down the article states that after Varga consulted over the phone with doctors at Yale he was told not to take the drug. "The worst case, they told me, were some psychotic reactions like schizophrenia" - - This is simply not true. The FDA does not list schizophrenia as a side effect of Amantadine. "side effects include nervousness, anxiety, agitation, insomnia, difficulty in concentrating, and exacerbations of pre-existing seizure disorders and psychiatric symptoms in patients with schizophrenia or Parkinson's disease" Translation: If you already have schizophrenia this drug can worsen your symptoms But it does not cause schizophrenia.

I don't see the article as a problem for the Colts or Varga.  I do, however, see head trauma that takes 4 months to recover from as a big problem for both he and the Colts.  You are never quite the same after that.  

All human interest elements aside, from a football perspective, you really don't want to tie up a precious roster spot on an unproven player that has elevated risk to miss significant time with chronic concussions - especially when their deployment is concentrated in the high speed collision applications.