Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

rebuilding?

OLD FAN MAN

5 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

@Superman covered this good enough when discussing "bad team building."  I'll just add the very practical consideration that you are just throwing caution to the wind on.  The ONLY way that trade works si if he comes in and dominates to the point he deserves top 5 money - I'll say again, the ONLY way.  If he doesn't, you're in contract negotiations the following year with a guy who will, without a doubt demand top 5 money.  You pay him, and you have a lot of cap tied up for hte next 4 years at least.  If he's not as productive, that's a lot of unproductive cash you might as well flush down the toilet.  If we don't pay him what he wants, he hits free agency and you've given up 4 years times two players of comprable output for basically 1 year of one player of underperformance.  The latter by the way would also be the more expensive option - a 2nd/3rd round rookie together cost roughly $8mill over the course of 4 years and 1 year of Chandler Jones costs $8mill for 2017 alone.  That's just TERRIBLE management of your roster.  If he was in the 2nd year of his rookie deal, itd' be a different story, but he's not and you don't know what you're going to get.  You can justify giving up a 2nd, but again, pats may not want to give that to us considering we're in their conference/rivals.  And you don't just throw more rookie picks on it "just cause." You could trade all that and it could blow up in your face even worse than any of us are imagining.  

I'm all for buildingo ur pass rush, but you've got to do it so that you have a future as well.  Situations like the Giants, Chargers, and formerly the Broncos are different.  They mortgaged their future because they had good pieces in place, but their QB is on the tail end of their career.  Their window is much shorter.  We do it the way you describe, and we affect the future much like missing on Werner and the Trent trade have caused.  Do you really think it's that important to trade so much and gamble on 1 year at the expense of Andrew Luck's prime?

Yup, I didn't feel like breaking it all down, but I'm glad someone did. The Jones situation has the feeling of a guy getting ready to put up 8 sacks and then demand $15m/year. Which would mean you gave up two picks and $8m and a young OL for a one year rental. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Yup, I didn't feel like breaking it all down, but I'm glad someone did. The Jones situation has the feeling of a guy getting ready to put up 8 sacks and then demand $15m/year. Which would mean you gave up two picks and $8m and a young OL for a one year rental. 

It just makes no sense when you stand in the GM shoes and put your job and your team's assets on the line. Otherwise its just funny money and easy to act like trades in Madden or fantasy (dont nean to belittle anyone, but think its an appropriate comparison) are mainstream.