Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning visits Miami to help Ryan Tannehill learn Gase's offense

Possibly as some sort of thank you (or maybe just because he's a nice guy), the now-retired Manning visited Gase at his new gig earlier this offseason and gave some instruction to Gase's new pupil, Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill. Per the Miami Herald, Manning took a trip down to Miami to work with Tannehill and instruct him in the ways of Gase's offense.

"It was really cool," Tannehill said. "A guy that had his career, the living legend he is, coming off a Super Bowl winning season -- it was really cool just to be able to sit and pick his brain about things he's done in this offense and football things in general: snap counts, things you like, the way you want guys to run routes, little details about the game. We really just got to talk the game, which is something we both love."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25581799/peyton-manning-visited-his-former-ocs-new-qb-to-help-learn-the-offense

55 minutes ago, bayone said:

Possibly as some sort of thank you (or maybe just because he's a nice guy), the now-retired Manning visited Gase at his new gig earlier this offseason and gave some instruction to Gase's new pupil, Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill. Per the Miami Herald, Manning took a trip down to Miami to work with Tannehill and instruct him in the ways of Gase's offense.

"It was really cool," Tannehill said. "A guy that had his career, the living legend he is, coming off a Super Bowl winning season -- it was really cool just to be able to sit and pick his brain about things he's done in this offense and football things in general: snap counts, things you like, the way you want guys to run routes, little details about the game. We really just got to talk the game, which is something we both love."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25581799/peyton-manning-visited-his-former-ocs-new-qb-to-help-learn-the-offense

Maybe it was a sorry I got you fired thing after back to back disappointing playoff games. He had an awful SB (granted the whole team played very poorly and his OL let defenders in his face the whole game) and then the poor outing against the Colts (yes I know he was injured). Maybe it was his way of trying to make it up to Adam. I'm just kidding....Peyton is known for his supporting his coaches that have helped him along the way so it is obviously a way for him to do something nice for Adam. Hopefully Ryan will learn some things because he has had a lot of potential for some time now...time to live up to it.

Maybe he wants to coach.  

I just don't know if he's going to be able to coach someone who doesn't have the same ability to recognize things as he did.  

I imagine Peyton running up to a QB coming off the field after a unsuccessful 3rd down and saying "HIS LEFT INDEX FINGER TWITCHED!!! DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS???"

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I imagine Peyton running up to a QB coming off the field after a unsuccessful 3rd down and saying "HIS LEFT INDEX FINGER TWITCHED!!! DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS???"

The QB answers, sorry coach but my bad that was his left but my right!... Hated that when doing commands in formation I had to think the opposite direction of the troops facing me!

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Maybe he wants to coach.  

I just don't know if he's going to be able to coach someone who doesn't have the same ability to recognize things as he did.  

1 hour ago, 100GFB said:

The QB answers, sorry coach but my bad that was his left but my right!... Hated that when doing commands in formation I had to think the opposite direction of the troops facing me!

the article states unfortunately really couldn't do much as'

Apparently they didn't get too much into the nitty, gritty details of the offense, though.

"At that time, we weren't able to meet with the coaches or anything, so I didn't really have a great handle yet," Tannehill said. "So I wasn't really able to dive into the playbook too much. So I had a few questions (for Manning).

If he comes back now, we can have a completely different conversation."

I don't see Peyton wanting to coach he has a home in Miami and well he paid a visit I don't think its much else.

Well that and its obvious he's addicted to football so he has to be near it in some capacity.

Maybe he also wanted to coach up Tannenhill to try to reduce the Patriots chances of winning this season. Remember, the Patriots play Miami in their first four weeks. The Patriots won't put up their usual 40+ score, so Tannenhill more than ever needs to play mistake free football.

Tannehill has been tutored now by 2 HOF QBs in Marino & Manning. Will Ryan reach the SB? No, but it's good to see that he's smart enough to listen, absorb, & soak up the tremendous knowledge that they have for this great game called NFL football at least. 

Ryan deserves credit for that. As far as Adam goes, he's a sharp fella too probably 1 of the smartest coaches Miami has hired in a very long time. 

It's cool to see Adam & Peyton reminisce about happier days in Denver & formation concepts etc. etc. That's what I like about football: The lifelong relationships & bonds that you build. Success on the field on Sundays is a game of inches or 1 dropped pass for a first down. 

We have a lot of savvy minds in football beyond Belichick & it's nice to be reminded of that fact once in awhile. Hades, even Bruce Arians is building a nice reputation as an innovative head coach in this League & I suspect that Dolphins fans will come to appreciate what Mr. Gase brings to the table too. Cutler even looked legitimate last yr in Chicago & Adam is a big reason why IMO. 

50 minutes ago, CF4L said:

I don't see Peyton wanting to coach he has a home in Miami and well he paid a visit I don't think its much else.

Well that and its obvious he's addicted to football so he has to be near it in some capacity.

I agree...CF..

..and Gase's offense is Peyton's offense...

I'd love to see Peyton come to Indy and talk to Andrew but we don't run that offense..

You wont see Peyton trying to help Paxton Lynch in Denver for the same reason

He's hardly an expert on Gary Kubiak's offense but Peyton knows exactly what Adam Gase is trying to do with the Tan Man..

Going to be interesting to watch Miami this fall

This title is no misleading. I know why they did it, but the title should have been "Peyton stops by to see Gase, and has a good chat with Tannehill." All they did was talk about football and the system. As far as Tannehill, I think Gase will help, but he was able to help Cutler because he has tangibles, really good arm, etc. If he only had intangibles, he would be an elite QB. I don't know what Tannehill has, but it sure would be nice it NE got some competition in that division. It is like the AFC South, although our teams seem to have found QB's we think. NYJ, Buff. & Miami. How many years have those 3 teams gone without an elite QB?

14 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I agree...CF..

..and Gase's offense is Peyton's offense...

I'd love to see Peyton come to Indy and talk to Andrew but we don't run that offense..

You wont see Peyton trying to help Paxton Lynch in Denver for the same reason

He's hardly an expert on Gary Kubiak's offense but Peyton knows exactly what Adam Gase is trying to do with the Tan Man..

Going to be interesting to watch Miami this fall

^^^^This

That is the true offense that Peyton can help with. Gase basically ran Tom Moore's offense with a few tweaks and sometimes more tempo. Great offense for the regular season but not for the playoffs because it does not control tempo with the run game as much as the Kubiak's offense, even if the run game is not stellar.

Plus, they allow more DB contact in the playoffs throwing off the timing in a typical Peyton offense thus reducing its effectiveness, IMO.

Surprised this hasn't been talked about yet, but do any of you think one little cherry on top reason for why Peyton wanted to coach up Tannenhill is because he wants to help them beat the Patriots? The Patriots won't have Brady in their first four weeks, so it might be a turnover battle, meaning it will be important for Ryan Tannenhill to manage the game and let his defense do the heavy lifting.

1 hour ago, ReMeDy said:

Surprised this hasn't been talked about yet, but do any of you think one little cherry on top reason for why Peyton wanted to coach up Tannenhill is because he wants to help them beat the Patriots? The Patriots won't have Brady in their first four weeks, so it might be a turnover battle, meaning it will be important for Ryan Tannenhill to manage the game and let his defense do the heavy lifting.

I'm sorry but I think you are reaching here. I think Peyton does not share nearly the same obsession you have with taking down the Patriots, as much as you'd like to think :). 

Jeez, Manning stops by to say hi and it turns into some sort of reason to cause a tornado of rumors. Media and a lot of fans must really be starved for something in the off season. It's like reading an article in a National Inquirer, :dunno:..............:groan:

1 hour ago, ReMeDy said:

I'm sure that's an added bonus but I don't think he hates the Patriots as much as we do either. 

17 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

I don't think peyton cares about who wins the AFC East

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:56 AM, chad72 said:

^^^^This

That is the true offense that Peyton can help with. Gase basically ran Tom Moore's offense with a few tweaks and sometimes more tempo. Great offense for the regular season but not for the playoffs because it does not control tempo with the run game as much as the Kubiak's offense, even if the run game is not stellar.

Plus, they allow more DB contact in the playoffs throwing off the timing in a typical Peyton offense thus reducing its effectiveness, IMO.

Chad..I think what Peyton and Tom Moore..and Adam Gase did DOES work in the playoffs..

....Peyton lost in some strange circumstances..

Put that offense in warm weather (Miami) and Tannehill will have every opportunity to reach his potential.

Isnt he the guy who wasn't even a QB until late in high school ?