Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Just Wanna Get Something Off My Chest

As long as we keep Luck uptight and get him playing to his potential we are a SB contender every year. Just remember, even Manning had a horrible 3rd year. Which led to Dungy (major coaching changes that we just did). Our defense I think is a lot better now than those Manning defenses. Although Manning had Edge, Harrison, Wayne, Clark

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

I don't start of being either positive or negative, having a pre-set disposition leads to not viewing things objectively. I try to be balanced based on what actually happens. 

I see no reason to write them off either but that's different to pretending that there aren't areas of legitimate concern.

There is no need for you to talk to me like I don't know football. I have been watching football more than likely longer than you have been alive.

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

There is no need for you to talk to me like I don't know football. I have been watching football more than likely longer than you have been alive.

I'm not talking to you like anything. Just stating my position.

I never mentioned your knowledge at all although if you have more than 34 years of watching football I applaud your longevity. 

this season will come down to a few things. will this oline protect luck better? will teddy m's defense improve our defense? will chub use hilton moncrief and dorsett to take advantage of certain matchups? can we provide gore enough running room to give us a legitimate running threat? if the answers to these questions are yes, then we'll have one heck of a season

3 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I'm not talking to you like anything. Just stating my position.

I never mentioned your knowledge at all although if you have more than 34 years of watching football I applaud your longevity. 

If you are 34 I had already been drafted and served in the Army, married, divorced, remarried and adopted 3 kids before you were born. Being positive and optimistic is just a part of being a fan. I have been a Colts fan since 1973. Before that I was a Bears fan because that is who my parents were fans of.

By finally prioritizing the oline properly, and adding what I think is a good oline coach in philbin, the Colts can move the ball at will, and control the time of possession. If you control the time of possession, you limit the chance the other team had (I say had because they're going to lose) to score, and your defense is well rested. The colts have all other pieces on offense in place, for an elite unit. The only thing that the colts did absolutely need, was offensive lineman. 

Remember last year when we were winning time of possesion. The defense in the end, wasn't ranked very high, but in the beginning they showed signs of improvement than years previously, and were pretty stout against the run compared to years past. 

On paper the colts are showing vast improvement along with tinkering of the Defense which wasn't as bad as it appeared to be. If Andrew can come back to form and possibly improve (which isn't unlikely having sat and watched, and probably studied), the colts are contenders. Get to the Super Bowl this year, and next years draft of heavy defense, and tinker with the offense, you could possibly see a dynasty on your hands. 

Trenches boys. 

The fact this team went 8-8 without Andrew Luck for over half the season including going 6-3 without him proves either Andrew Luck is extremely overrated or Pagano is a lot better coach than people gave him credit for and they have more talent than they were given credit for.

i know which side I side with.  

This is team still has flaws but they aren't terrible.

8 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

I'm not so sure. I feel like we're further away than we were at this time last year but while we have Luck we can never be completely ruled out.

The reasons for my perceived regression comes down to the following. 

1) key players aging. Adams, DQ, Mathis, Cole and Gore are all day one starters and are all deep into the age range where they should be getting worse. The aging linebacker room is a major worry and the back ups in those positions are hardly banging on the door to take over.

2) Failure to improve the defence. Our CB2 is better but to balance that our we've lost our best MLB. Our defence was poor last year and I'm not sure that sustaining drives through an improved offensive line is going to makes it better.

3)  Lack of immediate impact acquired in the draft. We have improved 1 position in the draft for this season (Kelly) and even that is in a role I don't believe it's necessary to have a 1st round, pro-bowl player. The rest of the players we've got may be nice developmental projects whose weaknesses could be smoothed out over time but in terms of improvement for next year I don't expect too much. 

4) lack of pass rush. I suppose this is linked to numbers 1 & 3 but it deserves a note of its own. Aging linebackers and low round projects attempting to get to the opposition quarterback? I couldn't be less enthusiastic about out prospects in this key aspect of the game.

5) the AFC south getting stronger. All three of our opponents are on an upward curve and we've already lost the air of invincibility in our division. It's at least arguable to suggest that we have the worst defence in the division and I'd consider it pretty definite that we have the worst running back options. Apart from quarterback I don't think there's one position group we could claim to out on our own as superior.

I know we've got new position coaches and this gives some hope of improvement but on balance I have doubt that it would be enough to overcome those 5 deficiencies. 

To be fair, I think it's very possible we have 2-3 starters from this draft in Clark, Kelly, and Green. I think it's likely Green probably doesn't start until next season but it's still possible. I think it's more than likely Kelly and Clark start right away.

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think our pass rush will be as poor as you might think it will be. As bad as things were last season we still had 37 sacks. We also had 19 interceptions. We had 14 forced fumbles too. Our defense was not as bad as it seemed because the losses were due to the lack of offense. You speak of the injuries to the Bengals and Bronco's? We had just as many if not more injuries than they did.

I won't refute the first part until I see what happens this season. The injuries the Bengals and Broncos had were much more significant though. The Bengals lost AJ Green and Peyton Manning was hurt when we played the Broncos.

11 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

I won't refute the first part until I see what happens this season. The injuries the Bengals and Broncos had were much more significant though. The Bengals lost AJ Green and the Peyton Manning was hurt when we played yhe Broncos.

Just for your information the Colts didn't play the Bengals last season so I think you are confused. As far as Manning was concerned he played well enough to throw for 281 yards and 2 TDs and those numbers were better than Lucks.

9 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

Eh... we were lucky to get to the AFC championship game with our horrible division and injuries to the Bengals and Broncos. Our division is MUCH better so it will not be easy by any means. Without a pass rush I don't see us making it too far this year.. we'll see what happens. 

I think people are focusing WAY too much on the pass rush thing. The team has been upgraded pretty much across the board at positions of huge need, so while it would be nice to have a Von Miller or JJ Watt, I just don't see the lack of an elite pass rusher preventing the Colts from winning 10-12 games this season.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

IMO that is a little premature to judge things. I have seen team lose a couple of games and then run off 8+ wins in a row.

You can always tell what a team is like during that game. It's not premature by any means. You can rewatch our game and you'll see last years weaknesses. 

14 hours ago, ColtsBleedBlue said:

For all the people who don't think the Colts will easily once again be a Super Bowl contender they are crazy. With Luck and a crappy offensive line and a average at best

defense we made the AFC Championship Game. I see us going to the Championship game once again. With an improved offensive line (finally) and an improved secondary and defensive line, and honestly I like all the draft picks. I think we got  dogs. We got boys that want to win and that want to prove they can make it. Once again just something I want to get off my chest.

You can't say things are improved when it's just a couple weeks after the draft. 

16 minutes ago, a06cc said:

You can always tell what a team is like during that game. It's not premature by any means. You can rewatch our game and you'll see last years weaknesses. 

Really? Then how come the Colts during their winning seasons lost pretty much all of their pre season games? The teams do not show what their going to do in regular season in the pre season games. Some of the starters don't even play. There is no way you can judge regular season on how a pre season game is played. If it happens you hand pick one Colt pre season game to make a blanket statement then IMO, the facts do not back that up.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you are 34 I had already been drafted and served in the Army, married, divorced, remarried and adopted 3 kids before you were born. Being positive and optimistic is just a part of being a fan. I have been a Colts fan since 1973. Before that I was a Bears fan because that is who my parents were fans of.

My life story is similar. What difference does it make.

Can't understand what you brought it up 

Teams can regress from one year to the next.  It's natural depending on many circumstances.  THis is not the year for that with us, imo.  I still think back to what Clyde Christenson (sp) said after he accepted his new job with Miami.  I have to believe that what Clyde said is true.  I also have to believe our Oline will be better because we finally invested in it.  The draft, Philbin, a change in style more suited to what we want to do.  PIcked up a couple of veteran backs, replaced Toler, etc....

The presence of Luck, to whom Christensen had grown very close, made leaving a more difficult proposition. Luck is coming off the toughest year of his football career, missing nine games with shoulder and kidney injuries and watching his team miss the playoffs for the first time. But Christensen is adamant Luck will be better for having been through the 2015 season.

Sitting out allowed Luck, Christensen said, to see the game from a different perspective. And to ensure that Luck made good use of his down time, Christensen assigned Luck a number of thought-provoking "projects" aimed at aiding his development. Most involved studying certain opponents on film or various types of defenses.

"We made a point to emphasize that this would not be a wasted year," Christensen said. "I look at it like this was the last year of undergrad work for him. He'd experienced everything but a physical injury. So, this was an important year. Anyone who thinks this year didn't help him just doesn't understand. He learned so much. One of Peyton's key years was the year he was hurt. He grew as a husband and a family man and teammate. This year will propel Andrew."

The growth for Luck, Christensen said, will help him gain a better command of what, specifically, defenses are trying to do to stop the three-time Pro Bowl quarterback.

"(The offense) has to become yours," Christensen said. "It's not just about what the play caller calls. When you really understand all that, that's the mark of a great player."

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I chose to be optimistic and positive. I don't start out being all negative as it's been years since we had back to back bad seasons. This is the NFL and some teams are going to very good and there is no reason the Colts cant be. There has been quite a few teams that won a super bowl from a wild card spot and as an underdog. I'm not writing them off before the season even starts.

And I'll add that if we go 8-8 or worse, with a healthy Andrew Luck, then the meltdown should commence fully. But until/if that happens, I choose to be optimistic with all of the personnel/coaching upgrades we seem to be making. Might not be the "sexy" pick by the analysts to win the South, but win it we will anyhow. JMO

52 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Teams can regress from one year to the next.  It's natural depending on many circumstances.  THis is not the year for that with us, imo.  I still think back to what Clyde Christenson (sp) said after he accepted his new job with Miami.  I have to believe that what Clyde said is true.  I also have to believe our Oline will be better because we finally invested in it.  The draft, Philbin, a change in style more suited to what we want to do.  PIcked up a couple of veteran backs, replaced Toler, etc....

The presence of Luck, to whom Christensen had grown very close, made leaving a more difficult proposition. Luck is coming off the toughest year of his football career, missing nine games with shoulder and kidney injuries and watching his team miss the playoffs for the first time. But Christensen is adamant Luck will be better for having been through the 2015 season.

Sitting out allowed Luck, Christensen said, to see the game from a different perspective. And to ensure that Luck made good use of his down time, Christensen assigned Luck a number of thought-provoking "projects" aimed at aiding his development. Most involved studying certain opponents on film or various types of defenses.

"We made a point to emphasize that this would not be a wasted year," Christensen said. "I look at it like this was the last year of undergrad work for him. He'd experienced everything but a physical injury. So, this was an important year. Anyone who thinks this year didn't help him just doesn't understand. He learned so much. One of Peyton's key years was the year he was hurt. He grew as a husband and a family man and teammate. This year will propel Andrew."

The growth for Luck, Christensen said, will help him gain a better command of what, specifically, defenses are trying to do to stop the three-time Pro Bowl quarterback.

"(The offense) has to become yours," Christensen said. "It's not just about what the play caller calls. When you really understand all that, that's the mark of a great player."

Great post. Gaining perspective does count for something in the eyes of a QB on the sidelines.

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think our pass rush will be as poor as you might think it will be. As bad as things were last season we still had 37 sacks. We also had 19 interceptions. We had 14 forced fumbles too. Our defense was not as bad as it seemed because the losses were due to the lack of offense. You speak of the injuries to the Bengals and Bronco's? We had just as many if not more injuries than they did.

True.  We were missing 4 of our top 5 Receivers and two of our best LB`ers against Cincy.
  And against Denver our QB couldn`t throw a str8 ball more than 10 yards.
  You ARE one Crazy___ Colt!

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think our pass rush will be as poor as you might think it will be. As bad as things were last season we still had 37 sacks. We also had 19 interceptions. We had 14 forced fumbles too. Our defense was not as bad as it seemed because the losses were due to the lack of offense.

Not the poster you were responding to but the Colts had one of the worst 3rd down defenses in the NFL in 2015.

Opponents converted a whopping 39.2% of 3rd downs against the Colts. 

The Colts' defense was also 26th in total yards allowed (6066; 379.1 yds per game). 

24th in passing defense.  25th in rushing defense.  29th in punt/kick returns against.  27th in drives against.

While I agree that the offensive problems played a role in the Colts' defense having to be out on the field more (to an extent), there were plenty of offensively inept NFL teams that still had significantly better defensive performances.  These teams had defenses that could rush the passer and get off the field on 3rd down.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I have been watching football a long time too(all as a Colt fan) even though I am only 29 years old, which I have been many, many times. haha

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The fact this team went 8-8 without Andrew Luck for over half the season including going 6-3 without him proves either Andrew Luck is extremely overrated or Pagano is a lot better coach than people gave him credit for and they have more talent than they were given credit for.

i know which side I side with.  

This is team still has flaws but they aren't terrible.

Or you are looking at those wins with rose colored glasses.

I like your enthusiasm. Impossible to tell how the season will unfold(mainly injuries). Colts definitely have competition in their division this year. Id personally be happy if we could get into the playoffs and beat new england. Im sure Luck would also. 

The AFC South is getting much better and that is good news for Colts fans, A battle tested season leads to a successful run in the playoffs.  Winning 6 games a year in the division in the past didnt prepare us for the toughness of the NFL playoffs.  

As you can see, teams are loading up on defense to get after Luck.  This is the year for Moncrief to have an all pro season. I think he really grew up last year and is ready to team with with TY to give a double threat. 

We have a good D line, not great but good and we look a bit better in the secondary But if the defense can be in the top 15 this year then the door is wide open for a title run.

Go Horse!

20 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I think the Colts will have to battle to win 9 games this season personally.  They can contend for the division but aren't of the same caliber as the AFC big boys...Pittsburgh and New England.  Therefore I don't really see them as a legitimate Super Bowl threat right now. 

Bingo! Show me that INDY can give Pittsburgh & Foxboro a run for their money & then we can talk about being a SB contender. Exactly right C-1788. 

17 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

OK, first I'm going to say, I really liked our draft. Having said that, I want to point out something obvious that a lot of people never even consider. We improved our Offensive Line a lot. Now, people are thinking here that it's going to help us win the AFC South and make us possible SB contenders. What you have to remember is how much every other team improved on defense, especially in a defensive draft such as this. While we improve, they do the same. We weren't the only team in the NFL Draft. Not only do our players have to hit, but theirs need to bust at a considerable rate or they'll just keep up with us, and the teams like Jax who went all defense will be even more dangerous. 

I'm excited about the draft, but I'm a realist and know everyone else got better as well. Our O-Line is so bad it has to hit with Kelly and the rest.

Simple, short, & accurate Jared. 

16 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

I'm not so sure. I feel like we're further away than we were at this time last year but while we have Luck we can never be completely ruled out.

The reasons for my perceived regression comes down to the following. 

1) key players aging. Adams, DQ, Mathis, Cole and Gore are all day one starters and are all deep into the age range where they should be getting worse. The aging linebacker room is a major worry and the back ups in those positions are hardly banging on the door to take over.

2) Failure to improve the defence. Our CB2 is better but to balance that our we've lost our best MLB. Our defence was poor last year and I'm not sure that sustaining drives through an improved offensive line is going to makes it better.

3)  Lack of immediate impact acquired in the draft. We have improved 1 position in the draft for this season (Kelly) and even that is in a role I don't believe it's necessary to have a 1st round, pro-bowl player. The rest of the players we've got may be nice developmental projects whose weaknesses could be smoothed out over time but in terms of improvement for next year I don't expect too much. 

4) lack of pass rush. I suppose this is linked to numbers 1 & 3 but it deserves a note of its own. Aging linebackers and low round projects attempting to get to the opposition quarterback? I couldn't be less enthusiastic about out prospects in this key aspect of the game.

5) the AFC south getting stronger. All three of our opponents are on an upward curve and we've already lost the air of invincibility in our division. It's at least arguable to suggest that we have the worst defence in the division and I'd consider it pretty definite that we have the worst running back options. Apart from quarterback I don't think there's one position group we could claim to out on our own as superior.

I know we've got new position coaches and this gives some hope of improvement but on balance I have doubt that it would be enough to overcome those 5 deficiencies. 

I was with you up until that final sentence CC. Quality position coaching, gap control, & containing the edges wins a ton of football games. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss new coaching on the sidelines. It's not the end all be all sure, but let's see how players respond to new instruction before we downplay new sideline personnel shall we...

9 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

By finally prioritizing the oline properly, and adding what I think is a good oline coach in philbin, the Colts can move the ball at will, and control the time of possession. If you control the time of possession, you limit the chance the other team had (I say had because they're going to lose) to score, and your defense is well rested. The colts have all other pieces on offense in place, for an elite unit. The only thing that the colts did absolutely need, was offensive lineman. 

Remember last year when we were winning time of possesion. The defense in the end, wasn't ranked very high, but in the beginning they showed signs of improvement than years previously, and were pretty stout against the run compared to years past. 

On paper the colts are showing vast improvement along with tinkering of the Defense which wasn't as bad as it appeared to be. If Andrew can come back to form and possibly improve (which isn't unlikely having sat and watched, and probably studied), the colts are contenders. Get to the Super Bowl this year, and next years draft of heavy defense, and tinker with the offense, you could possibly see a dynasty on your hands. 

Trenches boys. 

I really like this post ICF. Heck, I usually nod in agreement at 98% of your posts. I just wanted you to know that I respect your football IQ even though I may not always literally give you a like every single time. You're a darn good writer whenever you decide to elaborate on something. 

"Trench boys" is absolutely right. 

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just for your information the Colts didn't play the Bengals last season so I think you are confused. As far as Manning was concerned he played well enough to throw for 281 yards and 2 TDs and those numbers were better than Lucks.

I meant the playoffs the OP referred to when we made the AFC championship game. We beat the Bengals and Broncos, then lost to Patriots in the AFC championship deflate gate game.

3 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

The AFC South is getting much better and that is good news for Colts fans, A battle tested season leads to a successful run in the playoffs.  Winning 6 games a year in the division in the past didnt prepare us for the toughness of the NFL playoffs.  

As you can see, teams are loading up on defense to get after Luck.  This is the year for Moncrief to have an all pro season. I think he really grew up last year and is ready to team with with TY to give a double threat. 

We have a good D line, not great but good and we look a bit better in the secondary But if the defense can be in the top 15 this year then the door is wide open for a title run.

Go Horse!

I don't think,you have any real proof to back up that first paragraph.  Hell, the colts made it to the afc championship game 2 yrs ago after playing in a pathetic division.

15 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

They are another draft away from being contenders. Not enough playmakers on D, specifically pass rushers though. You can only get so far with an average D. Just ask the Packers.

The Colts have always been far from a Super Bowl. Winning just disguises a lot of things. 

I think in 2014 we were the 3rd best team but the distance between us and the Pats and Seahawks wasn't close. Pats were so much better but yet they still cheated haha 

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think in 2014 we were the 3rd best team but the distance between us and the Pats and Seahawks wasn't close. Pats were so much better but yet they still cheated haha 

Exactly. The Patriots are the best team in the conference and we haven't been able to beat them once in 4 seasons. And when we've faced them in the playoffs , it hasn't even been close. If you can't beat the best, you're not close.

28 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Exactly. The Patriots are the best team in the conference and we haven't been able to beat them once in 4 seasons. And when we've faced them in the playoffs , it hasn't even been close. If you can't beat the best, you're not close.

I would say the Bronco's have been the best team in the conference the last four years. They have been to the super bowl two times with a win and have beat the patriots during that four years.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 11:06 PM, ColtsBleedBlue said:

For all the people who don't think the Colts will easily once again be a Super Bowl contender they are crazy. With Luck and a crappy offensive line and a average at best

defense we made the AFC Championship Game. I see us going to the Championship game once again. With an improved offensive line (finally) and an improved secondary and defensive line, and honestly I like all the draft picks. I think we got  dogs. We got boys that want to win and that want to prove they can make it. Once again just something I want to get off my chest.

I think you are crazy with this comment.   "Easily a Super Bowl contender".   

Maybe they will be, but easily?