Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Just Wanna Get Something Off My Chest

For all the people who don't think the Colts will easily once again be a Super Bowl contender they are crazy. With Luck and a crappy offensive line and a average at best

defense we made the AFC Championship Game. I see us going to the Championship game once again. With an improved offensive line (finally) and an improved secondary and defensive line, and honestly I like all the draft picks. I think we got  dogs. We got boys that want to win and that want to prove they can make it. Once again just something I want to get off my chest.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst it remains to be seen just how good they will be (or any team for that matter), I will agree that they look to be improved and anybody writing them off after just last season is under-estimating this team.  They aren't guaranteed to be any worse after a down year than they were to be Superbowl-bound last year after coming off a great season.  Every year has it's own look and feel, and the 2016 season will be no different.  I for one am excited.

48 minutes ago, ColtsBleedBlue said:

For all the people who don't think the Colts will easily once again be a Super Bowl contender they are crazy. With Luck and a crappy offensive line and a average at best

defense we made the AFC Championship Game. I see us going to the Championship game once again. With an improved offensive line (finally) and an improved secondary and defensive line, and honestly I like all the draft picks. I think we got  dogs. We got boys that want to win and that want to prove they can make it. Once again just something I want to get off my chest.

I believe the AFC South is about to have an epic war, but I like our chances to come out victorious. 

What I am about to say might sound cliche, and not really a from a fans point of view. I just want to simplify my tasks. Let's get through the preseason and figure out the 53 guys who are going on this journey with us. Then lets win the AFC South.

I just want to take this ride one street at time. I am not going to get too excited until this team shows me that I should be. I don't want to build up any false beliefs. It is possible to win the Super Bowl with a healthy #12. I want to witness this team consistently win as a team (offense, defense, and special teams).

I think any questions will be answered about week 4 or 5. Every season there are 5 or 6 teams who over achieve what was expected of them while 5 or 6 fall off any expectations. There are way to many variables that can change anything thought of. Injuries, an inch here or there, a bad call are just a few things that can make a difference. Sometimes the best teams don't win games. Every week there seems to be a few players who step up and have a great game just to go back and be average the very next week. The old saying that any team can win at any time still holds true. Fandom can be a strange thing.

Jacksonville and Houston for sure have a shot at dethroning the Colts as the kings of the South, but until they beat us with a healthy Luck, we're still the favourite. People are raving about how great Jacksonville's and Houston's defenses are, but our Offense is pretty good too. With the revamped O line, and a competent O line coach the sky's the limit for Luck and co. Like @BlueCollarColts said though, the Defense has to step up in order for us to truly be considered 'contenders' year in year out. 

But remember, you don't HAVE to be a 'contender' to win a superbowl. We could still win a SB as the underdogs.

But this is now. We'll see when the season starts. Things chance quick in the NFL

I think the Colts will have to battle to win 9 games this season personally.  They can contend for the division but aren't of the same caliber as the AFC big boys...Pittsburgh and New England.  Therefore I don't really see them as a legitimate Super Bowl threat right now. 

I think you can argue that the Colts improved enough to get back to the AFC CG, but you could as easy argue the other way.  Sure the Colts improved the Oline, but other teams in the division can argue they have improved to make it tougher on the Colts. Also how many games in from 2012-2014 season did the Colts win coming back after opposing teams giving up huge leads. Detroit Lions game, KC Chiefs playoff game comes to mind,and. Many of those games they had no business winning.

My view on the Colts is roughly the same, but maybe a little different time frame. Teams who become good have an elite QB, check, and have very good lines on both sides of the ball. The trenches are truly where games are won. Last year was the first year we really invested heavily on defense, and a lot of that was on the defensive line and the secondary. The largest jump is made in year 2, so I expect to see the DL much better this year, and the picks in the secondary to start having an impact. We still need LB's , but I do believe our rush will be improved. Regardless, we finally have a DL I believe, and our 4th round pick could really be a steal and help out.

On the OL, I believe they will be much improved, as Centers who are pro bowl quality have come in and made impacts right away, i.e. the Pounceys. I also think with all the OL we picked, the line will be much better, and Philbin really will help a lot with coaching. Still I believe second year is when the OL makes a large jump, although the left side of our line including the center should be fine. Maybe I will be surprised at a much quicker jump. Regardless, we have now invested heavily in the trenches in the last two years. We should have done it sooner. It is not sexy, draft experts are not impressed by it, but winning teams do this!

One more quick point on just the division, the over unders on wins/losses came out today, and Houston and Indy both had 9.5 as there numbers. Jacksonville is at 7.5, and Tenn. 5.5. So that gives you an idea of what

Vegas believes after the draft. I do agree though we will be making a jump, I just believe it will be next year, although we will be better this year.

Can't wait for the draft next year where we will be free to go after skill positions on both sides of the ball, but rushing the passer will be the emphasis. It will be like this year, but emphasis on going after the QB!

I'm not sure this is an AFC Championship team. Maybe a first or second round playoff team at best. I'm guessing 9 or 10 wins.

On offense althoug Luck was hurt last year he wasn't playing very well before his injury. Not playing terrible just not great. The whole team kind of slacked last year. It all starts with the offensive line and the QB but our recievers failed to get open and our running backs kept fumbling. 

On defense we had some good production from some players. The defense was put in some terrible situations. We lost one of our best tacklers and coverage linebackers in Freeman and a safety who played very well in Lowery. Now we lost toler and he was awful at points but I'm not sure how good Robinson will be on the outside if that's where they plan on putting him. I haven't heard many good things about him playing on the outside or as a #2 corner.

This season will be a good level to see where the Colts actually are!

1 hour ago, ColtsBleedBlue said:

Love this post!

I know that some of us get caught up in analytics and many of us have different opinions about the direction of the team. I think, however, that we all are in for the same thing... We want Indy to win. 

Win ugly, win pretty, win finesse, win power, win on a Donny Avery or Vick Ballard stroke of genius, win on a Mathis strip sack, win against ARod, win against the Rosencopter, JUST WIN. 

If this draft pays as many dividends as the last one, the Colts are in pretty good shape... As a spoiled Colts fan, I go into every season expecting to win double digit games like we've done nearly every year in the last decade plus...

Not that I'm dogging people who criticize the roster. I know that I'm a homer. I just enjoy it more this way. I've done the same thing with the Pacers since the mid-eighties... What do we, as fans, have to lose.?.. unless you bet on sports, but that's a different thing from fandom altogether. 

1 hour ago, ar1888 said:

I think you can argue that the Colts improved enough to get back to the AFC CG, but you could as easy argue the other way.  Sure the Colts improved the Oline, but other teams in the division can argue they have improved to make it tougher on the Colts. Also how many games in from 2012-2014 season did the Colts win coming back after opposing teams giving up huge leads. Detroit Lions game, KC Chiefs playoff game comes to mind,and. Many of those games they had no business winning.

No business winning?  What kind of business do you have to be in where winning is what you want from your business? That really makes no sense.

I think once the Colts do a couple of things, we will make it to the big dance.

- Upgrade the offensive line. (Clearly that's something that we at least attempted this off-season.)

- Find Pass Rushers.

- Find a dominate ILB.

- Find another TE.

I think we could use another WR as well, after our big three we really have no one else on the roster.

My 2 cents:

I go back to last year and look at the "perennial" or "top dog" teams we played.  We played them well.  Nearly all of the games we lost by a TD or less, or won by the same margin.  And that is with a Hurt Luck, no Art Jones, and 1/2 an o-line.

We have the firepower on offense to beat anyone in a shoot out if it came to that.  And our d-line is good enough to make a team one dimensional.  We need stronger play from the lbing corps, yes, but we had Moore and Irving on our team, and everyone WAS excited about 1 or both those signings when they happened.  Neither played much because DQ and Freeman had those reigns.   This year we get to see one or both in full action I think.

Robinson should be an improvement over Toler.  And a LOT of our DB's missed time due to injuries last year.  It happens, so I'm not leaning on it, but This is where depth comes in.  We were playing PS guys at times because of nearly ALL our secondary starters were off the field in a couple games. 

The running game should be improved.  I like our back-ups this year...no matter who makes it.  And our o-line could be a solid force by week 4. *fingers crossed*.

I LOVE our new assistant coaching staff.  This is where 1/2 the battle was lost last year.  

So in a way...the slate is clean IMO. I have my hopes up, but not going to get too overly excited.  I hope we win the AFCS this year,...but until week 4, we won't know enough about our new players/staff to make educated guess about the season, playoffs..  Ask me again then. :)

Eh... we were lucky to get to the AFC championship game with our horrible division and injuries to the Bengals and Broncos. Our division is MUCH better so it will not be easy by any means. Without a pass rush I don't see us making it too far this year.. we'll see what happens. 

15 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Eh... we were lucky to get to the AFC championship game with our horrible division and injuries to the Bengals and Broncos. Our division is MUCH better so it will not be easy by any means. Without a pass rush I don't see us making it too far this year.. we'll see what happens. 

I don't think our pass rush will be as poor as you might think it will be. As bad as things were last season we still had 37 sacks. We also had 19 interceptions. We had 14 forced fumbles too. Our defense was not as bad as it seemed because the losses were due to the lack of offense. You speak of the injuries to the Bengals and Bronco's? We had just as many if not more injuries than they did.

OK, first I'm going to say, I really liked our draft. Having said that, I want to point out something obvious that a lot of people never even consider. We improved our Offensive Line a lot. Now, people are thinking here that it's going to help us win the AFC South and make us possible SB contenders. What you have to remember is how much every other team improved on defense, especially in a defensive draft such as this. While we improve, they do the same. We weren't the only team in the NFL Draft. Not only do our players have to hit, but theirs need to bust at a considerable rate or they'll just keep up with us, and the teams like Jax who went all defense will be even more dangerous. 

I'm excited about the draft, but I'm a realist and know everyone else got better as well. Our O-Line is so bad it has to hit with Kelly and the rest.

After looking at the numbers the pass rush is a major concern with pretty much everyone. Very understandable. I found something I found kind of interesting- Denver as we all know won the super bowl with what was considered a great pass rush. According to the stats they only had two more sacks in the regular season as did the Colts. Where the Bronco's really shined was in the interceptions. We had 19 and the Broncos had 23. My point is the Colts defense wasn't near as bad as some made it out to be. Our offense needed the work the most and I think the FO worked very hard at addressing that problem. Now only time will tell if the mission was accomplished. Just for a little more info the 49ers had the most sacks with 53. What I take from that is the pass rush and sacks are not the tell all of a defense. The most important stat is points given up. That is where the most work is needed on defense.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

After looking at the numbers the pass rush is a major concern with pretty much everyone. Very understandable. I found something I found kind of interesting- Denver as we all know won the super bowl with what was considered a great pass rush. According to the stats they only had two more sacks in the regular season as did the Colts. Where the Bronco's really shined was in the interceptions. We had 19 and the Broncos had 23. My point is the Colts defense wasn't near as bad as some made it out to be. Our offense needed the work the most and I think the FO worked very hard at addressing that problem. Now only time will tell if the mission was accomplished.

Not sure what you mean in the bolded 100%, but if you are saying the Broncos had 2 more sacks than the Colts, you are way off. We had 35 sacks and they had 52. Their pass rush absolutely dominated ours as far as performance goes. We also had 17 INT's and they had 14, so we got more INT's and not them. Not sure where you got your stats, but they are way off. 

17 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

After looking at the numbers the pass rush is a major concern with pretty much everyone. Very understandable. I found something I found kind of interesting- Denver as we all know won the super bowl with what was considered a great pass rush. According to the stats they only had two more sacks in the regular season as did the Colts. Where the Bronco's really shined was in the interceptions. We had 19 and the Broncos had 23. My point is the Colts defense wasn't near as bad as some made it out to be. Our offense needed the work the most and I think the FO worked very hard at addressing that problem. Now only time will tell if the mission was accomplished. Just for a little more info the 49ers had the most sacks with 53. What I take from that is the pass rush and sacks are not the tell all of a defense. The most important stat is points given up. That is where the most work is needed on defense.

I made a huge mistake taking CBS sports web site to use as a basis for my comment. Their numbers were not even close to reality. Either that or what I was reading was for the wrong year. It wasn't specific on what year they have listed when I pulled it up. My bad.

I think there are some fans who think it takes a lot more to improve than it actually does. You don't have to add a blue chip talent at every position of weakness to do that. You are only impressed with draft picks and free agents because they imagine every single one of them panning out. 

The AFC South has had a very good off season as a whole, including us. We have added some pretty good coaches to the mix and I am very excited to see Luck get back to working with Chud. How quickly they forget we had 1 game of that last year, it was our biggest win and best performance of the season. 

We were much better than we showed last season. We didn't play well up front on offense early in the year our offense got out of sync. But it was also good for Luck to go thru that. I think when he comes back he is gonna be on a mission. 

I believe we have finally fixed our offensive line and the running game is gonna be a weapon next year, for the first time since Edge. Kelly is the real deal and he is gonna make a tremendous difference. I also really like Clark and feel like he is gonna be the RT sooner than later, unless they are planning on moving Mewhort back out there for another shot, then I could see him sliding in at LG.

I think Luck is gonna be unstoppable once we can actually run the ball and protect him. Think of all he has done, and realize he has done all of it with a really poor OL and no running game. Imagine what he can do with a good OL, running game and these receivers. And imagine what our receivers could do with more time to get open and safeties biting on play action. 

The improvements on the field can snowball and solve other problems all on their own. 

I don't know how you could be a Colts fan and not think they are the best team in the division. No other QB in the AFC South is anywhere close to Andrew Luck. Do you think Blake Bottles, Marcus Mariota or Brock Osweiler could've gone thru the pressure and physical abuse he has endured the last four years and accomplished half as much? I don't. I'll believe in those guys when I see them do it. Until then they haven't done anything that worries me. 

The most talented team doesn't win, the best team does. And that is the team with the best QB the overwhelming majority of the time. We have one of the best, and they dont. 

I think because the Texans now have Oz and the Jags look great on paper Defensively some are a little nervous. Myles Jack could be a Great player for the Jags or he could be injury prone and miss a bunch of games? Also Andrew showed he isn't a machine LOL, he is human. He getting injured last season has made people nervous too. I can see that but I think he getting injured was a fluke and we will win 10 games IMO at worse. If someone else wins the Division they will need to win 10 or more to beat us out and if they do that I will bow down to them and say your team deserves it. I still say Colts 10-6, Texans 9-7, Jags 9-7, Titans 7-9 as of now/Titans still a season away from being above .500. Once we get younger Pass Rushers which will come in time we will contend for the SB again. It may take another season or 2 but I am patient. It took Peyton 9 seasons to reach and win a SB. I love the fact we Drafted some O.Lineman and Drafted Kelly to protect Andrew! We have a solid Receiving core intact as well with TY, Moncrief, and Dorsett = speed. Vontae and Mathis both will be healthy as well on D so we will be a 10 win team. Maybe Ridgeway will be the next Warren Sapp? On the field of course haha 

I'm not so sure. I feel like we're further away than we were at this time last year but while we have Luck we can never be completely ruled out.

The reasons for my perceived regression comes down to the following. 

1) key players aging. Adams, DQ, Mathis, Cole and Gore are all day one starters and are all deep into the age range where they should be getting worse. The aging linebacker room is a major worry and the back ups in those positions are hardly banging on the door to take over.

2) Failure to improve the defence. Our CB2 is better but to balance that our we've lost our best MLB. Our defence was poor last year and I'm not sure that sustaining drives through an improved offensive line is going to makes it better.

3)  Lack of immediate impact acquired in the draft. We have improved 1 position in the draft for this season (Kelly) and even that is in a role I don't believe it's necessary to have a 1st round, pro-bowl player. The rest of the players we've got may be nice developmental projects whose weaknesses could be smoothed out over time but in terms of improvement for next year I don't expect too much. 

4) lack of pass rush. I suppose this is linked to numbers 1 & 3 but it deserves a note of its own. Aging linebackers and low round projects attempting to get to the opposition quarterback? I couldn't be less enthusiastic about out prospects in this key aspect of the game.

5) the AFC south getting stronger. All three of our opponents are on an upward curve and we've already lost the air of invincibility in our division. It's at least arguable to suggest that we have the worst defence in the division and I'd consider it pretty definite that we have the worst running back options. Apart from quarterback I don't think there's one position group we could claim to out on our own as superior.

I know we've got new position coaches and this gives some hope of improvement but on balance I have doubt that it would be enough to overcome those 5 deficiencies. 

4 hours ago, BlueCollarColts said:

I don't think we're the favorites or anything, but if Luck is 100% we definitely have a shot at making a run. Need the defense to step up though, and a running game wouldn't hurt (I have confidence in our O-Line for once). 

This is pretty much how I feel.

13 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I'm not so sure. I feel like we're further away than we were at this time last year but while we have Luck we can never be completely ruled out.

The reasons for my perceived regression comes down to the following. 

1) key players aging. Adams, DQ, Mathis, Cole and Gore are all day one starters and are all deep into the age range where they should be getting worse. The aging linebacker room is a major worry and the back ups in those positions are hardly banging on the door to take over.

2) Failure to improve the defence. Our CB2 is better but to balance that our we've lost our best MLB. Our defence was poor last year and I'm not sure that sustaining drives through an improved offensive line is going to makes it better.

3)  Lack of immediate impact acquired in the draft. We have improved 1 position in the draft for this season (Kelly) and even that is in a role I don't believe it's necessary to have a 1st round, pro-bowl player. The rest of the players we've got may be nice developmental projects whose weaknesses could be smoothed out over time but in terms of improvement for next year I don't expect too much. 

4) lack of pass rush. I suppose this is linked to numbers 1 & 3 but it deserves a note of its own. Aging linebackers and low round projects attempting to get to the opposition quarterback? I couldn't be less enthusiastic about out prospects in this key aspect of the game.

5) the AFC south getting stronger. All three of our opponents are on an upward curve and we've already lost the air of invincibility in our division. It's at least arguable to suggest that we have the worst defence in the division and I'd consider it pretty definite that we have the worst running back options. Apart from quarterback I don't think there's one position group we could claim to out on our own as superior.

I know we've got new position coaches and this gives some hope of improvement but on balance I have doubt that it would be enough to overcome those 5 deficiencies. 

That's a lot of doom and gloom after one year removed from an AFC championship game.

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That's a lot of doom and gloom after one year removed from an AFC championship game.

Which bits are wrong though? They all seem like valid points to me.

To be fair, it was a game we got beaten by 38 points in and a lot can change in 2 years anyway especially when 'aging players' is a key point.

6 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Which bits are wrong though? They all seem like valid points to me.

To be fair, it was a game we got beaten by 38 points in and a lot can change in 2 years anyway especially when 'aging players' is a key point.

To be just as fair the basic core of that AFC championship team is still here. New more experienced coaches, a healthy Luck and a few very nice draft picks in areas of need. That a pretty realistic key point IMO.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

To be just as fair the basic core of that AFC championship team is still here. New more experienced coaches, a healthy Luck and a few very nice draft picks in areas of need. That a pretty realistic key point IMO.

So we've got the core of a team who were blown out including players like Adams and DQ who should have regressed from there and this is a positive?

Luck, the two young wide receivers, the two guys on the left side of the line and Vontae are probably the only core players who are still here from that game and are also within peak age.

I referenced the positive impact of Luck in my post and also the hope provided by the new coaches. That doesn't directly change anything from points 1-5 though.

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

So we've got the core of a team who were blown out including players like Adams and DQ who should have regressed from there and this is a positive?

Luck, the two young wide receivers, the two guys on the left side of the line and Vontae are probably the only core players who are still here from that game and are also within peak age.

I referenced the positive impact of Luck in my post and also the hope provided by the new coaches. That doesn't directly change anything from points 1-5 though.

I chose to be optimistic and positive. I don't start out being all negative as it's been years since we had back to back bad seasons. This is the NFL and some teams are going to very good and there is no reason the Colts cant be. There has been quite a few teams that won a super bowl from a wild card spot and as an underdog. I'm not writing them off before the season even starts.

I will wait until I actually see some of these rookies play before I declare certain areas of the team improved.

at this point I see two things that are improved over last season.....the offense, thanks to Chud, and the center position.

i don't see the team as legit super bowl contenders, but hell, you only have to win 2-3 games to get there.....you never know.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I chose to be optimistic and positive. I don't start out being all negative as it's been years since we had back to back bad seasons. This is the NFL and some teams are going to very good and there is no reason the Colts cant be. There has been quite a few teams that won a super bowl from a wild card spot and as an underdog. I'm not writing them off before the season even starts.

I don't start of being either positive or negative, having a pre-set disposition leads to not viewing things objectively. I try to be balanced based on what actually happens. 

I see no reason to write them off either but that's different to pretending that there aren't areas of legitimate concern.

We lost by 38 in the Title Game but it was only 17-7 at Half. Once they got way ahead they poured it on to make it look worse actually than it was. They were still throwing deep when it was 38-7 being the pathetic Patriot way they are haha At least we made the Final 4 too, where was the Steelers and Ravens at?

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We lost by 38 in the Title Game but it was only 17-7 at Half. Once they got way ahead they poured it on to make it look worse actually than it was. They were still throwing deep when it was 38-7 being the pathetic Patriot way they are haha At least we made the Final 4 too, where was the Steelers and Ravens at?

Not only that, they cheated by catching nerf like balls

9 hours ago, ColtsBleedBlue said:

Good points.  I'd add that we were 8-8 and missed the still missed the playoffs (due to the loss vs Texans) by only a few points in the game.  Plus, we went through several QB's during the season.  With the draft and new coaching staff, I think we'll see drastic improvements.

6 hours ago, colts52761 said:

Would rather run a 4-3 defense, but if 3-4 defense is the plan why not try to get better talent at Linebacker, just say we are average at LB. Either older or unproven.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but you just explained over 90% of the starting LBs in the league (older or unproven). There are only a handful of players outside of those criteria,  and they don't often hit the open market, especially at OLB, where we need the most help. Not saying we don't need upgrades, just that this year wasn't exactly easy to do so, as the draft was fairly weak on pass rushers and every free agent pass rusher got paid way more then they are worth.

I think the key word in your post is try, and I think it wouldnt be fair to assume that they didnt attempt to do so. 

They are another draft away from being contenders. Not enough playmakers on D, specifically pass rushers though. You can only get so far with an average D. Just ask the Packers.

The Colts have always been far from a Super Bowl. Winning just disguises a lot of things. 

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

They are another draft away from being contenders. Not enough playmakers on D, specifically pass rushers though. You can only get so far with an average D. Just ask the Packers.

The Colts have always been far from a Super Bowl. Winning just disguises a lot of things. 

The roster has always had problems, but the afc championship game isn't far from the SB.