Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grade the draft!

tvturner

Draft Grade  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give our draft?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Ryan Kelly C Alabama

T.J. Green S Clemson

Le'Raven Clark OT Texas Tech

Hassan Ridgeway DT Texas

Joe Haeg OT North Dakota State

Antonio Morrison ILB Florida

Trevor Bates DE Maine

Austin Blythe C Iowa

Overall I think I'd give this a B might even a B+. Loved the first 4 picks, shaky on Morrison and Bates, think Haeg can help us out, and Blythe is our new backup C?

Wondering what you guys thought of it overall

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now that the draft is over, what would you guys give our draft? I'm personally saying a B, as I think we really added a lot of talent to the trenches on both sides, and everyone is used to hearing the saying the game is won in the trenches. 

Here is a list of our picks if you need a refresher:

Round 1:

C Ryan Kelly

Round 2:

S T.J. Green

Round 3:

OL Le'Raven Clark

Round 4:

DT Hassan Ridgeway

ILB Antonio Morrison

Round 5:

OL Joe Haeg

Round 7:

OLB Trevor Bates

C Austin Blythe

I'd give it an A.

The only thing not addressed was pass rush in my eyes, but the right players weren't there and it would've been impossible to properly address everything in 1 go.

Keep Andrew upright and hope for the best out of Mathis' presumably final year.

I'd say a B that could turn into an A as there is a lot of potential with some of these guys.

I questioned the TJ Green pick but I see the potential he has and am not really upset with anyone they passed on. The Morrison pick is the only one I really question.

With this year's draft, we should be set at O-line for some time. This will free us up to draft pass rush and defense heavily next year.

I give the draft an A. It addressed a major weakness, and it will improve our rushing and passing game. We already had the skill players and now we have our hard-nosed O-linemen.

11 minutes ago, BlueCollarColts said:

I find it funny everyone piled on Grigs for not getting a good O-line, then Grigs does an O-line heavy draft and some people still give it an F.

Its great that he hopefully finally fixed it ... but we would not have had to devote the majority of the draft to it 5 years in if Grigson hadn't jacked it up with horrible decisions to begin with.

I gave it a D. Ryan Kelly was a solid pick but it wasn't a premium position. Grigson passed on Lawson who was one of the best pass rushers in the draft. Green was a reach as well. There was better players available. Overall, I'm very disappointed in Grigson for not drafting any blue chip defensive players. 

B (or B+ to be more specific)

We were never going to be able to fix everything in one draft, and as Grigson and Pagano are saying, it's better to go BPA than just picking pass rushers that aren't as highly rated as other players and where the value isn't there.

Grigson has finally created the "cauldron of competition" at the offensive line, and I frankly couldn't be happier. 

10 minutes ago, BlueCollarColts said:

I find it funny everyone piled on Grigs for not getting a good O-line, then Grigs does an O-line heavy draft and some people still give it an F.

The people that gave it an F are Trolls. This cant be any worse than a B looking at it realistically on paper. I wouldn't say A because we still didn't get an impressive Pass Rusher but I love our O.Line picks and the TJ pick along with Ridgeway and Bates could even pan out on Defense? When these Polls used to be made couldn't we see who voted what? I remember in past polls it would say who voted what. Who ever voted F or D you guys need to stop watching Football because you nothing about it and just quit Freakin Trolling.

2 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

I gave it a D. Ryan Kelly was a solid pick but it wasn't a premium position. Grigson passed on Lawson who was one of the best pass rushers in the draft. Green was a reach as well. There was better players available. Overall, I'm very disappointed in Grigson for not drafting any blue chip defensive players. 

Lawson is an ok pass rusher,  far  from elite.    He has first round bust written all over him.    

Be honest,    you had no clue who green was.  He was not at all a reach in the second.    

5 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

I gave it a D. Ryan Kelly was a solid pick but it wasn't a premium position. Grigson passed on Lawson who was one of the best pass rushers in the draft. Green was a reach as well.

Don't know how Kelly wasn't a premium position for us. Center was one of our biggest needs, and Lawson had injury concerns. Green is able to be taught with Pagano's expertise. Can't solve every need in 1 draft

9 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

How is Green a reach when some thought he'd be a late first rounder?

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Lawson is an ok pass rusher,  far  from elite.    He has first round bust written all over him.    

Be honest,    you had no clue who green was.  He was not at all a reach in the second.    

Lawson was among the nation's leaders in tackle for loss (25.5) and sacks ( 12.5). Those are elite stats against great competition. He was a much better value pick then Kelly. That's too high to draft a C, you can find good ones in later rounds. 

It's rare to find Blue chip pass rushers in later rounds. Those players usually get drafted in the top 2 rounds. We don't have an ok pass rusher on the team. It was a bad move by Grigson imo. 

B

It was a very good draft. I know a lot of people don't like the Morrison pick, but I think he is being brought in more to be the thumper. I like his grit, he doesn't take **** from anyone, we need someone like that on this defense.

Round 1:

C Ryan Kelly: A-

Round 2:

S T.J. Green: C+

Round 3:

OL Le'Raven Clark: B+

Round 4:

DT Hassan Ridgeway: A+

ILB Antonio Morrison: C+

Round 5:

OL Joe Haeg: B

Round 7:

OLB Trevor Bates: B

C Austin Blythe B

Trade: C

Solid B overall

21 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Lawson was good but not blue chip by any means. And I think it'd be hard to say that by our second pick there were any "blue chip" type defensive players or for that matter pass rushers. Even the top pass rushers selected in this draft have a fair amount of questions behind them and are no sure thing.

And Kelly may not have been at a premium position, but center is a very important position up front and he is very very good at that position. AND he's likely going to go a long way in protecting our premium and most valuable asset in Andrew Luck. Which if we loose him, everything is over for us. So in that sense the Kelly pick was a very good pick.

15 minutes ago, McGregor the Notorious said:

Don't know how Kelly wasn't a premium position for us. Center was one of our biggest needs, and Lawson had injury concerns. Green is able to be taught with Pagano's expertise. Can't solve every need in 1 draft

The C position isn't a premium position. C was a need but it wasn't BPA. Grigson basically admitted that he doesn't draft BPA. His mind was already made up months ago. You can find good centers in later rounds. You can win without a probowl C. Pass rush, ILB, and CB are premium positions. You can't win a superbowl without great players in the front 7. 

BlueShoe is always happy when we draft O-Linemen. 

But even BlueShoe hasn't quite processed the fact that we went in this draft with 6 picks and drafted 4 Offensive Linemen. I have to stop smiling before I can give my unbiased opinion.

36 minutes ago, BlueCollarColts said:

cant please everyone

10 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

There was better players available that could play Day 1. Green can't cover. 

Lol,     how many Clemson games did you watch?  They played him as a nickel corner at times.   Stop basing your thoughts on PFF

From SBNATION

Overall grade: B+

Indianapolis Colts

1 (18). Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama

2 (57). T.J. Green, S, Clemson

3 (82). Le'Raven Clark, OT, Texas Tech

4 (116). Hassan Ridgeway, DT, Texas

4 (125). Antonio Morrison, LB, Florida

5 (155). Joe Haeg, OT, North Dakota State

7 (239). Trevor Bates, OLB, Maine

7 (247). Austin Blythe, C, Iowa

Best pick: Kelly - Priority No. 1 in Indianapolis is protecting Andrew Luck and Kelly is ably suited for that duty.

Questionable pick: Green - He should jump into the starting lineup straight away, but it's hard to love the pick when Ohio State's Vonn Bell was available.

It was clear coming into this draft that the Colts needed help on the offensive line, and they attacked it early with Kelly and Le'Raven Clark in the top 100. Kelly is a starter straight away for Indianapolis. Clark will need some work, but he can play inside and outside. Green was a little bit of a surprising pick at No. 57 with some of the other players available. Ridgeway is an obviously talented and athletic player, but he had some injury issues in college. The skill is there, he just has to actualize it. If he can stay healthy, Morrison is a solid linebacker who can tackle. He's not flashy, but he gets the job done. Picking Joe Haeg in the fifth round was a savvy choice. He's the most experience offensive lineman in the entire drafting, starting 60 games in college. He's pro-ready.

I really like the Kelly, Haeg (for G), and Bates picks.  A's for quality and value.

I like the Morrsion pick better than some.  His meniscus repair likely influenced is testing.  A hard nosed attitude from an ILB is what you want. 

The other picks are average.  Ridgeway could be good, if he gives the effort.  I'm only warm on Clark, Green and Blythe.

2 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

The C position isn't a premium position. C was a need but it wasn't BPA. Grigson basically admitted that he doesn't draft BPA. His mind was already made up months ago. You can find good centers in later rounds. You can win without a probowl C. Pass rush, ILB, and CB are premium positions. You can't win a superbowl without great players in the front 7. 

How do you know he wasn't the BP to the colts??? I don't get where people make these ridiculous ststements. And it's also very hard to win with out a good front 5 on offense. It's also especially important to have a good front 5 on offense to protect your most valuable asset, the face of your franchise. Whom if we loose him, we are going nowhere at all. So you can have your possibly decent pass rusher all you want. I'd rather take a piece that is very good at his position, the best in this class and as close to a sure bet as you can get at the position and in the draft. Also a very important position up front on offense who can go a long ways in ensuring that our most valuable asset who means the most to this team is protected and able to stay healthy. That's of HIGH importance in my book.