colts draft C Austin Blythe

CR91

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

I saw where Blythe was mocked in rounds 4 and 5 by some Colts fans. I don't know a lot about him but i love that hes an Iowa lineman ( great coaching ). 

I hope he will backup Kelly at C but my question is can he also play guard if needed?

Most decent centers can also play some guard. .

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

four olineman wow. grigs went oline crazy in this draft. 

We needed to try to create an outstanding line..

We took 4 guys...Maybe 2 become starters eventualy.....its good.

Our line has been shaky for so long...I'm glad we did exactly what we seemed to need to do

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

We needed to try to create an outstanding line..

We took 4 guys...Maybe 2 become starters eventualy.....its good.

Our line has been shaky for so long...I'm glad we did exactly what we seemed to need to do

I honestly think this was a overhaul demanded by irsay. I  remember reading an article about how he thinks the oline doesnt take pride in protecting andrew. Thats all I needed to hear to explain this draft

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

This week was grigsons official "get off my back about the OL" week. Dang he sent a heck of a signal to our guys that they ain't cuttin it and philbin and OL coaches got no excuses to not fix the run game.

I think the hiring of Philbin made Grigson look real close at what we had as an offensive line. (well the lack of one anyway)  Two of the linemen drafted can play different positions so that is a good thing.

17 minutes ago, JRnINDY said:

This guy is a mean starter if not for Kelly being drafted in the 1st.

I love having what looks to be 2 quality C's. Blythe can also probably win gaurd spot. Very happy with our Oline selections.

Bullseye! This was a good draft for our team with protecting Luck a star on the managements shoulder...finally.

Maylock not only said Kelly was the safest pick in the draft but he thinks he can be a top 5 center in the league as a rookie. 

Blythe like we stated before is an Iowa lineman who the Colts couldn't pass on in the 7th because they had him in their top 30 player list. And looked at him as the starting center if things didn't fall in place as they planned. 

I know we have two unproven rookies but I believe we went from one of the worst to one of the best at the position with two picks! 

It's obvious that our interior OL was the biggest need and we addressed that majorly in the draft to protect the only chance we have of winning in Luck! 

That alone makes this draft a win IMO! I feel much better about this team now then I did a few days ago. 

19 hours ago, dgambill said:

Kelly has some competition now. Honestly I think Blythe could play before our earlier picks because I think he is more advanced (stronger) but we literally could field a whole new OL. Rookie camp will be exciting and competitive. 

By stronger you mean physically weaker right? Kind of his Main issue!
 And he has little potential to play guard, so how do you dress him on game day?
  Now i am not saying he can`t start with an injury to Kelly.
  It isn`t like you need to draft a center early if you have good guards.

29 minutes ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

Maylock not only said Kelly was the safest pick in the draft but he thinks he can be a top 5 center in the league as a rookie. 

Blythe like we stated before is an Iowa lineman who the Colts couldn't pass on in the 7th because they had him in their top 30 player list. And looked at him as the starting center if things didn't fall in place as they planned. 

I know we have two unproven rookies but I believe we went from one of the worst to one of the best at the position with two picks! 

It's obvious that our interior OL was the biggest need and we addressed that majorly in the draft to protect the only chance we have of winning in Luck! 

That alone makes this draft a win IMO! I feel much better about this team now then I did a few days ago. 

Did they say the bolded somewhere ?  I missed it if they did ... I find it hard to believe.

20 hours ago, MPStack said:

Holmes and Harrison will need to find new teams is what this spells.

I don't foresee Harrison making our roster this year, but I think Holmes will have a good shot to be in the mix as RG and/or back-up C.

19 hours ago, Superman said:

The Colts did better with the 7th rounder from Green Bay that I called a throw-in than they did with the much more valuable 4th rounder from Green Bay. 

We haven't seen either of these guys play at the NFL level yet.  For what it is worth, Morrison had >100 tackles last year when he probably should have taken an injury red-shirt.  The guy is a productive player -- sure his pro-day numbers are not the greatest, but it sounds like he wasn't even close to 100%.  IF he can return to full-health, he has potential to be a productive player in this league.

29 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

In the 'day 3 press conference' Grigson says at about 1:45 -- "even our last pick was in our top 30".

Haven't watched it yet ... that being said I still don't buy that he was in the Colt's "overall" top 30 best players in the entire draft.... unless maybe somehow that 30 to which he was referring was divided into like 5 targeted players they thought would be available to them in each round or something along those lines. 

I am not a Grigson fan, and even I can't believe he is that incompetent. 

4 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

Yea , just thought we could have tried I a gamble a d2 pass rusher or something lol 

Well they did take a pass rusher from University of Maine with the first 7th rounder.

2 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I don't foresee Harrison making our roster this year, but I think Holmes will have a good shot to be in the mix as RG and/or back-up C.

We haven't seen either of these guys play at the NFL level yet.  For what it is worth, Morrison had >100 tackles last year when he probably should have taken an injury red-shirt.  The guy is a productive player -- sure his pro-day numbers are not the greatest, but it sounds like he wasn't even close to 100%.  IF he can return to full-health, he has potential to be a productive player in this league.

Obviously we haven't seen them. I'm talking based on my impressions of them. If we can't do that then we might as well not even talk about them until preseason.

16 minutes ago, esmort said:

Haven't watched it yet ... that being said I still don't buy that he was in the Colt's "overall" top 30 best players in the entire draft.... unless maybe somehow that 30 to which he was referring was divided into like 5 targeted players they thought would be available to them in each round or something along those lines. 

I am not Grigson fan, and even I can't believe he is that incompetent. 

I am with you, in that I find it very hard to believe that he was actually on a complete top 30 list.

I do think Blythe may have been a top 30 OL or something like that.

1 hour ago, esmort said:

I am not a Grigson fan, and even I can't believe he is that incompetent. 

There is no way Grigson meant for his "top 30" comment to mean that. 

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

Well they did take a pass rusher from University of Maine with the first 7th rounder.

Yea , I relooked at it an it makes sense if we cut Holmes and Harrison,  and 7th Rd pick as a backup will cost us peanuts compared to maybe what Holmes and Harrison are making we need to penny pinch every position we can with lucks contract coming due soon , don't want to have a ton of money wrapped up in unused backup spots 

I am biased as a Iowa Hawkeye fan I love Hawkeyes that been Colt players. Coach Ferentz is a longtime OL guy. he was the OL line coach in the NFL before he was coach at Maine. This guy may be small I think that was a media knock on Jeff Saturday, He does know wrestling so that will help in the leverage department. I know we as Colt Nation did not get everything we wanted ie a DE, this was a draft that was short on DEs. I will say one thing if only 2 of the OL works out we have a better OL than last year.

42 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Yea , I relooked at it an it makes sense if we cut Holmes and Harrison,  and 7th Rd pick as a backup will cost us peanuts compared to maybe what Holmes and Harrison are making we need to penny pinch every position we can with lucks contract coming due soon , don't want to have a ton of money wrapped up in unused backup spots 

Also maybe Blythe will prove to be a better football player than the two guys ? 

I remember seeing Blythe's name a lot on this board pre draft by those who wanted defense first and center late.  Now, we'll get to see how that would have panned out because he will be competing against Kelly (a high pick center) and Holmes and Harrison, our current starters.  If he gets cut (which I hope he doesn't) then that gamble would have backfired and we'd be right where we were.  Btw, I'm pulling for him to be our backup center.

On 4/30/2016 at 6:43 PM, esmort said:

Didn't we already have the short armed Center ...this sounds like AQ Shipley part 2 ... I think Shipley actually had better pro day stats

Well that's good then because Shipley was better than Harrison and Holmes.....

On 4/30/2016 at 6:52 PM, IndyD4U said:

You know who just did back flips and bumped chests? Frank Gore and Andrew Luck. 

You know who else did too? The WR's who run as fast and as hard as they can to get down the field only to see their QB on the ground. More time for TY, Moncrief, Dorsett, and Allen! Go Colts!

Iowa fan here.  

It should be known that Blythe has played guard before and can swing to guard easily.  

So he could be part of the competition for the RG spot and if nothing else make a backup interior swingman.