Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can we pull off any trades for pass rushers?

chad72

Do any of you guys think we can pull off a trade for a quality pass rusher? I do not see any other way that we can land a quality one this year.

If the goal is to just be a playoff contender instead of a SB contender, keeping Luck upright will help with the division. But beyond that, we have to get past Big Ben or Brady and that means pass rush eventually. Is our goal just to wait it out and blitz with our LBs and hope it works out?

Thoughts???

I've been wondering the same thing. It'd probably be a guy like Mingo or Marcus Smith though. Maybe Dion Jordon. A guy who has underachieved and may need a change of scenery. Like a Jerry Hughes. Man if we could pull off something like that we'd be set. If we could get Mingo for a 4th or 5th and got him to come in and realize his potential....Wow. Here's a name off the top of my head. Melvin Ingram???? The Chargers just drafted Bosa and have Attachou or however you spell that LOL. But I'd give a 2nd for Ingram. There should be some guys available.

Off the top of my head.....

Barkevious Mingo

Paul Kruger

Dion Jordon

Marcus Smith

Melvin Ingram???

Willie Young

But man I'd just say ___ it and sign Hardy. Yeah he's a P0S but he could give us double digit sacks and make us a SB contender.

8 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Barkevious Mingo

Paul Kruger

Dion Jordon

Marcus Smith

Melvin Ingram???

Willie Young

But man I'd just say ___ it and sign Hardy. Yeah he's a P0S but he could give us double digit sacks and make us a SB contender.

Maybe Hardy on a 1-yr show me deal along with Freeney for depth, I'd be OK with that. The PR hit, yeah they have to brace themselves for it.

perhaps the colts feel with mathis being healthy, guys like langford jones anderson parry and mcgil capable of rushing from the dline, walden and cole can easily chip in 7-10 sacks combined, and teddy m with his exotic blitzs, they didnt need to address it this year

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

perhaps the colts feel with mathis being healthy, guys like langford jones anderson parry and mcgil capable of rushing from the dline, walden and cole can easily chip in 7-10 sacks combined, and teddy m with his exotic blitzs, they didnt need to address it this year

Then they're even more delusional than I thought. 

23 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I've been wondering the same thing. It'd probably be a guy like Mingo or Marcus Smith though. Maybe Dion Jordon. A guy who has underachieved and may need a change of scenery. Like a Jerry Hughes. Man if we could pull off something like that we'd be set. If we could get Mingo for a 4th or 5th and got him to come in and realize his potential....Wow. Here's a name off the top of my head. Melvin Ingram???? The Chargers just drafted Bosa and have Attachou or however you spell that LOL. But I'd give a 2nd for Ingram. There should be some guys available.

I wouldn't mind Marcus Smith on the cheap.

16 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Barkevious Mingo

Paul Kruger

Dion Jordon

Marcus Smith

Melvin Ingram???

Willie Young

Greg Hardy is not a guy anyone wants to have on their team.    When you are cast aside by Jerry Jones,    you are done

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Greg Hardy is not a guy anyone wants to have on their team.    When you are cast aside by Jerry Jones,    you are done

Man the guy's a true scumbag. But I want us to have a Super Bowl caliber team next year and he could change the dynamic of our defense. He'd in all likelihood give us 10-12 sacks and put consistent pressure on opposing QB's. Sometimes you gotta make a deal with the devil so to speak. And I'd rather have a scumbag putting up big sack numbers and balling out than a nice guy being below average. Hardy and Mathis could be a nightmare for QB's

5 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Man the guy's a true scumbag. But I want us to have a Super Bowl caliber team next year and he could change the dynamic of our defense. He'd in all likelihood give us 10-12 sacks and put consistent pressure on opposing QB's. Sometimes you gotta make a deal with the devil so to speak. And I'd rather have a scumbag putting up big sack numbers and balling out than a nice guy being below average. Hardy and Mathis could be a nightmare for QB's

No,    no you don't.   You distance yourself from people like that,   you don't embrace them.     He was a cancer in the locker room in Dallas.   Like I said,    when jerry turns his back on you,    you're done.   

9 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

There's not much out there at OLB. Grigson had a chance to draft Lawson and Fackrell and he passed on both. Luck once again will have to score 27 points a game to win. Bortles and Mariota will be better. This Won't be an easy division. 

You realize the average total points per game for a NFL winner is at or above 27? Not saying D isn't a need but if the Colts can sustain offensive drives, that helps the D too. 

The pass rush will be a weak spot once again this year. I knew going into the draft that there was no way to fill all of our holes. IDK a couple years ago when Mathis got hurt we thought our pass rush would be the worst but it ended up being middle of the pack because of our creative blitzing. Maybe we can do that again? Maybe Mathis has a 10-12 sack season another year removed from the achilles? I'll try to be optimistic.

7 minutes ago, ColtsBTM12 said:

The pass rush will be a weak spot once again this year. I knew going into the draft that there was no way to fill all of our holes. IDK a couple years ago when Mathis got hurt we thought our pass rush would be the worst but it ended up being middle of the pack because of our creative blitzing. Maybe we can do that again? Maybe Mathis has a 10-12 sack season another year removed from the achilles? I'll try to be optimistic.

I'm afraid of that, too.  I was trying to be optimistic as you are trying also.  

Every year some very serviceable players get cut in camp. I wouldn't be surprised if we sign a veteren rb and lb during the round of cuts so while it won't likely be a star rusher there will be guys cut now that these teams have their drafts and can let go of veterans they don't want to pay and clear waivers.

I just don't understand why we didn't sign a EDGE rusher, trade for one, or draft one early. It just doesn't make any sense to me. That was one of our weakest positions last year. With a freak pass rusher we would be a top 3-5 team and true Super Bowl contenders. I don't understand why Grigson is content with waiting to have juggernaut teams. Here's some of the things we could have done. And if we had of. We'd be in very good shape.

Traded for Chandler Jones

Signed Bruce Irvin

Drafted Spence, Correa, Fackrell, or Calhoun

I know a lot of people always say "Its not that easy". But we could have had Chandler Jones. a double digit sack beast. If the Pats wouldn't have taken a 2nd and Thornton then I would have offered up a 2nd and a 2017 3rd. If not that throw Thornton back in. LOL sometimes you just gotta go all in to get the prize ya know.

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

They are asking for a 1st. rounder. I would send next years and it would be a home run for us.

Wilkerson also wants a very rich contract. He's worth it, but let's not forget that part.

On April 30, 2016 at 4:33 PM, CR91 said:

if we can get curt maggit in the 7th, he'll be all the pass rush we need. first round talent, but does have character concerns

You probably meant injury concerns as he missed most of 2015 because of injury. In 2014 he managed 11 sacks and was highly regarded by teammates and coaches.

Just now, RomanianColtsFan said:

You probably meant injury concerns as he missed most of 2015 because of injury. In 2014 he managed 11 sacks and was highly regarded by teammates and coaches.

he has a past as well, but yes injuries are the bigger picture.

18 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I just don't understand why we didn't sign a EDGE rusher, trade for one, or draft one early. It just doesn't make any sense to me. That was one of our weakest positions last year. With a freak pass rusher we would be a top 3-5 team and true Super Bowl contenders. I don't understand why Grigson is content with waiting to have juggernaut teams. 

We were never going to be able to fix everything in one draft, and as Grigson and Pagano were saying, it's better to go BPA than just picking pass rushers that aren't as highly rated as other players and where the value isn't there. I like that they did that.

Now, we could have signed someone, but at what cost? We had to re-sign one of the TEs, and Luck will take up a relatively big amount of cap space. We would have to massively overpay for anyone remotely good, and I'm glad we didn't. Paying Olivier Vernon money for someone... no thanks. 

We will be smart to hold onto our picks in 2017 and go pass rush if the value is there. In 2017 we'll have some cap space, so we can also bring in a decent OLB (again not a Olivier Vernon signing). But right now, we should roll with what we have.

18 hours ago, Superman said:

Wilkerson also wants a very rich contract. He's worth it, but let's not forget that part.

He does want a rich contract and he certainly deserves it.  Next year we will have plenty of cap space to sign him to a long term deal.  The problem is getting him over here until then   I know they franchised tagged him.  Maybe it's a sign and trade and we figure a way to get him under the cap.  Maybe it doesn't happen until Andrew is signed and we know what we are dealing with.  Cole and Jones are potential cuts which could free up additional space.   Maybe they can trade him with the tag unsigned and we work out a deal where the cap hit is not so bad this year and starts hitting us hard in 2017.   I am not a cap guy so I am just talking here but I would like to see us find a way. 

28 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He does want a rich contract and he certainly deserves it.  Next year we will have plenty of cap space to sign him to a long term deal.  The problem is getting him over here until then   I know they franchised tagged him.  Maybe it's a sign and trade and we figure a way to get him under the cap.  Maybe it doesn't happen until Andrew is signed and we know what we are dealing with.  Cole and Jones are potential cuts which could free up additional space.   Maybe they can trade him with the tag unsigned and we work out a deal where the cap hit is not so bad this year and starts hitting us hard in 2017.   I am not a cap guy so I am just talking here but I would like to see us find a way. 

It's doable, the cap is workable. That's not the problem. But I don't think there's even a 1% chance of it happening.