Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dolphins totally smoked the first round!

Jules

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He hasn't failed a drug test

"When the post went live, Tunsil immediately admitted to his agent that he was in the video, which he said was two years old, according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport. Tunsil then called NFL teams and owned up to his past drug use, Rapoport added.

In accordance with the substance of abuse policy, which is part of the collective bargaining agreement negotiated by the NFL and the NFL Players Association, Tunsil's actions in college can still cause him to be entered into the league's substance of abuse program, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said."

But I think they'll let the guy slide...

ESPN's coverage of this is almost sickening.  On the way to work today, hoping to hear about the draft, Sarah Spain wouldn't stop talking about how horrible this way.  That's right, the same Sarah Spain who offered herself for a Cubs postseason ticket.  

3 hours ago, Corndog said:

ESPN's coverage of this is almost sickening.  On the way to work today, hoping to hear about the draft, Sarah Spain wouldn't stop talking about how horrible this way.  That's right, the same Sarah Spain who offered herself for a Cubs postseason ticket.  

Wow, I looked her up. She can offer herself to me any day! Wait, what were we talking about again?

10 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Not funny at all if the NFL decides to put him in the substance abuse program before he shows up for training camp...

he lost 7 million in contract with drop I heard

36 minutes ago, bayone said:

Easily Barry, likely even more.  He was projected #1, then the QB issue dropped him to 3. So compare what he got at #13 to what could have been in Joey Bosa's #3 slot -

Tunsil_Loss_zpsljih1jcf.jpg

"Stupidity". The definition of it, "don't do something stupid while you are being recorded". We have heard the reporters say over and over how many students smoke weed but of that group how many have themselves recorded risking millions in income? Therein lies the difference between smart and stupid. Don't draft stupid players as often it is not curable. He kept saying he is blessed, no son you're not blessed if you are stupid.

14 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

In accordance with the substance of abuse policy, which is part of the collective bargaining agreement negotiated by the NFL and the NFL Players Association, Tunsil's actions in college can still cause him to be entered into the league's substance of abuse program, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said."

But I think they'll let the guy slide...

It would be absurd and cruel to enter this guy into the substance abuse program for this particular act which reportedly occurred 2 years before he declared for the NFL draft. I could understand his being subject to the NFL's substance abuse policy if he recorded this video during the pre-draft season, but that's not the case. In addition, he has not failed a drug test. 

The NFL would be inviting a lawsuit if Tunsil starts his career in the substance abuse program.

17 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

It would be absurd and cruel to enter this guy into the substance abuse program for this particular act which reportedly occurred 2 years before he declared for the NFL draft. I could understand his being subject to the NFL's substance abuse policy if he recorded this video during the pre-draft season, but that's not the case. In addition, he has not failed a drug test. 

The NFL would be inviting a lawsuit if Tunsil starts his career in the substance abuse program.

As I stated, they'll probably let Tunsil slide, as his draft slide itself is likely viewed as punishment enough, and dating the video accurately could be problematic.

But, it is in the CBA, under the abuse policy.  Everyone and their sister sues the NFL these days, but the NFL will pursue it to the bitter end/top of the chain.  And each side is held accountable to what is in the CBA at the end of the day.  So Tunsil can sue all he wants, but if the Substance abuse policy in the CBA allows the NFL to place a player in the program because of acts in college, there is nothing they can do about it, except sue and lose in the end.

"Behavior (including but not limited to an arrest or conduct related to an alleged misuse of substances of abuse occurring up to two football seasons prior to the player's applicable scouting combine) which, in the judgment of the medical director, exhibits physical, behavioral, or psychological signs or symptoms of misuse of substances of abuse."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/202423/laremy-tunsil-could-be-subject-to-nfls-drug-program

So if he doesn't get placed in it, I'll bet Tunsil gets tested  more than any other player this upcoming season for PEDS, and I'll bet he gets tested as much as allowable from now until training camp ends for substances of abuse;  Just to be sure.

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Easily Barry, likely even more.  He was projected #1, then the QB issue dropped him to 3. So compare what he got at #13 to what could have been in Joey Bosa's #3 slot -

Tunsil_Loss_zpsljih1jcf.jpg

from that projected chart u are right easily should lose more over life of contract & what a difference in signing bonus upfront

28 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

As I stated, they'll probably let Tunsil slide, as his draft slide itself is likely viewed as punishment enough, and dating the video accurately could be problematic.

But, it is in the CBA, under the abuse policy.  Everyone and their sister sues the NFL these days, but the NFL will pursue it to the bitter end/top of the chain.  And each side is held accountable to what is in the CBA at the end of the day.  So Tunsil can sue all he wants, but if the Substance abuse policy in the CBA allows the NFL to place a player in the program because of acts in college, there is nothing they can do about it, except sue and lose in the end.

"Behavior (including but not limited to an arrest or conduct related to an alleged misuse of substances of abuse occurring up to two football seasons prior to the player's applicable scouting combine) which, in the judgment of the medical director, exhibits physical, behavioral, or psychological signs or symptoms of misuse of substances of abuse."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/202423/laremy-tunsil-could-be-subject-to-nfls-drug-program

So if he doesn't get placed in it, I'll bet Tunsil gets tested  more than any other player this upcoming season for PEDS, and I'll bet he gets tested as much as allowable from now until training camp ends for substances of abuse;  Just to be sure.

I appreciate the link and the information but I still think it is cruel. The active players that agree to the CBA don't care about those that will play in the NFL.in the future. Such a policy only affects future players, not active players. 

With social media nowadays, anyone can post pictures and videos of players. If the NFL will punish players for whatever is shown on those pictures and videos, I can see individuals exploiting that to affect the draft status of some players. 

7 hours ago, bayone said:

No matter when that picture was taken these players have to be aware of social media catching up to you and in turn paying the price for it. The old saying is if you don't want your picture on the front page don't put yourself in that position. A 7 million dollar mistake is a lot to pay for trying to impress your buddies.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I appreciate the link and the information but I still think it is cruel. The active players that agree to the CBA don't care about those that will play in the NFL.in the future. Such a policy only affects future players, not active players. 

With social media nowadays, anyone can post pictures and videos of players. If the NFL will punish players for whatever is shown on those pictures and videos, I can see individuals exploiting that to affect the draft status of some players. 

I was reading his account was hacked and my question is could it have been Miami or another team who did that  just to make him fall deeper in the draft? Stranger things have happened. :dunno:

On 4/30/2016 at 1:22 AM, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Supposedly hacked account and old days pic according to draft pick. 

I don't buy that, it had to be posted from someone that had access to his account (and Instagram). 

He must have a friend that deep down hates his guts. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I was reading his account was hacked and my question is could it have been Miami or another team who did that  just to make him fall deeper in the draft? Stranger things have happened. :dunno:

One thing for sure, Miami drafting him after this incident showing that he has issues, is not a surprise. The Dolphins management is secretly one of the worst in the league filled with tons of issues. He is a perfect fit in their dysfunctional franchise. 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

To the bolded: That did cross my mind. I would not be surprised if teams or competing players posts such pics/videos in the future to make players slip in the draft. I read that Adam Gase and Tunsil share the same agent. The agent must have convinced Gase and the Dolphins that taking Tunsil was worth the risk.

When I first heard about his tweet and the video, I thought it was his step-father or someone else close to him that made those posts. Whoever did this is an awful human being. 

59 minutes ago, Bogie said:

One thing for sure, Miami drafting him after this incident showing that he has issues, is not a surprise. The Dolphins management is secretly one of the worst in the league filled with tons of issues. He is a perfect fit in their dysfunctional franchise. 

Weed isn't as big of an issue as  some things.       He is among the most talented players in the draft.    He wasn't gonna fall forever

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Weed isn't as big of an issue as  some things.       He is among the most talented players in the draft.    He wasn't gonna fall forever

My buddy sent me this 

"The Drug Value Guy is regularly the single biggest market inefficiency in the NFL, and it seems that everybody but the people in charge realizes it. Tyrann Mathieu, Randy Moss, Warren Sapp, Dan Marino: all players whose draft stock suffered because of drugs, all incredible bargains for the teams that selected them. We don’t know what Tunsil’s career will look like—nor Robert Nkemdiche’s—but their skills are so highly regarded that their new teams would never have been able to get them if not for the NFL’s strange, retrograde attitude toward recreational drugs."

While I laugh at the pearl clutching over pot my sympathy for him is limited at best only because he was dumb enough to make a video of this sort of thing in the first place. 

What made the whole thing even more hilarious was the Nationwide commercial that aired after it with Manning asking the V/O guy to have "more smoke" 

3 hours ago, Jules said:

I read somewhere the Ravens passed on him after seeing all of this. lmao

To be blunt, this story is totally true. Ozzie and Bisciotti were going to draft him when the video came out, but then went with Stanley. Bisciotti was very embarrassed by the whole Ray Rice affair , and they are trying to get higher caliber players with no baggage. Of course it's easier said then done. 

16 hours ago, bababooey said:

My buddy sent me this 

"The Drug Value Guy is regularly the single biggest market inefficiency in the NFL, and it seems that everybody but the people in charge realizes it. Tyrann Mathieu, Randy Moss, Warren Sapp, Dan Marino: all players whose draft stock suffered because of drugs, all incredible bargains for the teams that selected them. We don’t know what Tunsil’s career will look like—nor Robert Nkemdiche’s—but their skills are so highly regarded that their new teams would never have been able to get them if not for the NFL’s strange, retrograde attitude toward recreational drugs."

The league is a league of Rules.  Each important to the integrity of the game, and the NFL will fight their fight to the end; IE Tom Brady / Deflategate.  Nobody is impervious.  Though there may be upwards of 40 states with medical cannabis laws, it is still banned Federally, and by most states for recreational purposes. The NFL continues its 'rules' to follow that model.

Every player has a risk/reward ratio.  Some big red flags could be medical, recreational substances, psychological, etc. and every team has to weigh in potential future issues against the talent available.  For every Matthieu, Moss, Sapp etc. there even more like Josh Gordon, Dion Jordan, Matavis Bryant, Tanard Jackson, LaVon Brazil, Brandon Browner, Justin Blackmon etc... (and the list continues to grow).  NFL is the ultimate team sport and being banned for a full season minimum, and having to apply for reinstatement is the ultimate dagger into a team.  The higher quality the player, the worse the effect. That is why teams interview everybody on high profile players (high school coaches / teachers included) about the players character.

Once the Federal government recognizes that medical uses for cannabis exists, the maybe the NFL rules will change.  Until then, it is still very easy for players to never get suspended.  #1, never have evidence that you use weed, never use from March to the beginning of the first regular season game. From game 1 until the next March, the NFL Does_Not_Test for recreational substances in players, just PED's! Use away!  It is estimated between 300 to 800 players use 2-3 times a week. Almost all of them know the time frame they can do it, and that time period where they must shut it down for a spell; or risk getting caught and put in substance a buse program (which then makes you a target for substance abuse testing all year long).

14 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

To be blunt, this story is totally true. Ozzie and Bisciotti were going to draft him when the video came out, but then went with Stanley. Bisciotti was very embarrassed by the whole Ray Rice affair , and they are trying to get higher caliber players with no baggage. Of course it's easier said then done. 

This is kind of funny when you consider they had Jamal Lewis read the draft cards on Friday

21 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

could it have been Miami or another team who did that  just to make him fall deeper in the draft? Stranger things have happened. :dunno:

Or possibly one of the other first round Tackle prospects. I'm thinking their agents?

18 hours ago, bababooey said:

My buddy sent me this 

No matter what side of the fence you stand on the legalities of cannabis we are all aware it is not legal federally. Like I preach to my grandsons ( I have two adopted grandsons) if you partake in the use of cannabis there is a time and place for it. Be smart and do not let it hamper you either in your job or a school. Cannabis use is used in pretty much  all walks of life but the ones who have success in their lives are the ones who use self control with the use. These players know when the testing is going to happen and it is pure ignorance to get caught when you know when you are going to be tested. Then to top it off too many still get caught a second and third time even with their livelihood on the line. It boggles my mind how players put their careers on the line just to get high. Cannabis is not suppose to be addictive but that is not true when it is mentally addictive and people lose their jobs and cant get jobs over the use of cannabis. Until cannabis is fully legal federally things will not change in the NFL or anywhere else for that matter. One thing to keep in mind is the insurance aspect of the use of drugs in the work place. The insurance companies do not want the liabilities that comes with drug use in the work place.

On May 2, 2016 at 9:56 PM, The Old Crow said:

Bisciotti was very embarrassed by the whole Ray Rice affair , and they are trying to get higher caliber players with no baggage.

Yes, I can see why the Ravens owner said no thank you to Mr. Tunsil on the first night of the draft. Makes perfect sense.

On 5/1/2016 at 2:20 PM, NFLfan said:

It's unfortunate that social media is a young person lifeblood.  Because, as for as careers go, it offers nothing good and can only be detrimental.  And while the NFL can  do it, they aren't the only ones that can. And while I think I will be right Tunsil will not be placed into the program, he still has one hurdle left to clear. Tunsil will be evaluated by clinical professionals before his status with the league's substance-abuse program is clear, but it's more than likely he won't have to enter Stage 1 of the program.

“Any incoming player with behavior or conduct involving a substance of abuse will be evaluated by the program's advisors. Those clinical professionals — not the club, league or union — will determine whether based on that evaluation the player should be entered into the program. Neither the club nor the league has a role in that process, and are not notified of their decision,”  NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told USA Today Sports.

On May 5, 2016 at 8:13 PM, southwest1 said:

Yes, I can see why the Ravens owner said no thank you to Mr. Tunsil on the first night of the draft. Makes perfect sense.

I liked Tunsil over Stanley, and the Ravens did too, but what do you do when you see a video like that ? You go with the safer pick , but I think Tunsil is better.