Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Caldwell indicates maybe more FA signings

bayone

Near the Bottom of the allstate add in the article is this note

This article talks of The Sims signing too so its after that he made the noted statement

The question now is what more might the Colts do?

When asked Tuesday morning if Indy was looking at any more free agents, Caldwell smiled and said: “There’s a couple.”

That’s a drastic change for a team that prefers keeping the players it develops rather than signing someone else’s.

It is also in an indication of how much wiggle room under the $120.3 million salary cap the Colts created by re-signing Manning to a five-year, $90 million, cap-friendly deal. A week ago, team owner Jim Irsay acknowledged the Colts would likely have to release some players. Indy had budgeted $23.1 million to keep the four-time league MVP under the franchise tag, but the new deal reduced his cap number to $16 million.

My link

Asante Samuel is a long shot at best unless he decides he wants to play for a championship instead of money. It would be awesome though. I would like to see some depth added at DT or the secondary though just to provide some insurance in case of injury. I am excited about the Jamaal Anderson signing though. At the very least I think he's an upgrade over Dawson. Not to take anything away from Dawson but he was simply too small to be playing in the middle at only ~250 lbs.

Jamal Anderson is a good pick up for the colts dline...it not only bulks up our line but adds depth to both DT and DE wich could help us deep in the season also i wouldnt be surprised if he is our 3rd down DT so we can send Freeny/Mathis for the kill....Now trying to get Asante Samuel is going to be hard but i can see it being down it would add great talent to our secondary and depth to out roster but the only way i see us signning him is if he wants to play for a contender and would take less money maybe a one year deal for about 3.5m if we have that cap space but overall he would be a excellent choice for us to try and go afer.

Jamal Anderson is a good pick up for the colts dline...it not only bulks up our line but adds depth to both DT and DE wich could help us deep in the season also i wouldnt be surprised if he is our 3rd down DT so we can send Freeny/Mathis for the kill....Now trying to get Asante Samuel is going to be hard but i can see it being down it would add great talent to our secondary and depth to out roster but the only way i see us signning him is if he wants to play for a contender and would take less money maybe a one year deal for about 3.5m if we have that cap space but overall he would be a excellent choice for us to try and go afer.

Samuel isn't a free-agent and I don't see the Eagles releasing him. If he's traded he will count whatever his base salary is against the cap. Carlos Rogers would be a good pick up if they go the free-agent route.

IMO i think c.rogers would be a better fit for out D

I couldnt agree more he opposite Powers with Whitner and Bethea behind them thats the best coverage the Colrs have had in a while also id love to see them bring in Madison Hedgecock I think it would be great to see the Colts use a FB to help boost the running game, by adding Hedhecock you give Addai a rest and give a blocking RB for Manning when D Brown is in

I would like to see more CB depth now that Hayden is gone, but we don't need to spend big money on a starter. I also would have liked for us to go after a run-stuffing safety, but with the signing of Bullitt, that probably won't happen. Some LB depth would be nice too Nevermind, we have Ernie Sims