Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1st Round Centers since 2000....

It's an impressive list....      and the hit rate is basically 100%.

Just click and read....    it's a short article,  direct and to the point.

That doesn't mean we're taking Kelly.     I'm just saying if we do take Kelly,  history says it's a good decision....

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/16593/picking-a-center-in-the-first-round-of-the-draft-is-rare-but-those-selected-have-been-successful

I don't really think anyone doubts Kelly's talent. He's gonna be a dang good player. But would he be worth taking at 18, when the team clearly has other holes it's gotta fill? Remember, we don't usually draft this high, so we must use this opportunity wisely.

I'm not against taking Kelly. If the team thinks he's that good, and that he helps the team the most, short and long term, then go for it. Though I would prefer we take a defensive player.

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

I don't really think anyone doubts Kelly's talent. He's gonna be a dang good player. But would he be worth taking at 18, when the team clearly has other holes it's gotta fill? Remember, we don't usually draft this high, so we must use this opportunity wisely.

I'm not against taking Kelly. If the team thinks he's that good, and that he helps the team the most, short and long term, then go for it. Though I would prefer we take a defensive player.

I guess it might depend in part on what the Colts think of the centers that might be available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds,   vs.  what they think of the pass rushers available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Those factors may play a roll in the final decision......

Super Bowl winning teams since 2000 and the teams' starting Center:

St. Louis Rams  

Starting Center - Matt Gruttadauria - UDFA

Baltimore Ravens

Starting Center - Jeff Mitchell - R5/134

New England Patriots

Starting Center - Damien Woody - R1/17

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 

Starting Center - Jeff Christy - R4/91

New England Patriots

Starting Center - Dan Koppen - R5/164

New England Patriots

Starting Center - see above

Pittsburgh Steelers

Starting Center - Jeff Hartings - R1/23 (was drafted as an OG)

Indianapolis Colts

Starting Center -  I don't think this needs explanation - UDFA

New York Giants

Starting Center - Shaun O'Hara - UDFA

Pittsburgh Steelers 

Starting Center - Justin Hartwig - R6/187

New Orleans Saints 

Starting Center - Jonathan Goodwin - R5/154

Green Bay Packers

Starting Center - Scott Wells - R7/251

New York Giants 

Starting Center - David Baas - R2/33

Baltimore Ravens 

Starting Center - Matt Birk - R6/173

Seattle Seahawks

Starting Center - Max Unger - R2/49

New England Patriots

Starting Center - Bryan Stork - R4/105

Denver Broncos

Starting Center - Matt Paradis - R6/207

Take this info however you want, but I still firmly believe there is VERY little value in drafting a Center in the first round, no matter how good they are.

Brady was a 6th rounder, Montanna was a 3rd and Peyton was a 1st.  Should we have not picked Peyton at 1 because that's not as good a value as the Pats and 49ers got?   No, if he looks like he's going to be Luck's center for the next 12 years, you take him and he ends up being good value.

4 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Brady was a 6th rounder, Montanna was a 3rd and Peyton was a 1st.  Should we have not picked Peyton at 1 because that's not as good a value as the Pats and 49ers got?   No, if he looks like he's going to be Luck's center for the next 12 years, you take him and he ends up being good value.

Comparing a QB vs a Center...? suuuuurrreeeeee

There are WAAAYYYY more 1st round QB's to have played and won Superbowl's than Centers drafted in the first round, period.

16 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Good post. Everyone knows centers are just as valuable as QBs. 

2 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Comparing a QB vs a Center...? suuuuurrreeeeee

There are WAAAYYYY more 1st round QB's to have played and won Superbowl's than Centers drafted in the first round, period.

I"m not talking about comparing QBs to Centers and I'm not talking about Super Bowls.  I'm talking about a player's value.  If a player is good, it won't matter years from now whether he was 1st round or 2nd round.  It all evens out especially since such a small % of players have longevity in the league.  If he's Luck's center for 10 years, he was well worth a 1st round pick.

27 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Super Bowl winning teams since 2000 and the teams' starting Center:

St. Louis Rams  

Starting Center - Matt Gruttadauria - UDFA

Baltimore Ravens

Starting Center - Jeff Mitchell - R5/134

New England Patriots

Starting Center - Damien Woody - R1/17

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 

Starting Center - Jeff Christy - R4/91

New England Patriots

Starting Center - Dan Koppen - R5/164

New England Patriots

Starting Center - see above

Pittsburgh Steelers

Starting Center - Jeff Hartings - R1/23 (was drafted as an OG)

Indianapolis Colts

Starting Center -  I don't think this needs explanation - UDFA

New York Giants

Starting Center - Shaun O'Hara - UDFA

Pittsburgh Steelers 

Starting Center - Justin Hartwig - R6/187

New Orleans Saints 

Starting Center - Jonathan Goodwin - R5/154

Green Bay Packers

Starting Center - Scott Wells - R7/251

New York Giants 

Starting Center - David Baas - R2/33

Baltimore Ravens 

Starting Center - Matt Birk - R6/173

Seattle Seahawks

Starting Center - Max Unger - R2/49

New England Patriots

Starting Center - Bryan Stork - R4/105

Denver Broncos

Starting Center - Matt Paradis - R6/207

Take this info however you want, but I still firmly believe there is VERY little value in drafting a Center in the first round, no matter how good they are.

I'm with you , but you still wont convince those who favor it because there is 2 first founders and a second rounder in your list. I will say the Colts as an organization haven't showed any value towards the center position in the first round ever. This is over a 60 year time span, they have never selected a center in the first round. Grigson himself had never taken a lineman in the first round period. He's went as high as a second.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm with you , but you still wont convince those who favor it because there is 2 first founders and a second rounder in your list. I will say the Colts as an organization haven't showed any value towards the center position in the first round ever. This is over a 60 year time span, they have never selected a center in the first round. Grigson himself had never taken a lineman in the first round period. He's went as high as a second.

I'm good with taking one in the 2nd, just not in the 1st. At 18, we will have the opportunity to grab a better player than a Center, in my opinion. With our projected scheme change (ZBS) and upgraded coaches, I don't feel it's necessary to take one that early.

I'd like to move back maybe 6 or 7 positions and get perhaps a third if we go this route but if your guy is there and we think he won't be later...well I guess you take him and don't look back. He is likely to make us a better team...and there is little arguing that.