Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With the 18th pick the Indianapolis Colts select...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Jack Conklin OT out of Michigan St

I don't think picking Ryan Kelly would be a bad thing either. He comes from arguably the greatest college program ever and getting a young Center in there for Andrew that is disciplined is ok with me. If we go Pass Rusher I still like Leonard Floyd, Shaq is intriguing as well, Billings would be nice to have as well on Defense. Now watch us take Derrick Henry haha. If that happens, the forum will go crazy.

9 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Ragland just seems like a Grigson pick, good leader, thumping run defending LB, replicates a position most feel we have taken care of......  not an OL......  yep, fits the profile of a Grigson 1st rounder....

woah there...how have we "taken care of" the MLB position?  Personally I'd rank defensive needs as OLB > MLB > S > CB > DL.  The entire LB corp really needs an overhaul, especially since we still don't really know what we'll get from Moore or Irving.

7 minutes ago, B~Town said:

Love draft day hysteria guys suggesting grabbing second and 3rd rd talent over possible top 15 talent just for the need factor

But yet some players that get Drafted in Rounds 3-6 have had better career's than the Top 10 picks in many Drafts. Joe Montana - Round 3, Tom Brady - Round 6, and Terrell Davis - Round 6 just to name 3. I can actually list 100's of players that should've been taken in the Top 15 instead of some of the players that were taken in past Drafts.

3 minutes ago, B~Town said:

Love draft day hysteria guys suggesting grabbing second and 3rd rd talent over possible top 15 talent just for the need factor

Gump is a 1st round talent!  I'm willing to put up a box of chocolate on that!  The only issues I have on Forrest is how are we gonna mow the field now that we have turf.  Lol!  B-town and all the others you all have a happy draft daft day!... Like B-town has said in a couple of hours let the the hysteria begin

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

But yet some players that get Drafted in Rounds 3-6 have had better career's than the Top 10 picks in many Drafts. Joe Montana - Round 3, Tom Brady - Round 6, and Terrell Davis - Round 6 just to name 3. I can actually list 100's of players that should've been taken in the Top 15 instead of some of the players that were taken in past Drafts.

So true look at Denver and Seattle's recent drafts they got some amazing talent in later rds . Right  now nobody knows it's part of the draft hysteria love draft weekend like it's own holiday .

2 minutes ago, B~Town said:

So true look at Denver and Seattle's recent drafts they got some amazing talent in later rds . Right  now nobody knows it's part of the draft hysteria love draft weekend like it's own holiday .

Yeah I am looking forward to see who we pick 1st. I really don't have a strong feel on it because we could go O.Line or a Defensive player or who knows how Grigs thinks?? A lot of players in the history of the game that have been Good to Great have surprisingly came from Round 3-6

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

Ragland just seems like a Grigson pick, good leader, thumping run defending LB, replicates a position most feel we have taken care of......  not an OL......  yep, fits the profile of a Grigson 1st rounder....

It may not be a pick you like, but it won't be a bad pick. I guarantee you. You won't look back in 3 years and curse Grigson for the pick.

I hope we don't even pick tonight...

Since we are starting out with only 6 picks, I'd like to see the Colts trade down to acquire more picks (more than once preferably), and still pick up a solid guy like Ryan Kelly or Reggie Ragland at the bottom of the 1st/top of the 2nd.  And with more picks to work with, maybe we could use a pick on a project like Jaylon Smith.

We don't have the ammo to move up for an elite player without making a Mike Ditka/Ricky Williams type trade and shooting ourselves in the foot.  So instead of taking a risk and going for a flashy "difference maker", we should play it safe and target as many "solid" players in the middle rounds as possible.  I like Dorsett, but hindsight is 20/20, and we should have done this last year.  Dorsett didn't turn out to be special, and we could have turned that pick into more middle-round picks on solid guys like Anderson and Parry.

Quantity over quality, if you will, and since the quality might not still be there at #18, trade down for more quantity in the middle rounds.

Or we could draft a punter at #18 to make sure McAfee doesn't become complacent. :thmup:

:clover:

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Why,    because he is poor in coverage?  Most young ILB are. He isn't my favorite,    but he isn't a bad player

No, I don't believe the position is very important to our D (the least important), and I like some of the young talent we have there (Sio, Irving, Sylvester).  Passing up similarly rated players at more important positions that are bigger needs would be a mistake.  I understand you may not agree with some of my assumptions...

3 hours ago, Jason_S said:

woah there...how have we "taken care of" the MLB position?  Personally I'd rank defensive needs as OLB > MLB > S > CB > DL.  The entire LB corp really needs an overhaul, especially since we still don't really know what we'll get from Moore or Irving.

it's not much better than OL for sure..... but at least we have guys who won't get destroyed pretty much every snap at OLB, and MLB THIS season...... we have a ton of holes, but our OL gets destroyed on most plays.... at least Jackson, Mathis, and Walden can hold up most of the time... we need guys that can start at LB soon, but we should be ok game one this coming season....OL....we haven't even reached OK status for four years....

10 hours ago, gacker65 said:

How do you call Kelly a 1st rounder when he has 2 things going against at the start.  I'll give you that he is a good run blocker, but Kelly lacks in Pass Pro.  Second, he is from Alabama.  Alabama O-line men have taken a few years to getting adjusted to the NFL and I am against taking a project to protect Luck.

We need an impact player this year, instead of a project 

Good luck actually finding an impact rookie OLINEMAN.  They all usually will take some time to develop.  

8 hours ago, MSColtsFan said:

I'd love to read what you're seeing on his pass protection.  He hasn't allowed a sack in two seasons.  And he wasn't flagged for a penalty in over 1000 snaps last year.  I've read he sometimes struggles to read stunts, but that is universally followed by it's a minor correctable issue.  He was the sixth rated high school center in the nation his senior year, so his evaluation isn't an Alabama thing exclusively - he's been highly regarded since he was 17.

Just like Harrison was rated high by PFF.  Whatever.  

Just now, jvan1973 said:

He gave up zero sacks and 4 hurries on 488 pass plays last year in the SEC.  

Somebody else mentioned that as well.  According to PFF, Harrison didn't give up very many sacks either, yet I remember 3 in the Panther's game.

also, every one seems to have forgotten about the Bama O-line curse.  They get drafted in the 1st round and take 2-3 years to adjust to the NFL.  Then what ever just Luck's problem.

14 hours ago, gacker65 said:

How do you call Kelly a 1st rounder when he has 2 things going against at the start.  I'll give you that he is a good run blocker, but Kelly lacks in Pass Pro.  Second, he is from Alabama.  Alabama O-line men have taken a few years to getting adjusted to the NFL and I am against taking a project to protect Luck.

We need an impact player this year, instead of a project 

Kelly lacks in pass pro? He gave up 0 sacks last year lol