Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With the 18th pick the Indianapolis Colts select...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, JohnnyP said:

I hope we trade back and get an extra second rounder ....but if we hold the 18th pick, i'd do cartwheels if we got Nkemdiche.  ....i know i'm in the minority here, but he's got the ability and has already demonstrated it ....it's not like he's a "potential" type of guy that hasn't reached it yet. ...he's played very big at times ....just need to get him to do it more consistently ....he's freakish ..i'm willing to take the risk with his off the field stuff as well.

I think that would be the worst pick we could possibly make. I hate this guy as a football player with a passion. He's a much worse Clowney in the fact that he takes plays off and gives effort only when he wants too, but he also has character concerns and there is no upside to taking him at 18. You can get someone like Billings or Conklin who is a better player than him and is squeaky clean at 18, rather than take an unnecessary risk on Nkedmiche who is a 3rd round pick at best.

I think the Colts go with Ragland.

But I will say this... there is no player in the the draft that will make the Colts instant favorites to win the Superbowl, I think their chances of making the SB will be roughly the same after the draft as it is right now.  But there are a lot of players that can help the Colts now and in the future and quite a few of them will be available at #18.

23 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think it will be between Kelly, Ragland, Floyd, or a top rated DT

This is what I'm thinking too.

It really depends on who's available....if Kelly is gone, I can see Ragland. But if someone like Shaq Lawson is still available then things will get really complicated.

Just now, PeterBowman said:

This is what I'm thinking too.

It really depends on who's available....if Kelly is gone, I can see Ragland. But if someone like Shaq Lawson is still available then things will get really complicated.

Gimme Shaq!

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think that would be the worst pick we could possibly make. I hate this guy as a football player with a passion. He's a much worse Clowney in the fact that he takes plays off and gives effort only when he wants too, but he also has character concerns and there is no upside to taking him at 18. You can get someone like Billings or Conklin who is a better player than him and is squeaky clean at 18, rather than take an unnecessary risk on Nkedmiche who is a 3rd round pick at best.

i know there's risk there ....i don't think we take him anyway ...but i'm still a big fan of his talent.  if it weren't for the off the field stuff, he'd be in the top 10 easily.  ....Conklin is overrated and has looked pretty bad in some games. ...i do like Billings though.....wouldn't mind us picking him at all.

Been interesting to see how much movement there has been with certain players, as there always is, right before the draft. Floyd was bottom of the first, how some have him in the top 10, Hargraves was top 5 now saw one mock that had him at 14. Just have this feeling like one of the top tier guys is going to drop to us- Lawson, Floyd, etc.

If we have the opportunity to get an edge, would love to see us take one of those guys, my guess is that Lawson is the one who will fall (purely a guess). But if we end up with the best C in this draft, would be alright as well.  So I will go with Shaq Lawson putting the horseshoe on this fall.

7 minutes ago, JohnnyP said:

i know there's risk there ....i don't think we take him anyway ...but i'm still a big fan of his talent.  if it weren't for the off the field stuff, he'd be in the top 10 easily.  ....Conklin is overrated and has looked pretty bad in some games. ...i do like Billings though.....wouldn't mind us picking him at all.

I don't think we'll screw up this pick, but I have a feeling we may pick Ryan Kelly and not trade down, which would be a mistake IMO. I hope we explore all trade down options, as any extra ammo would be nice.

1 hour ago, gacker65 said:

How do you call Kelly a 1st rounder when he has 2 things going against at the start.  I'll give you that he is a good run blocker, but Kelly lacks in Pass Pro.  Second, he is from Alabama.  Alabama O-line men have taken a few years to getting adjusted to the NFL and I am against taking a project to protect Luck.

We need an impact player this year, instead of a project 

By all accounts he is no project, but yes, his run blocking is ahead of his pass blocking.

If there is truly an impactful defensive player at 18, who isn't a project in his own way, that's fine with me.

18 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't think we'll screw up this pick, but I have a feeling we may pick Ryan Kelly and not trade down, which would be a mistake IMO. I hope we explore all trade down options, as any extra ammo would be nice.

This is a little bit of different spot for us to draft, we either been at 1 or in the high twenties.  If one of those top tier guys really do start to fall, we are actually at a spot in the draft order that someone might want to trade up to grab one of these guys. With only 6 picks, would not mind getting one or two more, we certainly have the need for them.

Just now, DougDew said:

By all accounts he is no project, but yes, his run blocking is ahead of his pass blocking.

If there is truly an impactful defensive player at 18, who isn't a project in his own way, that's fine with me.

All prospects are projects to some degree

30 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm sure they are looking to pick up more picks. You need a dance partner though

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Take him out of Alabama and we would not be talking about him because of his Pas Pro.  I understand that all draft picks are a bit of a project, but Alabama O-linemen are having trouble adjusting to the NFL.

11 minutes ago, gacker65 said:

Take him out of Alabama and we would not be talking about him because of his Pas Pro.  I understand that all draft picks are a bit of a project, but Alabama O-linemen are having trouble adjusting to the NFL.

I'd love to read what you're seeing on his pass protection.  He hasn't allowed a sack in two seasons.  And he wasn't flagged for a penalty in over 1000 snaps last year.  I've read he sometimes struggles to read stunts, but that is universally followed by it's a minor correctable issue.  He was the sixth rated high school center in the nation his senior year, so his evaluation isn't an Alabama thing exclusively - he's been highly regarded since he was 17.

3 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

2nd bold prediction...

Shaw Lawson falls and he, Billings, Spence, and Floyd are on the board.  All colts fans are sitting on the edge of their seats and then we hear...  Derrick Henry...

:peek:

:popcorn::sip::Nuke:

Sadly this is the most likely scenario

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If Elliot drops, I know he won't, it's him.  If Elliot drops close enough we might trade up a few spots to get him.  Most likely Kelly if he's there.  If Kelly goes early I think Whitehair or Nkemdiche. 

The odds of the Colts drafting Elliot are slim enough if he were there....no way they trade up even one spot to draft him.  

I'm not sure you can trade back and still take Kelly anymore.... This scenario is the ideal, but there is no guarantee......  I think Kelly would be a fine pick, but I wonder if it's gonna be Ragland.  Grigson just said there were guys with red flags that had exams/interviews that made them feel better about them, he said this right after medical re-evaluations.  Then today, it comes out that Ragland has fallen on some teams boards due to an enlarged aorta, and at the same time, several teams have expressed confidence that it is a non issue and are fine with his position on their boards......  unless it's a smokescreen, I think he'll take Ragland if there.....  personally, I want Kelly I think.....