Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Miller: The love is real for Ryan Kelly in Indianapolis

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

I trust Mike Mayock's football judgement implicitly. High praise from Mikey there. Pull the trigger Ryan. Don't hesitate. 

I often listen to Mike broadcast Notre Dame Football Games & NFL Network games. The man knows what the hades he's talking about both as a broadcaster & evaluator. Did he call Kelly a "meathead?" That's code for a meat & potatoes, rough & rouged, smart football player. A non sexy, in the trenches, freaking stud. 

I mentioned taking a center earlier in the first round and got blasted for saying that I thought a center was important enough to use a first pick on. I still believe taking a center with the first pick if Kelly falls to #18. Future wins depend on trench players and if a starter can be found with the first pick and has the talent level most seem to think Kelly has I have no problem at all picking him.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Mayock mocked RK to us, tonight.  He also said he's a big body that can play all 3 inside line positions.   I had also read, from several sources, that he's a guy that will step right in immediately at C and will likely be a Pro Bowler in short order.

If you accept that he's an immediate starter and will quickly establish himself as a Pro Bowl caliber centre, given the Colts' inside OL needs, I say you grab him with glee and you don't worry about the nit pickers that say at the 18th pick is 4-6 spots too high.  For goodness sakes, he sounds like the perfect player at a position of extreme need.  No regrets if he's the actual choice.

Couldn't agree more.

4 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

if it is that easy and that unimportant then if you definitely believe in best player available I would be surprise if a center ever showed up on anyone's draft board. as for Woody's quote, i'd have to hear it in context. I could h  Peyton making a statement like 'Playing QB was easy for him.' Could that be construed as playing QB is easy for everyone? We have a couple Cs on our roster that may disagree that playing C is easy..

Why do people have to take a statement to ridiculous levels?  Just because it's the easiest position on the Oline doesn't mean you don't want a quality player there. Jeez.......

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

.I just wonder how much better he is than a 2nd or 3rd rd center prospect and if we aren't paying a premium because he is an Alabama offensive lineman with name recognition

I don't wonder about those things. He's much better, IMO, than Nick Martin or any other center in this draft, that I've watched. I don't really care that he went to Alabama, I'm about the way he plays.

7 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Polian says he's the 4th best player in the draft.  He says Elliot is best.  For what it's worth anyway. 

I like Polian. But don't forget he also said Trent Richardson was the best player in Luck's draft

Uncle Bill does love him some RBs

8 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I trust Mike Mayock's football judgement implicitly. High praise from Mikey there. Pull the trigger Ryan. Don't hesitate. 

I often listen to Mike broadcast Notre Dame Football Games & NFL Network games. The man knows what the hades he's talking about both as a broadcaster & evaluator. Did he call Kelly a "meathead?" That's code for a meat & potatoes, rough & rouged, smart football player. A non sexy, in the trenches, freaking stud. 

If we go Kelly i bless the pick SW1 even though its a center.  I think the Detroit Lions will take him though

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

If we go Kelly i bless the pick SW1 even though its a center.  I think the Detroit Lions will take him though

Nah Im expecting a D Lineman or Tackle from the Lions, They may take a Center in my opinion later

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Haven't seen one post in 5 pages that says Kelly will be BPA at 18. Just further reason we don't need to take him. The only reading people want him is for need.

If the Colts take him at 18, he will have been their BPA.  At least that's what we'll hear.  That it became the perfect storm of BPA meets need. 

I also think that BPA for Kelly at 18 has been discussed in this thread.  I think Kelly sits in a tightly packed group of players between say 15 and 45, maybe even more, who are being evaluated fairly equally.  And at that stage, when there is no clear cut choice, need I bet weighs heavy on an organization, especially when the owner has specifically mentioned center...

41 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Nah Im expecting a D Lineman or Tackle from the Lions, They may take a Center in my opinion later

41 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I'm going off the reports that say the lions are really interested. I could see DT for them with Ngata being an old player.

10 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Mayock mocked RK to us, tonight.  He also said he's a big body that can play all 3 inside line positions.   I had also read, from several sources, that he's a guy that will step right in immediately at C and will likely be a Pro Bowler in short order.

If you accept that he's an immediate starter and will quickly establish himself as a Pro Bowl caliber centre, given the Colts' inside OL needs, I say you grab him with glee and you don't worry about the nit pickers that say at the 18th pick is 4-6 spots too high.  For goodness sakes, he sounds like the perfect player at a position of extreme need.  No regrets if he's the actual choice.

Yes.  I am one of those nitpickers that says try to trade down about 2 or 3 spots, ideally. That would mean the Jets and Bills wouldn't be expected to take RK.....but they actually might do it.  I say that because the Jets, via Rex Ryan, and the Bills, also via Rex Ryan, have seen the value of a steady C in Nick Mangold and might just pick RK if we try to get cute.

But if a player at any position except P and K is expected to be a pro bowler in a short time, I have no problem picking him at 18.

17 minutes ago, krunk said:

there's a couple articles on the net saying Kelly is the lions top Want.

Yes, there is real concern that Kelly may be gone by 18.  Detroit has struggled at C for a number of years...and Blinky has seen the value of having a great C in Saturday.

2 hours ago, MSColtsFan said:

If the Colts take him at 18, he will have been their BPA.  At least that's what we'll hear.  That it became the perfect storm of BPA meets need. 

I also think that BPA for Kelly at 18 has been discussed in this thread.  I think Kelly sits in a tightly packed group of players between say 15 and 45, maybe even more, who are being evaluated fairly equally.  And at that stage, when there is no clear cut choice, need I bet weighs heavy on an organization, especially when the owner has specifically mentioned center...

That's not what posters are suggesting. No one is saying we're going to take him because he'll be BPA. Everyone is saying we NEED to take him because he can help fix the line. Everyone knows Grigson feels about centers like Reese feels about LBs. He just doesn't value the position high. I'm not sure why Kelly would be that high up on his board.

Part of me feels that people know Grigson isn't going to pick a center, but since they want him to fail they're trying to convince themselves that Kelly is the logical pick so that when he doesn't draft him people will say he went against the grain and ignored our needs.

5 hours ago, Gavin said:

If we adopt that approach, we will playing musical chairs trying to find slightly above average or serviceable center next yr too. Look, I understand that centers aren't sexy or glamorous picks. Just find Jeff Saturday's this draft please. 

On 4/27/2016 at 1:59 PM, krunk said:

How are Alex Mack and Von Miller getting graded in the same ball park?  1 point slightly ahead of the other?  On who's draft board?

I couldn't find a draft profile for Alex Mack with his pre-draft grade, but here is the draft profile for Von Miller, which gives him the 8.7 grade that Dustin mentioned.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/von-miller?id=2495202

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Haven't seen one post in 5 pages that says Kelly will be BPA at 18. Just further reason we don't need to take him. The only reading people want him is for need.

There is picking a player for need when protecting your QB and kick starting the running game is at stake. The center position touches the ball on every offensive snap. Overlooking a centers importance is not smart.

Wouldn't it be great fun if the Colts traded up to get ahead of Detroit to take Kelly?  There is this blog to make your head begin the countdown to implosion...

The Lions really want to draft Alabama center Ryan Kelly. However, the Colts want to draft Kelly, too. Detroit has the 16th pick, two spots ahead of Indianapolis. Could this perhaps entice a trade?

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016/4/27/11519834/cowboys-draft-trade-rumors-dallas-could-be-key-driver-of-first-round-trades

15 minutes ago, MSColtsFan said:

Wouldn't it be great fun if the Colts traded up to get ahead of Detroit to take Kelly?  There is this blog to make your head begin the countdown to implosion...

The Lions really want to draft Alabama center Ryan Kelly. However, the Colts want to draft Kelly, too. Detroit has the 16th pick, two spots ahead of Indianapolis. Could this perhaps entice a trade?

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016/4/27/11519834/cowboys-draft-trade-rumors-dallas-could-be-key-driver-of-first-round-trades

I was starting to consider that possibility.  It would cost our 3rd rounder I think.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I was starting to consider that possibility.  It would cost our 3rd rounder I think.

First, I was thinking please don't happen... then I was thinking swap firsts with the Saints, or Bears, they get the Colts second rounder, and they also swap fourths.  I think that math is about right for moving up to 11 or 12.  Of course at 11 or 12 the debate about BPA would be so much richer...  Lets forget I mentioned this...

22 minutes ago, MSColtsFan said:

First, I was thinking please don't happen... then I was thinking swap firsts with the Saints, or Bears, they get the Colts second rounder, and they also swap fourths.  I think that math is about right for moving up to 11 or 12.  Of course at 11 or 12 the debate about BPA would be so much richer...  Lets forget I mentioned this...

In the link you provided, it also said that the Vikes and another club wants to move up to get Doctson (sp?) the WR.  We'd be in a perfect position to trade down and pick up a 3rd, and still get a good player.

I'm all for Kelly. The fact that everyone screams "protect Luck, but don't draft a center" is amazing. The guy who touches the ball every play, who helps to call out blitzes, stunts and overall run the line needs to be good and smart, which Kelly is. I'm all for a great center, as we've had the nightmare that is Holmes/Harrison and how badly they played. Our overall line performance and run game would indeed improve with him under center. 

29 minutes ago, MSColtsFan said:

This where GMs also could have a multiple year strategy involved.  If you think we will get one or two comp picks next year for the net loss of Freeman, Fleener, Lowery, you might afford to trade next year's 2nd rounder to leapfrog the three spots to get ahead of Detroit. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

There is picking a player for need when protecting your QB and kick starting the running game is at stake. The center position touches the ball on every offensive snap. Overlooking a centers importance is not smart.

Mans over valuing a center for need is not smart either. We'll see in a few hours though.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

This where GMs also could have a multiple year strategy involved.  If you think we will get one or two comp picks next year for the net loss of Freeman, Fleener, Lowery, you might afford to trade next year's 2nd rounder to leapfrog the three spots to get ahead of Detroit. 

So we're using a 1st (~15) and next year's 2nd on Kelly now?  Sorry, if I missed something earlier in the convo

16 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

After watching the atrocious play by our centers the last 3+ years, how could anybody not be a fan of picking Kelly?

Even as a rookie he'd probably be better than Holmes and Harrison.  

If we take a center in the first round, and I'm not against it, there can be no probably. We would need to be 100% sure.