Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why didn't you all tell me Karl Joseph was this good?

Ed Reed was a good size safety 20 years ago when he was drafted.

Noncontact ACL injury and the player won't be ready to play by the start of the season.  I guess that means we know that his knee will heal properly between now and then.

Like the Jaylon Smith and Myles Jack comments, I don't get the assumption that these guys will play as well after their knee surgeries as before.

Pass.

24 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Ed Reed was a good size safety 20 years ago when he was drafted.

Noncontact ACL injury and the player won't be ready to play by the start of the season.  I guess that means we know that his knee will heal properly between now and then.

Like the Jaylon Smith and Myles Jack comments, I don't get the assumption that these guys will play as well after their knee surgeries as before.

Pass.

Ed Reed was drafted in 2002 man. Devin McCourty and Earl Thomas are the same size. 

3 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Ed Reed was drafted in 2002 man. Devin McCourty and Earl Thomas are the same size. 

I thought Reed played in the NFL since like 1977.

I don't think McCourty has the reputation of throwing his body around.  If Joseph was as careful as McCourty, and focused strictly on centerfielding  and not crunching hits, his tape wouldn't be as impressive and people would be talking about round 2 and not round 1...if you follow.

Thomas plays for Seattle, so he's probably juiced anyway.

My point is, I don't think he is big enough to play the same way in the NFL as he did in college, so I think the 1st round grade is a bit fluffy.

30 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't think McCourty has the reputation of throwing his body around.  If Joseph was as careful as McCourty, and focused strictly on centerfielding  and not crunching hits, his tape wouldn't be as impressive and people would be talking about round 2 and not round 1...if you follow.

My point is, I don't think he is big enough to play the same way in the NFL as he did in college, so I think the 1st round grade is a bit fluffy.

Polamalu was the same size as joseph

34 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Thomas isn't "juiced".  He's actually a pretty good kid and a very good safety.  He was playing at a high level long before the NFL and the Seahawks.

Nit pickers galore!

To my eyes, he looks skinny and small boned, not thick like Palomalu.

BTW:.  just lifting a quote from the first site I googled..NFL.com.

"Doesn't have desired thickness of frame for the ruckus he likes to bring as a hitter".

And official height is 5'10"

Nice player.  Not worth pick #18.

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

You're the nit picker here. You don't like him because he's not two inches taller.

Actually, I simply said he was 5'10" my first post, and I was right.  Others tried to pick it an inch to 5'11 in order to compare him size wise to Ed Reed and Palomalu.  He's shorter and thinner than both. 

I don't like him because he's too small (should have said "thin framed") COMBINED with playing like he's bigger.  Short and thin is fine, if he played strictly like a centerfielder. He'll likely have to downshift his game into not hitting as hard in the NFL, rendering the physicality displayed on college tape moot.

That's why I don't like him at #18.  And I like other players attached to a trade down option better.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Actually, I simply said he was 5'10" my first post, and I was right.  Others tried to pick it an inch to 5'11 in order to compare him size wise to Ed Reed and Palomalu.  He's shorter and thinner than both. 

I don't like him because he's too small (should have said "thin framed") COMBINED with playing like he's bigger.  Short and thin is fine, if he played strictly like a centerfielder. He'll likely have to downshift his game into not hitting as hard in the NFL, rendering the physicality displayed on college tape moot.

That's why I don't like him at #18.  And I like other players attached to a trade down option better.

Polamalu was 5'10 207

Joseph.             5'10.  205

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

It sounds like your disregarding he will put on some weight once he gets into the NFL

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

"Doesn't have desired thickness of frame for the ruckus he likes to bring as a hitter"

I doubt a team is going to let him come in and play with reckless abandon, like he did at WV... He's a good clean-up player but the dude has tremendous ball skills. He's a FS all day long in the NFL. Sit him in center field and have him go make plays on the ball. He would also be an exceptional nickel corner if this Colts needed him to be.

7 minutes ago, Gavin said:

It sounds like your disregarding he will put on some weight once he gets into the NFL

I'm not sure putting more weight onto a naturally thin boned person is good for durability.  At least I'm not disregarding that he may not come back to being the same player after the ACL.

Geez, there are ALOT of options at 18, or for trade down, and it sounds like many of the steady contributorson this forum  want a FS that won't be able to cash the checks his attitude writes.

7 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I doubt a team is going to let him come in and play with reckless abandon, like he did at WV... He's a good clean-up player but the dude has tremendous ball skills. He's a FS all day long in the NFL. Sit him in center field and have him go make plays on the ball. He would also be an exceptional nickel corner if this Colts needed him to be.

Exactly.  If people would read closely, that is what I'm saying.

And FSs, even with great ball skills, or exceptional nickel CBs, don't normally get drafted at 18.  It would be as out of place as drafting a great Center at 18...........

Just now, DougDew said:

Exactly.  If people would you read closely, that is what I'm saying.

And FSs, even with great ball skills, or exceptional nickel CBs, don't get drafted at 18.  It would be as out of place as drafting a great Center at 18...........

My last point was about him being versatile, not demeaning his value. If he doesn't have his ACL injury he's probably a top-10/15 guy.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I don't think he's thin framed. He's actually well put together for a safety. 

58 minutes ago, GOCOLTS_ROLLTIDE said:

Then he's back in time for play offs and held us win the super bowl. ..... sound familiar 

Yup.  Bob Sanders.  great pick.  Bum foot at the time he was drafted.

which was in the 2nd round

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I don't think he's thin framed. He's actually well put together for a safety. 

I saw the highlight clips and the first thing I thought of was a thin guy who hits hard rather than a thick guy who hits hard.  Only today did I stumble on that quote from NFL.com.

And 5 pounds of bird shot wrapped in a baggy and stuffed in their cavity can help a guy weigh in at over 200 lbs...haha

A good player that would be a nice addition, but size wise, he doesn't remind me of Palomalu or Sanders.