Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taylor Decker

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Is anyone else sick and tired of seeing Decker mocked to the Colts constantly?

He's not going to be that good IMO

I am absolutely sick of it. I don't know how good he's going to be, but the value is not there at 18.

24 minutes ago, krunk said:

Where's that clip of Khalil Mack whiipping Deckers behind when I need it?

To be fair, that was three season ago.  Decker has improved immensely since then.

Yes, I'm a Buckeye, but I'm on record saying I wouldn't take him at 18 either.  But it's because I think edge rusher is a bigger need.  Heck, center is a bigger need.

however, if we do take him I think he'll be an instant starter and very good player.

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

To be fair, that was three season ago.  Decker has improved immensely since then.

Yes, I'm a Buckeye, but I'm on record saying I wouldn't take him at 18 either.  But it's because I think edge rusher is a bigger need.  Heck, center is a bigger need.

however, if we do take him I think he'll be an instant starter and very good player.

I'm sure he has improved, I'm just tired of them constantly mocking him to us as if there are no other players we can take. 

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

I think he will be a pretty solid run blocker but will be inconsistent as a pass blocker. Not horrible but inconsistent

7 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I think he will be a pretty solid run blocker but will be inconsistent as a pass blocker. Not horrible but inconsistent

Again, I'm not pushing for him.  But if you want to get a more detailed opinion about his pass blocking, check out this article.

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2016/1/18/10764734/taylor-decker-scouting-report-2016-nfl-draft-profile-ohio-state

I'm tired of Decker being mocked but only because the Colts have publicly chosen to say they need help at center and guard,  but they think they're OK at tackle.     The media experts have decided that needing help on the line almost always translates to "take a tackle"....    and I find that weak.     No one is paying attention.

But I also think the anti-Decker rants here are equally tiring.   He's an exceptional run blocker and that's what we need at RT.     He's an average pass blocker.    Nothing wrong with that.     

If the Colts take Decker than they've got him graded pretty highly.    Or, their past comments about center and guard are smoke screens.      We'll find out Thursday night.

I don't get it either. i don't think he would be bpa at 18. Now if Conklin was there it might make me pause because you don't ignore a player like that just because you have a bigger need inside. It isn't like we have the RT of our future on this team. We have a serviceable one. That said I'd rather go G/C in rds two and 3 and find an OLB rd 1. Fact is these guys take the bpa at the biggest need when mocking drafts. That's why they get like 75% of the picks wrong. Heck even when the team is on the clock they miss it half the time. It's all Irrelavant. On Thursday we will know who we take And I doubt any mock draft on this board or NFL.com gets it right. To many variables between now and then. Is it frustrating seeing that the experts don't even know our biggest position of need...yes but even if they knew they still would mess it up. It's a narrative....just like on the news networks. They don't have independent thinkers and they want to tell the country or in this case...us what we need even when we have sent clear indicators from our front office like voters what we think.

Yeah it really annoys me how everyone has him penciled in to is like its a given. Like NCF said O think people look at the Colts O-line trouble and just automatically assume "Oh they need a OT".

Its laziness IMO. They should actually do some research before they do mocks. And it's not like we're a top 5-10 team where it's some what clear who we should take. There are a lot of options at 18.

And the funniest thing is it's not even based on interest. It's not like the Colts have been working him out, visiting with him,etc..It's all based on some perceived need.

22 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah it really annoys me how everyone has him penciled in to is like its a given. Like NCF said O think people look at the Colts O-line trouble and just automatically assume "Oh they need a OT".

Its laziness IMO. They should actually do some research before they do mocks. And it's not like we're a top 5-10 team where it's some what clear who we should take. There are a lot of options at 18.

And the funniest thing is it's not even based on interest. It's not like the Colts have been working him out, visiting with him,etc..It's all based on some perceived need.

If we're talking Center (and not Taylor Decker) then it's a need.   We've publicly said we need a center....

If you're talking OT (Decker,  then we agree....    we've shown little to no public interest in him.  

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If we're talking Center (and not Taylor Decker) then it's a need.   We've publicly said we need a center....

If you're talking OT (Decker,  then we agree....    we've shown little to no public interest in him.  

True.  I think Martin at 2 (assuming Kelly is gone by then) addresses that need just fine.  

43 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah I meant at OT. Not saying I wouldn't take Conklin but the real need is on the interior of the line.

Decker wouldn't be a good pick based on who might be there.

Sorry you "D" lovers, but if the Colts don't come out of the first two rounds with two quality OF line starters, our season will be over by game 6, because we won't have a healthy QB who can get us to the playoffs.  With protection, our offense can be playoff/championship caliber.  Since we are not really strong on either side of the ball as of today, let's fix the offensive side, who could put up 30-40 pts. per game, and fix the defensive side as options present themselves.   

I agree, it's annoying. Not because we could find a use for a new OT, but just that Decker in particular just doesn't feel like he meets the value of pick 18. I don't even know if I feel he deserves to go in the first round... Not a bad player, he just doesn't seem good enough.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm tired of Decker being mocked but only because the Colts have publicly chosen to say they need help at center and guard,  but they think they're OK at tackle.     The media experts have decided that needing help on the line almost always translates to "take a tackle"....    and I find that weak.     No one is paying attention.

But I also think the anti-Decker rants here are equally tiring.   He's an exceptional run blocker and that's what we need at RT.     He's an average pass blocker.    Nothing wrong with that.     

If the Colts take Decker than they've got him graded pretty highly.    Or, their past comments about center and guard are smoke screens.      We'll find out Thursday night.

I disagree on Decker.  I don't think he's going to be a successful run blocker either.  

On my board "again this is imo" I have about 70 players rated higher than Decker.  I'm not saying he's trash it's just I don't see him at being starter quality at either run blocking nor pass blocking until he gets some work from NFL coaches and training.

How many of you complainers even watched Taylor Decker? I'm not trying to say I guarantee he's going to be a pro bowler, but come on. If we pick him, I'm not gonna complain. He's a nasty run blocker, and we can't run the football... I can see a pretty good match. 

Maybe some of you guys will be swayed a little out of your preemptive outrage over mock drafts by reading this:

6 hours ago, richard pallo said:

PFF has him ranked as the 58th overall prospect.  Whitehair 17th, Kelly 42nd.  I am not real excited about him though. 

I find this the most interesting bit, how different there breakdown is of athletes, and where there at. Corey Coleman in the top 10? Almost every year though, we see how correct people are who think a little out of the box. Last year was not one of those years I admit in the first round, but most years there are always surprises. When the Seahawks took Irvin with the 15th. 2014 was filled with "out of left field" picks. JaWuan Jones to the Dolphins in the first, Dee Ford at 23, Dominique Easley who was just let go by the Patriots, and the run of safeties at the end of the 1st round because demand pushed them up.

One thing I do believe about the draft is we underestimate how much low supply and high demand will push up players. Even at QB I am amazed at times. Yesterday on M&M, I can't remember who, but had 5 QB's going in the 1st, and it is possible. QB's always get pushed up.

Another thing that happens, and I think this may fit Taylor Deckard a bit, he is from Ohio St. Coming from a big power school always helps. More eyes, the more chance someone is impressed.

The great thing, only 4 more days until Thursday. I give my Final on Thursday, so I can sit back and grade, while enjoying the 3 hours. It will make the time pass by quickly, and when the Colts trade back and snag either Ryan Kelly or Karl Joseph late in the first, I am going to be one happy camper.

One last thought, no way Conklin last past 15. I believe he may be the best tackle. Not athletically, but he has a defensive line mentality, and that is what I want clearing the lanes for me. I would love for him to drop!

3 hours ago, evilleseniorfan said:

Sorry you "D" lovers, but if the Colts don't come out of the first two rounds with two quality OF line starters, our season will be over by game 6, because we won't have a healthy QB who can get us to the playoffs.  With protection, our offense can be playoff/championship caliber.  Since we are not really strong on either side of the ball as of today, let's fix the offensive side, who could put up 30-40 pts. per game, and fix the defensive side as options present themselves.   

Lol... I'm going to start all of my posts that way from now on. 

7 hours ago, krunk said:

I'm sure he has improved, I'm just tired of them constantly mocking him to us as if there are no other players we can take. 

Hey, the media cannot stop bashing our OL, and Decker will probably be the only LT the so called experts have high enough for us to take at our spot. God knows we could not follow a different path, like Spence or Joseph, and then get a guard in the second. Heck if I was in the media, I know I would be mocking us Ryan Kelly because he is very good, and a Center which we desperately need.

I look at this the way I do financial bubbles in the market. Yes I am a finance guy. Anytime I start to see

major magazines with covers touting something in the stock market, I know it is time to get out. That is almost always the signal for a top in whatever market it is. Almost always works.

So the way I look at it is the more Taylor Decker gets mocked to us, the less I believe it will happen. Information is counter intuitive many times, and you have to understand this in the media especially. When the Star went over all the mock drafts from all the big names, and Decker was the leader percentage wise going to us, I thought it was a good sign. If you tend not to think like the masses, it usually helps!

3 hours ago, Surge89 said:

I disagree on Decker.  I don't think he's going to be a successful run blocker either.  

On my board "again this is imo" I have about 70 players rated higher than Decker.  I'm not saying he's trash it's just I don't see him at being starter quality at either run blocking nor pass blocking until he gets some work from NFL coaches and training.

For whatever it's worth....   and it may not be worth much of anything to you....   but just thought I'd share...

For your consideration....

Decker's rankings with the nine best evaluators of talent I can find...

NFL.COM

Daniel Jeremiah (former pro scout)   31

Bucky Brooks     (former pro scout)   23

Charles Davis    (evaluator)              23

Lance Zierlein    (evaluator)             48     (lowest ranking)

Gil Brandt          (former Cowboys Exec)    19

ESPN.com

Mel Kiper         (evaluator)              24

Todd McShay   (evaluator)             17    (highest ranking)

Jeff Legwold    (evaluator)              21

CBS Sports

Group consensus  (evaluators)    22

And, just for the record,  and it's worth what you paid for it!  (Hint: zero!)

NCF      (amateur evaluator)  high 20's...  list out Sunday the 24th...   :peek:

7 hours ago, loudnproudcolt said:

Hey, the media cannot stop bashing our OL, and Decker will probably be the only LT the so called experts have high enough for us to take at our spot. God knows we could not follow a different path, like Spence or Joseph, and then get a guard in the second. Heck if I was in the media, I know I would be mocking us Ryan Kelly because he is very good, and a Center which we desperately need.

I look at this the way I do financial bubbles in the market. Yes I am a finance guy. Anytime I start to see

major magazines with covers touting something in the stock market, I know it is time to get out. That is almost always the signal for a top in whatever market it is. Almost always works.

So the way I look at it is the more Taylor Decker gets mocked to us, the less I believe it will happen. Information is counter intuitive many times, and you have to understand this in the media especially. When the Star went over all the mock drafts from all the big names, and Decker was the leader percentage wise going to us, I thought it was a good sign. If you tend not to think like the masses, it usually helps!

Taylor Decker is a pure right Tackle to me, I do not see him playing guard.  I put on the tape last night and watched him some and he is a good player to be honest. Moves pretty well in my estimation, but a pure tackle is not the kind of lineman we are looking for.  I'd actually be more down with taking somebody like Cody Whitehair if we did choose a lineman in the late first round on a tradeback.  This is assuming Jack Conklin is not available and we don't like any of the other athletes available at 18.

Whitehair can play multiple positions on the interior of the Offensive Line including center and he's a sound technician.  He's the kind of athlete you want for the interior of a Zone Blocking Scheme. He's also played some tackle, but I don't exactly like his height at 6'4" to play that position in the NFL. I like him better on the interior and maybe we can turn around and pick up Nick Martin or somebody else in the second round.

If Grigson goes the Taylor Decker route I think maybe you look at picking up Whitehair in the second round to play center and move Denzelle Good into the guard I guess. Or you would be looking at picking up Whitehair in the 2nd round, plus having to add a center like Seumalo and have Good be the backup guard or tackle.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Taylor Decker is a pure right Tackle to me, I do not see him playing guard.  I put on the tape last night and watched him some and he is a good player to be honest. Moves pretty well in my estimation, but a pure tackle is not the kind of lineman we are looking for.  I'd actually be more down with taking somebody like Cody Whitehair if we did choose a lineman in the late first round on a tradeback.  This is assuming Jack Conklin is not available and we don't like any of the other athletes available at 18.

Whitehair can play multiple positions on the interior of the Offensive Line including center and he's a sound technician.  He's the kind of athlete you want for the interior of a Zone Blocking Scheme. He's also played some tackle, but I don't exactly like his height at 6'4" to play that position in the NFL. I like him better on the interior and maybe we can turn around and pick up Nick Martin or somebody else in the second round.

If Grigson goes the Taylor Decker route I think maybe you look at picking up Whitehair in the second round to play center and move Denzelle Good into the guard I guess. Or you would be looking at picking up Whitehair in the 2nd round, plus having to add a center like Seumalo and have Good be the backup guard or tackle.

A guy you might want to check out that I hadn't watched until recently is Joe Thuney. I think he's pretty similar to Cody Whitehair. Both of those guys, I think could play center at the next level as well.

I agree that Decker is a right tackle all the way. Really, the only major concern I have is that he plays with such a high pad level. Although I saw an article on BR, he's working with LeCharles Bentley on fixing this very issue. If we did take Decker, I think I'd want us to slide Reitz in at RG. 

6 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

A guy you might want to check out that I hadn't watched until recently is Joe Thuney. I think he's pretty similar to Cody Whitehair. Both of those guys, I think could play center at the next level as well.

I agree that Decker is a right tackle all the way. Really, the only major concern I have is that he plays with such a high pad level. Although I saw an article on BR, he's working with LeCharles Bentley on fixing this very issue. If we did take Decker, I think I'd want us to slide Reitz in at RG. 

I'm opposite, I'd move Good into the guard and leave Reitz as the swing tackle.    Another guy I like that we worked out is Joe Dahl,  I think he's got some ability and he's rising on the draft board. 

12 hours ago, evilleseniorfan said:

30-40 points per game? 

Who knew that Taylor Decker was the missing piece for us to have the greatest offense of all time. 

I keep going back and looking at whatever clips I can of Good at right tackle and I think we'll be fine with him and Reitz there.  Good can handle it especially with more experience and refinement.  He moves pretty well and he's very strong.  If he gets his hands on you it's pretty much over for the most part.  He was doing what he did at 350lbs so I imagine he'll move even better if he trims down to the 315 to 325lb range.  We really do just need to shore up the interior of the line.  I would be really excited if we could get Jack Conklin, but I don't think it's likely.  However I do think Cody Whitehair would be a nice second option.

I think at the end of the day we'll end up with probably Whitehair and Seumalo on the interior.  2 extremely versatile interior linemen that can play every single position on the offensive line if they are asked to do so. Both of them can play Center, guard and tackle if we needed them to do so.  I haven't seen us with a whole lot of interaction on Whitehair, but I know we were at the K State pro day.  Seumalo is the only center I've seen us put through extensive workouts so I know there is a good level of interest.  He's not the only center we've looked at, but I think we've paid more attention to him than any of the others. 

If we draft Decker, I'm just assuming that means either Good or Reitz is our starting right guard.  It would be a waste to have 2 RTs and then draft another one.  Since Irsay actually mentioned that Good could play guard, that's what I think would happen.

14 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

I don't understand RT being a round 1 need. With Good and Reitz respectable at that position I'd rather go OC/OG in the draft. Kelly is the only one at 18 I'd take unless we trade down and take Whitehair

I wouldn't take either one of them at 18 but if I had to choose between the two I think I'd go Whitehair because of the versatility.  Kelly is just a center, albeit a pretty good one.