Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Predict THIS!!! What Position Will the Colts Go for With The 18th Pick?

WarGhost21

Colts Pick at 18th??  

95 members have voted

1. 1. What position will the Colts go for with the 18th pick in the draft?

• Pass Rusher (OLB/DE)
    • Defensive Back
    • Running Back
    • Wide Receiver/Tight End
    • Middle Linebacker
    • Defensive Tackle
    • Quarterback
    • O-Line
    • None, trade up
    • None, trade down

11 hours ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Yeah let's all get a stupid olb and hope Andrew luck does not get killed again

Ah, so the first round pick is the only pick that the Colts have in the draft.  Didn't realize our other picks were taken away.  Thanks for letting us know. :thmup:

23 hours ago, chad72 said:

I was alluding to the skill position philosophy (RB, WR or TE), should have made it clear - that would be Wayne, Gonzo for 2 times, Edge, Addai and Brown for 3 times, Dallas Clark once and one obvious Peyton Manning that we can remove from the discussion. 6 skill position players in round 1 listed above.

From 1999 to 2011, that is 12 drafts (no first round pick in 2004) - 6 skill position players plus 1 CB (Marlin Jackson), 2 DE (Freeney and Jerry Hughes), 1 LB (Rob Morris), 2 OTs (Ugoh and Castanzo).

So that is a disproportionate 50% emphasis on skill position players in round 1, IMO. That is the point I was trying to make. It was more important to keep that offensive cupboard replenished more than anything else, it felt like in Bill Polian's prioritization mindset.

Knowing that Castanzo pick was going to be a WR to replace Wayne peeved me along those lines. I hope it is clear now :)

Ugoh was a second round pick.    We gave up a 1st to get him in 08

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Ugoh was a second round pick.    We gave up a 1st to get him in 08

Yeah, I know that. He cost us a first round pick, so essentially he was a round 1 drafted player for us, IMO.

2004 first round pick, was it given up for Polian from the Panthers? Does anyone else know why we did not have it?

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, I know that. He cost us a first round pick, so essentially he was a round 1 drafted player for us, IMO.

2004 first round pick, was it given up for Polian from the Panthers? Does anyone else know why we did not have it?

Polian became the GM in indy in 1998.   So no,   it wasn't to the panthers.   The Colts traded back twice and picked up bob sanders

This'll be a tough year I think to judge because it seems teams might keep jumping up like the recent top teams that traded to the top of the draft.

I could see a run of teams jumping up because they're surprised someone is dropping.

Total guess for me would be top OLB then best DT available.

On 4/19/2016 at 8:15 AM, pgt_rob said:

Going to be an offensive linemen for sure. We've screwed around too much trying to get later round draft picks to work and it's not even close to cutting it. I'm sure Irsay has a grip on Grigson this time around to grab best possible offensive linemen at our pick.

How many offensive lineman start there rookie season ? I was under the impression it takes a couple of years to catch on . 

I go with someone who can get to the QB .

If Paxton Lynch is still on the board by the time we are #18, I think that a trade down is still possible.

I think we will grab best player available who is not a wide receiver/tight end/quarterback.

Hopefully, there the Floyd is still around or if not him then Ragland. But I would be happy with any impactful defensive player or O-lineman.

9 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

How many offensive lineman start there rookie season ? I was under the impression it takes a couple of years to catch on . 

I go with someone who can get to the QB .

According to Grigson, he doesn't want any rookie O-Linemen starting. But ask Jack Mewhort about that... lol. I would say any 1st or 2nd rounder should hopefully be considered starting talent.