Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Predict THIS!!! What Position Will the Colts Go for With The 18th Pick?

WarGhost21

Colts Pick at 18th??  

95 members have voted

1. 1. What position will the Colts go for with the 18th pick in the draft?

• Pass Rusher (OLB/DE)
    • Defensive Back
    • Running Back
    • Wide Receiver/Tight End
    • Middle Linebacker
    • Defensive Tackle
    • Quarterback
    • O-Line
    • None, trade up
    • None, trade down

Going to be an offensive linemen for sure. We've screwed around too much trying to get later round draft picks to work and it's not even close to cutting it. I'm sure Irsay has a grip on Grigson this time around to grab best possible offensive linemen at our pick.

What....no kicker?

Honestly its impossible to tell which way they might go because we can't tell how the draft will fall ahead of them. I'd imagine they have inside OL and LB (middle and rush) very high on their needs list. Whether one is taken over the other is likely based on who is on the board left.

One big miss in round 1 and you are scrambling forever for their replacement if they turn out to be a bust. Apparently, Mike Chappell was on 1070 The Fan radio on the Dan Dakich show and he talked with Peyton a while ago. Anthony Castanzo's pick was supposed to be a wideout that replaced Reggie but since they missed on Ugoh, they had to get the left tackle. Fast forward a few years, we miss on Werner and our best pass rusher is a 35 year old Mathis.

I had a couple of problems with that - the NaPolian way of thinking (drafting wideouts in round 1) was in full play referring to that decision in hindsight. Plus, having drafted TY and Moncrief in rounds 3 and the Steelers trio of wideouts all being drafted in rounds 3 or later, I am not second guessing NaPolian's departure one bit (but then we pull this Dorsett stuff last year). But then, Grigson not getting good production out of our first round picks is a trend that has to be bucked (outside the obvious Luck pick).

My hope, other than finding a good trade partner, is that Lawson or Rankins can somehow fall to us...

Id like Floyd, Spence, Kelly, Ogbah, Billings, Jackson III, or Decker, but only if we could get one of them later (like early 2nd round) and pick up a mid-round pick in the process... 

The more I study the players in this draft, the more I realize that there are only 10-15 players that would be considered in the first round in most drafts, but there are 100 guys that should be good picks in the 2nd or 3rd. I've seen multiple mocks where Correa lasts until our third pick, same with Hargrave, J. Mills, Martin and A. Burns... Of all the things that could happen on draft day, picking up an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick would be tops on my wish list... assuming we use it wisely. 

If we get stuck at 18, its just a matter of who falls... We know that at least 2 QBs will go in the top 5.

11 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I really couldn't be mad if we drafted a legit center.

I don't see how anyone could be angered by taking a center. Sure there are other needs, but they really need to get serious about protecting Mr. Luck. The O-line should be a priority, then defense. We'll always have a chance if Luck stays upright, but if he goes down, the Colts go down even if the D is pretty good.

9 hours ago, chad72 said:

But then, Grigson not getting good production out of our first round picks is a trend that has to be bucked (outside the obvious Luck pick).

Yes, he is silly with it.

9 hours ago, chad72 said:

(but then we pull this Dorsett stuff last year).

And this is why I chose Defensive Back.  More specifically a physical corner like Eli Apple might be right up Pagano's alley.  In order to avoid the emotion of utter disbelief I will firmly expect the unexpected moving forward.  

On 4/19/2016 at 1:45 PM, chad72 said:

One big miss in round 1 and you are scrambling forever for their replacement if they turn out to be a bust. Apparently, Mike Chappell was on 1070 The Fan radio on the Dan Dakich show and he talked with Peyton a while ago. Anthony Castanzo's pick was supposed to be a wideout that replaced Reggie but since they missed on Ugoh, they had to get the left tackle. Fast forward a few years, we miss on Werner and our best pass rusher is a 35 year old Mathis.

I had a couple of problems with that - the NaPolian way of thinking (drafting wideouts in round 1) was in full play referring to that decision in hindsight. Plus, having drafted TY and Moncrief in rounds 3 and the Steelers trio of wideouts all being drafted in rounds 3 or later, I am not second guessing NaPolian's departure one bit (but then we pull this Dorsett stuff last year). But then, Grigson not getting good production out of our first round picks is a trend that has to be bucked (outside the obvious Luck pick).

BILL Polian drafted a WR in the 1st round just twice.

44 minutes ago, masterlock said:

BILL Polian drafted a WR in the 1st round just twice.

I was alluding to the skill position philosophy (RB, WR or TE), should have made it clear - that would be Wayne, Gonzo for 2 times, Edge, Addai and Brown for 3 times, Dallas Clark once and one obvious Peyton Manning that we can remove from the discussion. 6 skill position players in round 1 listed above.

From 1999 to 2011, that is 12 drafts (no first round pick in 2004) - 6 skill position players plus 1 CB (Marlin Jackson), 2 DE (Freeney and Jerry Hughes), 1 LB (Rob Morris), 2 OTs (Ugoh and Castanzo).

So that is a disproportionate 50% emphasis on skill position players in round 1, IMO. That is the point I was trying to make. It was more important to keep that offensive cupboard replenished more than anything else, it felt like in Bill Polian's prioritization mindset.

Knowing that Castanzo pick was going to be a WR to replace Wayne peeved me along those lines. I hope it is clear now :)

I think it's going to be Ragland.  I think Grigs is going to give Pagano his toys, and take D in three of the first four picks, maybe four of five.  In a division with Murray, Ivory, and Miller to defend twice a season, and the 29th, 26th, 18th, and 25th ranking against the run in Pag's time here (not to mention the playoff loss results allowed on the ground), we see up the middle D taken. 

The more I read about our upcoming draft from all the various sources and sites and the more I see of him on film the more I think our 1st pick is going to be Cody Whitehair.  He seems so versatile and is so highly rated that I can see him being high on our board where he also fits a huge need.  I think Grigson has to hit on this draft and I think this would also be a safe pick for us. 

I picked O Line but it its Ryan Kelly. We need a QB for the O line that Luck can pair with the next 10 years. However I could also see is trading out of 18 if there are several players that can help this team still on the board. i do get a feeling Kelly may fall to the early or middle of the 2nd round

11 hours ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Yeah let's all get a stupid olb and hope Andrew luck does not get killed again

Ah, so the first round pick is the only pick that the Colts have in the draft.  Didn't realize our other picks were taken away.  Thanks for letting us know. :thmup: