Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Archer's (Probably) Final 2016 Colt Mock

1) Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky.  It’s been noted that the 15th player on this year’s draft board is the same quality player as the 45th.  Most of the prospects in that range could be mid- to late-1sts all the way down to our pick in the 2nd.  So, what do we do with that?  The great answer would be “trade down”, but if everyone feels this same way, there will be a serious lack of trade partners.  So, feeling like C and OLB should be the first two picks (in either order), I’ve got to figure out which is the preferable strategy.  (Okay, we need bodies/upgrades at OG and S as well, but I’m going to push those off to later rounds.)  In the end, it’s my belief that Ryan Kelly is a little over-rated and would not give good value at #18 that leads me to Spence.  I’m not too concerned about Spence’s former Ecstasy problems, and his 2015 arrest was for nothing troubling.  I’m willing to take the best remaining pass-rusher at #18, despite his poor performance in underwear in February.  His stellar Senior Bowl week performance trumps that.

2) Nick Martin, C, Notre Dame.  I’m having a minor crisis at this pick, as I’ve fallen hopelessy in love with Justin Simmons, S, Boston College.  The only thing that prevents it from being a major crisis is the knowledge that I’m not actually the Colts’ GM and my opinion doesn’t mean spit!  At any rate, I have safeties I like later in the draft and I project someone else taking Simmons before we pick in the 3rd.  As far as Centers go, I only focused on Martin and Kelly for one game each this last year – both players’ final bowl games.  Both played formidable opponents – Martin played Ohio St. and Kelly played Clemson.  Bottom line is that both looked good at pass pro, and Martin dominated as a run blocker as well.  But Kelly looked useless as a run-blocker.  That’s only a two-game observation (and Kelly was against that Clemson front seven), and  scouting reports often say the opposite.  But, I came out really liking Martin’s style of play.  He’s very aggressive in the run blocking, even if he lacks the strength to push pros around like that.  Scouting reports rave about Martin’s leadership and football IQ.  I think Martin is the Grigsonian pick and the more gung-ho and harder working lineman.  (Just my guess on that last part, though.)

3) Sean Davis, S, Maryland.  Hard to guess which safeties Grigson will like, but Davis brings a coverage resume to the table.  Running a 4.46 forty, putting up 21 bench press reps, and having very good shuttles/cones makes Davis my Simmons consolation prize.  I'd feel a little like Joseph P. Kennedy did when Joe Jr. died, having to settle for Jack as the family's political future.  Hopefully, the parallel ends there and Davis doesn't become one of the worst safeties in the league's history.  Anywho, Davis hits like a truck, but has some man-to-man coverage flaws (as most safeties do).  He has future starter at the coverage safety position written all over him to me, though many project him as a Seattle-style CB. 

4) Joe Haeg, OL, North Dakota St.  When Grigson wants an OG, he drafts an OT.  Haeg can actually be that four-position back-up that improves the line’s resilience to injuries.  I kind of envision his floor as a swing tackle developing behind Costanzo on the left side, with his ceiling being the new RG starter (if not this year, then next year when Thornton is a FA).  His athleticism makes him a pretty good fit with the new zone blocking concepts we’re supposedly implementing.  Heenan’s retirement makes me thinking that the OL depth pick might be elevated to the 3rd due to a declining number of possibilities on the roster, but I held off in order to add one of my preferred safeties.  If Haeg is gone, I’m looking at names like Thuney (another of my favorite sleepers) and Seumalo.

5) Tyrone Holmes, OLB, Montana.  From pure athletic stats at his Pro Day and the Combine, he would be a superior athlete to Spence, with better forty, shuttles, and vertical.  He also had 18 sacks this last year, showing he dominated at a low level of competition.  Virtually the same size and shape as Spence, Holmes would be a Jonathan Newsome-like 5th rounder with explosion as a pass-rusher and the possible ability to play SAM.  We need multiple young OLBs to develop behind the old men on the roster.

7) Darion Griswold, TE, Arkansas St.  Maybe the hills are just alive with the sound of Griswold, but I really like the idea of this guy in the 7th.  I like Doyle, but he’ll be a FA after this year, and we should add TEs whenever we find a good value.  This guy’s athleticism in the 7th represents such value. 

UCFAs (In order of priority)

Clay DeBord, OT, Eastern Washington.  Good ole boy who has worked hard and is tough as nails.  Pagano would spew something about “grit”.  Kid thought he was headed to trade school to be a welder, but then he was offered a late scholarship after some kind of skills camp.  He spent a year getting academically eligible, and the rest is history. 

Jamie Byrd, S, South Florida.  Converted CB who’s been frantically trying to add weight.  I think he’s up to 189 lbs.  Obviously, he’s a coverage type, but he’s a very good tackler (though not overly physical).

Tyler Johnstone, OT, Oregon.  Another shot at a swing tackle behind Costanzo.  The guy is a walking injury, but has the athleticism of an early pick.  UCFAs are the definition of a low investment, and no one is going to draft him with his past injury problems.  Having drafted no true OTs and wanting a swing tackle, that position is obviously the target of my UCFA scramble.  One look at the Colts’ roster, combined with the team’s reputation for UCFA egalitarianism, will help us land these prospects.

O.J. Mau, NT, Garner-Webb.  Small-school guy I fell in love with who gathered no pre-draft buzz.  Very high motor.

Dwayne Washington, RB, U-Dub.  Another walking injury.  He would have been high draft pick if he could have stayed healthy for any stretch.  The type of talented long-shot that could have a big season if he stays healthy.

Jakeem Grant, WR, Texas Tech.  We may like this smurf, and he’s landable without making him a top target.

Sean McEwen, C, Calgary.  We lead the league in Canadians every year!  Looking forward to the final 53-man roster, I think we may end up with Harrison cross-training at LG to make the team.  Having another C on the PS could help us fill out a 2nd team OL.  I’m way overthinking, I know!

Christian French, OLB, Oregon.  6’5, 249, 4.75 forty, 4.30 short shuttle, 33” vertical.  What’s not to like in him as an UCFA?

Raphael Kirby, ILB, Miami.  He’s named after my son’s 2nd favorite Ninja Turtle, so I have to sign him unless I find a prospect named Donatello Jones (which sounds like the protagonist in a blacksploitation film)!