Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Titans trade #1 pick

SilentHill

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, MPStack said:

Absolutely correct! The Titans could very well draft some duds from that bounty of picks. The Rams have a great defense and arguably one of the top young backs in the league. Now they`re in a position to draft a possible franchise QB, who shouldn`t have a lot of pressure on them early.

That's taking for granted that Jeff Fisher can coach. So far he has shown that his teams play with no discipline and shoot themselves in the foot more often than not.

25 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

A solid QB is all it takes to turn a team around. If Wentz pans out Rams are gonna be contenders for a while.

In case you haven't noticed,  Tennessee ALREADY HAS it's QB.    They needed pieces around him.    A lot more pieces than they currently have.     And now they have 1's and 2's and 3's for  the next two years.    Tennessee did just fine.

This is a win-win for both sides.

27 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

A solid QB is all it takes to turn a team around. If Wentz pans out Rams are gonna be contenders for a while.

Define "pans out".     "If" is the biggest word in the dictionary.    All teams would be better "if" their draft picks were all good

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Jeff Fisher is the definition of mediocrity IMO. Just saying.:D

1 minute ago, PeterBowman said:

I saw this comment on Stampede Blue and it rings true.

Jeff Fisher is finally pointing the Titans in the right direction.

Wow.....      just.......    wow....

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinions.....     that's why someone invented internet fan message boards.....

Holy cow.....           :peek:

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wow.....      just.......    wow....

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinions.....     that's why someone invented internet fan message boards.....

Holy cow.....           :peek:

With Fishers past I don't even understand how he even has a job. If the Colts had a coach with his type of record over the last 20 years this forum would go completely crazy. It got that way with one losing season let alone years in a row. The Rams may very well turn things around but I will have to see it before changing my opinion.

12 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

They continue to roll with Jeff Fisher.  And this trade was a huge win for the Titans.  I think the Titans robbed the Rams here

Let's accept all of that as true. The Rams did this because the want to make sure they get their QB. This move does not fall into the category of 'aiming for mediocrity.' They're shooting as high as they can right now, after having bad QBing for whoever long it's been. This is how you get your guy.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Let's accept all of that as true. The Rams did this because the want to make sure they get their QB. This move does not fall into the category of 'aiming for mediocrity.' They're shooting as high as they can right now, after having bad QBing for whoever long it's been. This is how you get your guy.

Yes, but I think they gave up too much.  I don't think they have a complete enough team to compete with the Seahawks and Cardinals in that division.  I can fully appreciate getting your guy at QB, especially if they've fallen in love with Goff or Wentz.  They're shooting for their guy, but I think there's a limit as to how much you give up for him.  If there were another Andrew Luck in this draft, then sure.  But in this case, I think the Rams gave up way too much

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

I bet the 9ers are the most upset at this point.    They could have probably drafted Goff if the Rams didn't jump up

4 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Yes, but I think they gave up too much.  I don't think they have a complete enough team to compete with the Seahawks and Cardinals in that division.  I can fully appreciate getting your guy at QB, especially if they've fallen in love with Goff or Wentz.  They're shooting for their guy, but I think there's a limit as to how much you give up for him.  If there were another Andrew Luck in this draft, then sure.  But in this case, I think the Rams gave up way too much

What's incomplete about the Rams other than their WR corps and QB which just potentially got fixed?

7 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

AZ/SEA are still in charge. But Arizona is taking a step back as Palmer declines, or if he gets hurt again. Seattle has already had to make sacrifices to stay under the cap, and we saw how they were affected last season. Any slippage, and the Rams could benefit.

But really, this move is for the future, not the next two years. They have to develop the young QB, get him a couple weapons, and let him learn the game. Sure, they'll say that they want to win the SB right away, but what they really want is to move into their shiny new stadium in 2019 with a potential contender and a franchise QB. This gives them a chance to either have that QB, or to reset before then if their guy doesn't pan out. 

They take their perennial 7-9 / 8-8 roster and add a promising young QB. The rest can figure itself out, and that includes changing the coach and/or GM if necessary, which will happen if this move doesn't work out. 

Edit: The alternative is to bottom out like the Colts did, or get lucky like the Seahawks did. Can't control either of those things; they can control this.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

What's incomplete about the Rams other than their WR corps and QB which just potentially got fixed?

I don't follow the Rams too much, but I've heard they have OL problems.  Let's assume QB is solved now, so I won't mention that.  WR needs depth.  They also lost a few pieces from their secondary.  I look at their roster and it doesn't look like it can compete with Seattle and Arizona, let alone the other elite teams in the NFC.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

AZ/SEA are still in charge. But Arizona is taking a step back as Palmer declines, or if he gets hurt again. Seattle has already had to make sacrifices to stay under the cap, and we saw how they were affected last season. Any slippage, and the Rams could benefit.

But really, this move is for the future, not the next two years. They have to develop the young QB, get him a couple weapons, and let him learn the game. Sure, they'll say that they want to win the SB right away, but what they really want is to move into their shiny new stadium in 2019 with a potential contender and a franchise QB. This gives them a chance to either have that QB, or to reset before then if their guy doesn't pan out. 

They take their perennial 7-9 / 8-8 roster and add a promising young QB. The rest can figure itself out, and that includes changing the coach and/or GM if necessary, which will happen if this move doesn't work out. 

Edit: The alternative is to bottom out like the Colts did, or get lucky like the Seahawks did. Can't control either of those things; they can control this.

Fair points.  If you're convinced a certain prospect is the guy for your team, I can understand and appreciate making a move to go get him.  With that said, I still think they gave up too much.

I think this helps the Colts if they are looking to trade back. The Rams wont be there at 15 anymore to potentially take Treadwell or Lynch so the Colts could be a prime trade down contender if someone wants to jump Houston for a WR or jump Buffalo and the Jets potentially for Lynch as I don't think they will be taken before that. 

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I don't follow the Rams too much, but I've heard they have OL problems.  Let's assume QB is solved now, so I won't mention that.  WR needs depth.  They also lost a few pieces from their secondary.  I look at their roster and it doesn't look like it can compete with Seattle and Arizona, let alone the other elite teams in the NFC.

Fair points.  If you're convinced a certain prospect is the guy for your team, I can understand and appreciate making a move to go get him.  With that said, I still think they gave up too much.

I think some of that perception may be because you aren't that familiar with who is good on their roster.  They have existing young players on the roster who can step in for Janoris Jenkins and play well.  Plus they still have picks in this years draft that will mainly go to the offensive side of the football.  Plus there's going to be any number of guys that get let go after the draft that they can acquire.  The Seahawks have been barely beating the Rams before any of these moves were made. Matter of fact the Rams beat the Hawks last year.  I believe it was a clean sweep at that .

47 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

With Fishers past I don't even understand how he even has a job. If the Colts had a coach with his type of record over the last 20 years this forum would go completely crazy. It got that way with one losing season let alone years in a row. The Rams may very well turn things around but I will have to see it before changing my opinion.

Let me see if I can put it this way......

The Rams have struggled not because of Jeff Fisher,  but because they couldn't get the QB position right.

Bradford was always hurt.      But they've really built a terrific roster.     The Colts would KILL to have the Rams roster.      And now,  they're going to have their QB.     It will take Went or Goff a few years to figure things out,  but they've got time.    The Rams don't go into their new stadium until 2019.      If the QB is doing good,  then Fisher will be their QB.      If not,  then Fisher will get fired and someone else will be brought in to make it right.

That said,  the Rams also play in perhaps the toughest division in football.    If the Colts had been playing with Seattle, San Francisco and Arizona,   I don't think we'd have gone 11-5,  11-5,  11-5 and 8-8.

Yeah the Rams are basically the Seahawks pre-Russell Wilson. The Seahawks have been competitive with a completely average receiver core, so the Rams could do the same. The Hawks are vulnerable without Lynch and Gurley is young. A QB might be enough to push them over the hurdle and compete for 2nd place in the NFC West which is probably enough for a Wildcard spot based on the past 3 years. 

Goff or Wentz might be enough. Plus a winning season is exactly what they need to drum up excitement about an LA Football team.

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

They continue to roll with Jeff Fisher.  And this trade was a huge win for the Titans.  I think the Titans robbed the Rams here

I think it was a great trade for both sides.

What each does with it from here will define it.

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I don't understand how they gave up too much.  They only gave up top 100 players of this draft and their 1st and 3rd of next.  After that they have given up nothing.  Many are comparing this to the RG3 trade when it isn't even close.  Rams did it the smart way.  They have an established roster all they need is a QB.  If they get even 20% more production from the QB spot than last year they will be a 9-11 win team.  That alone is worth.

And they only have to give up 2 years of draft talent (they still have a 2nd next year and whatever comp picks they get).  To me this is how you go and get your guy.  Regardless if they bomb out or not. 

Then the flip side everyone is praising the Titans but they could end up drafting Spence/Nkemdiche and Jaylon Smith and have all 3 out of the league by their 3rd year...  Just wait and see lol....

This is not better than the RGIII trade! That was for switching from 6 to 2 and they switched draft picks, gave up a second rounder that year and first rounders for the following two years. First round draft picks are far more valuable.

Six picks is great in the first 3 rounds, but they would have still had their 3, and by going down to 15 they lose one of the 4-5 true impact players or what we think who will be. They say they hope Conklin will drop to them, but I think he will be gone.

Also, lets not anoint them yet. The Rams got that huge haul from Washington, and yes they built a defense, but did it help them in the long run? Not really!

Cleveland has traded out of its top 10 picks repeatedly and had multiple number 1 picks the last couple years it seems, and has it helped? Well Cleveland may be its own category.

They needed Tunsil to protect Mariota. He is already injury prone. The key for the Titans is Mariota. If he works out, the picks will really elevate them. If he does not, then the picks help, but you still need a franchise QB, and I think he is a little fragile. The should have traded down to #8 at most and then still would have gotten Stanley or Conklin! JMHO!!

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If the Titans had Jimmy Johnson I would be worried, they don't.

True, they don't have JJ, but he didn't accomplish much in Miami without those picks. Just saying, the titans have set them up nicely, if the right picks are made.

24 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

I don't understand how they gave up too much.  They only gave up top 100 players of this draft and their 1st and 3rd of next.  After that they have given up nothing.  Many are comparing this to the RG3 trade when it isn't even close.  Rams did it the smart way.  They have an established roster all they need is a QB.  If they get even 20% more production from the QB spot than last year they will be a 9-11 win team.  That alone is worth.

And they only have to give up 2 years of draft talent (they still have a 2nd next year and whatever comp picks they get).  To me this is how you go and get your guy.  Regardless if they bomb out or not. 

Then the flip side everyone is praising the Titans but they could end up drafting Spence/Nkemdiche and Jaylon Smith and have all 3 out of the league by their 3rd year...  Just wait and see lol....

Agree completely! The key is going to be for the Rams if Wentz is worth the price. We won't know for awhile. Tenn. got a lot, but not nearly like the RGIII trade. My only thing I like about this, is depending on Smith's medical, I would use those two early number 2's to get Smith if his medical comes back clean. Then they get a true impact player, but this does not compare to RGIII and what Washington gave up to move up only 4 spots!

34 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

This is not better than the RGIII trade! That was for switching from 6 to 2 and they switched draft picks, gave up a second rounder that year and first rounders for the following two years. First round draft picks are far more valuable.

Six picks is great in the first 3 rounds, but they would have still had their 3, and by going down to 15 they lose one of the 4-5 true impact players or what we think who will be. They say they hope Conklin will drop to them, but I think he will be gone.

Also, lets not anoint them yet. The Rams got that huge haul from Washington, and yes they built a defense, but did it help them in the long run? Not really!

Cleveland has traded out of its top 10 picks repeatedly and had multiple number 1 picks the last couple years it seems, and has it helped? Well Cleveland may be its own category.

They needed Tunsil to protect Mariota. He is already injury prone. The key for the Titans is Mariota. If he works out, the picks will really elevate them. If he does not, then the picks help, but you still need a franchise QB, and I think he is a little fragile. The should have traded down to #8 at most and then still would have gotten Stanley or Conklin! JMHO!!

It's pretty even with the RG3 trade. 3 years of firsts and a 2nd compared to 2 firsts, 2nds and 3rds.

The Rams built a very good team outside of QB, but the Titans already have a QB.  

Their GM is known as a great talent evaluator. The Browns are known to be terrible drafters. Can't compare the two. 

2 hours ago, buccolts said:

I think it was a great trade for both sides.

What each does with it from here will define it.

Yep. The Rams get to choose their guy and the Titans get to fill out their roster with young, impact players. Both teams benefit.

10 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Yep. The Rams get to choose their guy and the Titans get to fill out their roster with young, impact players. Both teams benefit.

What's interesting is when the Rams made their deal to get all of their picks from the Skins what good has it done them? They haven't made the Playoffs so who's to say the Titans will do anything with their picks? Mariota I think will be Good but he wont be Andrew Luck good ever IMO. They need major help with their O.Line and Defense. If they whiff on most of these picks they will always hover around .500.

Rams record since obtaining tons of picks from the Skins

2012- 7-8-1

2013 - 7-9

2014 - 6-10

2015 - 7-9

-RG3 didn't workout either in Washington, that was a disaster. Who's to say this trade will work for either team? Rams got all of those picks like the Titans now and haven't even finished .500 once since the deal.

3 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

ESPN says Rams are looking more into Goff, but could potentially look back to Wentz. Of course that means nothing, but I think most are thinking they take Wentz? Browns will take whoever is left I'm sure.

Mike Mayock says there's little doubt to him that the Rams are going after Wentz.

30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What's interesting is when the Rams made their deal to get all of their picks from the Skins what good has it done them? They haven't made the Playoffs so who's to say the Titans will do anything with their picks? Mariota I think will be Good but he wont be Andrew Luck good ever IMO. They need major help with their O.Line and Defense. If they whiff on most of these picks they will always hover around .500.

What has it done them?  How about a roster full enough that they were comfortable going without their high draft picks for a couple of years. 

7 minutes ago, wig said:

What has it done them?  How about a roster full enough that they were comfortable going without their high draft picks for a couple of years. 

They haven't been any good for 4 years now since the trade so it hasn't benefited them at all. Heck, we go 8-8 and people want to jump off a cliff. Imagine the Colts having all of those Draft picks and having seasons of 7-8-1, 7-9, 6-10, and 7-9. Until they make the Playoffs it hasn't done them any good at all. By now they should've been an 11 win team and in the Playoffs with the amount of picks they have had. My point is, this trade doesn't guarantee the Titans will be a Playoff team either in years to come. We will see.