Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Official Colts Forum 2016 Mock Draft - Proposed Rule Changes

This thread has been opened up to discuss the rule changes.  I've gathered up the rules (merged some that were similar) and I'll put them below.  I think that we should have a period where we can make suggestions to the rules which will begin now and run for a period of 24 hours - 12pm on 4/14.  This should give everyone a chance to weigh in with any proposed changes to the rule proposals.  Then we can have another 24 hour period where votes can be cast.  

Since the proposals have the effect of reducing the window of time to make a selection, if you think that you may not be able to make the time and you think there's a good chance you will be on the clock and miss the chance to draft, you may send a Private Message at any time to the Draft Moderator, @stitches.  You can send this list to another GM if you believe in your best interest, but make sure it's someone who is generally very active on these forums so it gets in) and include a list of selections in order of preference.  Other GMs who I believe are trustworthy in this regard - @Dustin, @Superman, @jvan1973, @21isSuperman, @Defjamz26  or myself.  So for example, if you are 10th in the 2nd round, and you think there's a reasonable chance that you may not be able to make it to your pick in time, submit 10 prospects in order of preference so that when your time is up, if you haven't been able to log in and draft, you can be ensured that you will get at least one of the guys you wanted

Rule Proposals

1) Window of time to make draft selections shall be 12 hours for selections in the 1st round, 6 hours for selections in the 2nd round and 4 hours for selections in rounds 3 and 4.  The daily tolling period from 12am to 8am remains unchanged.  

2) For rounds 2 through 4, the window of time to make selections shall be 6 hours.  No changes to the 12 hour period for 1st round picks.  The daily tolling period from 12am to 8am remains unchanged.

3) For rounds 2 through 4, the window of time to make selections shall be 4 hours.  No changes to the 12 hour period for 1st round picks.  The daily tolling period from 12am to 8am remains unchanged.

4) For rounds 2 through 4, the window of time to make selections shall be 6 hours.  In an effort to continue the pace of the draft and not utilize the maximum amount of time per each pick, a GM who has sent trade offers to other GMs will conduct themselves under an honor policy such that any trade offer sent and not responded to within one hour shall be deemed rejected (and no second offer may be sent to that same GM to start another one hour period); this honor system shall not apply to GMs who are actively negotiating an offer.  If all offers have been rejected or deemed rejected under these rules, the GM on the clock will then make a selection in the best interest of progressing the draft.   No changes to the 12 hour period for 1st round picks.  The daily tolling period from 12am to 8am remains unchanged.

5) No changes to the Rules.

For any proposal below, if you think that you may not be able to make the time and you think there's a good chance you will be on the clock and miss the chance to draft, you may send a Private Message at any time to the Draft Moderator, @stitches, (or another GM if you believe in your best interest, but make sure it's someone who is generally very active on these forums so it gets in) and include a list of selections in order of preference.

Changes to the Proposals

Changes to proposals or new proposals may be made starting at 12pm on 4/13/16 and will end on 4/14/16.  If any person wishes to make a change to the proposal or a new proposal altogether, please type them here.  To the extent that it is unique from the other proposals, I'll include it as a new proposal.  If it modifies an existing proposal, the GMs should discuss how or why that modification should be made and if in the best interest of the draft - with an eye towards a majority rules - I will make the modification.

Voting Period 

The voting period begins at 12:00pm on 4/14/16 and will last through 4/15/16.  A new thread will be started at such time.  Please cast your votes and the proposal with the most votes shall be the rule change effective after the voting period ends.  I or the Draft Moderator, whoever can get to it first, will then tally the votes and post the results.  Please cast only one vote and do not redact and recast your vote to make it as easy as possible to count the votes correctly.

In regards to #5, I think we should use the original proposal off going off the big board as a last resort. If said person on the clock has not PM'd anyone with picks then we just give them the highest rated player on the board.

Also, I think we should be able to enact the contingency plans early if the person has shown no activity  once there's 2 hours left. For example. If the person who has Dallas in round 2 hasn't PM'd, posted on the selection topic, or shown any other type of activity and 4 hours have already past, then we go to whatever contingency plan is in effect.

The full time limits should only be given to those who at least show some activity. If someone posts and at least says "Hey I get off work at X time and I'll make my pick them" or they've PMd someone saying "Pick X player for me If I don't post by X", then give them the full time. 

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

In regards to #5, I think we should use the original proposal off going off the big board as a last resort. If said person on the clock has not PM'd anyone with picks then we just give them the highest rated player on the board.

Also, I think we should be able to enact the contingency plans early if the person has shown no activity  once there's 2 hours left. For example. If the person who has Dallas in round 2 hasn't PM'd, posted on the selection topic, or shown any other type of activity and 4 hours have already past, then we go to whatever contingency plan is in effect.

The full time limits should only be given to those who at least show some activity. If someone posts and at least says "Hey I get off work at X time and I'll make my pick them" or they've PMd someone saying "Pick X player for me If I don't post by X", then give them the full time. 

I think the big board is already the rule.  The player sending a list of prospects in a PM would simply override that.  

I like the idea for the contingency plan - In fact I would change proposal #3 and just make that the proposal.  At least the opportunity for the 4 hour pick is preserved, but I'd be willing to give an additional 2 hours to anyone who's actually working on draft picks and figuring out who they want.  A quick post "hey, I'm here, trying to figure out who I want" goes a long way with me, because I know the pick is coming.  I'm not gonna quash anyone trying to actually learn about prospects and why they want someone.

I think we should have the original 12 hours for picks 1-16 (About 1/2 of the 1st round) and bump it down to 6 hours for the rest of the 1st round and the 2nd round, then 4 hours for the 3rd and 4th round (if we go to 4), and 2 hours if we continue after that! It seems much smoother this way!

I vote for #2. That time frame is reasonable.

I don't want to have anything to do with anyone else's picks, and I really don't want other people determining my picks either. So I don't want the rest of the drafters to make a consensus pick on my behalf.

I also don't want to send my preferred picks to anyone else, unless it's an neutral third party who is not involved in this draft. Not that I don't think we can all be honest, but I think my decisions would at least be influenced if I knew someone else's preferences. It might affect my accepting or rejecting a trade offer, for instance. Not on purpose, but I don't see how it's possible to know something and not let it affect your decision making. And I don't think it would be fair to everyone for just a couple people to know what another drafter is thinking.

The rules stitches set up when we started were that we'd use the Fanspeak big board if someone misses their pick. I don't necessarily agree with their board, but if I miss my pick, I'm fine with sticking to that rule. If someone drops out after a couple days, I'm fine with using that board to make their pick, unless someone else takes over. 

One more thing, I think if anyone is starting to realize that they don't really want to stay in this draft, maybe they're busier than they expected, or they lost interest or whatever, then feel free to drop out. We can go chalk for those picks. No pressure one way or the other, but I was surprised we got 32 people for this to begin with.

All JMO

How about this - partial rule change - the people who really do need the 12 hours(different time zones, weird working schedules, whatever it is), get to keep their 12 hours, they just need to state that here, for everybody else, the time is shortened to ??? hours in the second and third round?

In general I don't mind a rule change as long as everybody is up for it, I just don't want to screw up people who have signed up because they thought they can manage the mock if they had 12 hours but couldn't do it if the time was 6 or 4 hours. People have lives, kids, jobs... it's kind of unfair to force them to neglect that for this mock.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

How about this - partial rule change - the people who really do need the 12 hours(different time zones, weird working schedules, whatever it is), get to keep their 12 hours, they just need to state that here, for everybody else, the time is shortened to ??? hours in the second and third round?

That may be difficult to accomplish (and keep track of for that matter).  

I'm cool with the big board with one exception.    Let's say the team drafted a QB, te, LTD etc in the first round and the next round that same position is best player available,   we shouldn't pick that position.   So the second or maybe third option would be better

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I vote for #2. That time frame is reasonable.

I don't want to have anything to do with anyone else's picks, and I really don't want other people determining my picks either. So I don't want the rest of the drafters to make a consensus pick on my behalf.

I also don't want to send my preferred picks to anyone else, unless it's an neutral third party who is not involved in this draft. Not that I don't think we can all be honest, but I think my decisions would at least be influenced if I knew someone else's preferences. It might affect my accepting or rejecting a trade offer, for instance. Not on purpose, but I don't see how it's possible to know something and not let it affect your decision making. And I don't think it would be fair to everyone for just a couple people to know what another drafter is thinking.

The rules stitches set up when we started were that we'd use the Fanspeak big board if someone misses their pick. I don't necessarily agree with their board, but if I miss my pick, I'm fine with sticking to that rule. If someone drops out after a couple days, I'm fine with using that board to make their pick, unless someone else takes over. 

One more thing, I think if anyone is starting to realize that they don't really want to stay in this draft, maybe they're busier than they expected, or they lost interest or whatever, then feel free to drop out. We can go chalk for those picks. No pressure one way or the other, but I was surprised we got 32 people for this to begin with.

All JMO

Well, the point behind sending your list is to ensure you get your guy.  I think we all have our own draft boards and you would theoretically stick to your big board.  The only time it becomes a problem is when its your pick, andyou have Player X as your highest prospect, but instead, pick Player Y who is the 5th player on your list because it was ranked higher on the other GM's big board.  Just my opinion.But if you wouldn't want to receive them, we can take you off the list of GMs who don't want to be responsible for them.  No big deal.  I think the goal is that people get the guys they want, but due to personal life can't make the 6 hour (or even 12 hour) window to participate.  

I can no longer edit the post, so I am adding Defjams proposal as Proposal #6.

Rule Proposals

1) Window of time to make draft selections shall be 12 hours for selections in the 1st round, 6 hours for selections in the 2nd round and 4 hours for selections in rounds 3 and 4.  The daily tolling period from 12am to 8am remains unchanged.  

2) For rounds 2 through 4, the window of time to make selections shall be 6 hours.  No changes to the 12 hour period for 1st round picks.  The daily tolling period from 12am to 8am remains unchanged.

3) For rounds 2 through 4, the window of time to make selections shall be 4 hours.  No changes to the 12 hour period for 1st round picks.  The daily tolling period from 12am to 8am remains unchanged.

4) For rounds 2 through 4, the window of time to make selections shall be 6 hours.  In an effort to continue the pace of the draft and not utilize the maximum amount of time per each pick, a GM who has sent trade offers to other GMs will conduct themselves under an honor policy such that any trade offer sent and not responded to within one hour shall be deemed rejected (and no second offer may be sent to that same GM to start another one hour period); this honor system shall not apply to GMs who are actively negotiating an offer.  If all offers have been rejected or deemed rejected under these rules, the GM on the clock will then make a selection in the best interest of progressing the draft.   No changes to the 12 hour period for 1st round picks.  The daily tolling period from 12am to 8am remains unchanged.

5) No changes to the Rules.

6) For rounds 2 through 4, the window of time to make selections shall be 6 hours; provided however, for any GM who has not been active on the threads for the 12 preceding hours before that GM is on the clock, then such GM has 4 hours to make a selection.  In this latter scenario, the 4 hour window will cease and the GM get the full 6 hours to make a selection if the GM logs on before the 4 hour period expires and indicates that a selection will forthcoming.  At the end of the 4 or 6 hour period, such as the case may be, and no selection has been made, the GM will be deemed to have selected the highest rated player available on the big board posted in the main draft thread, or if such player has sent a list of prospects and instructions for who to select as described below, then such player on the GMs list.  The daily tolling period from 12am to 8am remains unchanged.

For any proposal below, if you think that you may not be able to make the time and you think there's a good chance you will be on the clock and miss the chance to draft, you may send a Private Message at any time to the Draft Moderator, @stitches, (or another GM if you believe in your best interest, but make sure it's someone who is generally very active on these forums so it gets in) and include a list of selections in order of preference.  If the time expires and no list has been sent, then you will draft the highest rated player on the big board in the Draft Selections Thread (if the highest player is of a position already selected, then the highest rated player at a different position).

Just now, stitches said:

BTW, like @SupermanI am against people making picks for me and me making picks for others. I'd rather we use the current system with the BPA according to the big board.

If others feel this way as well (or on the other hand would like to send their picks to someone else), please speak up on this topic.  If there is a lot of dissent, I'll remove it and just make BPA on the big board; if it's difficult to tell, I will make a separate rule to vote on (i.e. we'll make two votes, one on time frame and one on how selections are made if time expires).

7 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Well, the point behind sending your list is to ensure you get your guy.  I think we all have our own draft boards and you would theoretically stick to your big board.  The only time it becomes a problem is when its your pick, andyou have Player X as your highest prospect, but instead, pick Player Y who is the 5th player on your list because it was ranked higher on the other GM's big board.  Just my opinion.But if you wouldn't want to receive them, we can take you off the list of GMs who don't want to be responsible for them.  No big deal.  I think the goal is that people get the guys they want, but due to personal life can't make the 6 hour (or even 12 hour) window to participate.  

Everybody agreed to the time frame and the big board. If you want your guy, be here to make your pick. If not, it goes to the big board. Those were the original rules, and nobody challenged them when they signed up. 

If people decide to send other drafters their lists, then that's fine. I don't like it -- I don't want you to know what the team in front of me is planning to do. But there's nothing stopping you from having that kind of arrangement with someone else. I would prefer it to be a neutral party, but that doesn't seem plausible; anyone who didn't sign up probably doesn't want to be on the clock for other people. 

Whatever the majority decides is fine. The only exception I take is being compelled to send my lists to anyone else. If I miss my pick, go chalk. And honestly, since I'm following this thread and I get alerts to my phone, I don't see how I would take anymore than a couple hours to make my pick. Other people have different circumstances, and that's fine. I think 12 hours is too long, but so far that hasn't been an issue. We went through 18 picks in one day, with a bunch of trades and a couple long waiting periods. Waiting on anyone has been an outlier. I have no problem with reducing the time window for cases like this, where we're likely waiting on someone who isn't going to show up (and we knew it as soon as that person was on clock), but generally speaking, the waiting period hasn't been a problem. People only got impatient with JP after he showed up and decided to make a production out of his pick.

Anyways, I agree we should speed it up, but I'm against sharing lists. I'll concede to the majority, up to the point that it becomes mandatory for me to share my list. And yes, I know it's just a game, but it's a matter of principle.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Everybody agreed to the time frame and the big board. If you want your guy, be here to make your pick. If not, it goes to the big board. Those were the original rules, and nobody challenged them when they signed up. 

If people decide to send other drafters their lists, then that's fine. I don't like it -- I don't want you to know what the team in front of me is planning to do. But there's nothing stopping you from having that kind of arrangement with someone else. I would prefer it to be a neutral party, but that doesn't seem plausible; anyone who didn't sign up probably doesn't want to be on the clock for other people. 

Whatever the majority decides is fine. The only exception I take is being compelled to send my lists to anyone else. If I miss my pick, go chalk. And honestly, since I'm following this thread and I get alerts to my phone, I don't see how I would take anymore than a couple hours to make my pick. Other people have different circumstances, and that's fine. I think 12 hours is too long, but so far that hasn't been an issue. We went through 18 picks in one day, with a bunch of trades and a couple long waiting periods. Waiting on anyone has been an outlier. I have no problem with reducing the time window for cases like this, where we're likely waiting on someone who isn't going to show up (and we knew it as soon as that person was on clock), but generally speaking, the waiting period hasn't been a problem. People only got impatient with JP after he showed up and decided to make a production out of his pick.

Anyways, I agree we should speed it up, but I'm against sharing lists. I'll concede to the majority, up to the point that it becomes mandatory for me to share my list. And yes, I know it's just a game, but it's a matter of principle.

Which is fair - so far, it seems the majority would be on your side.  Of course, only a few people have weighed in, and I'm not sure which side I agree with on this, but I certainly think it's fair.  

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

BTW, like @SupermanI am against people making picks for me and me making picks for others. I'd rather we use the current system with the BPA according to the big board.

Yeah that's something I suggested as well which I think OPC already agreed too. If you don't send your picks to someone then we go BPA based on the BB. Just let people choose.

But we also have to come up with a system like jvan said, to prevent auto-selecting of unnecessary picks. For example, If Connor Cook is BPA at the Colts pick in round 2 and time has expired, we need to have some sort of agreement that justifies a pick being improbable. Or maybe look at need. 

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah that's something I suggested as well which I think OPC already agreed too. If you don't send your picks to someone then we go BPA based on the BB. Just let people choose.

But we also have to come up with a system like jvan said, to prevent auto-selecting of unnecessary picks. For example, If Connor Cook is BPA at the Colts pick in round 2 and time has expired, we need to have some sort of agreement that justifies a pick being improbable. Or maybe look at need. 

That's a good point. I think it only really applies to QBs, but it could be a relevant situation. For the most part we can probably figure out which teams won't be taking a QB in the first few rounds, but what if it's the Broncos? There are a couple teams in a grey area. 

I think it would help if everyone just shows up for their pick, especially since the big board rule was set forth to begin with. But I understand having a contingency. I just think it throws things off.

I agree with Superman, in general it shouldn't be a problem. It hasn't been a problem until pick 19 and the manager of the Bills hasn't been online for 2 days now. I think that's more of a exception than the rule. I don't expect us to have too many selections by default because of expired time. I think we will have enough time to go through 3 rounds before the real draft starts. I didn't mean this to be a super quick draft where we finish it in several days. When you have 30+ people it's only natural to have some waiting time and for people to not be all here at the very time their clock starts.

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

Why not just let ColtsBleedBlue take over and make the pick at #19? Assuming he/she is standing by, we can get that pick from him now and make it once crestmount times out... ???

Also bringing this up. If we have people in the waiting list standing when enough time has passed and we haven't seen any activity. That'll speed it up for later rounds when some teams have multiple picks. Plus the new GM is unlikely to repeat the same mistake as the previous.

But I agree to the rest of the rule changes.

27 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

One good thing about this is that when we (hopefully) do this again next year we will have more knowledge on timings and better set rules (not that these are bad, they just aren't too well set up)!

It's like anything else when you run an event.  You learn from the previous mistakes and avoid them the next time.  

14 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Also bringing this up. If we have people in the waiting list standing when enough time has passed and we haven't seen any activity. That'll speed it up for later rounds when some teams have multiple picks. Plus the new GM is unlikely to repeat the same mistake as the previous.

But I agree to the rest of the rule changes.

I don't think that needs it's own independent rule change - but we should include it in the rules next year when we start this so that people know that if willing/available players are there, they could be removed.  I think for now, having it be within the commissioners discretion is fine.  I assume he would handle the same going forward.

I vote for 2 as well and to add to it, make it mandatory that every GM provide their top 10 or 20 wish list (whatever they feel appropriate) at the beginning of each round even if they are a regular visitor. If something unanticipated comes up, that should cover those possibilities. That way, we make it even for all types of forum members, the ones that frequent it and the ones that don't. 

Another potential idea: you get 6 hours, but if your pick is coming up and you anticipate being busy due to work or something like that, you can PM the commish or make a post in the thread saying you want to request an extension and list your reason why.  We'd just have to trust people not to abuse this, so we don't have everyone saying they want an extension.  And maximum time for an extension is 4 hours, giving you a total of 10 hours.  Thus, most picks are made within 6 hours, but the occasional pick may take longer.  Just a thought

43 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Another potential idea: you get 6 hours, but if your pick is coming up and you anticipate being busy due to work or something like that, you can PM the commish or make a post in the thread saying you want to request an extension and list your reason why.  We'd just have to trust people not to abuse this, so we don't have everyone saying they want an extension.  And maximum time for an extension is 4 hours, giving you a total of 10 hours.  Thus, most picks are made within 6 hours, but the occasional pick may take longer.  Just a thought

That's still kind of long. Especially if you know your pick is coming up. I say just stick to the PM system. If you're unsure just send someone some place holder picks and If you make it in time you can just tell the other person to forget about it. I think we would all love like to get this finished before the actual draft lol.

Another idea is to redo the draft.  When people sign up, they can take a maximum of 3 teams (we could have rules that if an owner has multiple teams, they must be from opposing conferences, and no one can own two teams from the same division).  In theory, those who respond first are people who check the forums more often, and we won't need to wait as long for them to make their picks.  We could still have a 12 hour limit because life does happen, but given how often those people check, we wouldn't have to wait that long.  Thus, the sign-up process completes much faster and you'd have people who check the forums quite a bit.  The downside is you could end up having 11 people instead of 32, which is less fun.  The upside is that things happen much more quickly, and you could even extend it to 7 rounds if things go very quickly/smoothly.

Modifications and Rule Proposals taking into account some of the discourse above:

Rule Proposals

Period of Time to Make Selections

3) For rounds 2 through 4, the window of time to make selections shall be 4 hours.  No changes to the 12 hour period for 1st round picks.  The daily tolling period from 12am to 8am remains unchanged.

4) For rounds 2 through 4, the window of time to make selections shall be 6 hours.  In an effort to continue the pace of the draft and not utilize the maximum amount of time per each pick, a GM who has sent trade offers to other GMs will conduct themselves under an honor policy such that any trade offer sent and not responded to within one hour shall be deemed rejected (and no second offer may be sent to that same GM to start another one hour period); this honor system shall not apply to GMs who are actively negotiating an offer.  If all offers have been rejected or deemed rejected under these rules, the GM on the clock will then make a selection in the best interest of progressing the draft.   No changes to the 12 hour period for 1st round picks.  The daily tolling period from 12am to 8am remains unchanged.

5) No changes to the Rules.

6) For rounds 2 through 4, the window of time to make selections shall be 6 hours; provided however, for any GM who has not been active on the threads for the 12 preceding hours before that GM is on the clock, then such GM has 4 hours to make a selection.  In this latter scenario, the 4 hour window will cease and the GM get the full 6 hours to make a selection if the GM logs on before the 4 hour period expires and indicates that a selection will forthcoming.  At the end of the 4 or 6 hour period, such as the case may be, and no selection has been made, the GM will be deemed to have selected the highest rated player available on the big board posted in the main draft thread, or if such player has sent a list of prospects and instructions for who to select as described below, then such player on the GMs list.  The daily tolling period from 12am to 8am remains unchanged.

Selections for Absentee GM

A) If the time to make a selection expires, the GM will be deemed to have selected the highest rated player in the big board used in the main draft forum, without regard to position.

B)  If the time to make a selection expires, the GM will be deemed to have selected the highest rated player in the big board used in the main draft forum.  Selecting the highest rated player should be assumed reasonable and require strong evidence to the contrary that the selection is not warranted.  The Draft Moderator (with the input of other GMs) will take into account the round of the selection and depth requirements of the team and if the circumstances require it, may select the next highest rated player that because either (i) the highest rated player is at the same position of a player already drafted, so the next highest rated player at a different position is the more reasonable selection , or (ii) such team is already reasonably set at the QB position selecting another QB would not be a justified use of the selection as a potential starter or backup quarterback.   

C)  If the time to make a selection expires, the GM will be deemed to have selected the highest rated player on the big board used in the main draft forum.  However, if a GM may elect to send a big board of players he thinks may be available at his pick and send that list, with the player of the highest priority at the top of the list, and each player below in descending order of priority.  When the GM's turn comes and he is absent, he will take the highest player on the list as soon as that GM is on the clock.  It is the GM's responsibility to find a volunteer to make the pick for the absentee GM.   If the time expires and no player remains on the GM's list, then you will automatically draft the highest rated player on the big board in the Draft Selections Thread at the start of your turn.  

5 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Another idea is to redo the draft.  When people sign up, they can take a maximum of 3 teams (we could have rules that if an owner has multiple teams, they must be from opposing conferences, and no one can own two teams from the same division).  In theory, those who respond first are people who check the forums more often, and we won't need to wait as long for them to make their picks.  We could still have a 12 hour limit because life does happen, but given how often those people check, we wouldn't have to wait that long.  Thus, the sign-up process completes much faster and you'd have people who check the forums quite a bit.  The downside is you could end up having 11 people instead of 32, which is less fun.  The upside is that things happen much more quickly, and you could even extend it to 7 rounds if things go very quickly/smoothly.

I don't want to take anything away from the other draft, but if there is enough interest, I can put in the work to get a new one going with these rules.  The other draft is at a bit of a standstill, having only progressed through (I think) 3 or 4 picks all day

Here is a thought from left field: I think we have 2 versions of the draft, period.

One where picks are made like speed chess, which would be equivalent of 4 hours in our mock draft. GMs give their wish list of 10 picks prior to every round starting. The second version is the current version, people can have the 12 hours and roll with it. 

It is mighty hard to accomodate everyone, someone will always be unhappy. It happens at every level, whether it is a civil internet forum or any organization, where things don't go people's way. As a commish, one just has to make hard decisions, move on and the others have to support and deal with the consequences.

This has been a lot of fun and I would like to participate in this every year. Thanks to Switches and all those participating.  

I believe we should try as much as possible to recruit fans of the other teams to participate and make selections for their respective teams. We have a Bills fan, a Ravens fan (The Old Crow), several Broncos fans, many Pats fans (Yehoodi would be great), a Seahawks fan (?Robinson), Saints fan (Bogie), and more. They probably know more about their team's draft strategy, tendencies, needs, schemes, etc. Also, they have an emotional investment in their picks.  I don't believe we would be waiting as long if they have to make picks for their teams. 

While I understand why you want to give all participants 12 hours to make their selections, I believe that is too much time. Participants lose interest when they have to wait so long. All participants should have a list of players they would select and be prepared to make their picks when their time comes.

43 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I don't want to take anything away from the other draft, but if there is enough interest, I can put in the work to get a new one going with these rules.  The other draft is at a bit of a standstill, having only progressed through (I think) 3 or 4 picks all day

29 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Here is a thought from left field: I think we have 2 versions of the draft, period.

One where picks are made like speed chess, which would be equivalent of 4 hours in our mock draft. GMs give their wish list of 10 picks prior to every round starting. The second version is the current version, people can have the 12 hours and roll with it. 

It is mighty hard to accomodate everyone, someone will always be unhappy. It happens at every level, whether it is a civil internet forum or any organization, where things don't go people's way. As a commish, one just has to make hard decisions, move on and the others have to support and deal with the consequences.

If someone wants to be a commissioner of another draft I encourage it. I think we can coordinate that better next year, but there is still time to recruit GM'S for a separate draft before this year's draft. Borrow from our rules if you like. My recommendation to you is have a contingency for sign ups that drop out with no warning and have alternatives ready to go.

49 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

This has been a lot of fun and I would like to participate in this every year. Thanks to Switches and all those participating.  

I believe we should try as much as possible to recruit fans of the other teams to participate and make selections for their respective teams. We have a Bills fan, a Ravens fan (The Old Crow), several Broncos fans, many Pats fans (Yehoodi would be great), a Seahawks fan (?Robinson), Saints fan (Bogie), and more. They probably know more about their team's draft strategy, tendencies, needs, schemes, etc. Also, they have an emotional investment in their picks.  I don't believe we would be waiting as long if they have to make picks for their teams. 

While I understand why you want to give all participants 12 hours to make their selections, I believe that is too much time. Participants lose interest when they have to wait so long. All participants should have a list of players they would select and be prepared to make their picks when their time comes.

I agree, and that's what I'm trying to avoid.  There are several members who check the forums multiple times a day.  If we could get all of those people into one draft, I feel like it would go very smoothly and quickly.  I don't know how much support there is for something like that, but I can take a stab at trying to organize it if people are interested.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Since I have no business being in a fictional draft hypothetical game, I will remain silent, but I do like your point NFLfan about including Yehoodi, Bogie, & TOC in topics like this because I like getting commentary on players from franchises outside Indianapolis or rather athletes they think would be a good fit for their team filling a necessary void on their roster. 

Some fans live & breathe draft selection mock scenarios, I am not one of those individuals. However, I will read other insights on regulars I admire from time to time. 

10 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I agree, and that's what I'm trying to avoid.  There are several members who check the forums multiple times a day.  If we could get all of those people into one draft, I feel like it would go very smoothly and quickly.  I don't know how much support there is for something like that, but I can take a stab at trying to organize it if people are interested.

I think this could work well. We now know who has been committed to this and who has been checking in regularly. We can compile a list of those members and gauge their interest.  The Old Crow and Yehoodi are here often too and can be included.

With the blockbuster trade between the Rams and the Titans, this could be fun.

Note: I think we should keep the other draft too (the one started by Switches).

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Note: I think we should keep the other draft too (the one started by Switches).

I agree fully.

Any interest in a new draft and allowing people to take up to 3 teams to make things go more quickly?

@CheezyColt @Defjamz26 @The Brazilian Ninja @jvan1973 @Superman @Dustin @stitches @Exodus @wig @chelsea_fc @twfish @Yehoodi @QwizBoy @MPStack @danlhart87 @chad72 @OffensivelyPC @MTC @bap03Colts @loudnproudcolt @tweezy32 @JPFolks @Footballlax31 @WarGhost21 @aaron11 @Coltfreak @PureLuck @ColtsBleedBlue @NFLfan @Archer @NorthernBlue @scousecolt

It will be first-come, first-served, of course.  And it would have the updated order after this morning's trade  I will try to encourage people to take a maximum of two teams to start with, but if we have a few teams left over, we can let people take three.

If there is interest, I can organize the thread and we can get this draft started tonight.  The original draft will remain open, as well.

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

I agree fully.

Any interest in a new draft and allowing people to take up to 3 teams to make things go more quickly?

@CheezyColt @Defjamz26 @The Brazilian Ninja @jvan1973 @Superman @Dustin @stitches @Exodus @wig @chelsea_fc @twfish @Yehoodi @QwizBoy @MPStack @danlhart87 @chad72 @OffensivelyPC @MTC @bap03Colts @loudnproudcolt @tweezy32 @JPFolks @Footballlax31 @WarGhost21 @aaron11 @Coltfreak @PureLuck @ColtsBleedBlue @NFLfan @Archer @NorthernBlue @scousecolt

It will be first-come, first-served, of course.  And it would have the updated order after this morning's trade  I will try to encourage people to take a maximum of two teams to start with, but if we have a few teams left over, we can let people take three.

If there is interest, I can organize the thread and we can get this draft started tonight.  The original draft will remain open, as well.

I'm in

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

I agree fully.

I'd do it, but I think it will be really confusing having two large scale mocks going on at the same time.