Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Official Colts Forum 2016 Mock Draft - Selection Thread (Make your picks here)

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I didn't want Spence... we went through that... I thought about Kelly but that is a full round reach... with Pagano's oversight we could have two young dominant safeties crushing opponents.  There was no linebacker or rusher to choose.. Decker was initially my choice but we need guard and center help more.  With so few picks I think that guy could be Bob Sanders for this defense... 

2 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I didn't want Spence... we went through that... I thought about Kelly but that is a full round reach... with Pagano's oversight we could have two young dominant safeties crushing opponents.  There was no linebacker or rusher to choose.. Decker was initially my choice but we need guard and center help more.  With so few picks I think that guy could be Bob Sanders for this defense... 

Neal is a full round reach, maybe more. At least Kelly has been a fringe first round player since February.

Also, Sanders was a 2nd round pick.

OVERVIEW

Some safeties are content with "catching" ball-carriers during their tackle attempts. Neal prefers to make sure those with the ball have nightmares about "42" coming their way. The Florida high school all-state pick (151 tackles as a junior) stepped in to tie for the team lead in special teams tackles as a freshman, along with playing a reserve role at safety (five tackles on the year). Neal got the start in eight contests as a sophomore, missing two games with an injury but still managing 45 tackles and racking up three interceptions. He also missed the first two games of the 2015 season with an injured hamstring, but finished with 96 tackles, 3.5 for loss, two sacks, and one interception. Neal joined cornerback Vernon Hargreaves III in leaving for the NFL early after his outstanding junior year.

PRO DAY RESULTS

40-yard dash: 4.59 seconds 
20-yard short shuttle: 4.32 seconds

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Athletic frame with NFL size. Quick-­twitch player cranks it up to top speed in a hurry. Explodes downhill in run support with blood in his eyes. Vicious hitter looking to bruise bones and set tones. Rangy run stopper. Drives all the way through his contact with aggressive finishes. Scouts impressed by his personal character. Good click and close skill in coverage. Is on top of receiver immediately after the catch. Worked from the box and as single high safety at Florida. Impact tackler around the line of scrimmage. Plays with a sense of desperation and rarely fatigues.

WEAKNESSES

Will have to make business decisions regarding when to bang and when to simply tackle in order to save his body. "Hulk smash" playing style led to 15 missed or broken tackles in 2015. Can be wild in space skating past his target. Field awareness can be hit or miss in coverage. Will lose track of deep ball responsibility from time to time. Won't always turn and run early enough.

SOURCES TELL US

"He looks like an NFL safety. Looks like he can run on tape and is exactly what you look for in run support. He's an athlete so I don't worry about his cover skills as long as his instincts are okay." -- NFC defensive backs coach

NFL COMPARISON

Kenny Vaccaro

BOTTOM LINE

Neal started the year off with a hamstring issue that slowed him down and caused some uneven tape at times, but his size, athleticism and hitting are the best in this draft. Neal isn't limited to simple box tasks even though he thrives there. He has all the makings of an early starter and may hear his name called earlier than some might project.

Just now, JPFolks said:

and this guy isn't a reach???

10 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I was back and forth between both safeties, this guy is a KILLER... he can also ball cover... the other Safety was also considered, but I read so many sites worried about his smaller frame and ACL problems.... 

This guy makes about 1.7 mental errors per snap. This is just straight up horrible.

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Did he want to trade down to the third round? That's just ... so soooo soooooooooo bad... lol...

The issue I have with it isn't that I don't like the pick, it's that it throws the balance of the draft off. It's like in fantasy when someone offers two players for one and says, "See? You're getting 12 points a game and I'm getting 12 points."  Trades like that (picks like this) tend to suck the fun out of it.

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

The issue I have with it isn't that I don't like the pick, it's that it throws the balance of the draft off. It's like in fantasy when someone offers two players for one and says, "See? You're getting 12 points a game and I'm getting 12 points." 

Someone will do something we all think is stupid in real life though. But yeah, this is pretty egregious.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Someone will do something we all think is stupid in real life though. But yeah, this is pretty egregious.

Well, even if you hated Grigs pick last year, you at least had to acknowledge that there weren't many, if any, better players than Dorsett on the board. There were tons here, some at the same position

17 minutes ago, The Brazilian Ninja said:

and this guy isn't a reach???

About half of first rounders are busts.. our coaching strength is the defensive backfield.. we have veteran leadership and also are building youth.  Ideally I would have traded down, but since this is a 3 round only draft, people just aren't trading much because what fun is getting extra picks not in this year's first 3 rounds.  We are looking for youth.  I was set on LINE LINE LINE but Conklin went ridiculously early and Decker is pretty much a Right Tackle and not a guard and definitely not a center.  

He (Neal) was rated a first round talent and some predicted he might go earlier than expected and he's the top rated safety.  It's still a position of need, but we have Adams in the mix to bring him up with excellent team leadership in our secondary and with Geathers and D'Joun, a youth movement.  

If Art Jones stays healthy and our other guys come back on the line, wasting a first round pick on a DL (since frankly none of the pass rushers seemed like reasonable risks) I was left with a center which can be found later, another CB when we have that position shored up much better, a guard which would be a nearly 2 round reach or one of the two lower first round Safeties.  The easy safe pick would have been Decker.  Yawn... we're just having fun and I think this guy could be a game changer like Bob Sanders was for us.  

I would have preferred to take him in the 20's but it wasn't an option.  At least I have thought it through.  I knew it didn't matter if I picked anyone who wasn't more than a couple pick reach people would freak (I think I even told that to Superman and/or 21is Superman).  

It's not real fellas.. it's just a fun draft.  I just got off a grueling amount of work for a breather and everyone was screaming at me to pick.  I had 5 guys to pick from which other prognosticators have chosen for us.  I picked one that wasn't obvious.  Let's see if his career pans out or not THEN come after me.  Most of the first round picks by all of you will be underwhelming or busts.  That's just the way it is.  If I had said DECKER... yawn... no discussion or thought or problems... but man.. this is supposed to be fun, not an assault right? All you guys can save your anger for our actual picks this year.  

@Superman, perhaps you don't have to run a company or support a family and many employees and thus have time to spend doing deep research day and night for months so you can make a brilliant pick on what was supposed to be a friendly light bit of entertainment.  

If the pick is so indefensible, why is he rated #30 on the list posted here and why is he the top rated safety on several other sites out there as well? And after reading his write up on NFL.com, why is it such an egregious pick?  If I had reached to the 19th pick of Round 2 for Kelly (which is how he's ranked on the list provided here) I would have gotten pounded for that.  Look at some of the early reaches already... where are the insults? Damn... you guys obviously have far too much free time on your hands... do something REAL and then view your hobbies in perspective.  12 picks is a reach, not a world ender.  

If a higher rated and higher profiled/rated Safety was available, I would have taken him, but the other option closest to him people all over the web are warning is a HUGE health risk and doesn't currently have NFL size, though he's very skilled.   What do you know that NFL.com doesn't know?  They even said he may go earlier than people think... I thought that was a sign that perhaps we could get a thumper with coverage skills.  I certainly put this choice above Dorsett last year and that was real life.  

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Yep, lets move on :) Maybe @JPFolks will look like a genius in several years time and can bump this one up to laugh at us :P 

Yes, last year a Vikings fan selected Marcus Peters for the Vikes in the SB Nation draft. Our fanbase gave him a really hard time because Peters had character issues. Well, he was def. Rookie of the Year. Maybe Neal will be too. :)

3 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

@Superman, perhaps you don't have to run a company or support a family and many employees and thus have time to spend doing deep research day and night for months so you can make a brilliant pick on what was supposed to be a friendly light bit of entertainment.  

If the pick is so indefensible, why is he rated #30 on the list posted here and why is he the top rated safety on several other sites out there as well? And after reading his write up on NFL.com, why is it such an egregious pick?  If I had reached to the 19th pick of Round 2 for Kelly (which is how he's ranked on the list provided here) I would have gotten pounded for that.  Look at some of the early reaches already... where are the insults? Damn... you guys obviously have far too much free time on your hands... do something REAL and then view your hobbies in perspective.  12 picks is a reach, not a world ender.  

If a higher rated and higher profiled/rated Safety was available, I would have taken him, but the other option closest to him people all over the web are warning is a HUGE health risk and doesn't currently have NFL size, though he's very skilled.   What do you know that NFL.com doesn't know?  They even said he may go earlier than people think... I thought that was a sign that perhaps we could get a thumper with coverage skills.  I certainly put this choice above Dorsett last year and that was real life.  

Hey I think the pick was interesting at least! There should be no hard feelings on a mock draft

The reaction to the pick and the real emotions make this draft all the more realistic and proves this was a good idea lol.

But seriously, Keanu Neal? What part of we already have a tone setting SS of the future do people not understand? The Issue with Lowery and Adams is that they were both true FS's, which left us without a physical safety. Having Neal and Geathers would give us to physical safeties who can't cover.

2 minutes ago, wig said:

Now I'm curious who the other 4 were. 

I was down to Decker, Alexander, Kelly, Apple and Neal.   Whitehair I thought was too much of a reach for a guard.  I knew Decker would catch me little to no grief.  Alexander is rated all over the place on sites from a first round to a 4th round pick (I got abuse for putting him on my first mock draft which I had used one site that said he'd be available in the 4th because at best he was a nickle corner... and that was still in the back of my head).  Kelly would have definitely been my pick if I could have worked out a trade so I could get both Kelly and Neal... Apple was a fall back most of the way as I didn't expect Alexander to be there.  I know there are Billings fans out there, but with our returning linemen I think the line is in much better shape right now than our O-Line and Safeties.  

I am not sure of the health of either Adams or Geathers all season.   We recently had a Superbowl discussion and I took the position, and still do, that Bob Sanders was the primary reason we won that Super Bowl that season.  (The entire run, not the game itself).  I read about Neal who I found most recently and imagined if his skills could be refined by Pagano and our vets, he could be a serious game changer for us for many years.   Maybe the guy is a bust, but maybe every other guy picked in the first has the same potential.  I thought people would disagree, but in a more fun, teasing way, or perhaps a debate would break out.  I was disappointed at the stern tone by some over something so trivial.  

If we got the guy matching the description on NFL.com, that would be a GREAT pick.  If he's not all that, he's likely still better than our German tackle dummy or our 1.5 yard per carry fat running back.   

35 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

We've derailed the thread enough. I'm moving on. 

35 minutes ago, wig said:

Sorry,.. there's a site glitch... 

@Defjamz26 They said he had very good cover skills on multiple write-ups.  That was why I thought what a great double threat the guy could be.  At worst, we'd have a monster Strong Safety and depth with Geathers and Neal using your view.  And perhaps you're right.  But I was focused on his dual threat ability and the fact that we can no longer allow New England or anyone else, to rush for 200 yards on us.  Some think the DL is the key for that, but comparing the options, he seemed more likely to impact against both the rushing game and shoring up our safety coverage with some instruction and development by Pagano.   I'll leave it now.  

1 hour ago, Track Guy said:

hahahahaha

Just remember this on draft day, when people on this board are slagging off Grigson. Heavy is the crown...

Oh please...Condemnation & scrutiny come with the GM job description as part of a devoted fan base. If Grigs can't take the heat, it's time to leave the draft kitchen.  It's not like Ryan's livelihood is on the line after a contract extension. 

I realize you were engaging in colorful exaggeration for effect TG, but by now our GM should start making picks that don't make Colts fan base scratch our forehead in bewilderment & confusion. One can only hope. 

6 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Oh please...Condemnation & scrutiny come with the GM job description as part of a devoted fan base. If Grigs can't take the heat, it's time to leave the draft kitchen.  It's not like Ryan's livelihood is on the line after a contract extension. 

I realize you were engaging in colorful exaggeration for effect TG, but by now our GM should start making picks that don't make Colts fan base scratch our forehead in bewilderment & confusion. One can only hope. 

Hey, as long as Grigson takes my guy, I won't be complaining. 

Just now, Track Guy said:

Hey, as long as Grigson takes my guy, I won't be complaining. 

That seems reasonable TG & I will publicly acknowledge that SW1 is not the leader of the Grigson bandwagon. 

I don't despise the guy personally. I just don't think he's the GM to lead us to another title in say the next 3 years. I know; I know we're stuck with him now. So, I will just bite my tongue & play nice. 

Just now, southwest1 said:

That seems reasonable TG & I will publicly acknowledge that SW1 is not the leader of the Grigson bandwagon. 

I don't despise the guy personally. I just don't think he's the GM to lead us to another title in say the next 3 years. I know; I know we're stuck with him now. So, I will just bite my tongue & play nice. 

He's been a mixed bag as a GM thus far. I've loved some of the moves he's made, I've been very disappointed by others. My complaint is that our running game sucks, and has sucked for a long time now. I think it is screwing up our franchise QB's development and putting tons of pressure on our defense.