Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you trade back

9 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:
9 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Depends who is on the board. If it's not a QB, WR, or RB they're trying to move up and get, chances are we could also use whatever player they want that bad.

Quarterback Paxton Lynch

27 minutes ago, DarkHorse said:

Dallas Cowboys are calling they want to trade our first round 18th overall pick for their second and third for this year and their first in 2017.

Would you accept or would you decline. 

That's an easy yes. That's a ridiculous offer.

38 minutes ago, DarkHorse said:

Dallas Cowboys are calling they want to trade our first round 18th overall pick for their second and third for this year and their first in 2017.

The Cowboys are NOT going to offer a 1,2,3 deal to trade their 2nd round pick for our 1st.

The cost would be too high.

Grigson's biggest values in last years draft's came in the middle rounds...(specifically 3-5.) Yes IMO if one of the premier pass rushers are not there at 18..i'd trade back to 25 and get Ryan, then Grigson would have another 2nd or 3rd round pick to stock up on pass rushers or a RG......just IMO.

Thats one crazy offer which I would normally take without a second thought. Ultimately, though, I couldn't accept! The odds are to stacked against it. With Luck back next year, we will presumably have a much better season, and more than likely make the playoffs. Yes, the AFC South is getting much stronger around us. With a decent draft and a healthy Luck, we would still be the best team in the division IMO! Add to that the fact that this years Cowboys record was really just a fluke, and you will find that both ours and the Cowboys first rounder next year will be in the mid-upper 20's and thats not worth an 18th, especially since we already have our own so its not a profit. In most mocks, Kelly likely will go anywhere from lower round 1 to the very top of round two and it is extremely doubtful that he will still be here (as he would be the player we would presumably be targeting with a drop that large!! So when its all said and done we will lose our highest pick we may get in the next ten years for a high 1st rounder, an iffy 2nd rounder (as all other options that would drastically help this year would be gone by that point, so its just a gamble for Kelly without a backup plan) and a 3rd rounder (which we have had a lot of success with that round the past few years but what are the chances it continues for a fourth year straight?). It just doesn't even out, especially considering the Cowboys won't trade the third rounder in this bundle because they will consider it to pricey for them as well! So no, I couldn't accept, and I know I'm one of the few, but it just makes no sense to me! If someone asked for a trade down still in round one, preferably top 28, I would probably accept, but this is just to much wishing and not enough logic!

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I would trade our 18th to them for Travis Frederick or Zack Martin and we also swap 2nd.and 3rd. round picks.

There is no way they would offer either of those two as they are key linemen for them. If we had a top 10 pick maybe but they would be off their rocker to ship one of the two here for the 18th pick.

1 minute ago, WarGhost21 said:

There is no way they would offer either of those two as they are key linemen for them. If we had a top 10 pick maybe but they would be off their rocker to ship one of the two here for the 18th pick.

They would only do it for a QB that they like who has fallen to us.  Their first pick would most likely be Bosa or Elliot. 

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

They would only do it for a QB that they like who has fallen to us.  Their first pick would most likely be Bosa or Elliot. 

Understandable, yet Fredrick and Martin are franchise players who they wouldn't trade for anything. They might send someone halfway decent as well as next years 1st and some picks this year but its still a very off chance. Plus, there is no real threat by us or anyone behind us for a ways (aside from the Jets if they can't strike a deal with Fitzpatrick). They would see it as a waste and wait and trade not quite so much for a later first rounder around maybe 28 if they were smart.

3 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Understandable, yet Fredrick and Martin are franchise players who they wouldn't trade for anything. They might send someone halfway decent as well as next years 1st and some picks this year but its still a very off chance. Plus, there is no real threat by us or anyone behind us for a ways (aside from the Jets if they can't strike a deal with Fitzpatrick). They would see it as a waste and wait and trade not quite so much for a later first rounder around maybe 28 if they were smart.

Yes they are great players.  It just depends on who the QB is that they really want and how bad.  I don't think it is a real possibility but Jones came close to drafting Manziel.  He is the wild card.  In this scenario he is giving up one starting player, yes a great one. for whom he believes is Romos successor for the next decade.  I think he is type of owner/GM who just might do it. 

All depends on the situation. If maybe a good WR falls and Minnesota wants to leapfrog Houston to #18 and offered a 3rd for our troubles? I'd certainly think on it.

If someone falls or a target of ours reaches us (Conklin, Billings, *enter your favourite pick here*) then I'd stand pat most likely. If they're both gone, or even better, there are a lot of good players left on the board at #18. I might take the risk in moving back 4-6 spots and score a bonus mid-round pick.

I'm not sure you can ever have a conversation about trading back until you're on the clock,, purely because you don't know who's still there. Unless of course you have no.1.

I don't mind us trading back, but I would want it to happen literally as we are on the clock instead of earlier and potentially miss out on Conklin, Billings, *enter your favourite pick here* being available at #18.

8 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I would trade our 18th to them for Travis Frederick or Zack Martin and we also swap 2nd.and 3rd. round picks.

So they give up a young, cheap, pro bowl Olineman, thereby weakening their teams biggest asset, and move back half a round in the second and third, just for a mid round 1st? 

I'm thinking Dallas would laugh and hang up.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Cowboys are NOT going to offer a 1,2,3 deal to trade their 2nd round pick for our 1st.

The cost would be too high.

Most likely yes, unless someone falls.

We have holes to fill and you can never have enough 1st round picks. Next year's draft looks pretty good and we could end up with some ammo to move up into the top 12 if we find someone we like.

Only fly in the ointment is that Dallas would be giving up way to much for our #18. Take out either the 2017 1st or the 2016 2nd and its more realistic.

Quoted wrong person sorry mate.

11 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

We have holes to fill and you can never have enough 1st round picks. Next year's draft looks pretty good and we could end up with some ammo to move up into the top 12 if we find someone we like.

Only fly in the ointment is that Dallas would be giving up way to much for our #18. Take out either the 2017 1st or the 2016 2nd and its more realistic. And I might still be tempted. Knowing Romo's penchant for injuries and lack of a decent backup, I might be tempted to take a gamble with their 1st next year being top 10-12 again. 

1 hour ago, UKColt13 said:

So they give up a young, cheap, pro bowl Olineman, thereby weakening their teams biggest asset, and move back half a round in the second and third, just for a mid round 1st? 

I'm thinking Dallas would laugh and hang up.

Just for a mid round first of course not.  You missed my point.   Jones would only do it for a QB that he really wants to succeed Romo.  He is only giving up one starter, a very good player, for what he believes is his future QB.  He loses one player out of five in his biggest asset.  He can live with that especially if he thinks he can replace him ,assuming he needs to, with his second pick.  He already picked up a starter with his 1st. pick.  I don't think the QB he wants will be there at 18.  If he is I could see him doing it. After all he is Jerry Jones, the man who almost drafted Manziel.  That should tell you how bad he is thinking of a QB.  Again this is only a possible scenario assuming he doesn't take a QB with his 1st. pick and his target falls to us.  Very unlikely.

As we get closer to the draft, I see our pick becoming prime real estate.  There could be at least 3 teams looking to move up or move back into the 1st round.  Paxton Lynch is the key.

Grigson needs to be really sure that staying pat is the better option.

3 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

Only fly in the ointment is that Dallas would be giving up way to much for our #18. Take out either the 2017 1st or the 2016 2nd and its more realistic.

Quoted wrong person sorry mate.

No worries.....     hey,  it happens!

5 hours ago, gacker65 said:

As we get closer to the draft, I see our pick becoming prime real estate.  There could be at least 3 teams looking to move up or move back into the 1st round.  Paxton Lynch is the key.

Grigson needs to be really sure that staying pat is the better option.

This is key.  I've seen there are about 16 (Gil Brandt) to 19 (Chris Landry) true first round grade prospects.  Our pick is on the cusp of that.  So if 'our guy' is not one of the to 16-19, or our guy gets taken off the board before us and the remaining 1st round grade prospects are not our cup of tea, we need to entertain trading down.  But only then if they are satisfied they can get our other 2 guys in round 2 at the new slot(s) and those beyond.

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

This is key.  I've seen there are about 16 (Gil Brandt) to 19 (Chris Landry) true first round grade prospects.  Our pick is on the cusp of that.  So if 'our guy' is not one of the to 16-19, or our guy gets taken off the board before us and the remaining 1st round grade prospects are not our cup of tea, we need to entertain trading down.  But only then if they are satisfied they can get our other 2 guys in round 2 at the new slot(s) and those beyond.

Getting our guys after the 1st is doable.

Depending how the top of round 1 goes, could be a bidding war with Lynch as the prize.