Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BlueShoe's View of Picks 1-18

1. Tennessee Titans

Laremy Tunsil, LT, Mississippi

The Titans number one need is to protect the quarterback. Tunsil is certainly in the conversation as the best player in this draft. Need meets best player available here.

2. Cleveland Browns

Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota St.

The signing of RGIII might have appeared to derail the obviousness of Cleveland picking a quarterback with the second overall pick. It could also demonstrate that the Browns do not believe any quarterback in this draft is ready to start in year one. RGII signed a modest two-year contract, and he knew the situation going into this. RGIII has one year to prove himself or the rookie takes over the franchise.

3. San Diego Chargers – TRADE

3. San Francisco 49ers

Jared Goff, QB, California

There is a lot of speculation over this pick. The Chargers would certainly entertain a trade and move back. If a team were to move all the way up to number one and take a quarterback, then the Chargers would still be in the Tunsil sweepstakes, and they would absolutely stay at three.

The 49ers, should not make the same mistake twice. The stain of already passing on a quarterback from its own back yard (Rodgers), has kept the 49ers searching for a franchise quarterback for over a decade. Goff is the right fit for Chip Kelly’s up speed tempo.  

4. Dallas Cowboys

Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio St.

A sound philosophy is to always draft players who can rush the quarterback. Is Jerry Jones really willing to leave Bosa on the board, and then kick himself in the rear for the next decade? Bosa can play in any defense, should the Cowboys decide to one-day change things up.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars

Myles Jack, OLB, UCLA

Jack is a versatile linebacker who was asked to do a little bit of everything at UCLA. The only concern is the knee injury. Typically, linebackers not deemed pass rushers, are not in the top five discussion. However, Jack’s talent has him in this discussion. He is a 4-3 plug and play OLB, who would make an immediate impact in Jacksonville.

6. Baltimore Ravens

Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida St.

The Ravens did not receive good corner play last year and need to upgrade the position. Ramsey can play corner or safety, and he is the best secondary player in this draft.

7. San Francisco 49ers – TRADE

7. San Diego Chargers

Ronnie Stanley, LT, Notre Dame

The Chargers win the first seven picks as they trade down five spots and still get the player they needed and wanted. Plug and play left tackle on day one.

8. Philadelphia Eagles

Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio St.

Many people assumed the Eagles were moving up to draft a quarterback. And maybe the Eagles wanted to be close in case anything did happen at the top. However, I believe they moved up to draft the best college running back we have seen in a quite some time.

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida

Even after signing Grimes and Conte, Tampa Bay still needs help in the secondary. Hargreaves would be a day-one starter, opposite Grimes.

10. New York Giants

Reggie Ragland, MLB, Alabama

The Giants have desperately needed a force at middle linebacker, and may not get a better opportunity to draft a difference maker in the middle than this.

11. Chicago Bears

DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon

The Bears need a 5-tecnique defensive end, and Buckner is likely the best in this draft.

12. New Orleans Saints

Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson

The Saints signed Fairley to a one-year deal, so looking at defensive tackles is certainly not out of the question here. The Saints pass rush was horrible last season, and the secondary was exploited in the process. I have had a gut feeling from early on in this draft process about Lawson. I believe after all the smoke clears, and we look back on this 2016 draft, Shaq Lawson will be the best player in this draft class.

13. Miami Dolphins

Eli Apple, CB, Ohio St.

The Dolphins have brought in a lot of players to get after the quarterback. Now they need playmakers on the backend to see the plan reach its fruition. Apple possesses the necessary traits to become a shutdown corner.

14. Oakland Raiders

Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame

The Raiders have never shied away from these types of opportunities. When healthy, Smith can play any linebacker spot, and in any type of defense. He might not be ready for day one, but he if he fully recovers then he will be a force to reckon with.

15. Los Angeles Rams

Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis

The Rams may be tempted to move up to secure this pick, and they would have a few takers. I could see New Orleans and Tampa as two willing participants. It would be somewhat surprising if Lynch somehow made it past number 15 overall. I believe a team is either moving in front of the Rams, the Rams are moving up, or the Rams will take the third QB off of the board at 15.

16. Detroit Lions

Jack Conklin, OL, Michigan St.

The Lions must do a better job protecting the quarterback, and there’s not a person watching the draft who would be surprised by this pick.

17. Atlanta Falcons

Darron Lee, LB, Ohio St.

The Falcons have brought back MLB Sean Weatherspoon, signed DE Courtney Upshaw, DE Derrick Shelby, and resigned DE Adrian Clayborn. All players 26-28 years old. The Falcons could really use some help at guard, but many options will be available later in the draft. Lee’s speed and ability to make plays in the open field make him an ideal match in the young and upcoming Falcons defense.

18. Indianapolis Colts

Ryan Kelly, OL, Alabama

Grigson cannot afford to fall on his face with this pick. Outside of the Gimmie pick with Luck, Grigson has not landed on a first round pick yet. After drafting Werner, and trading away a pick for Richardson, and then shocking the entire NFL by taking a WR last year. The WR pick could still pan out, and I believe it will; but the jury is still out.

All that said; Luck has been unprotected this entire time. That is 100% on Grigson, and he has put this team in a position where we must not take any chances in this draft.

There will be good players on the board when we pick at #18. There will be Colts fans crying and screaming. However, we are not going anywhere until we fix this offensive line.

Ryan Kelly will be a dominant force in the center of our offensive line. He will protect Luck and also blast open holes for our running backs.

I don't feel we should take a center in Round 1, but you could still have a successful draft if it happened.  I think you would need to do a trade back in round 1 to acquire an extra pick in round 2.  With this scenario I made the following mock draft:

1.Ryan Kelly
2.Darian Thompson
2.Noah Spence/Camalei Correa
3.Joshua Garnett
4.Jonathan Williams/Daniel Lasco
5.Miles Killebrew(Dime Linebacker)/Devondre Campbell(Dime Linebacker/Potential Pass Rusher)
7.Matt Judon

Really no room to improve the ILB spot with the above scenario, but it answers pass rush and the offensive line issues.  Didn't select a DL player because honestly if you have payed attention the Colts haven't really been working out many DL players.  Most of the ones they have worked out are guys I think they feel would upgrade the talent level of our reserve players.  As far as the ILB spot goes we have good pieces in place like Dqwell Jackson, Sio Moore, and Nate Irving. Also Sylvestre and Herrera.  

From there I think Grigs would look to add some competent FA veteran players into the competition along with some attractive UDFA backers.  As far as the secondary is concerned I think we have some good pieces there with Davis, Smith, Robinson, Mitchell, Butler along with some other guys who have potential on the roster.  I'm sure Grigs would make some additional moves to improve the talent there as well. I also think Grigs will find some decent Veteran FA or UDFA depth to fill the WR depth behind T.Y., Moncrief, and Dorsett.

14 minutes ago, AndyColt said:

i think Jacksonville will take Ryan kelly.... 

Most mocks that I have seen have them taking Jack or other defensive players.  The only team I see that

may take Kelly in the first round is Arizona.

I wouldn't be disappointed if we took Kelly at 18.  I just don't want another OT.

I don't think Kelly in the 1st would be good value. I don't see him as a dominant, all pro center, and that's what he'd need to be for us to take him in the 1st. We can get a good starting center anywhere from the 2nd to the 5th if Grigs and the staff can see the talent. Hopefully we find that Cory Linsley type in the 5th round to come in and start day 1 and play at a high level.

Every scout who talks about Kelly has him as a plug and play from day one, and a future pro bowler, and if not a very good career. I have heard nothing negative about him, and yes there may be other picks, BPA, who we could take, but if there are only about 15 players who have first round grades of the top 50. Kelly is ranked by most I follow in the 30-40 range, so would it really be such a big reach. I just think it is such an important position, and he would be perfect. Also, a lot of people say Grigson would never draft a C at 18. I think the dynamic has changed a bit, and Pagano and Philbin possibly may have more input. I want a sure thing that upgrades us immediately. The rest of the picks, defense, unless someone unexpectedly falls. A Safety definitely in our 2nd round.

1. I really like what you have put up Blue Shoe. The only things I don't agree with is Dallas won't take Bosa, imho, and Buckner falling to 11. Who knows though. We usually have the top ten right, but after that, especially the last few years there have been a lot of surprises. What happens if someone falls. If Conklin were to fall, I bellieve we would seriously consider taking him. Also, someone in the top 15 is going to fall for one reason or another. Others could rise up into the first who we don't know yet. An example, when David Decastro fell to Pittsburgh two years ago. He was seen as top 15, Pitt got him in the 20's. Had a rough first year, but has been really good since. We shall see. Best case scenario, Elliot or someone else a team really wants, and we get to trade down, pick up a second or third, and still draft Kelly.

1 hour ago, Traines said:

I would trade up and get Buckner in this scenario if possible...or just stay put and take about 20 other guys before I took Kelly at 18.

You believe there are 20 players we should take before Ryan?

Name the 20 players.

14 hours ago, krunk said:

I think you would need to do a trade back in round 1 to acquire an extra pick in round 2.  

Krunk,

I am on record agreeing with that. I would look into trading back, but we would probably lose Ryan Kelly. We could still get Whitehair, Martin, or Westerman. I believe we need to double dip. I am all for taking Ryan in the first and then following up with Whitehair, Martin, or Westerman in the second or third. 

The problem is several team are in the Ryan Kelly draft zone. The 2 picks in front and the 6 picks directly after us, all need interior linemen; Detroit, Atlanta, (Indy) Buffalo, NY Jets, Washington, Houston, Minnesota, and Cincinnati.

I think Ryan Kelly will be drafted somewhere between 16 and 24.

18 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

1. Tennessee Titans

Laremy Tunsil, LT, Mississippi

The Titans number one need is to protect the quarterback. Tunsil is certainly in the conversation as the best player in this draft. Need meets best player available here.

2. Cleveland Browns

Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota St.

The signing of RGIII might have appeared to derail the obviousness of Cleveland picking a quarterback with the second overall pick. It could also demonstrate that the Browns do not believe any quarterback in this draft is ready to start in year one. RGII signed a modest two-year contract, and he knew the situation going into this. RGIII has one year to prove himself or the rookie takes over the franchise.

3. San Diego Chargers – TRADE

3. San Francisco 49ers

Jared Goff, QB, California

There is a lot of speculation over this pick. The Chargers would certainly entertain a trade and move back. If a team were to move all the way up to number one and take a quarterback, then the Chargers would still be in the Tunsil sweepstakes, and they would absolutely stay at three.

The 49ers, should not make the same mistake twice. The stain of already passing on a quarterback from its own back yard (Rodgers), has kept the 49ers searching for a franchise quarterback for over a decade. Goff is the right fit for Chip Kelly’s up speed tempo.  

4. Dallas Cowboys

Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio St.

A sound philosophy is to always draft players who can rush the quarterback. Is Jerry Jones really willing to leave Bosa on the board, and then kick himself in the rear for the next decade? Bosa can play in any defense, should the Cowboys decide to one-day change things up.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars

Myles Jack, OLB, UCLA

Jack is a versatile linebacker who was asked to do a little bit of everything at UCLA. The only concern is the knee injury. Typically, linebackers not deemed pass rushers, are not in the top five discussion. However, Jack’s talent has him in this discussion. He is a 4-3 plug and play OLB, who would make an immediate impact in Jacksonville.

6. Baltimore Ravens

Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida St.

The Ravens did not receive good corner play last year and need to upgrade the position. Ramsey can play corner or safety, and he is the best secondary player in this draft.

7. San Francisco 49ers – TRADE

7. San Diego Chargers

Ronnie Stanley, LT, Notre Dame

The Chargers win the first seven picks as they trade down five spots and still get the player they needed and wanted. Plug and play left tackle on day one.

8. Philadelphia Eagles

Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio St.

Many people assumed the Eagles were moving up to draft a quarterback. And maybe the Eagles wanted to be close in case anything did happen at the top. However, I believe they moved up to draft the best college running back we have seen in a quite some time.

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida

Even after signing Grimes and Conte, Tampa Bay still needs help in the secondary. Hargreaves would be a day-one starter, opposite Grimes.

10. New York Giants

Reggie Ragland, MLB, Alabama

The Giants have desperately needed a force at middle linebacker, and may not get a better opportunity to draft a difference maker in the middle than this.

11. Chicago Bears

DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon

The Bears need a 5-tecnique defensive end, and Buckner is likely the best in this draft.

12. New Orleans Saints

Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson

The Saints signed Fairley to a one-year deal, so looking at defensive tackles is certainly not out of the question here. The Saints pass rush was horrible last season, and the secondary was exploited in the process. I have had a gut feeling from early on in this draft process about Lawson. I believe after all the smoke clears, and we look back on this 2016 draft, Shaq Lawson will be the best player in this draft class.

13. Miami Dolphins

Eli Apple, CB, Ohio St.

The Dolphins have brought in a lot of players to get after the quarterback. Now they need playmakers on the backend to see the plan reach its fruition. Apple possesses the necessary traits to become a shutdown corner.

14. Oakland Raiders

Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame

The Raiders have never shied away from these types of opportunities. When healthy, Smith can play any linebacker spot, and in any type of defense. He might not be ready for day one, but he if he fully recovers then he will be a force to reckon with.

15. Los Angeles Rams

Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis

The Rams may be tempted to move up to secure this pick, and they would have a few takers. I could see New Orleans and Tampa as two willing participants. It would be somewhat surprising if Lynch somehow made it past number 15 overall. I believe a team is either moving in front of the Rams, the Rams are moving up, or the Rams will take the third QB off of the board at 15.

16. Detroit Lions

Jack Conklin, OL, Michigan St.

The Lions must do a better job protecting the quarterback, and there’s not a person watching the draft who would be surprised by this pick.

17. Atlanta Falcons

Darron Lee, LB, Ohio St.

The Falcons have brought back MLB Sean Weatherspoon, signed DE Courtney Upshaw, DE Derrick Shelby, and resigned DE Adrian Clayborn. All players 26-28 years old. The Falcons could really use some help at guard, but many options will be available later in the draft. Lee’s speed and ability to make plays in the open field make him an ideal match in the young and upcoming Falcons defense.

18. Indianapolis Colts

Ryan Kelly, OL, Alabama

Grigson cannot afford to fall on his face with this pick. Outside of the Gimmie pick with Luck, Grigson has not landed on a first round pick yet. After drafting Werner, and trading away a pick for Richardson, and then shocking the entire NFL by taking a WR last year. The WR pick could still pan out, and I believe it will; but the jury is still out.

All that said; Luck has been unprotected this entire time. That is 100% on Grigson, and he has put this team in a position where we must not take any chances in this draft.

There will be good players on the board when we pick at #18. There will be Colts fans crying and screaming. However, we are not going anywhere until we fix this offensive line.

Ryan Kelly will be a dominant force in the center of our offensive line. He will protect Luck and also blast open holes for our running backs.

All the screaming about the online.    You do realize that last season was bad because the QB tried to do too much and Grigs/Pags whoever made bad decisions on the starters

the same line 2 seasons ago fielded one of the top offenses in all of football top passing and 109.8 rushing per game and there were only 7 teams that gave up less sacks??

this online is not that far off.   A center in the 3-4 round and we are in decent shape and a QB who learns not to try to do much of course 

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&season=2014&seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&conference=ALL&d-447263-s=PASSING_SACKED

11 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

You believe there are 20 players we should take before Ryan?

Name the 20 players.

Rankins, Billings, Dodd, Reed, Robinson, Nkemdiche, V. Butler, C. Jones, Clark, A. Johnson, Spence, Correa, Floyd, Alexander, Jackson III,  Fuller, K. Joseph, Bell, Spriggs, Decker, H. Henry, Treadwell, Doctson, Coleman...there's 24 off the top of my head

I have Kelly ranked about where our 2nd pick would be (40-50), but obviously you have him ranked much higher.  My philosophy is to not reach for need (especially early), and certainly not to take a player just because you're afraid he'll be gone by your next pick.