Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Predict: What Need Doesn't Get Adressed

I've said before that the Colts aren't going to be able to address all the holes on the roster with this one draft. We only have 6 picks to work with. Some will have to wait until next year. My predictions are:

1. RB- Besides Elliot, I don't see a RB with proper value in any rounds to be worth a pick. The earliest I would take a RB is round 5, but the Colts may be eyeing an OL with that pick

2. Both OLB spots- I've done a few mocks with the Colts selecting to OLBs, but I think it might be less of a possibility now. I think they'll grab one guy in between rounds 3-4 and that'll be it.

3. OG- Unless we get Conklin, I think the Colts will roll with Thorton at RG. He might benefit from being in more of a zone scheme. And center is a bigger issue anyways, since Holmes and Harrison have both played poorly. Thorton is at least a good run blocker. And Luck should be getting rid of the ball quicker in the new offense.

28 minutes ago, wig said:

I'm worried about OLB because of how this draft sets up. Not much talent there. 

I don`t think there is any doubt the Colts will draft at least one Edge player and maybe two. Yeah, I agree, not one OLB really excites me at all. All the possible 1st rounders have question marks. For what its` worth, I do like K. Fackrell in rd 3.

I believe Grigson holds to his board and then uses UFAs to fill out the rest of our needs.  That's typically how he does it, isn't it?  So, my answer is every need gets filled, just not necessarily with 1 of the 6 picks.  That would be impossible.

13 minutes ago, jim scheurich said:

Nose Tackle...just a guess  I thought the interior linemen were descent last year.

Bunch of average Joes IMO. Anderson could be very good, Langford is 30ish and Parry should be a backup. McGill could end up being the best of the group, but they need a NT with some adequate size.

Like you Defjamz26, it just may be the RB position. A lot of holes to fill. It is my sincerest hope that this draft culminates with heavy defense & some OL help. I've stated this for years about intensifying the defense with playmakers. Without it, the road to Super Bowls might as well be covered with razor blades.

I'm not sure we're going to get the pass rush we all want.     This is NOT a good draft for pass rush.

I'm not sure we're going to get another corner -- whether it's a future starter or a future slot guy.

And I think ILB and/or Safety are likely iffy to be addressed in this draft....

knowing Grigson it will be Oline, but there seems to have been a change in power structure, and with the new extensions of Pags and Grigs i think Irsay is making it clear Luck needs to be protected, im going to say pass rush because the only good edge rush thats realistic for us is Noah Spence, but character issues are going to scare us away because of the past issues with Grigson picks. It sucks because pass rush IMO is our greatest need, without it i dont see us making it far in the playoffs, just a prediction though, i hope im proved wrong

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

We've been linked to some pass rushers, so I think we'll definitely take one in the first couple rounds. I'm not sure but haven't we been linked to all of Floyd, Spence, Correa, and Ngakoue?

Also were linked to Jordan Jenkins. Maybe we grab him to be the future SAM and get a Rush guy next year. Carl Lawson will be in that draft class.

I think we take a C. I'm thinking Seumola is our guy he can play all 3 positions inside. Should be there day 3.

DL is a no brainer IMO The draft is so deep it would be hard not to get one. I really want Billings.

OLB again no brainer we take at least one. We only have 3 on the roster 

I think we take a good look at FS. It would be ideal to get a guy this draft. There are a handful in rounds 2-4 that would work. 

RB isn't critical. I could see Coprich slipping to the 7th. It's not difficult to find good help in UDFA pool and we have what 5 guys already on the roster 

ILB is a position we can be very selective IMO. We have guys that can play.

I agree we could see OG not being addressed in the draft. I don't think its a great class. We have options on the roster if Thorton can't get right Whoever doesn't play RT Good of Reitz. I think they liked what little they saw of Heenan. I also believe we will bring in a vet at some point. I think if you put a solid C next to Thorton finally he will improve. 

We really have 5 picks the 7th isn't much. I think we walk away with a C DL and at least 1 OLB with our 5 picks. The other 2 could be anything. I'd think FS is going to be one. I wouldn't rule out a surprise like WR TE or CB. 

I agree with the vast majority here that the edge rusher or pass rusher class is pretty weak.  I don't see us addressing it at all unless Frackel is there in the third.   Also, after we sign Luck, I would not rule out the possibility of us taking a one year prove it to me flyer on Aldon Smith just like the Bills did with R. Incognito.  He is a top 10 pass rusher in this league. Somebody is going to do it and he's only 26.  He's free to sign with anyone now but the earliest he could play is November.  I'm open to it and if it works out we fill a huge need.  Incognito was appreciative of the Bills and he recently signed a longer term deal with them. 

2 hours ago, MPStack said:

Bunch of average Joes IMO. Anderson could be very good, Langford is 30ish and Parry should be a backup. McGill could end up being the best of the group, but they need a NT with some adequate size.

I agree pretty average. I'm not that familiar with 3-4 D. seems like they rely on LBers a lot to stop the run?(off the line)

I do really hope we hit on an O-lineman, and I think we would be foolish not to target one in the first 2 rounds. Whether that includes moving up or down with one of picks to maximize value or standing pat and having someone fall to us at 18 or 48... Our running game was ranked 29th in yardage and 31st in yards per attempt! This is the number one worry I have with this team for 2016 - so far they haven't really done anything to address this glaring weakness. I have to think our front office sees the importance of dialing up the run game (as well as giving Luck time to throw). It would also help our defense out tremendously if we could control the LOS on offense. 

I'm going to guess the need that the forum will feel weakest about that goes under addressed is edge rusher, but maybe we pick up one. Who knows, we'll see.

3 hours ago, Track Guy said:

I do really hope we hit on an O-lineman, and I think we would be foolish not to target one in the first 2 rounds. Whether that includes moving up or down with one of picks to maximize value or standing pat and having someone fall to us at 18 or 48... Our running game was ranked 29th in yardage and 31st in yards per attempt! This is the number one worry I have with this team for 2016 - so far they haven't really done anything to address this glaring weakness. I have to think our front office sees the importance of dialing up the run game (as well as giving Luck time to throw). It would also help our defense out tremendously if we could control the LOS on offense. 

I'm going to guess the need that the forum will feel weakest about that goes under addressed is edge rusher, but maybe we pick up one. Who knows, we'll see.

Fixing the line starts with Center though. OG can be fixed just by getting a better center and by putting Thorton in the zone scheme. That alone would fix the run game. We are fine at RT and its an easy position to fix should the need to upgrade there in the future ever arise.

Im not sure we need to upgrade the line as much as we need to just get a better center.

After doing my latest and probably last mock, I actually had the Colts walking out of the draft without any D-lineman and with a RB.

I used BPA and figured need would line up with BPA for 1-2 of the picks, and they ended up without drafting any D-lineman. So I might have to change my initial sentiments.