Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Moritz Boehringer - WR

Just saw this from Walter football and posting for fun. 

http://walterfootball.com/proday.php

"The 6'4, 225-pound wideout really impressed the dozens of onlookers with his "Olympian-type" results in the testing portion of the workout. He posted a vertical jump of 39 inches, a broad jump of 10 feet 11 inches, was timed from 4.38 to 4.45 in the 40, and ran a 4.09 in the short shuttle and 6.64 in the 3-cone. Those numbers have rarely been replicated by any recent NFL prospect.

That wasn't all for Boehringer, who apparently also looked equally good catching the ball and in positional drills. Pro scout Tony Pauline notes that he's heard Boehringer is considered a legitimate prospect and could go as early as the fourth round."

Don't know much about him at all, but those numbers are insane, even if they are a little off.

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

"The 6'4, 225-pound wideout really impressed the dozens of onlookers with his "Olympian-type" results in the testing portion of the workout. He posted a vertical jump of 39 inches, a broad jump of 10 feet 11 inches, was timed from 4.38 to 4.45 in the 40, and ran a 4.09 in the short shuttle and 6.64 in the 3-cone. Those numbers have rarely been replicated by any recent NFL prospect.

That wasn't all for Boehringer, who apparently also looked equally good catching the ball and in positional drills. Pro scout Tony Pauline notes that he's heard Boehringer is considered a legitimate prospect and could go as early as the fourth round."

Don't know much about him at all, but those numbers are insane, even if they are a little off.

That pro day is very impressive for a guy his size I would take him if he was there in the 4th round. that would give luck a Calvin Johnson type receiver to throw to.

12 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

That pro day is very impressive for a guy his size I would take him if he was there in the 4th round. that would give luck a Calvin Johnson type receiver to throw to.

3 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

I like him, I'd take him in the 5th.

4th round and higher shouldn't be for developmental guys imo.

Honestly, without seeing any of his tape, I can't say I know where he should go.  If the film doesn't matter at all and we're only looking at his measurables, he's clearly a 1st round talent.  Of course, that's not how it works and tape and production does matter. 

Here we are, less than 24 hours after his pro day, and NFL.com has this to say about him:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/moritz-boehringer?id=2556261

"He looked good (at his pro day). Anytime a guy covers all the measurables from length to explosion to speed, you tend to get excited. This is the first time I've seen him in person. He's got a chance, but you have to realize he's going against guys who aren't even at a DIII level. How will he deal with that jump in competition? How will he handle an NFL locker room? Thats a culture shock. I'm not trying to kill the guy, but let's slow the train down a little " NFL area scout 

That's promising.  But I suspect that whatever team he joins will take a sort of Daniel Adongo path to playing time.  He may not have an entire season on the PS, but it will be a slow process.  That to me screams 6th-7th round at best.  I think 4th round is probably optimistic - it really just depends on his film.  How coachable are his deficiencies?  What's his projection to crack playing time?  Et cetera.  We'll see.  I wouldn't get my hopes up to be honest, but it's hard not to be intrigued by his potential at the least.

I was just reading the article about him on NFL.com.  He's an intriguing prospect, obviously the physical tools are there, he does know the game of football, knows how to run routes, knows how to catch the ball and from the article is takes direction well and is able to apply what he is told very quickly, so he is coach-able.  The issue is level of competition.  I look at him like a DIII player which means 6th round or lower but I won't be suprised if he gets picked up as early as late 4th round.  I could see the Chiefs using that pick to get him as they are in need of WR help but not so desperate that they would need him to contribute this year.

The article at NFL.com also mentions that he's very adept at making changes. Easily coachable - will make adjustments and not look back. Not to mention he's only played football for 4 years and his rookie season in the German pro league he was already one of the top players. Obviously a development guy as far as getting up to nfl speed, but he's full of potential

43 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I remember this other German football player that played D1 college football at FSU. Don`t know where he is now.

His name starts with a "B" I think...and for some reason, I'm thinking it rhymes with "Yorn."  I dunno, I've slept since then.

23 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Honestly, without seeing any of his tape, I can't say I know where he should go.  If the film doesn't matter at all and we're only looking at his measurables, he's clearly a 1st round talent.  Of course, that's not how it works and tape and production does matter. 

Here we are, less than 24 hours after his pro day, and NFL.com has this to say about him:

That's promising.  But I suspect that whatever team he joins will take a sort of Daniel Adongo path to playing time.  He may not have an entire season on the PS, but it will be a slow process.  That to me screams 6th-7th round at best.  I think 4th round is probably optimistic - it really just depends on his film.  How coachable are his deficiencies?  What's his projection to crack playing time?  Et cetera.  We'll see.  I wouldn't get my hopes up to be honest, but it's hard not to be intrigued by his potential at the least.

If he is still there then I would 4th or 5th would be a steal if he worked out.

On 01/04/2016 at 8:10 AM, OffensivelyPC said:

I tried watching some of his tape and that league is brutal. It is like watching a high school football game. That being said he looked head and shoulders above the competition. Just not sure what that will translate to against NFL calibre players.  

On 4/1/2016 at 8:02 PM, OffensivelyPC said:

How does he run routes?  Can he run all 9? Can he get separation? And most importantly, can he play well on special teams?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not jumping on the band wagon of another one of these "intriguing " foreign players. I can't help but think of guys like Werner, Margus Hunt, and Daniel Adongo. Even Haynes got cut from the 49ers.

Call me biased but I just don't see it. There are plenty of guys with just as good measurables as this guy who have more football experience and go 7th round or Undrafted, which is where I'd take him.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'm not jumping on the band wagon of another one of these "intriguing " foreign players. I can't help but think of guys like Werner, Margus Hunt, and Daniel Adongo. Even Haynes got cut from the 49ers.

Call me biased but I just don't see it. There are plenty of guys with just as good measurables as this guy who have more football experience and go 7th round or Undrafted, which is where I'd take him.

Well I think it's not wise to dismiss a prospect purely because previous prospects coming from the same country haven't worked out. Also, Werner's athletic testing was nowhere near the level of this kid for his size and position and also - we are not talking about drafting him day 1 or even day 2.

46 minutes ago, stitches said:

Well I think it's not wise to dismiss a prospect purely because previous prospects coming from the same country haven't worked out. Also, Werner's athletic testing was nowhere near the level of this kid for his size and position and also - we are not talking about drafting him day 1 or even day 2.

It's not that. Most foreign athletes with limited or no American football experience don't pan out. I wasn't just talking about Werner.

This happens every draft. There's some athlete from another country who gets a whole lot of hype despite limited football experience in the U.S. Sometimes they're draft prospects and other times it's a FA. It's always the same result most of the time though.

• 2 weeks later...

On 4/1/2016 at 10:10 AM, OffensivelyPC said:

You were right about where he would go. The Vikings drafted him in the 6th. He is a project.