Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Jets are shopping Mo Wilkerson

Superman

Unless he has some issues that are presently unreported, this is stupid. Pay the man. 

http://nypost.com/2016/03/30/jets-have-month-to-fix-mo-wilkerson-dilemma-they-created/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

He is their best defensive player, probably their best player period. A hybrid interior defensive lineman who gets a ton of sacks, is only 26, and unlike Sheldon Richardson, he doesn't have off field issues. They're up against the cap this year, but they're probably $40m under next year, and aside from Richardson, they don't have any big time free agents coming up, unless you count Geno Smith and Dee Milliner. Maybe they feel they need to clear cap space to re-sign Fitzpatrick.

I can't say that I'd endorse giving up a 2nd for Wilkerson, in addition to the $16m/year he probably wants, but if I could package a 2016 2nd and a conditional 2017 pick, I might be okay with snatching him up. That said, this won't happen.

Yeah I certainly don't see it happening for the Colts. I also don't understand them choosing a guy who gets arrested on multiple charges and obviously makes terrible decisions over this guy. If anybody gets him, they are getting a great player. 

Count me among the ones who don't understand. I believed before the 15 season they would pay the man, but then they picked Leonard Williams. He was by far BPA who fell to them at 6 I believe, and with Richardson, Snacks, Mo and Williams, the line looked incredible. Then Richardson got arrested, and under the circumstances I could not believe they did not do a deal with Wilkerson, and put Richardson out there as trade bait. I don't know how he was not suspended. Regardless, as much money as they spent last year, they made a large mistake, and now salaries at that position in FA have ballooned. They are in cap trouble, so I assume they are going to try and trade him. The only problem, no one is going to give them more than a second. I would be happy to give them a second for an anchor like that, but after Vernon and the Giants, you are talking 18M a year with at least 50M guaranteed. That is the albatross which makes Wilkerson tough to trade, unless you have a lot of salary cap. We could do it, since Andrew's salary is already counted on our cap for this year, and we have plenty of cap going forward, but I highly doubt it. I would love to have him though. I wonder if we gave a second for him, and paid him if the board would be happy, or howling about the money. If you look at our cap going forward, not this year, we could do it, and we need an impact player on the defensive side! I can dream!!!

With Leonard Williams able to slide right into Wilkersons spot this is not a bad move for the Jets, They could move up significantly in the 1st round possibly inside the top 10 (Jets pick 20th) and get the number 1 pass rusher on there board then draft a QB early day 3

Jets are probably looking to devote a bit more cap to the offense.  A stacked dline doesn't need another $16million dollar per year player when the team has no QB.  Let him walk, sign some offense, and draft his replacement in a deep DT draft this year and play that player on a cheap rookie contract for 3 or 4 years.

Here's a Colts scenario in this article:

Trade Partner: Indianapolis Colts
What they get: Muhammad Wilkerson
What Jets get: No. 18 pick in the NFL Draft

The Colts have already traded a first-round pick for a player once before, although it failed miserably as they sent it to Cleveland for the rights to Trent Richardson. Could Jim Irsay be inclined to see if the second time’s the charm?

The Colts, with an estimated $24 million in cap space, have the room to get something done with Wilkerson, and certainly could use some help on the defensive line. With Robert Mathis not getting any younger, they could use another name to be the super star of that defense once Mathis decides to hang up the cleats.

Wilkerson could be that. And the Jets could get back a solid pick in return.

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/02/21/could-cardinals-giants-trade-for-muhammad-wilkerson-examining-options-for-jets/

11 hours ago, Superman said:

I can't say that I'd endorse giving up a 2nd for Wilkerson, in addition to the $16m/year he probably wants, but if I could package a 2016 2nd and a conditional 2017 pick, I might be okay with snatching him up. That said, this won't happen.

I'm confused by this.  Are you saying you wouldn't give up a 2nd, but you would instead, rather give up a 2nd and a conditional 2017 pick?  How is the latter better than the former?

Man that would be hard not to take a good look at him. He would immediately be our best defensive player as soon as he signed his name. Players of his caliber aren't going to come cheap, but the return on investment, I believe, would be worth-while. The DL isn't anywhere near that good that the Colts could turn their backs on an opportunity at getting him. He'd be better than any 1st round DL talent in the draft by a large margin.

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Giving up high draft picks AND then signing the guy to a big contract with a lot of guaranteed money.  

I will pass.  

Besides we don't need as much help on DL as we do in other places.  

Yeah, that's like paying for the same player twice.  

2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I'm confused by this.  Are you saying you wouldn't give up a 2nd, but you would instead, rather give up a 2nd and a conditional 2017 pick?  How is the latter better than the former?

Because I'm dumb. I meant not a 1st.

46 minutes ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Would LOVE to have him. But unfortunately, he isn't an old, back up, average at best kind of player. So Grigson isn't gonna go after him. (Yea, I went there, sorry). 

So you would give up a high draft pick and a huge contract for him would ya?   How has that worked out for other teams that have done that

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

So you would give up a high draft pick and a huge contract for him would ya?   How has that worked out for other teams that have done that

There are some success stories. The Vikings traded high picks for Jared Allen and made him the highest paid defensive player in the league, and he lived up to that contract. The Rams traded high picks for Marshall Faulk and then gave him the biggest contract in team history, which he also lived up to.

And of course, there are plenty of awful examples. But there are probably more first round QB busts than franchise level guys, yet teams still use first rounders on QBs. Like anything else, it has to be the right player, or else none of the other stuff matters.

20 hours ago, Superman said:

Unless he has some issues that are presently unreported, this is stupid. Pay the man. 

http://nypost.com/2016/03/30/jets-have-month-to-fix-mo-wilkerson-dilemma-they-created/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

He is their best defensive player, probably their best player period. A hybrid interior defensive lineman who gets a ton of sacks, is only 26, and unlike Sheldon Richardson, he doesn't have off field issues. They're up against the cap this year, but they're probably $40m under next year, and aside from Richardson, they don't have any big time free agents coming up, unless you count Geno Smith and Dee Milliner. Maybe they feel they need to clear cap space to re-sign Fitzpatrick.

I would imagine the Jets would likely want pretty good picks (multiple) for him. Probably a 2nd and then at least a later 4th. We have to realize that you would have to compensate them for the value he is...and the value they give up (compensatory pick) if he walked in FA after this year. To me they should just keep him and get their compensatory pick when he walks...unless indeed they can't sign Fitz. He is a difference maker on a DL and would give us an interior pass rush that we could pair with a young 1st rd OLB to give us a big boost but with the draft so deep at DT....I'd be hard pressed to pay the money and the picks even though outside Luck we really don't have any valuable players to re-sign in the next couple years : (  The contract would have to be team friendly and no way would we be talking our first rd pick. Honestly they will find someone to take his salary I'm sure (Oakland/Jacksonville/heck the Giants seem to have endless money) but the picks will be what determines it. I'd have a hard time paying the money and giving up more than a 3rd when he will be a FA next year and you can just have him for the money. There are a ton of good possible FAs next year and personally I think Grigson is eying several and that's why he went silent this year.

On March 31, 2016 at 6:56 PM, dgambill said:

I would imagine the Jets would likely want pretty good picks (multiple) for him. Probably a 2nd and then at least a later 4th. We have to realize that you would have to compensate them for the value he is...and the value they give up (compensatory pick) if he walked in FA after this year. To me they should just keep him and get their compensatory pick when he walks...unless indeed they can't sign Fitz. He is a difference maker on a DL and would give us an interior pass rush that we could pair with a young 1st rd OLB to give us a big boost but with the draft so deep at DT....I'd be hard pressed to pay the money and the picks even though outside Luck we really don't have any valuable players to re-sign in the next couple years : (  The contract would have to be team friendly and no way would we be talking our first rd pick. Honestly they will find someone to take his salary I'm sure (Oakland/Jacksonville/heck the Giants seem to have endless money) but the picks will be what determines it. I'd have a hard time paying the money and giving up more than a 3rd when he will be a FA next year and you can just have him for the money. There are a ton of good possible FAs next year and personally I think Grigson is eying several and that's why he went silent this year.

I would give up the first rounder for him in a heartbeat.  Just a matter if you want to pay him the money he seeks.

16 hours ago, jim scheurich said:

Theres a lot of other teams that have more cash than indy. Plus why would u shop around a franchise type player?? doesn't make sense to me...

Because they are extremely deep across their DL. They took Leonard Williams last year, even when they really didn't need to. Williams played well and they could possibly snag a first for Mo while not really losing anything. It would be a win/win for the Jets.

I'd be all over him, as I stated earlier, he would immediately be our best defensive player as soon as he signed the contract. Plus he's only 26 years old. People complain about the team not having any star defensive players then go on and complain about what it costs to get a star player. Gotta pay to play and in my opinion he would be worth it.

1 minute ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Because they are extremely deep across their DL. They took Leonard Williams last year, even when they really didn't need to. Williams played well and they could possibly snag a first for him while not really losing anything. It would be a win/win for the Jets.

I'd be all over him, as I stated earlier, he would immediately be our best defensive player as soon as he signed the contract. Plus he's only 26 years old. People complain about the team not having any star defensive players then go on and complain about what it costs to get a player a star player. Gotta pay to play and in my opinion he would be worth it.

Yeah, agree D needs help. I'd still focus on keeping Luck healthy.

2 minutes ago, jim scheurich said:

Yeah, agree D needs help. I'd still focus on keeping Luck healthy.

Getting Wilkerson wouldn't stop that from happening, however Luck has some work to do for himself as well in terms of keeping himself healthy. It's not just the OL. Coaching has been upgraded, and an added piece on the OL, mainly Center in my opinion, would do the team wonders.

2 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Getting Wilkerson wouldn't stop that from happening, however Luck has some work to do for himself as well in terms of keeping himself healthy. It's not just the OL. Coaching has been upgraded, and an added piece on the OL, mainly Center in my opinion, would do the team wonders.

True... cant argue with that!

Nightmare would be the Titan's or Jags getting him. The Jets will want more than the #18 pick. Most likely #18, a 4th and next years #2. Sure he costs a lot, but you get a very high impact guy that's not lazy and can take over a game.