Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Ravens tried to to buy the Colts' team name for $5 million in 1996

bayone

EXCERPT

Modell had just moved the team from Cleveland, but the new team in Baltimore didn't get the name "Browns" because the NFL had decided that the city of Cleveland would get to keep the Browns' name and history.

Basically, that meant that Baltimore would have to come up with its own name. Instead of actually trying to come up with a name though, Modell had another idea: He would just buy the name "Colts."

Even crazier? The Colts actually thought about accepting the deal.

Colts owner Robert Irsay had suffered a stroke in November 1995 and Jim Irsay, who was general manager at the time, was afraid he wouldn't be able to afford the estate taxes that his family would be hit with if his dad passed away.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25535099/the-ravens-tried-to-to-buy-the-colts-team-name-for-5-million-in-1996

As much as I would have loved the Colts name back then, it all worked out. Baltimore has hosted two historic franchises , the Baltimore Colts and Ravens, while Peyton Manning really gave the Indianapolis Colts their own identity. The Colts were a great name , but the Ravens weren't bad , considering the other names they were considering. If Irsay thought about taking the 25 million back in 1996, it just shows you what Peyton Manning did for him, the Indy fans, and getting the new stadium built. 

Indianapolis Hicks haha just kidding. I love our name, glad we could keep it. The Colts Franchise is special and goes way back from Unitas, Raymond Berry, to Bert Jones, Eric Dickerson, Jim Harbaugh, Peyton, Marvin, Reggie, Bob Sanders, Jeff Saturday, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, and Andrew and it continues.

29 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

If Irsay thought about taking the 25 million back in 1996, it just shows you what Peyton Manning did for him, the Indy fans, and getting the new stadium built.

you're right. i wouldn't have cared much about changing the name in the late 90's. now the notion seems laughable

the shoe shines again

With all of arguing and gnashing of teeth that happened at the time of the Colts move, it never bothered me if the Colts name stayed with the city of Baltimore.

I always liked the name Indianapolis WartHogs.  You can do a lot with that name....

1 hour ago, BlueStallion said:

This begs the question what our home team might have been renamed if the Colts brand had been sold back to Baltimore.  The Racers?  The Mayflowers?   The Naptowners?  Let you imagination run wild.

Cornjerkers

3 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I wouldn't have cared too much as long as we didn't change our name to something as bad as the Pelicans...or the White Tailed Deer(s)

You do make a compelling argument OPC. Picking a weak animal or bird as your logo symbol already makes your team a joke if you choose a pathetic name to represent your franchise. 

I do wonder if Jimmy would have selected another equestrian mascot or not though....INDY Mustangs? No, sounds like that song "Mustang Sally" which opens us up to parody by others. Too easy. INDY Clydesdales? Eh, reminds me too much of the Budweiser beer ads at Christmas time...The Indy Thoroughbreds? Sounds too much like a breeding facility...

1 hour ago, BlueStallion said:

This begs the question what our home team might have been renamed if the Colts brand had been sold back to Baltimore.  The Racers?  The Mayflowers?   The Naptowners?  Let you imagination run wild.

I always thought the 500's would have been a cool name. The Mayflowers would have been funny , along with the Indianapolis Irsays, or Hudnuts ! Lol 

28 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

You do make a compelling argument OPC. Picking a weak animal or bird as your logo symbol already makes your team a joke if you choose a pathetic name to represent your franchise. 

I do wonder if Jimmy would have selected another equestrian mascot or not though....INDY Mustangs? No, sounds like that song "Mustang Sally" which opens us up to parody by others. Too easy. INDY Clydesdales? Eh, reminds me too much of the Budweiser beer ads at Christmas time...The Indy Thoroughbreds? Sounds too much like a breeding facility...

Could have gone with the Indy Limestones?

18 minutes ago, B~Town said:

The Indianapolis Stallions

I was mulling that one over in my mind B-Town. Not bad...My only concern with it is this: 

It reminds me too much of the "Italian Stallion Rocky Balboa" Philly film reference, which reminds me of the Eagles. 

"Yo Adrain, I did it! What's up Mick?" Just goofing around. 

If INDY's state flower is the peony, Then, slap that flower on our helmets, call us the Peony Posse, & if you make fun of our logo, we just have to kick your caboose on the football field right? 

We expand young minds teaching kids about horticulture, state history, & we get in touch with our softer side by demolishing teams that mock this flower....Okay, on second thought...Back to the drawing board...

56c07a4f8bd166b49123efe1f0babd90.jpg

I don't know what Indianapolis would've been if not the Colts.

But I've got no problem -- none at all -- that Baltimore tried to buy the name.    Makes complete sense.

I'm sure Indy would've come up with a good name --- I just don't know what it would've been....   :dunno:       :scratch:

6 hours ago, southwest1 said:

6 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

I always thought the 500's would have been a cool name. The Mayflowers would have been funny , along with the Indianapolis Irsays, or Hudnuts ! Lol 

Indy Racers

12 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

As much as I would have loved the Colts name back then, it all worked out. Baltimore has hosted two historic franchises , the Baltimore Colts and Ravens, while Peyton Manning really gave the Indianapolis Colts their own identity. The Colts were a great name , but the Ravens weren't bad , considering the other names they were considering. If Irsay thought about taking the 25 million back in 1996, it just shows you what Peyton Manning did for him, the Indy fans, and getting the new stadium built. 

I think at the time one of the names being considered for the baltimore franchise was something like the Baltimore Americans. I wouldnt have minded that. Honestly when I first heard the suggestion of the Ravens I wasnt wild about it. But, Ive always been a Colts fan so it didnt matter much to me.

12 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

They chose the "Ravens" because of Edgar Allen Poe, correct?

46 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

I think at the time one of the names being considered for the baltimore franchise was something like the Baltimore Americans. I wouldnt have minded that. Honestly when I first heard the suggestion of the Ravens I wasnt wild about it. But, Ive always been a Colts fan so it didnt matter much to me.

from the article in opening topic comment link at top

According to the Ravens official website, a 24-hour phone poll was held between March 28 and 29 in 1996, and the people of Baltimore had

five names to choose from:

Ravens, Americans, Marauders, Mustangs and Railers.

44 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

I I think it was Americans , because of an old railroad, Mustangs, and Maurauders. Like many years before with the Colts, ownership wisely let the fans decide, and they came back with the Ravens. With the Poe hook, it was the best possible name. 

27 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

They chose the "Ravens" because of Edgar Allen Poe, correct?

Yes. They originally had three Raven mascots also, Edgar, Allen, and Poe. I think they are down to one Raven mascot now. They also had to change the original helmet design because of a lawsuit. The new one is much better. 

8 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Well, at least their not bitter. 

Lol 

In 1996, people would have preferred the Colts name come back, but after a 20 year run with 2 Super Bowls , you would be foolish to not be happy with what you have with the Ravens. Had Irsay never moved, it all would have never happened. We all love the old Baltimore Colts of course, but it's been a great legacy with the Ravens also. If you have been a fan of a city that hosted two great and historic franchises like we have, you have to consider yourself lucky. So while Irsay moving was a bitter pill to swallow , had it not happened, the second great chapter of Baltimore football history would have never occurred. I think people in Baltimore understand this now. 

1 hour ago, theanarchist said:

Americans?  That's worse than Pelicans.

11 hours ago, B~Town said:

The Indianapolis Stallions

Baltimore actually had a CFL team called the Baltimore Stallions. We also had a USFL team called the Baltimore Stars, coached by none other than Jimmy Mora ! 

Incidently, the Stars won the USFL Championship one year, and the Stallions won the Grey Cup, making Baltimore the only city to have teams that have won Super Bowls, a Grey Cup, and a USFL Championship. It just shows you what a weird ride we had back to the NFL in those 12 long years.  

On a side note, the CFL Baltimore Stallions were originally the Baltimore Colts. Irsay , of course sued, and they became the Baltimore CFL Colts, then the Baltimore Stallions. I'm not saying Irsay was wrong to sue to protect his trademark, but this, and Irsay voting against an expansion team for Baltimore , I think, made the bitterness last longer in Baltimore, right or wrong. 

12 hours ago, bayone said:

Indy Racers

I agree that would likely have been the most logical choice outside some random animal name like Wildcats, Bobcats, Wolfpack or Hawks or something.

18 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Could have gone with the Indy Limestones?

We are definitely world reknown for for that. Maybe the Limies lol....I'm sure that would go bad though.

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

I agree that would likely have been the most logical choice outside some random animal name like Wildcats, Bobcats, Wolfpack or Hawks or something.

We are definitely world reknown for for that. Maybe the Limies lol....I'm sure that would go bad though.

If we were the Limies that means we become the British team if my slang is correct