Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Five Round Mock Redux

. Here's another shot at it. Pick # 1 should generate some discussion. 

1. Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama.  He's the best in the draft at a critical need slot. So what if its a bit early.. He'll solve a glaring problem. Take him and don't look back.

2. Kamalei Correa, OLB, Boise State  Intriguing player. He may slip this far in the second round. He's a non stop guy and a great athlete. 

3. TJ Green, FS, Clemson  Adams' replacement in 2017 and a contributor this year. 

4. Spencer Drango, G, Baylor  A solid pass blocker and pretty good run blocker as well. Can start by 2017. Maybe sooner. 

5. DJ Reader, NT, Clemson  We still need help at this position. Reader is great value at this point in the draft, and he can play. 

So, just checked the nfl.com draft profile for Spencer Drango.  They list his NFL comparison as....Mike McGlynn.  Not exactly an overwhelming endorsement. lol

I don't hate this draft, but I'd like it better with a trade back in the first round....and a different 4th round selection :D

Looks pretty good to me.  I would like to trade back in the 1st. but taking Kelly makes so much sense.  Analysts say he can start right away and has future all pro potential. And we all know it's our biggest need.  We have to help Andrew.  If Elliott drops to us he has to be the pick and he still helps Luck.  But I doubt that happens so I hope Kelly is the pick. 

The problem I have with taking Kelly in the first is I don't think we would be maximizing value with that pick. Considering there's lots of good Centres in the draft that we can get between 2-5 (Martin, Teurk, Boehm, Allen, Blythe) coupled with some of the teams other needs (ILB OLB CB NT etc) I don't think it would be wise to take Kelly 1st.

As a player though, I like Kelly. Just hope we don't take him at 18

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I really don't think he's any better than Martin, who would be there at 2. 

And maybe even in round 3. Kelly is good but not #18 overall. People who are saying it'd be like Fredericks in 2013 don't really understand that situation.

With Jim Irsay always saying we are focusing looking on the interior line Center / guard. Pagano said it as well.  look at it through a business point of view if you're investing 130 million in 1player you're going to want some insurance to protect them.  We need a center and a guard desperately no telling what they're going to do with good if he's going to be a tackle or guard but we need to Center. They're saying he's the best center coming out of college in 5 years pro bowl Talent why would you not want him. He's ranked 21st on all Talent .  I'm almost positive they're gonna draft him only makes good business sense

I get the concern about Kelly if you're going to live specifically by the BPA no matter what theory. But if its the BPA at a position of need, Kelly more than fills that need. Honestly, if it comes down to the team's greatest need, it is either Center or Pass Rush. There just aren't that many, if any, choices that will be around for pass rushers when the Colts choose that don't also qualify as a reach.  Kelly is the alpha Center in this draft and maybe the best in years. I say go with the given, which is Kelly, and then get the next best pass rusher, guard, NT, Safety, or ILB with the next pick. 

And, just for the record, what if the Colts pass on Kelly in round 1 and Martin is taken before them in round 2? You've just lost out on the top two centers in the draft and the rest of the group is a crap shoot. I say the Colts take care of their greatest need with Kelly. The most important missing link for the most debated area of the team is now solved. What's not to love?

15 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

And maybe even in round 3. Kelly is good but not #18 overall. People who are saying it'd be like Fredericks in 2013 don't really understand that situation.

So why don't you explain the difference to them?

I really like Kelly, but the defense really needs some impact players like yesterday. IMO after about the 25th pick or so, there is a serious lack of impact players on defense. I`m not overly excited about one EDGE  player in this draft. Some very good DT/NT types that will be gone before the end of the 1st round. So, with that being said, I rather Colts go defense at 18 before OC. There are some decent centers and OG`s with center potential in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Just my 2 cents. Nice job though.

9 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

So why don't you explain the difference to them?

Frederick was taken 31st overall after the Cowboys traded down 13 spots from 18. It wasn't like they took him at 18, which I doubt they would have if they had stayed put. He was a projected 2nd-3rd rounder which means they probably would've taken someone else (like Eric Reid) and got him in the 2nd. Taking him at 31 was no reach since he could've gone in the next 14 picks anyway.

Ryan Kelly isn't necessarily projected as a top 20 pick. So I guess it's similar as well because Travis wasn't projected as high either. But the difference is that the Cowboys didn't take him at 18 like people are saying we should do with Kelly. If we were picking lower or trading down and taking Kelly, then it would be a similar situation.

35 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Frederick was taken 31st overall after the Cowboys traded down 13 spots from 18. It wasn't like they took him at 18, which I doubt they would have if they had stayed put. He was a projected 2nd-3rd rounder which means they probably would've taken someone else (like Eric Reid) and got him in the 2nd. Taking him at 31 was no reach since he could've gone in the next 14 picks anyway.

Ryan Kelly isn't necessarily projected as a top 20 pick. So I guess it's similar as well because Travis wasn't projected as high either. But the difference is that the Cowboys didn't take him at 18 like people are saying we should do with Kelly. If we were picking lower or trading down and taking Kelly, then it would be a similar situation.

I think Josh Norris had him at 19 on his big board, so it varies. But ultimately I think it's unlikely Grigson uses the 18th overall pick on a center, given comments he's made about the position in the past.

2 hours ago, Track Guy said:

I think Josh Norris had him at 19 on his big board, so it varies. But ultimately I think it's unlikely Grigson uses the 18th overall pick on a center, given comments he's made about the position in the past.

He also had 3 WRs in the top 15.  (EDIT: Check that, he had FOUR). Just sayin...

9 hours ago, MPStack said:

I really like Kelly, but the defense really needs some impact players like yesterday. IMO after about the 25th pick or so, there is a serious lack of impact players on defense. I`m not overly excited about one EDGE  player in this draft. Some very good DT/NT types that will be gone before the end of the 1st round. So, with that being said, I rather Colts go defense at 18 before OC. There are some decent centers and OG`s with center potential in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Just my 2 cents. Nice job though.

I get your thinking. It just seems to me that the Colts are laying off signing a free agent center because they believe they can draft a guy who can step up and have the ability to start immediately. If that is the case, Ryan Kelly is the guy. It would not shock me to see them go there. If they can hornswaggle some team into trading a mid 20's pick to them along with an early 3rd or 4th for their 18 pick, and they can still get Kelly, how could you not be good with that? But that is likely wishful thinking. 

8 hours ago, Track Guy said:

That would be the highest I've seen him. He's a top 50 player but I wouldn't place him In the top 20, or 25 even. He's somewhere between 30-45 IMO

If they traded down into the late, late 1st rd and selected Kelly I would be okay with it. The Colts could sure use some more draft picks, but then again we`d be talking about missing out on a potential impact defensive player. Frankly I don`t care what position (hopefully front 7) but there is a serious drop off in talent after about the first 25 picks, which figures to be defensive heavy IMO. There are starting centers to be had in rds 2-3.  

Jeremiah has him as #31 on his big board, and I have seen him at about that position consistently. I would love to trade down into the late 20's and get him and an extra pick, but draft picks are so valuable, it is tough to trade out. Everything I have read has him as a ready to go, plug him in and he can play right now. He comes from a Pro system, which most do not these days, so it is another plus. Look is it a little bit of a reach at 18, yes. In the end though, in 5 years we have a center who solidified the line, who cares he went a few picks too high. I think teams get caught at times in the first round, afraid to go after what they want and need. If we cannot trade out, grab him. If we do not, then I would say we need to seriously consider trading up in the second and hope he is still there!

20 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

That would be the highest I've seen him. He's a top 50 player but I wouldn't place him In the top 20, or 25 even. He's somewhere between 30-45 IMO

I don't think he makes it past the Jaguars.

This would be an awesome draft in my opinion. Kudos in particular on the Reader pick in the 5th round. I think he will surprise. 

I am not terribly fond of TJ Green from Clemson in the 3rd round. I prefer someone like Deion Jones from LSU. He has the size and athleticism to be a Deonne Bucannon type player in my opinion. 

I am curious if we might be able to trade back with a team such as Denver and pick up their 2nd round pick. I could see them interested in Paxton Lynch if he is still on the board at #18. 

On 3/30/2016 at 9:23 PM, Hoose said:

I get the concern about Kelly if you're going to live specifically by the BPA no matter what theory. But if its the BPA at a position of need, Kelly more than fills that need. Honestly, if it comes down to the team's greatest need, it is either Center or Pass Rush. There just aren't that many, if any, choices that will be around for pass rushers when the Colts choose that don't also qualify as a reach.  Kelly is the alpha Center in this draft and maybe the best in years. I say go with the given, which is Kelly, and then get the next best pass rusher, guard, NT, Safety, or ILB with the next pick. 

And, just for the record, what if the Colts pass on Kelly in round 1 and Martin is taken before them in round 2? You've just lost out on the top two centers in the draft and the rest of the group is a crap shoot. I say the Colts take care of their greatest need with Kelly. The most important missing link for the most debated area of the team is now solved. What's not to love?

This guy could be a good one if the other centers are taken....

Max Tuerk, C, USC 
Height: 6-5. Weight: 298. 
Projected 40 Time: 5.15. 
Projected Round (2016): 3-4. 

3/5/16: Tuerk played well for USC in 2015 before going out for the year with a knee injury. He showed serious quickness and athleticism in the middle of the Trojans' line. The senior could stand to be more powerful and violent for the NFL, but he showed up at the Combine almost 15 pounds heavier than his listed weight, so he is on his way to filling out his frame. Tuerk wasn't healthy enough to work out at the combine. 

8/15/15: Tuerk played really well at center in 2014. He was a steady performer in the middle of a USC line that did a quality job of blocking for running back Buck Allen and quarterback Cody Kessler. There is talk that Tuerk will move to right tackle in 2015. At his listed weight and strength, he would be a better fit at center in the NFL. 

Tuerk has been a quality blocker for USC since being inserted into the starting lineup as a freshman in 2012. Over three years, he has 14 starts at left guard, 13 at center, five at left tackle and one at right tackle. NFL teams will love his versatility for game days. 

Tuerk has improved as he's gained experience and has some natural ability as a pass-blocker. Tuerk also has some length and athleticism, and while his run blocking has improved, he still needs to add more bulk to take on NFL defensive linemen. Tuerk should be able to fill out his frame more. He has the upside to
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2016C.php#CoJTO5kVpyC8CuHM.99