Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your 2016 Draft Unpopular Opinion Thread

Whats your unpopular opinion to do with this draft??! I'll start:

After Jalen Ramsey, William Jackson III will be the best Cornerback from this class by a longshot. He's got all the tools, great hands, size, speed, he can play outside or inside. He just needs to work on his footwork a bit. If he puts it all together he could easily be a top 10 Cornerback in the league. I keep trying to find ways to mock him to the Colts, but after the Robinson signing I don't think it's a possibility with Davis, Robinson, Smith, and Butler. 

So whats one/a couple of your unpopular opinions regarding the 2016 Draft?

If W. Jackson fell to the 2nd round I`d be all for the Colts drafting him. However, I don`t think that he does and P. Robinson filled a huge void in the secondary. I`m with you on Jackson though, he`s going to be pretty good IMO.

43 minutes ago, RealityIsLuck said:

Smith,

not trying to be overly critical of your post, but smith has shown nothing.  he could be out of the league in a few years if that doesn't change pretty soon

i just read that the average nfl career is not even three years long these days.  smith is in danger of joining that statistic if he doesnt produce

My opinion which I think would be unpopular is that the interior of the OL isn't addressed until later picks.  I think three of the first four picks go to D, with DE/OLB, ILB, and S being taken in some order.  And I think there will be a meltdown from fans as pick after pick goes and no OL is called... 

Besides that most here don't share my opinion on Leonard Floyd going to be a good to great pass rusher. I'd say I like the idea of going WR in the first if it came to pass, Not my first choice but I like a couple guys in the 1st

I have a few actually. I like William Jackson a lot too btw.

Noah Spence is the best pass rusher in this class and will be a dominant double digit sack EDGE rusher.

Rashard Robinson will be one of the best CB's to come out of this draft.

Joey Bosa will not be a dominant pass rusher.

Derrick Henry has all the makings of a bust.

Karl Joseph will be an elite, top 5 safety, in the mold of.........Yes, Earl Thomas when all's said and done.

Deion Jones will be a steal in the 3rd, and will be a very, very good LB.

Tyler Higbee will be a very good starting TE in the NFL.

Evan Boehm will be a steal in the 4th or so, and come in and start and ball out from week 1 on.

Shawn Oakman will absolutely suck in the NFL.......LOL.

5 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I have a few actually. I like William Jackson a lot too btw.

Noah Spence is the best pass rusher in this class and will be a dominant double digit sack EDGE rusher.

Rashard Robinson will be one of the best CB's to come out of this draft.

Joey Bosa will not be a dominant pass rusher.

Derrick Henry has all the makings of a bust.

Karl Joseph will be an elite, top 5 safety, in the mold of.........Yes, Earl Thomas when all's said and done.

Deion Jones will be a steal in the 3rd, and will be a very, very good LB.

Tyler Higbee will be a very good starting TE in the NFL.

Evan Boehm will be a steal in the 4th or so, and come in and start and ball out from week 1 on.

Shawn Oakman will absolutely suck in the NFL.......LOL.

Agree with everything but Spence and Robinson. Granted, I know nothing about Robinson, so I can't judge him fairly. Spence I don't trust at all, I think he'll be a complete bust whether it be character or talent. I think he's the bust of the draft besides Nkemdiche.

4 hours ago, aaron11 said:

not trying to be overly critical of your post, but smith has shown nothing.  he could be out of the league in a few years if that doesn't change pretty soon

i just read that the average nfl career is not even three years long these days.  smith is in danger of joining that statistic if he doesnt produce

I don't know where in this world this comes from?

Do you know that Smith was injured for almost the entire season?

He played in a grand total of 4 games.    On special teams.

4 hours ago, aaron11 said:

We don't know anything about Smith yet man. None of us do. But I will tell you he has the talent and skillset to be a good corner. But we didn't get to see him play really. So we have no idea what he's going to do. Basically he's going to be like another rookie this season. So wait and judge him after we see him play a few games this coming season. Hopefully he beats out Butler and becomes a very good nickel for us the next several years.

46 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know where in this world this comes from?

Do you know that Smith was injured for almost the entire season?

He played in a grand total of 4 games.    On special teams.

remember they were asking for unpopular opinions here.  he was bad in camp and preseason so thats what we have to go by.  it might be too soon to bring up career length, i'm just thinking back to how quickly many of our recent picks have busted

4 hours ago, Gavin said:

Besides that most here don't share my opinion on Leonard Floyd going to be a good to great pass rusher. I'd say I like the idea of going WR in the first if it came to pass, Not my first choice but I like a couple guys in the 1st

Then we could brag endlessly about the colts wide receivers!!!  Hooray!

4 hours ago, BOTT said:

Then we could brag endlessly about the colts wide receivers!!!  Hooray!

I think its highly unlikely Grigson goes WR at 18...Slim to none. However we do need another big physical wr to pair with Moncrief in my opinion. Though that can be had late

I think this is an incredibly WEAK draft! I do not feel there are any elite players and no can't miss players. 

I think our best bet in the 1st round is Ryan Kelly, C Alabama. It is not a glamorous pick, but an incredibly solid pick that will dramatically enhance our offensive line play. Hopefully we can trade back in the 1st and add an extra 3rd round pick and take him. 

Leonard Floyd screams bust to me. He reminds me a great deal of Barkevious Mingo. 

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Just to bring Elliott up again, if we take him the people that Post here may lose their mind. At least 90% of them. I do see a few that think we should take him if he's there. I think he will get Drafted before 18 though.

I agree, he won't make it to us.  I'm seeing that he is climbing the ranks on scouts draft boards every day.  He has become one of the few 'can't miss' picks it seems.  Teams have their pretty much set and 'their guy' listed up top.  If that guy is there (and not an RB) they'll take him.  But the first team where 'their guy' is no longer on the board, and Elliot is there, then I believe that's where he goes. And it will be in the top half of the draft.  This is the rare guy that breaks the 'don't draft an RB in round one' mold.

11 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think Floyd will be special and has a chance to be the best pass rusher in this class.

Noah Spence=Johnathan Newsome. He'll be a 8 sack a year guy at best. And he'll fall out of the first round.

Floyd wasn't the best on his team, that would be Jordan Jenkins. We should target Jenkins in the 3rd and jump all over Spence if he drops to 2nd as you say he will.

I like Floyd but very concerned with his lack of desire to be

physical. I think it's his lean frame. I know he fattened up for weigh ins but so did a lot of other tweeners such Gregory and others from last year but they lost the weight once drafted. Floyd also is having trouble finishing pro day & combine already because of one thing or another. That's scary.

16 minutes ago, JRnINDY said:

Floyd wasn't the best on his team, that would be Jordan Jenkins. We should target Jenkins in the 3rd and jump all over Spence if he drops to 2nd as you say he will.

I like Floyd but very concerned with his lack of desire to be

physical. I think it's his lean frame. I know he fattened up for weigh ins but so did a lot of other tweeners such Gregory and others from last year but they lost the weight once drafted. Floyd also is having trouble finishing pro day & combine already because of one thing or another. That's scary.

If he had an issue being physical, they wouldn't have had him playing ILB at Georgia. But, people are putting too much into his size. Mathis isn't big or powerful. He wins with speed and technique. Floyd is the same. He'll probably play at 250 at the next level and he won't be asked to play the run that often. He'll cover and rush the passer , which is what he does best. Easily the most explosive edge rusher in the draft.

19 hours ago, RealityIsLuck said:

Whats your unpopular opinion to do with this draft??! I'll start:

After Jalen Ramsey, William Jackson III will be the best Cornerback from this class by a longshot. He's got all the tools, great hands, size, speed, he can play outside or inside. He just needs to work on his footwork a bit. If he puts it all together he could easily be a top 10 Cornerback in the league. I keep trying to find ways to mock him to the Colts, but after the Robinson signing I don't think it's a possibility with Davis, Robinson, Smith, and Butler. 

So whats one/a couple of your unpopular opinions regarding the 2016 Draft?

Don't agree about Jackson.  He is too stiff and gets juked or burned often on double moves and dig routes..

ce3f61bdd08f19aec5c5b23a0b506932.gif

5d17ebcff5d0d517eb4904c747d60844.gif

He has lot's of tools for sure, but somehow think they are more useful in a cover 3 / zone type of defense.  I beleive I'd rather have a slightly shorter guy that can turn on a dime and has an incredible vertical leap then a taller guy that can't change directions very well.

17 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Don't agree about Jackson.  He is too stiff and gets juked or burned often on double moves and dig routes..

ce3f61bdd08f19aec5c5b23a0b506932.gif

5d17ebcff5d0d517eb4904c747d60844.gif

He has lot's of tools for sure, but somehow think they are more useful in a cover 3 / zone type of defense.  I beleive I'd rather have a slightly shorter guy that can turn on a dime and has an incredible vertical leap then a taller guy that can't change directions very well.

Yes! Someone else that thinks that way too. He's good but I feel like he's better for a Tampa 2 defense

14 hours ago, aaron11 said:

remember they were asking for unpopular opinions here.  he was bad in camp and preseason so thats what we have to go by.  it might be too soon to bring up career length, i'm just thinking back to how quickly many of our recent picks have busted

Fair point.    My bad.        :peek:

Tyler Higbee is the best TE in this years draft by a margin.

Drafting offensive line early in this draft if unnecessary based on our needs IMO. This is the first draft in a while that contains a plethora of interior linemen talent. There are several centers and guards that could become great players in the league in the mid rounds.

Karl Joseph is going to be the best ball hawking safety since Earl Thomas.

Kamalei Correa is going to be the best pass rusher to come out of this draft class IF he plays OLB in a 3-4.

Jonathan Williams should be the 2nd RB taken in this draft class. If he was not injured he would be in the discussion for the #1 running back in this draft class with Elliot.

16 minutes ago, Moncrief said:

Yes! Someone else that thinks that way too. He's good but I feel like he's better for a Tampa 2 defense

Yes, it seems he would be much better playing downhill than press/man schemes.  Even there I'm not fully convinced.  Compare him to Kelvin Hayden, who the Colts drafted in Round 2 in 2005 for our Tampa 2 defense. Hayden was 6'0" and 194 lbs. and ran a 4.45 in the 40 yd dash.  William Jackson III is 6'0" and 189 lbs. and ran 4.37 in the 40.  Their 3 cone times were almost identical at 6.87 for Hayden and 6.86 for Jacksom.  But here is where a true difference shows-  the 20 yard shuttle (agility drill)

Kelvin Hayden    -     3.90

William Jackson III  - 4.32

I don't think you can coach that up in a press defense.  That's one of the reason I feel this way, and a lot of tape shows it up too.  He is a risk taker which adds to his getting burned ability.  Just my opinion though.

25 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

Tyler Higbee is the best TE in this years draft by a margin.

I beg to differ and offer this rebuttal:

name    overall rank

Hunter Henry (21)
Austin Hooper (54)
Nick Vannett (62)
Jerell Adams (85)
Henry Krieger-Coble (105)
Bryce Williams (133)

-----------
Tyler Higbee (167)

Drafting offensive line early in this draft if unnecessary based on our needs IMO. This is the first draft in a while that contains a plethora of interior linemen talent. There are several centers and guards that could become great players in the league in the mid rounds.

Karl Joseph is going to be the best ball hawking safety since Earl Thomas.

Kamalei Correa is going to be the best pass rusher to come out of this draft class IF he plays OLB in a 3-4.

Who knows.  I think Noah Spence is the best pass rusher, but there is too much at stake to take him in round 1 for the Colts

Jonathan Williams should be the 2nd RB taken in this draft class. If he was not injured he would be in the discussion for the #1 running back in this draft class with Elliot.

I think there are other RB's that could turn out just as well. Devontae Booker, Alex Collins, CJ Prosise, Kenyan Drake, Kenneth Dixan, Tyler Ervin, Paul Perkns, etc...  ( I refuse to list Derrick Henry due to Ingram, Lacy, Richardson RB's from Alabama).  But that's what makes the draft so appealing... the differing opinions.  We can all read up best we can and pick out or favorites/hopefuls and root them on.  We all know is will be 3 years down the road before we know how it all shakes out.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

If he had an issue being physical, they wouldn't have had him playing ILB at Georgia. But, people are putting too much into his size. Mathis isn't big or powerful. He wins with speed and technique. Floyd is the same. He'll probably play at 250 at the next level and he won't be asked to play the run that often. He'll cover and rush the passer , which is what he does best. Easily the most explosive edge rusher in the draft.

The guy couldn't finish his Pro Day workout due to 'stomach issues'...not exactly screaming toughness to me.  This also come after not being able to finish the Combine with a hamstring issue.  I am not impressed by Floyd anyway (at least not at 18), but after his Pro Day I definitely am not on board.  I also find it interesting that Georgia moved such an amazing pass rusher to the inside, but I don't know Georgia football all that well...just seems like if you have a guy as 'special' as Floyd you'd put him on the outside and let him eat the QB up.  One last thing, you bring up Mathis being small and not powerful, but I believe it is you that always says that is the exception, not the rule...I could totally be off on that, and I apologize if so.

14 minutes ago, Traines said:

The guy couldn't finish his Pro Day workout due to 'stomach issues'...not exactly screaming toughness to me.  This also come after not being able to finish the Combine with a hamstring issue.  I am not impressed by Floyd anyway (at least not at 18), but after his Pro Day I definitely am not on board.  I also find it interesting that Georgia moved such an amazing pass rusher to the inside, but I don't know Georgia football all that well...just seems like if you have a guy as 'special' as Floyd you'd put him on the outside and let him eat the QB up.  One last thing, you bring up Mathis being small and not powerful, but I believe it is you that always says that is the exception, not the rule...I could totally be off on that, and I apologize if so.

I wouldn't question his toughness based on those minor incidents. Happens all the time. A Hamstring ends a lot of combine days early. And the issue at the pro day was said to be food poisoning.

And Georgia like is LB central. They get really creative with their LB's there. They move a ton of guys around. I'm not even sure they have a true base set in their D. Floyd got moved around more than anyone because of his special skill set. He's fast enough to be left in man or zone coverage. But he's also quick and instinctive enough to be lined up in the middle. And his length and motor make him a force outside. 

And yes, Mathis is the exception to the rule, not the rule. That's why we should like Floyd. Dominant pass rushers usually look like him. 6'5" with long arms, and terrific play speed. Just because he isn't 260 doesn't mean he won't be effective. 

15 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I wouldn't question his toughness based on those minor incidents. Happens all the time. A Hamstring ends a lot of combine days early. And the issue at the pro day was said to be food poisoning.

And Georgia like is LB central. They get really creative with their LB's there. They move a ton of guys around. I'm not even sure they have a true base set in their D. Floyd got moved around more than anyone because of his special skill set. He's fast enough to be left in man or zone coverage. But he's also quick and instinctive enough to be lined up in the middle. And his length and motor make him a force outside. 

And yes, Mathis is the exception to the rule, not the rule. That's why we should like Floyd. Dominant pass rushers usually look like him. 6'5" with long arms, and terrific play speed. Just because he isn't 260 doesn't mean he won't be effective. 

I agree, the hammy at the Combine is probably not indicative of his toughness, but following that up with food poisoning on your pro day...I don't know, it's minor in a lot of ways, but it just doesn't sit well with me...your Pro Day is a pretty big part of the process and you just quit...

You're clearly more of a fan than I am, I just do not see it.  Yeah, he has the traits and he put up the workout numbers, but he does not have the production on the field where it matters.  Maybe he was moved around because he is so athletic and versatile as you say, but I do not believe you move a 'special' pass rusher inside to cover on passing downs...makes zero sense to drop him in coverage when he is "a force outside".

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

name    overall rank

Hunter Henry (21)
Austin Hooper (54)
Nick Vannett (62)
Jerell Adams (85)
Bryce Williams (133)

-----------
Tyler Higbee (167)

Who knows.  I think Noah Spence is the best pass rusher, but there is too much at stake to take him in round 1 for the Colts

I think there are other RB's that could turn out just as well. Devontae Booker, Alex Collins, CJ Prosise, Kenyan Drake, Kenneth Dixan, Tyler Ervin, Paul Perkns, etc...  ( I refuse to list Derrick Henry due to Ingram, Lacy, Richardson RB's from Alabama).  But that's what makes the draft so appealing... the differing opinions.  We can all read up best we can and pick out or favorites/hopefuls and root them on.  We all know is will be 3 years down the road before we know how it all shakes out.

With your rebuttal I don't base my opinion on a ranked list. I base my opinion off of game film I have watched. After watching game film on the TEs I believe that Tyler Higbee will be the best TE to come out of this draft class. That is my unpopular opinion. I also believe Higbee would be higher on ranked lists if he didn't get hurt during this last season.

Again Correa being the best pass rusher in the draft is my unpopular opinion. Spence is a flashy name, and has shown some massive potential, but it really depends how he puts it all together when he gets to the next level. Correa I believe is the safer pick of the two based off of the combination of off the field issues to talent shown on the field.

As far as running backs go you are right. There are several RBs that could turn out just as well. The same could be said about several positions and players. I believe based on the 2014 season that Jonathan Williams has the potential to be as good as Elliot if not better. He was considered one of the top running backs in the nation prior to his injury. I may be in the minority, but I believe he will return from his injury better than ever, and be a dominant back in the NFL.

We will see who was right and who was wrong down the road from now. These are just my unpopular opinions on the draft.

6 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

{snipped nice response}

We will see who was right and who was wrong down the road from now. These are just my unpopular opinions on the draft.

That's what makes the draft so entertaining to us fans.  I've given up trying to outperform the ex-pros in the business, and instead rely on their in depth scouting reports to determine fit for our team/scheme and to what extent i saw the same things.  If they see it and I didn't, I lean toward their side being right and I (being a fan) missed it.

But even those pros miss, and you could well hit on your longshots.  Do it time and again, and you should consider getting into the NFL business, if you are not already.  :-)

27 minutes ago, Traines said:

I agree, the hammy at the Combine is probably not indicative of his toughness, but following that up with food poisoning on your pro day...I don't know, it's minor in a lot of ways, but it just doesn't sit well with me...your Pro Day is a pretty big part of the process and you just quit...

You're clearly more of a fan than I am, I just do not see it.  Yeah, he has the traits and he put up the workout numbers, but he does not have the production on the field where it matters.  Maybe he was moved around because he is so athletic and versatile as you say, but I do not believe you move a 'special' pass rusher inside to cover on passing downs...makes zero sense to drop him in coverage when he is "a force outside".

http://www.macon.com/sports/college/university-of-georgia/bulldogs-beat/article30285420.html

http://www.fieldstforum.com/2015/08/03/will-floyd-play-more-ilb-than-olb/

This pretty well ends the discussion of why Floyd was moved around so much, From Mark Richt and the d coordinator

21 minutes ago, Gavin said:

http://www.macon.com/sports/college/university-of-georgia/bulldogs-beat/article30285420.html

http://www.fieldstforum.com/2015/08/03/will-floyd-play-more-ilb-than-olb/

This pretty well ends the discussion of why Floyd was moved around so much, From Mark Richt and the d coordinator

I believe game films say otherwise and my concerns on him as the 18th pick as an edge rusher are justified. 

Heres a fair read on Floyd.

2016 NFL Draft: Leonard Floyd fails to deliver at Georgia pro day

10471.png
Rob Rang  / The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

March 16, 2016 09:24 PM

Georgia's 6-foot-6, 244-pound edge rusher Leonard Floyd captured the imagination of every defensive coordinator in the NFL last month at the combine in exactly 4.60 seconds.

Floyd's surprisingly speedy 40-yard dash time was reinforced with an eye-popping 39.5-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-7 broad jump in Indianapolis, proving the raw explosiveness which helped Floyd lead the Bulldogs in sacks the past three years was quantifiable.

Before scouts could get too excited, however, Floyd pulled his hamstring in Indianapolis, abruptly ending his workout.

Eager to see the projected first-round pick (and the rest of a talented class of Bulldogs) perform these same drills, representatives of all 32 teams attended Georgia's pro day on Wednesday. Among the noteworthy attendees were NFL headliners like Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, Billshead coach Rex Ryan, Giants general manager Jerry Reese and a sizeable contingent from the "hometown" Falcons, including general manager Thomas Dmitroff and head coach Dan Quinn.

The A-list crowd, unfortunately, was again left wanting more from Floyd.

After initially creating some buzz by weighing in four pounds heavier than he did in Indianapolis last month, Floyd surprised scouts by opting not to participate in the bench press (he didn't do the bench in Indianapolis, either) and later leaving his positional workout early because of stomach issues.

"It wasn't an injury," Floyd told D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "It was more that I ate something for breakfast, and I had a messed-up stomach. I couldn't keep going."

In between, Floyd was clocked at 4.32 seconds in the short shuttle and 7.18 seconds in the 3-cone. These are times which would have ranked among the best amid pass rushers tested in Indianapolis.

"Look, he's a very good football player and very athletic. He's got the size and the arm length, and has a lot of what people are looking for," Dimitroff said, according to Jason Butt of Macon.com. "Unfortunately, we didn't get to see a full workout here."

The inability to finish a second workout could be seen as a bit of a red flag to scouts, especially given that Floyd comes with plenty of question marks already.

While boasting the length (including 33 1/8-inch arms) and quick-twitch athleticism to harass quarterbacks as an edge rusher, Floyd's relatively spindly frame and lack of ideal functional strength make him a potential liability in the running game.

Further, while Floyd's opportunities to rush the quarterback dropped as he was moved all over Georgia's defense, he simply wasn't as productive as his hype suggests. The 6.5 sacks Floyd recorded as a redshirt freshman dropped to six in 2014 and to just 4.5 last season.

The NFL is a sucker for edge rushers, and with private visits already set up with the Raiders and Colts in the next 10 days (according to Butt), Floyd won't have to wait long before his next opportunity to prove he deserves to be a first-round pick.

Among other highlights from the Georgia Pro Day:

• While Floyd's unique traits generated more attention at Georgia, fellow edge rusher Jordan Jenkins was the more productive player throughout much of their respective careers together. As such, perhaps it wasn't surprising that Jenkins again came up big while Floyd faltered. The 6-foot-3, 257-pound Jenkins improved in the vertical jump (38 inches), broad jump (10 feet, 3 inches) and bench press (19) and also had a strong positional workout, I'm told.
  • Given that he recorded the fastest 40-yard dash time of any skill-position player invited to the combine, scouts didn't expect running back Keith Marshall to do many of the timed drills on Wednesday but he showed zip changing directions in the 3-cone (6.98 seconds) and while running through positional drills, and he caught the ball cleanly.
  • Georgia's other two potential top-100 picks -- offensive tackle John Theus and wide receiver Malcolm Mitchell -- each elected to sit on their combine workout results and performed only positional drills. Scouts are quite familiar with these two long-time starters and Senior Bowl participants and were pleased, I'm told, with how each competed during their portion of the workout.

Leonard Floyd left scouts wanting more at Georgia's pro day. (USATSI)

Leonard Floyd left scouts wanting more at Georgia's pro day. (USATSI)

7 minutes ago, JRnINDY said:

I believe game films say otherwise and my concerns on him as the 18th pick as an edge rusher are justified. 

Heres a fair read on Floyd.

2016 NFL Draft: Leonard Floyd fails to deliver at Georgia pro day

10471.png
Rob Rang  / The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

March 16, 2016 09:24 PM

Georgia's 6-foot-6, 244-pound edge rusher Leonard Floyd captured the imagination of every defensive coordinator in the NFL last month at the combine in exactly 4.60 seconds.

Floyd's surprisingly speedy 40-yard dash time was reinforced with an eye-popping 39.5-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-7 broad jump in Indianapolis, proving the raw explosiveness which helped Floyd lead the Bulldogs in sacks the past three years was quantifiable.

Before scouts could get too excited, however, Floyd pulled his hamstring in Indianapolis, abruptly ending his workout.

Eager to see the projected first-round pick (and the rest of a talented class of Bulldogs) perform these same drills, representatives of all 32 teams attended Georgia's pro day on Wednesday. Among the noteworthy attendees were NFL headliners like Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, Billshead coach Rex Ryan, Giants general manager Jerry Reese and a sizeable contingent from the "hometown" Falcons, including general manager Thomas Dmitroff and head coach Dan Quinn.

The A-list crowd, unfortunately, was again left wanting more from Floyd.

After initially creating some buzz by weighing in four pounds heavier than he did in Indianapolis last month, Floyd surprised scouts by opting not to participate in the bench press (he didn't do the bench in Indianapolis, either) and later leaving his positional workout early because of stomach issues.

"It wasn't an injury," Floyd told D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "It was more that I ate something for breakfast, and I had a messed-up stomach. I couldn't keep going."

In between, Floyd was clocked at 4.32 seconds in the short shuttle and 7.18 seconds in the 3-cone. These are times which would have ranked among the best amid pass rushers tested in Indianapolis.

"Look, he's a very good football player and very athletic. He's got the size and the arm length, and has a lot of what people are looking for," Dimitroff said, according to Jason Butt of Macon.com. "Unfortunately, we didn't get to see a full workout here."

The inability to finish a second workout could be seen as a bit of a red flag to scouts, especially given that Floyd comes with plenty of question marks already.

While boasting the length (including 33 1/8-inch arms) and quick-twitch athleticism to harass quarterbacks as an edge rusher, Floyd's relatively spindly frame and lack of ideal functional strength make him a potential liability in the running game.

Further, while Floyd's opportunities to rush the quarterback dropped as he was moved all over Georgia's defense, he simply wasn't as productive as his hype suggests. The 6.5 sacks Floyd recorded as a redshirt freshman dropped to six in 2014 and to just 4.5 last season.

The NFL is a sucker for edge rushers, and with private visits already set up with the Raiders and Colts in the next 10 days (according to Butt), Floyd won't have to wait long before his next opportunity to prove he deserves to be a first-round pick.

Among other highlights from the Georgia Pro Day:

• While Floyd's unique traits generated more attention at Georgia, fellow edge rusher Jordan Jenkins was the more productive player throughout much of their respective careers together. As such, perhaps it wasn't surprising that Jenkins again came up big while Floyd faltered. The 6-foot-3, 257-pound Jenkins improved in the vertical jump (38 inches), broad jump (10 feet, 3 inches) and bench press (19) and also had a strong positional workout, I'm told.
  • Given that he recorded the fastest 40-yard dash time of any skill-position player invited to the combine, scouts didn't expect running back Keith Marshall to do many of the timed drills on Wednesday but he showed zip changing directions in the 3-cone (6.98 seconds) and while running through positional drills, and he caught the ball cleanly.
  • Georgia's other two potential top-100 picks -- offensive tackle John Theus and wide receiver Malcolm Mitchell -- each elected to sit on their combine workout results and performed only positional drills. Scouts are quite familiar with these two long-time starters and Senior Bowl participants and were pleased, I'm told, with how each competed during their portion of the workout.

Leonard Floyd left scouts wanting more at Georgia's pro day. (USATSI)

Leonard Floyd left scouts wanting more at Georgia's pro day. (USATSI)

The whole thing about comparing Jenkins production to Floyd is mute given Jenkins played in 14 more games then Floyd so he should have more production...But Jenkins has 2 more sacks than Floyd in his career, Only 12 more TFL's as well. That's also with Floyd playing a lot of ILB this year.....Falcons GM even said he could be a top 10 selection. Not that he will be top 10 but he has the kind of talent but I'd bet he goes in the top 15-20

6 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

name    overall rank

Hunter Henry (21)
Austin Hooper (54)
Nick Vannett (62)
Jerell Adams (85)
Bryce Williams (133)

-----------
Tyler Higbee (167)

Devontae Booker is already 25 years old. Will be 26 by the time the season rolls around. He is going to go way too high in the draft for a RB his age.

The most unpopular thing you can say is that Derrick Henry is going to be amazing.  He's 6'3" 247 lbs.  A 4.54 40 yard dash.  37 " vertical.  THe same measurables as Von Miller.  None of the other Alabama RBs could claim this kind of athleticism.  So, I predict his 1st running play from scrimmage, he's going to bowl over a defensive player and shock the NFL.  Do I really believe it?  Hhhhmm, if he eats at the same buffet as Eddie Lacy, then he will NOT.  If he has the right attitude, then he has a chance.