Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My ideal draft

1) Andrew Billings - DT - I would originally have liked Shaq Lawson here but the recent mocks seem to have going higher and his combine performance was awfully uninspiring anyway. Billings on the other hand moved really well for his size and just added to the good impression his tape creates. Reminds me a little of Danny Shelton and really would make our defensive line a strength to build around with the additional penetration he provides.

2) Scooby Wright - ILB - Some people are going to say that this is too high but I'm not so sure. Productive, instinctive and ultra smart player. Less than ideal measurable but give me playmakers over athletes every time and I believe he's a difference maker as an inside linebacker in our system.  

3) Kyler Fackrell - OLB - Prototype outside linebacker in my view who brings nice productivity and athleticism. 

4) Jack Allen - C - I don't personally think there's that much between Allen and the supposed top rated centers in the draft but he hopefully falls all the way down here because he's viewed as undersized. I love the kid though and is just what I want in a center, tough, smart, competitive and hopefully makes the whole line better by upgrading our weakest line position. 

5) James Cowser - OLB - Really think we need more more dynamism from our OLB's so don't mind doubling down on that spot. Record breaking productivity at albeit at a questionable level. Nice measurables and the awards and achievements  and stats speak for themselves as a guy who can add to our pass rush. 

7) Kevin Byard - S - Another productive and smart player who gives us youth and depth in an area we need. His stats, write ups and tape all look relatively impressive and I'd be delighted to get him in this spot.

Overall I know that people aren't going to like the lack of attention I've given to the O-Line but given the pick of Allen we'd have 4 of the 5 starters that I'd be more than happy with and hopefully Thornton, Good (or even Harrison!) could hold their own at the 5th spot or even get in a middling free agent to fill that role.

The guys that I've picked though reflect the team I'd like us to become. A real defensive difference maker in the first round and then tough, productive, and apparently smart guys through the rest of the picks. Hopefully upgrading our pass rush and given us a real core to go forward with. 

Not a bad draft IMO. I actually think that the center position is the missing link to stabilizing the Oline and being a respectable unit. New coaching staff and possible scheme change could do a lot of positives for the line. I`m all about a defensive draft like this.

Great draft and I would not be upset if the draft fell like that.  I could see Daniel Lasco or Willie Beavers being the pick in the 5th assuming that either one or both are there but I think that this draft would hit the large areas of need and get quality players with good upside.

Just to add Kentrell Brothers or BJ Goodson could be guys in the 2nd and 3rd rounds should you need to draft Fackrell earlier.

20 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

I would be happy with this draft. I really like your Kevin Byard pick in the 7th. He is one of my sleepers in this draft. I still think the 2nd is high for Wright based off of his combine performance.

I partly agree about Wright but I wasn't expecting him to impress at the combine anyway. He's all about instincts.

His tape just reminds me so much of Borland who everyone said was too short, too unathletic and lacking explosion. He made plays though, just like Wright, and I can't ignore that. 

Nice draft, but I think we are going OL earlier than the 4th. round.  Elliot will be the pick if he falls. If he goes before 18 I think we will try to trade back and take Kelly later in the 1st. round.  If we can't trade back I think they bite the bullet and take Kelly anyway.  Now another possibility is trading a pick for a young starting center,  not necessarily the 1st pick.  We did that to get Vontae.  Regardless they have to get a high quality center.  It's our biggest need.  Maybe a team looking for a quarterback at 18 trades us a starting center and their no.2.  My mind is open to everything. 

16 hours ago, SheCame1st said:

Only Thing That Is Wrong To Me Is That You Waited Until The 4th To Draft An Offensive Lineman. Arguably Our Biggest Need Besides Pass Rush And That Doesn't Get Addressed Until The 4th? Makes No Sense.  

It's not like we need tackles though. For  me we don't need to spend high draft picks on the offensive line positions we need. The current Superbowl champions have a center who was an undrafted free agent, the best Colts center of our generation was the same, we don't need a number 1 or 2 pick in that area to make us better,

I'm more interested in getting a workable and solid offensive line but a massively upgraded defense rather than the other way around.  

I am perfectly fine with the premise of your draft, I am not up to speed enough to speak on individuals selected beyond the top few rounds, but in principal this is what I have been advocating. I don't want a guard or center with a first round pick because as good as an Alex Mack is, I don't want to be paying a C, RG double digit millions per year after his rookie contract, its like "rent-a-stud" and then back to square 1. And that's if your pick is a hit, there is a possibility that O-lineman is a dud......so a lose lose scenario in my book. More Defense is needed, even if we field a good 11 on D, depth is paper thin at best, and non existent at other positions....if they executed a draft like this they would actually be "building a monster" for the first time. Of course we need a few years of this approach to actually be in ownership of a monster....year one is more of ankle biter, year two, a knee licker, year 3 a junk yard dog, and year four a monster.

I love Billings at 18 and could get behind the rest of the draft. Man do I think you got in wrong in the 2nd. Scooby isn't going to translate in the NFL. I like the rest but we can't spend a top 50 pick on a question mark who had one good season. 

I think anyone who takes Wright the first 2 days is going to be very disappointed. He doesn't have the size or atheltic  ability I would want at ILB. It was painful watching him try to change direction that was before the knee and get blown up by FB's while blitzing. He struggles in space. He's pass coverage non existent, he can't flip his hips and shadow downfield. Everyone points to his instincts and you can clearly see he has great instincts but even in college the instincts would get him in position but against the better skill players he's athletic ability would fail him. He isn't a sure tackler to begin with. He is a system guy that will not hold up in the NFL. 

There are going to be a lot of players avaliable when we pick in the 2nd. We can do better than Scobby.  I  see a handful of pass rushers that could be had there Calhoun Correa maybe Dodd and Spence too. We would have our pick of interiot OL. There will be help on the back end. Anything but an athelically challenged undersized ILB who lacks coverage skills. 

On March 25, 2016 at 9:41 AM, ClaytonColt said:

1) Andrew Billings - DT - I would originally have liked Shaq Lawson here but the recent mocks seem to have going higher and his combine performance was awfully uninspiring anyway. Billings on the other hand moved really well for his size and just added to the good impression his tape creates. Reminds me a little of Danny Shelton and really would make our defensive line a strength to build around with the additional penetration he provides.

2) Scooby Wright - ILB - Some people are going to say that this is too high but I'm not so sure. Productive, instinctive and ultra smart player. Less than ideal measurable but give me playmakers over athletes every time and I believe he's a difference maker as an inside linebacker in our system.  

3) Kyler Fackrell - OLB - Prototype outside linebacker in my view who brings nice productivity and athleticism. 

4) Jack Allen - C - I don't personally think there's that much between Allen and the supposed top rated centers in the draft but he hopefully falls all the way down here because he's viewed as undersized. I love the kid though and is just what I want in a center, tough, smart, competitive and hopefully makes the whole line better by upgrading our weakest line position. 

5) James Cowser - OLB - Really think we need more more dynamism from our OLB's so don't mind doubling down on that spot. Record breaking productivity at albeit at a questionable level. Nice measurables and the awards and achievements  and stats speak for themselves as a guy who can add to our pass rush. 

7) Kevin Byard - S - Another productive and smart player who gives us youth and depth in an area we need. His stats, write ups and tape all look relatively impressive and I'd be delighted to get him in this spot.

Overall I know that people aren't going to like the lack of attention I've given to the O-Line but given the pick of Allen we'd have 4 of the 5 starters that I'd be more than happy with and hopefully Thornton, Good (or even Harrison!) could hold their own at the 5th spot or even get in a middling free agent to fill that role.

The guys that I've picked though reflect the team I'd like us to become. A real defensive difference maker in the first round and then tough, productive, and apparently smart guys through the rest of the picks. Hopefully upgrading our pass rush and given us a real core to go forward with. 

Yeah. I like the players you've chosen but I really dislike like the idea of neglecting our O-line. But the players you've chosen are good, although I'd switch your 2nd and 3rd round picks. That will be more realistic. 

7 hours ago, Track Guy said:

Yeah. I like the players you've chosen but I really dislike like the idea of neglecting our O-line. But the players you've chosen are good, although I'd switch your 2nd and 3rd round picks. That will be more realistic. 

I've reflected on the feedback - including yours - and you may be right about a couple of things.

I still don't think we need early round talent to fill our O-Line needs though. However, given how high I'm taking Wright (and possibly Billings) I'm thinking we could trade back a bit while still making the same choices and pick up an additional 4th to select someone like Connor McGovern who I also really like.

In addition to that signing someone like Louis Vasquez through free agency should ensure that we've given the line the necessary chance to improve. He might not be an ideal fit for our scheme going forward but he gives a veteran option alongside the other young lads.

My ideal draft looks something like this

1. OLB - Noah Spence - Plays with a big motor and tremendous endurance. Had eight-sack season as a sophomore at Ohio State. Plays at same speed throughout the game. Good up field burst. Has played with hand in the ground and standing. Won't give away leverage by engaging too early in pass rush. Has solid speed to the edge with a strong rip move at the top of his rush to turn the corner. Takes good angles around the rush arc. Quick lateral slide down the line to restrict running lanes. Plays with a sense of desperation when the ball is in his area. Eludes lead blockers and cut ­blocks. Pursues around the field looking to scoop up tackles.

2. C - Nick Martin - Loves to play the game as physically as he can. Plays with a mean streak and then some. Finishes a block with authority if he gets the advantage. Showed ability to anchor and play with strengths against power across from him. Usually first into defender after snap. Despite some hip stiffness, moves fairly well when asked to get out in front of screen plays. Keeps head on a swivel at all times. Aware of both gaps when in pass protection and he's uncovered. Plays with wide base in pass pro. Often first to get hands on pass rusher and will get some extension early in the rep. Gets the most out of average length. Team captain and unchallenged leader up front. Has started at guard and center while at Notre Dame so may offer roster flexibility.

3. S - Karl Joseph - Team captain and impactful Leader. Plays with passion and a deep love of the game. Play-making safety with man cover ability and plus ball skills. Took reps heads up against Sterling Shepard. Quick to get head around and find the ball and always opts to try and take the ball away rather than break up the pass. Leaper who challenges the high­-point. Finished with nine career interceptions and five this season in just four games. Plays run and pass with great urgency. True high/low option with toughness for the box and straight line speed to play rangy center field. Can pedal and shift from deep zone. Wolf looking for his next meal as a hitter.

4. DT - Sheldon Day - Has experience at defensive end and tackle. Outstanding quickness off snap and is into gaps before you know it. Noticeably quicker than guards attempting to block him when rushing from inside. Rusher with a pre-­snap plan and a quality counter moves if initial rush is thwarted. Uncommon athleticism for a squatty body type. Fluid drops into space on zone blitzes with unheard of ability to mirror and match receivers in zone. Quick hands and wastes no time shedding single blocks.

5. OLB - De'Vondre Campbell - NFL­-caliber athleticism. Looks the part on the hoof with thickness through bubble and thighs with tapered calves. Has the quick­-twitch to respond suddenly and explode towards the ball. Possesses quality chase speed to close down running backs looking to turn the corner, but runs under control. Uses length for expanded tackle radius. Plays with ready hands and often strikes first blow against blockers while looking to shed. Has played in the middle and outside.

7. ILB - Antonio Morrison - Ultra competitive with unmatched intensity. Alpha male in the locker room who teammates gravitate toward. Work ethic on full display as he recovered from a severe knee injury two to three months ahead of schedule and in time for start of the season. Plus lateral quickness. Has burst to beat offensive lineman to a spot. Not content to sit back and wait on a play. Always in attack mode. Uses explosive hips to launch into his tackles with as much force as he can.