Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

:Lots of talk about ILB being a priority....

theanarchist

8 hours ago, theanarchist said:

Agree

8 hours ago, theanarchist said:

Agree

9 hours ago, MPStack said:

The bottom line is Grigs really needs to nail the 1st round pick. I don`t really care what position it is other than a WR. Hopefully, it`s an impact plug and play day one starter. Also, hoping Ragland is not the choice, but if he was and produced somewhat like say a P. Willis I`d have no issues. Ragland could be that nasty player the Colts lack, but have my doubts.

Yea pretty much this. If Grigs drafts another Bjoern Werner or Philip Dorsett with the #1 im sure he will be shown the door and if he is not Irsay is an *(nothing against Phillip, but he didnt exactly show to be an impact starter last year as a #1 pick more of take it slow WR like we did with Moncrief). 

The wild card here is Sio Moore. This guy was a really good young player for the Raiders his first two years and I think he really has some potential to be very good, inside or outside.

But they seem to see him as strictly an OLB. When he got snaps last year on defense, they were always on the outside. And they had some opportunities to get him in the middle if they wanted and instead went with Josh McNary who isn't very good IMO.

Maybe they feel like he can upgrade the rush with a year under his belt and don't see it as a huge need? In that case they might feel like Ragland has great potential in the middle and with the loss of Freeman and the age of DQ its a bigger need than we realize. 

I know most of you guys don't think there is any good pass rushers to be had at 18. I disagree with that 100%. I see both Leonard Floyd and Noah Spence as potential premier, double digit sack EDGE rushers. I'd be happy with either of those guys at 18. As far as ILB goes. I think Sio Moore can be a pretty good player if he starts next year. He's strong and athletic and can be the sideline to sideline ILB we've been needing. Or Irving could start and play well if healthy. He's a big 2 down thumper but he's a force against the run. But if the staff isn't really high on either of those guys there's some really good prospects to be had in the 2nd and 3rd who could come in and start day 1. Deion Jones, Scooby Wright, Kentrell Brothers, and Sua Cravens. Or Terrence Smith or Josh Perry in the 4th could come in and compete with Moore and Irving. I've even seen people talk about Fackrell as an ILB because of his coverage ability, and his play vs the run. I like these smaller, quicker, faster, more athletic guys who excel in coverage actually. Jones and Cravens would be killer next to DQ. Or....We could just sign Karlos Dansby for a year and get a ILB in the 1st or 2nd in next years draft or free agency. Dansby can still play. LOL he's better than DQ so......But there's 2 things that absolutely have to be done in this draft. Fix the OL and get a pass rusher. Getting Floyd or Spence in the 1st, Whitehair in the 2nd, Deion Jones, Kentrell Brothers, or Scooby Wright in the 3rd, and Evan Boehm, Austin Blythe in the 4th should drastically improve our team, and I'm gonna stick with my opinion on Floyd and Spence even though it seems pretty unpopular LOL.

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I know most of you guys don't think there is any good pass rushers to be had at 18. I disagree with that 100%. I see both Leonard Floyd and Noah Spence as potential premier, double digit sack EDGE rushers. I'd be happy with either of those guys at 18. As far as ILB goes. I think Sio Moore can be a pretty good player if he starts next year. He's strong and athletic and can be the sideline to sideline ILB we've been needing. Or Irving could start and play well if healthy. He's a big 2 down thumper but he's a force against the run. But if the staff isn't really high on either of those guys there's some really good prospects to be had in the 2nd and 3rd who could come in and start day 1. Deion Jones, Scooby Wright, Kentrell Brothers, and Sua Cravens. Or Terrence Smith or Josh Perry in the 4th could come in and compete with Moore and Irving. I've even seen people talk about Fackrell as an ILB because of his coverage ability, and his play vs the run. I like these smaller, quicker, faster, more athletic guys who excel in coverage actually. Jones and Cravens would be killer next to DQ. Or....We could just sign Karlos Dansby for a year and get a ILB in the 1st or 2nd in next years draft or free agency. Dansby can still play. LOL he's better than DQ so......But there's 2 things that absolutely have to be done in this draft. Fix the OL and get a pass rusher. Getting Floyd or Spence in the 1st, Whitehair in the 2nd, Deion Jones, Kentrell Brothers, or Scooby Wright in the 3rd, and Evan Boehm, Austin Blythe in the 4th should drastically improve our team, and I'm gonna stick with my opinion on Floyd and Spence even though it seems pretty unpopular LOL.

Josh Perry in the....     4th?!?

He'll never get out of the 3rd and might even go in the 2nd....

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Josh Perry in the....     4th?!?

He'll never get out of the 3rd and might even go in the 2nd....

When I watch him I see a guy who has the play recognition of a low 1st or high 2nd round player and the tackling ability of a 1st round player  but he has limited range and change of direction is a bit stiff. I watched him vs Michigan State and thought that was all pretty plain to see. Now I think he can go in the 3rd based on his play recognition skill and his tackling ability but do to his lack of sideline to sideline speed and that he is a bit stiff I could see him going in the 4th, I don't think he goes in the 2nd however but again it only takes 1. I would not draft him in the 2nd however and I'd have other guys ahead of him in the 3rd

11 minutes ago, Gavin said:

When I watch him I see a guy who has the play recognition of a low 1st or high 2nd round player and the tackling ability of a 1st round player  but he has limited range and change of direction is a bit stiff. I watched him vs Michigan State and thought that was all pretty plain to see. Now I think he can go in the 3rd based on his play recognition skill and his tackling ability but do to his lack of sideline to sideline speed and that he is a bit stiff I could see him going in the 4th, I don't think he goes in the 2nd however but again it only takes 1. I would not draft him in the 2nd however and I'd have other guys ahead of him in the 3rd

Well....      just to play it safe,  I just double-checked my three favorite websites....   and two like him a lot, and one.....  well,  much lower than I ever would've guessed...

-- ESPN    73rd --  high 3rd round

-- NFL.com   172nd -- low 5th round

-- CBS Sports.com   48th -- mid 2nd round.

I'm not sure which is the bigger outlier....   whether NFL.com is way too low,  or CBS is too high?    Perhaps both.

Interestingly enough,  both ESPN and NFL have Perry as an inside linebacker,  while CBS seems him as an outside linebacker.     Hmmm?

This will be one worth watching to see if any of the three re-evalute him in the days leading up to the draft....

9 hours ago, Gavin said:

I think he's the best pure tackler in the draft. His technique is consistent and flawless. He wraps up and drives the runner down every time. A bit stiff because of his size. Keuchly is what I would call a "loose" 240, whereas Perry is a "tight" 240. But his numbers are really good for a guy his size.

He's a 3rd-4th round prospect IMO.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 9:08 AM, B~Town said:

These are the ILBs on the roster I see a major need at ILB

Sylvestre, Junior is this the guy you want starting in a playoff game ?

Moore, Sio hasn't showed he is the same player after his injury

Jackson, Edwin who ...

Jackson, D'Qwell  will we get lucky and get another good year from the vet and will he be suspended

Irving, Nate seems to have the injury bug

Herrera, Amarlo I doubt anyone wants to see him starting in the playoffs

I see a few young unproven guys a few guys we a hoping gets back to form and a solid vet closing in on the end of his career . It's time to draft the stud ILB of the future . How many of those player you expect to be on the roster after this season ? 

There has been a lot of talk about improving the line esp. the center . See a story every other day about colts staff working out lineman .

Rush LB I see a need there hope we don't reach none of the early prospects excite me at all .

Yikes...that just makes me realize how much losing Freeman opens up a whole in our defense. I agree that ILB is a draft need. Does that mean we get one in the first...not necessarily..but it's a need and it will have to be addressed I believe in the early rds. While I do think a pass rushing OLB is our greatest need...we obviously have to see how the board plays out. OLB, ILB, OL, and DT I think we will focus on a majority of our picks...with perhaps a look at S if a value pick falls there. I can't imagine with the current roster we have that we can afford the luxury of spending our picks in any different areas. We desperately need both LB positions...and lots of competition on the OL for sure. I believe the Dorsett pick last will end up being a very good pick and we see now how it will help us going forward to matchup with TY and Dante....but I gotta think a position of need this year will tip the scale if its close between prospects on our board in value...and LB (rush or inside) will have to be high up there in terms of need.

Looking closely at those guys I'm not sure I see a starter to put alongside DQ. Sio is intriguing and maybe he will be a guy that can perhaps help in our pass rush as a blitzing backer or occasionally on the outside...and Nate I think can be a solid contributor as a back up to DQ...but I would be scared to have any of those lbs dropping in coverage or worry that they will hold up the entire year. I'm sure we will look at backers in free agency (usually some cuts after the draft and of course during camp) so we can still add to this list but I can't help but think a young stud in the first couple rds is being targeted.

Don't get me wrong, I love the passion folks display during draft season.  It's invigorating.  Yet, It still baffles me sometimes to see people talking up all of the draft picks up and down the line/rounds like they will come in a be impact players from day one.  Nothing could be further from the truth (unless your team is truly trash).  Pro Football Focus evaluated draft picks over the years and the -

"bottom line is you are doing well if your rookie plays at an above average level in his first season in the league. There isn’t a single position that projects first year players to perform better than the league average and some positions project them to play far below it. Though the NFL has become all about immediate results, despite notable exceptions, the draft still remains about acquiring talent for the future and not necessarily the present."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/07/16/position-progression-edge-rushers/

Gil Brandt evaluated the top 5 picks (should be impact players, right?)  from the each draft from the last 4 years-

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000647117/article/andrew-luck-khalil-mack-among-best-topfive-picks-since-2012

Names like, Justin Blackmon, Dion Jordan, Trent Richardson, RG III, Luke Joeckel, Brandon Scherff, Matt Kalil, Greg Robinson, Eric Fisher. etc...  How many of these are true impact players for their teams right now?  If a top 5 pick doesn't pan out as much as folks would like, how about all the other picks and rounds?  I just think we elevate these guys too fast.  We see what they could very well be in 3-4 years, and expect it from the moment they step onto the field.  This is why if a GM hits on (solid player contribution for a few years)greater than 55% of his draft picks, he'll go to the HOF (IE: Bill Polian).

I love the excitement of the draft and recognize these players replace old and retiring players.  But all of the players we like that we don't get end up on other teams that we may to play. That is why it is so important for the guys getting a paycheck (Grigson/Pagano and scout staff) to do this better than the next guy(s) collect a check; let alone media draft analysts and fans.

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Don't get me wrong, I love the passion folks display during draft season.  It's invigorating.  Yet, It still baffles me sometimes to see people talking up all of the draft picks up and down the line/rounds like they will come in a be impact players from day one.  Nothing could be further from the truth (unless your team is truly trash).  Pro Football Focus evaluated draft picks over the years and the -

"bottom line is you are doing well if your rookie plays at an above average level in his first season in the league. There isn’t a single position that projects first year players to perform better than the league average and some positions project them to play far below it. Though the NFL has become all about immediate results, despite notable exceptions, the draft still remains about acquiring talent for the future and not necessarily the present."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/07/16/position-progression-edge-rushers/

Gil Brandt evaluated the top 5 picks (should be impact players, right?)  from the each draft from the last 4 years-

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000647117/article/andrew-luck-khalil-mack-among-best-topfive-picks-since-2012

Names like, Justin Blackmon, Dion Jordan, Trent Richardson, RG III, Luke Joeckel, Brandon Scherff, Matt Kalil, Greg Robinson, Eric Fisher. etc...  How many of these are true impact players for their teams right now?  If a top 5 pick doesn't pan out as much as folks would like, how about all the other picks and rounds?  I just think we elevate these guys too fast.  We see what they could very well be in 3-4 years, and expect it from the moment they step onto the field.  This is why if a GM hits on (solid player contribution for a few years)greater than 55% of his draft picks, he'll go to the HOF (IE: Bill Polian).

I love the excitement of the draft and recognize these players replace old and retiring players.  But all of the players we like that we don't get end up on other teams that we may to play. That is why it is so important for the guys getting a paycheck (Grigson/Pagano and scout staff) to do this better than the next guy(s) collect a check; let alone media draft analysts and fans.

I agree both teams and fans expect immediate results and often don't give the player the time and resources to develop. But, unfortunately for better or worse the players brought this on themselves... Teams need to see some early return on their investment, but FA causes many player's contracts to be up just when they might be able to begin contributing; and teams can't afford to gamble on new contracts and roster spots on a unproven question marks. 

14 minutes ago, esmort said:

I agree both teams and fans expect immediate results and often don't give the player the time and resources to develop. But, unfortunately for better or worse the players brought this on themselves... Teams need to see some early return on their investment, but FA causes many player's contracts to be up just when they might be able to begin contributing; and teams can't afford to gamble on new contracts and roster spots on a unproven question marks. 

"But, unfortunately for better or worse the players brought this on themselves"

If an underclassman declares for the draft despite clearly not being ready then yes I agree its partially his fault...But only partially. Now when Sr's enter the draft they do so not having a choice....They don't have another year of eligibility and have to enter the draft. Which means going to a team in many cases where the Coordinator does not know how(Or refuses to alter his scheme just a bit) to get the best out of the players skills and he either is set up to fail or rots on the bench not learning anything beyond the Playbook....And that happens to players no matter when they came out

12 minutes ago, Gavin said:

"But, unfortunately for better or worse the players brought this on themselves"

If an underclassman declares for the draft despite clearly not being ready then yes I agree its partially his fault...But only partially. Now when Sr's enter the draft they do so not having a choice....They don't have another year of eligibility and have to enter the draft. Which means going to a team in many cases where the Coordinator does not know how(Or refuses to alter his scheme just a bit) to get the best out of the players skills and he either is set up to fail or rots on the bench not learning anything beyond the Playbook....And that happens to players no matter when they came out

A much better refined definition of the Colts in the last 4 years concerning the offense and defense. Thank goodness that's changed.

30 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

We're weak on O Line, and Defense. Can hardly wait and hear 'With the 18th pick,the Indianapolis Colts pick Christian Hackenberg, Penn St quarterback'....

Anybody seen that dufus button?

I don't really see a whole lot of good ILB prospects in this draft to be honest with you.  Not ones that have any chance of being available for the Colts this year.  Ragland is about the best of the bunch outside of Brothers and some hybrid guys like Sua Cravens.