Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Predict the "Gem"

Ok, so last year, IMO, Henry Anderson ended up being the "gem" of our draft.  He was drafted in the 3rd, but ended up starting and playing better than some 1st rounders from other teams last year.  You could probably say the same about Parry playing solid as a 5th rounder.

Who do you think will be our "gem" this year?

I saw a mock draft with the Colts taking Devontae Booker (RB - Utah) in the middle rounds.  Perhaps he would see significant playing time if Gore got injured.

I know this is kind of a silly crap-shoot to predict, but it's still something fun to think about leading up to the draft. :worms:

11 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Ok, so last year, IMO, Henry Anderson ended up being the "gem" of our draft.  He was drafted in the 3rd, but ended up starting and playing better than some 1st rounders from other teams last year.  You could probably say the same about Parry playing solid as a 5th rounder.

Who do you think will be our "gem" this year?

I saw a mock draft with the Colts taking Devontae Booker (RB - Utah) in the middle rounds.  Perhaps he would see significant playing time if Gore got injured.

I know this is kind of a silly crap-shoot to predict, but it's still something fun to think about leading up to the draft. :worms:

Kentrell Brothers ILB. I have really started to like him and would be so happy if we got him in the 3rd round. Has grown each season in college, and broke out last year in a huge way leading the nation with 152 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, 2 1/2 sacks, 2 INTs, three pass breakups, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery, and three blocked kicks. He can do it all and can lead our linebacking corps. A leader that we need on this team that can be special.

13 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Kentrell Brothers ILB. I have really started to like him and would be so happy if we got him in the 3rd round. Has grown each season in college, and broke out last year in a huge way leading the nation with 152 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, 2 1/2 sacks, 2 INTs, three pass breakups, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery, and three blocked kicks. He can do it all and can lead our linebacking corps. A leader that we need on this team that can be special.

10 minutes ago, MTC said:

Wisconsin OLB Joe Schobert

I like both these guys.  With the age of Jackson, Cole, and Mathis, we need some young high-motor guys that can help out the LBers this year.

12 minutes ago, MSColtsFan said:

Matt Judon, who will be picked early enough to draw the ire of fans, but who will deliver on the field. 

He looks good, but I don't know if he would see the field enough as a rookie unless Anderson or Langford have lingering injury issues throughout the season.  He might be a gem 2 or 3 seasons down the road when he is starting though. :thmup:

12 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Joe Dahl OG Wash St. Played OT, but projects well inside in a ZBS.

D. Houston-Carson FS William & Mary Nice size at 6-1 201 and played corner for 3 years before moving to FS. 

8 minutes ago, Traines said:

Karl Joseph, Safety, West Virginia

He's a playmaker; INTs, big hits, forced fumbles...does it all.  Reminds me of Ed Reed, would make a great pairing with Geathers.

I love me some ball-hawking DBs.  Plus I was born in WV, so I'm all for adding a Mountaineer to the Colts. :rock:

17 minutes ago, Traines said:

Karl Joseph, Safety, West Virginia

He's a playmaker; INTs, big hits, forced fumbles...does it all.  Reminds me of Ed Reed, would make a great pairing with Geathers.

Ed Reed? More like Mike Singletary playing safety.  He even has "Singletary Eyes".  If I played offense, the last thing I want to see on the other side of the LOS is "Singletary Eyes"...

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Ed Reed? More like Mike Singletary playing safety.  He even has "Singletary Eyes".  If I played offense, the last thing I want to see on the other side of the LOS is "Singletary Eyes"...

LOL, definitely!  I like everything that I have watched and read on this kid.  Been following him for the last couple of seasons after seeing him tear it up on ESPN one night.  He is real similar in size to Reed and he is a playmaker like Reed, INTs, Fumbles, big hits, etc...playing next to Geathers would make a pretty nasty duo IMO!

Just now, Traines said:

LOL, definitely!  I like everything that I have watched and read on this kid.  Been following him for the last couple of seasons after seeing him tear it up on ESPN one night.  He is real similar in size to Reed and he is a playmaker like Reed, INTs, Fumbles, big hits, etc...playing next to Geathers would make a pretty nasty duo IMO!

I don't remember Reed being the hitter that Joseph is, but I think Reed is the greatest ball-hawking safety ever.  Either way, with the age of Adams, Joseph could see significant time on the field and be the "gem" of our draft. :thmup:

Justin Simmons, S, Boston College.  6'2, 205, 4.61 forty at Combine (4.51 at PD).  3.85 short shuttle, 6.58 3-cone, and 40" vertical at Combine.  So, he's got good size and speed, and great quickness.  On the field, he's solid all around and is a great form tackler.

4 hours ago, stitches said:

Sean Davis out of Maryland is a beast with size and good athleticism, probably would need to be moved to safety, but I think he will be a steal if he is drafted past round 2.

I like him a lot, but he pretty much replicates Geathers position..... when Adams retires, we'd have 2 SS...no FS

Wendell Smallwood RB WVU http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/wendell-smallwood?id=2555461

Hopefully a late round gem.

"The Big 12's leading rusher in 2015 was Smallwood, in a bit of an upset over bigger names like Oklahoma's Samaje Perine and Baylor's Shock Linwood. He rushed for 1,519 yards and nine touchdowns in 13 games, while also catching 26 passes out of the backfield for 160 yards, in what proved to be his final year with the Mountaineers after filing for early entry into the 2016 NFL Draft."

3 hours ago, Archer said:

Justin Simmons, S, Boston College.  6'2, 205, 4.61 forty at Combine (4.51 at PD).  3.85 short shuttle, 6.58 3-cone, and 40" vertical at Combine.  So, he's got good size and speed, and great quickness.  On the field, he's solid all around and is a great form tackler.

His 40 time at the Combine was a concern for me. I'm happy he ran better at his pro day cause everything else is there. What round do you think he'll be drafted?

49 minutes ago, gacker65 said:

Miles Killebrew:  6'2". 4.65- 40. 38"  vert, 127" (10' 7") long jump

Brings hit on tackles.  Average in coverage, but what I saw, seems to get to receiver

I like Killebrew, but he reminds me of Bob Sanders.

That should sound like praise, but I'm worried about him being able to play in the NFL the same way he played in the NCAA.

Sanders is one of my favorite Colts of all time, but the way he played... he couldn't be counted on for more than a few games at a time.  I'm worried Killebrew would be good for 2-3 games before he is on IR...

3 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I like Killebrew, but he reminds me of Bob Sanders.

That should sound like praise, but I'm worried about him being able to play in the NFL the same way he played in the NCAA.

Sanders is one of my favorite Colts of all time, but the way he played... he couldn't be counted on for more than a few games at a time.  I'm worried Killebrew would be good for 2-3 games before he is on IR...

I was too, until I saw his size.  help convince me he should be able to hold up.

4 hours ago, SP_21 said:

His 40 time at the Combine was a concern for me. I'm happy he ran better at his pro day cause everything else is there. What round do you think he'll be drafted?

I don't know.  Walter.com has him sneaking into the 2nd, but others have 5th or later (if at all).  It's kinda hard with these guys who scouts consider all year to be physically limited, but really good college players...then they have a really good workout that shows they are actually quite athletically gifted.  I think the scouts start wondering what they are missing - something they saw along the way made them think they weren't great athletes.  I'd have to guess Simmons ends up late 3rd, early 4th, ballpark.   Joe Walker, ILB, Oregon is the exact same way.  I think scouts were floored that he looked like an elite athlete at his PD...

2 guys I really like and a sleeper. KeiVarie Russell CB Notre Dame He has 2nd day talent and would have shot up draft boards after the combine like Darby did last year after the 40. He ran a 4.34 last spring. NFL.com projected him as a combine freak. Like a lot of Irish his season ended early. He broke his leg right before the season ending game vs Stanford. Again like Darby he doesn't have ideal length he is a solid 5'11 192llbs but excels in man coverage. The mocks have him all over the place. CB is deep this year. If he really falls to day 3 he will be a steal for some one. Whenever he goes he is a solid #2 CB with a higher ceiling.  I think he could switch to FS very easily. He isn't shy vs the run, plays the ball in front of him very well, and makes plays. 

Marshaun Coprich who everyone probably knows after his 4.38 40 at the combine. He's really fast. His skill set has been compared to Sproles. He's 5'9 195. He can pound it between the tackes better than he gets credit for. We talked to him today.

The he sleeper is A large 6''2 202 WR from a small school S. Missouri. He's raw but has huge upside 

10 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Bob Sanders helped us win a SB.  It took lots of hate and doubt from the Colts fan base, but Bob Sanders helped us win a SB.

I'm not recalling the hate and doubt......  Noone was particularly miffed at trading back and drafting a S.....no one hated on Bob for being hurt a bunch, we all saw what the D was when he was in.  It just sucked that he couldn't stay healthy.

On 3/24/2016 at 0:36 PM, MPStack said:

Joe Dahl OG Wash St. Played OT, but projects well inside in a ZBS.

D. Houston-Carson FS William & Mary Nice size at 6-1 201 and played corner for 3 years before moving to FS. 

Gil Brandt, who is very good at looking at talent loves Joe Dahl. He is one of his 10 most underrated

offensive prospects. Below is the link for anyone who wants a good read.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000646037/article/ten-most-underrated-offensive-prospects-in-2016-nfl-draft

He also has a defensive side of underrated players well worth a read. He has been a good judge of talent, imo over the years.