Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tyrone Holmes. Edge Rusher. Montana 18 Sacks

I chose this kid as one of my selections when I did my mock draft a month or so back.

Montana prospect reminds Vikings coach of Everson Griffin

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000646353/article/montana-prospect-reminds-vikings-coach-of-everson-griffin

Here are the results from his pro day:

Defensive end Tyrone Holmes -- 6-foot-2 1/4, 253 pounds

40 yard dash   4.6 seconds

3 cone drill       7.1 seconds

20-yard short shuttle 4.28 seconds

Bench Press  28 reps of 225 pounds

Holmes led all of FCS in sacks with 18 in 2015, topping the sack totals of some other notable 2016 NFL Draft prospects: South Carolina State's Javon Hargrave (13.5), Stony Brook's Victor Ochi and Southern Utah's James Cowser (13.0), and Eastern Kentucky's Noah Spence (11.5).

There's some noteworthy small school guys in this draft with good measurables.  I like Judon and Holmes the most.

As I was telling Colts449 yesterday I didn't realize how big Judon is at 6'3" and 275lbs with a 4.7 40.  It wouldn't surprise

me at all if Grigson grabbed one of these guys when it's all said and done. We all know he scouts into the deepest pits.

My only thing with both of these guys from my film study is they both seem to be mostly hand in the dirt style

pass rushers versus stand up.  Although I have seen Holmes rush from a stand up position before.  To me it's cool to take a

lower round guy and switch them off to a 3-4.  If it doesn't work you just cut them. I think both of these guys are athletic enough

to make the transition.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I still think we will need to select an edge rusher high, but there are some intriguing small school guys that we could bolster the pass rush with in the later rounds.

maybe he could be a future Robert Mathis...based on later round draft.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I still think we will need to select an edge rusher high, but there are some intriguing small school guys that we could bolster the pass rush with in the later rounds.

I wish there was an EDGE worthy enough of a high round pick.  I like the crop of CBs and DTs in the first round and I'm afraid that any edge rusher taken in the first would be a reach.  Improve the pass rush via better coverage and DT push and ride Cole and Mathis for another year.   Take the edge rushers in the later rounds and develop them.   That's not the perfect situation, but I don't think the college talent supports a different strategy at this point without reaching for a player fairly badly.  JMO.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I wish there was an EDGE worthy enough of a high round pick.  I like the crop of CBs and DTs in the first round and I'm afraid that any edge rusher taken in the first would be a reach.  Improve the pass rush via better coverage and DT push and ride Cole and Mathis for another year.   Take the edge rushers in the later rounds and develop them.   That's not the perfect situation, but I don't think the college talent supports a different strategy at this point without reaching for a player fairly badly.  JMO.

I'm not of the opinion that one definitely needs to be taken 1st round. When I say high I mean rounds 1-3.  It could be any of those.  I like Camalei Correa quite a bit as a direct 3-4 defense scheme fit in the 2nd round. I'm even okay with Leonard Floyd OUTSIDE of the first round. Spence fits, but he's got the Ecstacy red flags so the Colts will likely pass unless he does one hell of an interview when the meet with him.   And I think we could top it off by adding a guy like Holmes or Judon late for example.

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm not of the opinion that one definitely needs to be taken 1st round. When I say high I mean rounds 1-3.  It could be any of those.  I like Camalei Correa quite a bit as a direct 3-4 defense scheme fit in the 2nd round. I'm even okay with Leonard Floyd OUTSIDE of the first round. Spence fits, but he's got the Ecstacy red flags so the Colts will likely pass unless he does one hell of an interview when the meet with him.   And I think we could top it off by adding a guy like Holmes or Judon late for example.

I'm not high on Floyd or Spence. .The guy I like is Jenkins in  the 3rd. He'd take over for Walden setting the edge but he is an underrated pass rusher. He should get better. He could be this years Anderson.

We only have 3 OLB's on the roster. All 3 are over 30. I could live with adding a pick the middle of day 3 coming away with Ngakoue and Holmes. 

We need a CB to play across from Vontae. We can take care of that in the 2nd. I would have a hard time passing on Billings in the 1st. He could be special I'd hate to miss that train.  

16 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I'm not high on Floyd or Spence. .The guy I like is Jenkins in  the 3rd. He'd take over for Walden setting the edge but he is an underrated pass rusher. He should get better. He could be this years Anderson.

We only have 3 OLB's on the roster. All 3 are over 30. I could live with adding a pick the middle of day 3 coming away with Ngakoue and Holmes. 

We need a CB to play across from Vontae. We can take care of that in the 2nd. I would have a hard time passing on Billings in the 1st. He could be special I'd hate to miss that train.  

I think Floyd will be a competent pass rusher if given more focus on that role.  I just think he has a long way to go versus the run.  The guy is not very strong and I don't know how strong he will ever be.  I think he's got too much project stuff going on overall.   I'm okay with a project outside of the first round.  I'm not a big fan of him either. As for me I don't see the need to draft a SAM unless he's coming in with real good sack production like Shaq Lawson.  Jenkins to me would give you about as much or less as Walden. I just think we could do something else with that pick, but everybody has their own window in which they see the draft.

I like Billings quite a bit but I'd be cool missing on him if I knew I could get Austin Johnson in the 3rd round.  To me he's just as stout at the point of attack and much more versatile than Billings.  You can play him at the 3 tech, Nose, and 5 tech and on passing downs.  Not that you can't make use of Billings on passing downs because he does have some pass rushing ability no doubt.

8 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Thanks for posting. I wasn't aware of this kid. He seems to be another late round EDGE rusher with a lot of upside.

The small school guys seem to be in greater abundance than the big school guys.  Nice measurables too!

37 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Thanks for posting. I wasn't aware of this kid. He seems to be another late round EDGE rusher with a lot of upside.

Carson Wentz knows about him. LOL

The turnover was forced when Tyrone Holmes sacked NDSU quarterback Carson Wentz. The loose ball was recovered by Kendrick Van Ackeren. It was one of the few miscues Saturday for Wentz, who passed for 198 yards and two touchdowns, and ran for 70 yards and two more scores.
 http://www.gogriz.com/news/2015/8/29/FB_0829151909.aspx

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

Yeah there's not much.  That's all you can really pick up is from that one highlight unfortunately.  Unless you can find a full Montana game somewhere.

North Dakota State vs Montana youtube

• 1 month later...

Just watched Holmes vs ND State and Carson Wentz. Two sacks, one forced fumble, a couple tackles for loss. Dude has burst, he comes with some power, he has a good rip and club move. He's very raw, but the athleticism is there. Not a lot of bend, but he has some nifty feet and change of direction ability. He looks like a mess in coverage and in the open field, unless he's coming straight ahead. Not good setting the edge or playing straight up on blockers, lost some battles to TEs. His technique is all over the place. 

He's a late round guy, maybe even a UDFA, but whoever gets him will have something to work with.