Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pete Metzelaars And Frank Reich Relieved Of Coaching Duties

PatMcAfeeFan

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed Jim Tressel was not on the list. Was he a year-only deal, or does he count as a consultant?

I have seen nothing to say he is leaving as of yet. I heard he was interviewing with some MAC schools but that was a while ago and then I think he got hit with the you can't coach in college for so many years thing but I could be wrong about the last part. With the head coach out all the coaches jobs are up in the air at this point so we'll see. He could come back or maybe another team grabs him or maybe the new coach doesn't want him here or maybe he gives him another job or something.

For those who want to know the coaches that remain are:

Clyde Christensen; Offensive Coordinator

Ron Turner; QB Coach

David Walker; Runningbacks Coach

Ricky Thomas; Tight End Coach

Mike Murphy; Defensive Coordinator

John Teerlinck; D-Line Coach

Alan Williams; Defensive Backs Coach

These are the position coaches at least.

There are rumors that Mike Murphy is going to retire and as someone else already pointed out Williams is probably out to be a DC for the Vikings. It looks like most of the offensive coaching staff is still in tact at the moment aside from Polian's two ex players. If it stays in tact that COULD be a good sign for those hoping Manning comes back or it could be a sign that the Colts felt the offensive coaches did a good job last year for the most part.

Good news is there is no way we could be worse than 2-14 next year, even if we have Orlavsky playing......

It's always good to look on the bright side, we could maybe even get 5-6 wins with Orlavsky next year BAM (hypothetical scenario ofc)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was quoting a leauge of their own.. sarcasam.. ;)

Any vid of the comeback to help refresh some memories??

It was agains't houston.The bills were down 34-0 at the half(another jim kelly stinker),and after JIM KELLY faked another injury(he often did this)they stuck in FRANK REICH to basically be brutalized,but he came out on fire and lead a massive comeback!

Reich could never know or teach the intricate details of that position,especially a position he never played.He was merely givin' a job duty because his BUDS were the polians.However,i think he could offer something as a QB coach.And Pete was a tightend that lined-up on the outside.How could he teach pulling guard schemes or other intricate position knowledge?

This is so blatantly wrong, it's amusing.

Ever watch Peyton on the sidelines talking to Reggie, Marvin, or any of his receivers. Make hand gestures cutting this way and that way?

Ever hear the expression of a WR and a QB being on the same page?

Ever see a TE pull and block?

The answers to all of those questions should be yes, because they all happen. A former QB coaching receivers is not much different than a current QB telling his receivers when he expects them to cut. What angle to cut at, etc. etc.

QBs know the WR position better than most WRs. They have to. Offense is about timing most of the time. If the WR doesn't cut when he's supposed to, the ball is going to be somewhere where he isn't unless the QB sees that the WR has made a mistake.

Point being, there are a good number of positions where the intricate details matter to someone in another position. RBs have to know blocking assignments so that they know where their hole should be. It's part of the game.

Tuba is completely in the right here. I won't say I am disappointed that staff is being fired after this season, but the house cleaning that has gone on seems excessive. This was a team that has been in the playoffs how many of the last 12 seasons? We have one year without PM and suddenly every coach is worthless or Polian's buddy?

Don't get me wrong, I think the new HC should have his staff here, and nothing else. But to suggest that this is some buddy game is a bit naive. You do realize that coaches network, right? You do realize that Dungy played on a Tom Moore coached Steelers team, right? These people coach or play for coaches on a number of teams over their careers. They meet coaches that inspire them. Coaches they believe in. When the get a HC gig, quite often you see them reaching out to people they've played with/coached with over the years and bringing them in as DC/OC/ST/etc. A lot of times it works. Some times it doesn't. The "buddy" relationship exists because, well, who do you think they intend to hire? People they know nothing about? Realize that this once successful franchise is simply cleaning house to give the new GM, coach, etc. a fresh start with no forced staff that doesn't buy into the new era they are headed towards.

The simple reality is they will most likely clean out all of the drawers and start new. You can't exactly do that with the players do to the nature of player contracts, but coaches don't count against the salary cap.

This is so blatantly wrong, it's amusing.

Ever watch Peyton on the sidelines talking to Reggie, Marvin, or any of his receivers. Make hand gestures cutting this way and that way?

Ever hear the expression of a WR and a QB being on the same page?

Ever see a TE pull and block?

The answers to all of those questions should be yes, because they all happen. A former QB coaching receivers is not much different than a current QB telling his receivers when he expects them to cut. What angle to cut at, etc. etc.

QBs know the WR position better than most WRs. They have to. Offense is about timing most of the time. If the WR doesn't cut when he's supposed to, the ball is going to be somewhere where he isn't unless the QB sees that the WR has made a mistake.

Point being, there are a good number of positions where the intricate details matter to someone in another position. RBs have to know blocking assignments so that they know where their hole should be. It's part of the game.

Tuba is completely in the right here. I won't say I am disappointed that staff is being fired after this season, but the house cleaning that has gone on seems excessive. This was a team that has been in the playoffs how many of the last 12 seasons? We have one year without PM and suddenly every coach is worthless or Polian's buddy?

Don't get me wrong, I think the new HC should have his staff here, and nothing else. But to suggest that this is some buddy game is a bit naive. You do realize that coaches network, right? You do realize that Dungy played on a Tom Moore coached Steelers team, right? These people coach or play for coaches on a number of teams over their careers. They meet coaches that inspire them. Coaches they believe in. When the get a HC gig, quite often you see them reaching out to people they've played with/coached with over the years and bringing them in as DC/OC/ST/etc. A lot of times it works. Some times it doesn't. The "buddy" relationship exists because, well, who do you think they intend to hire? People they know nothing about? Realize that this once successful franchise is simply cleaning house to give the new GM, coach, etc. a fresh start with no forced staff that doesn't buy into the new era they are headed towards.

The simple reality is they will most likely clean out all of the drawers and start new. You can't exactly do that with the players do to the nature of player contracts, but coaches don't count against the salary cap.

You've made some valid points and i can certainly understand where you're coming from.But it just doesn't hold water being true.When people name names(m.tice for example),its usually just one or two and those people are EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE...not the rule.If you want positions taught correctly,then hire ex-players that ACTUALLY PLAYED THOSE SKILLED POSITIONS.It makes zero sense hiring a back-up quarterback to be our recieving coach.It certainly worked out so well...didn't it?We played great all year in the passing game...didn't we?His(reich) true colors showed this year,without manning.He actually had to coach them this year and he failed horribly.This guy(reich)simply benefited from peyton's genius(as did numerous others).

You've made some valid points and i can certainly understand where you're coming from.But it just doesn't hold water being true.When people name names(m.tice for example),its usually just one or two and those people are EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE...not the rule.If you want positions taught correctly,then hire ex-players that ACTUALLY PLAYED THOSE SKILLED POSITIONS.It makes zero sense hiring a back-up quarterback to be our recieving coach.It certainly worked out so well...didn't it?We played great all year in the passing game...didn't we?His(reich) true colors showed this year,without manning.He actually had to coach them this year and he failed horribly.This guy(reich)simply benefited from peyton's genius(as did numerous others).

1st and foremost, we had 2 receivers just shy of 1000 yards. 2ndly, we had a geriatric Kerry Collins, a deer in the headlights Curtis Painter, and a career backup Dan Orlovsky throwing them the ball. To have two receivers be just shy of 1000 yards is a major, major accomplishment given what we had at the QB position.

You throw Peyton Manning in, and we likely have 2 receivers in excess of 1000 yards, and another just shy of that mark in Austin Collie.

EVERYONE in this organization benefited from Peyton's genius. That isn't a reason to fire them. The Bears are an example of what a good team does when their playmakers start hitting the sidelines (Forte/Cutler). It's much harder to win. We lost a 4 time MVP. Did you really expect us to still put up 4000 yards passing?

Had we actually had a serviceable backup at QB ala Kitna, Matt Moore, or others, we may've have a better passing game. But the reality is, our biggest problem was not our receiving corps. It was the QB position. So do you blame our inept passing game on a lackluster rag tag group of QBs, or the WRs who have gotten it done when they actually had someone throwing them the ball.

1st and foremost, we had 2 receivers just shy of 1000 yards. 2ndly, we had a geriatric Kerry Collins, a deer in the headlights Curtis Painter, and a career backup Dan Orlovsky throwing them the ball. To have two receivers be just shy of 1000 yards is a major, major accomplishment given what we had at the QB position.

You throw Peyton Manning in, and we likely have 2 receivers in excess of 1000 yards, and another just shy of that mark in Austin Collie.

EVERYONE in this organization benefited from Peyton's genius. That isn't a reason to fire them. The Bears are an example of what a good team does when their playmakers start hitting the sidelines (Forte/Cutler). It's much harder to win. We lost a 4 time MVP. Did you really expect us to still put up 4000 yards passing?

Had we actually had a serviceable backup at QB ala Kitna, Matt Moore, or others, we may've have a better passing game. But the reality is, our biggest problem was not our receiving corps. It was the QB position. So do you blame our inept passing game on a lackluster rag tag group of QBs, or the WRs who have gotten it done when they actually had someone throwing them the ball.

Grigson saw through them and canned the polian puppets.He made the right decision.Its time to move forward.

Teerlink just got canned

This one, I really have an issue with. Teerlink's capabilities goes back to the John Randle days. It is not just Freeney and Mathis that he taught to pass rush. Our primary DTs for the longest time were the Eric Foster, Keyunta Dawson, Daniel Muir, Larry Triplett, Montae Raegor kind of talents, serviceable but not world beaters that could be deployed in full time roles, IMO. We traded for Booger and Simon and got a year each out of them and those were probably the best rewards we reaped at the DT position, the other one is another serviceable AJ obtained from the Titans PS. The jury will continue to be out on Moala and Nevis but I fancy Nevis will end up being better.

I think canning John Teerlink was not a Polian-puppet canning move, it is a brow-raising move. It is basically the new GM using a shovel instead of a scalpel to carefully weed out the inept ones. Just my two cents :).

Anyone else feel the same way?