Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pete Metzelaars And Frank Reich Relieved Of Coaching Duties

PatMcAfeeFan

Coaches so far that have been fired this offseason:

- Jim Caldwell, Head Coach

- Ray Rychleski, Special Teams Coach

- Pete Metzelaars, Offensive Line Coach

- Frank Reich, Wide Receiver Coach

Why in the heck did polian just stick these guys anywhere?!Frank Reich a WR coach(what exactly does a back-up QB know about route running)?And Pete Metzelaars as an OL coach(A back-up TE)?That ticks me off alot!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys like John Teerlink have had a history dating back to John Randle, so do Howard Mudd and Tom Moore that have been around a long time.

A lot of the coaches, I felt (including Teerlink's son and Polian's other son Dennis) have been in this organization probably because of the buddy and nepotistic system the Polians fostered within the organization. It is not uncommon to hire buddies for OCs and DCs if they are NFL proven but to hire unknown commodities that have not paid their due as an NFL coach is what I had issues with. Ray Rychleski, what NFL dues had he paid when he was hired? At least Coyer had NFL experience. Ryan Grigson is putting an end to that madness. Ironically, one thing he cannot alter is the owner acquiring his business due to his Dad :). Yeah, Jim Harbaugh worked out but the odds of a college coach succeeding in the NFL is slim based on history, that is why I would rather not go the Jim Tressel or Kirk Ferentz route.

To me, coaches with prior NFL experience should be the ones getting the coaching positions as heads of offensive, defensive and ST units. The closest we are going to get with proven experience for a head coach is not proven head coaching experience, but proven NFL experience, IMO unless an Eagles organization cans Andy Reid or Chargers organization cans Norv Turner in a knee jerk fashion, like the Bucs did with Dungy. That is how Dungy was in the market in the first place.

Pete Metzelaars has been fired as the Colts offensive line coach.

https://twitter.com/#!/bkravitz

If i were ant coach on this staff I would be seeking employment elsewhere. I have a funny feeling none are going to survive this.I believe the GM said a fresh start and I think he is serious. If you are connected to Polian or Caldwell your days are numbered.

Why in the heck did polian just stick these guys anywhere?!Frank Reich a WR coach(what exactly does a back-up QB know about route running)?And Pete Metzelaars as an OL coach(A back-up TE)?That ticks me off alot!

Pete Metzelaars was not a back up tight end. Tuba Guy already addressed. One of the best OL coaches in the NFL who became a head coach was Mike Tice who was a college QB at Maryland. As Tuba Guy said, get your facts straight before making uninformed statements.

And while I do think Reich made a better QB coach than receivers coach, it makes sense for a former QB to instruct WRs. Reich was a very heady QB during his playing days; while he was mainly a backup, he came in and replaced Kelly and did an outstanding job leading the Bills. One of the reasons was that while his talent was not on the same level as Kelly's, he was known then as a very smart, intelligent QB who knew how to get the most out of his abilities and more. So he knows what QBs are thinking and can instruct the WRs on not only running routes, but how to think as the QB thinks as well. When you actually stop to think about it, instead of throwing out meaningless comments with no thought or reason behind them, it makes sense.

Pete Metzelaars was not a back up tight end. Tuba Guy already addressed. One of the best OL coaches in the NFL who became a head coach was Mike Tice who was a college QB at Maryland. As Tuba Guy said, get your facts straight before making uninformed statements.

Not entirely true.He would often split time with mckellar(i think thats his name).He(met...blah...blah rs) wasn't an outright starter.

And while I do think Reich made a better QB coach than receivers coach, it makes sense for a former QB to instruct WRs. Reich was a very heady QB during his playing days; while he was mainly a backup, he came in and replaced Kelly and did an outstanding job leading the Bills. One of the reasons was that while his talent was not on the same level as Kelly's, he was known then as a very smart, intelligent QB who knew how to get the most out of his abilities and more. So he knows what QBs are thinking and can instruct the WRs on not only running routes, but how to think as the QB thinks as well. When you actually stop to think about it, instead of throwing out meaningless comments with no thought or reason behind them, it makes sense.

No,not really.In fact,not at all.

"Let's try to act civil toward each other.I'm here to talk 'COLTS' football,so let's share our love for the team and our state together.We're on the same team,so we should embrace our differences."

I understand what you are saying, but it's hard to say I'm being uncivil. This is a football discussion board. I'm trying to have meaningful discussion and stop people from throwing out comments about players and coaches that are based on nothing or are simply not true.

But why? It's easy to make comments like this. But what is your thinking behind it? I've given my view and backed it up with my thoughts. I'd like to know more than a simple "throw away" statement from you.

Reich could never know or teach the intricate details of that position,especially a position he never played.He was merely givin' a job duty because his BUDS were the polians.However,i think he could offer something as a QB coach.And Pete was a tightend that lined-up on the outside.How could he teach pulling guard schemes or other intricate position knowledge?

And while I do think Reich made a better QB coach than receivers coach, it makes sense for a former QB to instruct WRs.

It made sense to a bunch of people who got fired for going 2-14. I can see the benefit of it from a QB-WR connection, but as far as being a better pass catcher, blocker, or complete receiver, I don't see it.

Reich could never know or teach the intricate details of that position,especially a position he never played.He was merely givin' a job duty because his BUDS were the polians.However,i think he could offer something as a QB coach.And Pete was a tightend that lined-up on the outside.How could he teach pulling guard schemes or other intricate position knowledge?

I repeat, Mike Tice is considered one of the best OL coaches in the NFL. He played QB in college and became a tight end in the NFL. The fact that Metzelaars was a tight end does not mean he can not be an outstanding OL coach.

I repeat, Mike Tice is considered one of the best OL coaches in the NFL. He played QB in college and became a tight end in the NFL. The fact that Metzelaars was a tight end does not mean he can not be an outstanding OL coach.

Thats the exception rather than the rule. There is a reasonable point to be made that a Tight End can be a decent OL coach.

Thank god!I'm not sure 'why' we thought a career back-up TE would make an excellent O-LINE coach to begin with.

When you consider that Mike Tice, who is generally regarded as an excellent O-Line coach was a back up tight end (107 career receptions) I'm not really sure what the relevance is.

I like how everyone is acting like the Colts have not posted a winning record in years and are finally getting rid of everyone who has kept the Colts in mediocrity while every other team has flourished.

People have talked about making Spags the HC? What?!?!? He went 2-14 this past year and that was not even his worse year as a HC.

Marty Morinwhig (sp?) the guy was 5-27 in two years of coaching.

Zimmer - Excellent DC but no HC experience at all. Rookie GM and rookie HC and perhaps a rookie QB does not equal a formula for success.

I didn't agree with all of Polian's moves or eveything he said but one thing he said stands out in my mind, "If GMs listen to the fans, soon they will be sitting with the fans."

So far we haven't heard Grigson get rid of the one area that will truly help the Colts.... a new traing staff and team doctors. The amount of injuries the team has had the last few years is unacceptable.

Just announced...Torine done. Best dismissal thus far. Oh shoot, missed someone already posted it.

For those who want to know the coaches that remain are:

Clyde Christensen; Offensive Coordinator

Ron Turner; QB Coach

David Walker; Runningbacks Coach

Ricky Thomas; Tight End Coach

Mike Murphy; Defensive Coordinator

John Teerlinck; D-Line Coach

Alan Williams; Defensive Backs Coach

These are the position coaches at least.

Ron Turner; QB Coach

I doubt Williams will be back. He got offered a DC position for the Vikings.

Ron Turner; QB Coach

I noticed Jim Tressel was not on the list. Was he a year-only deal, or does he count as a consultant?

Ron Turner; QB Coach

Only the ones in bold should return.

I hope I'm not just having computer problems and not seeing any bold. At this rate I think Grigson might fire them all by tomorrow. Including the whole training staff also.

Lol your computer is fine. My point is all of the coaching staff should be fired.

It seems to me that Grigs is getting rid of as many people as possible so that the new HC doesnt have to deal with personal. The new HC will be able to come in here with his own people and feel comfortable right off the bat. I can understand that. But, there is no doubt about it. This team is going to look, talk, smell, feel, quack, and walk differernt then it has for a long time now.

I was a fan of Metzelaars. No particular reason, I just thought he would be a solid coach. Guess I was wrong there. And wasn't Frank Reich doing well as a coach here?

Really doesn't look like it makes any difference he is just cleaning house and wants all the old staff gone. Kind of sad if you were doing a respectable job in your position but I'm guessing this happens all the time in the NFL coaching jobs. Let's hope all these moves are going to be a good thing for the team. I heard on one of the TV stations that they talked to Caldwell and he hopes to get another NFL coaching job soon. I wish him well on what ever he does. Well let's get ready for the long ride to see how this pans out.