Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Major announcement at 5 PM

HungarianColtsFan

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, southwest1 said:

You can say that again. Jimmy's even softened my position on his "and umm's" during press conferences too. 

He's so nice to his fans & does such incredible charity work in Indianapolis that I let it slide now. 

To tell you the truth, I think it's a nervous tick thing that Mr. Irsay does to relieve minor stage fright like an automatic reflex. I just keep telling myself he's a good man & public speaking may not be a natural gift in his personality arsenal or skill set. That doesn't mean he's not smart or funny because he is...Just that sometimes, he struggles to find the right words to best encapsulate the circumstance. No worries Mr. Irsay. You're a phenomenal owner who always pushes for more Lombardi trophies for our franchise & I respect that.  

He is definitely an interesting public speaker, but when you have billions , people listen !

42 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Hey... I read today in an online version of a Denver newspaper that #18 decided to retire as a Bronco, foregoing the one day contract offer from Indy. 

Was wondering if anybody else heard this, if it's old news already or what. It seems like if it was a credible report, we'd have a thread on here about it, but I haven't seen one.

I realize that I didn't provide a link, but I'm strapped for time and am confused as to why this isn't blowing up my news feed from other sources... If true, it's unfortunate, in my view, not that I am making a judgement, just would have liked Peyton to retire a Colt. 

According to the Denver Post & Mile High Report/SB Nation, Peyton thought long & hard about retiring as a Colt one day prior to being inducted to the Colts ROH. Seems he made his decision to forego a one day contract with Indianapolis and retire in Denver as a Bronco. 

At least that's the last I've heard. However, he'll still be inducted to the Pro Football Hall of Fame as both a Colt & Bronco.

If anyone else has more info, please post it.

1 minute ago, ColtRider said:

According to the Denver Post & Mile High Report/SB Nation, Peyton thought long & hard about retiring as a Colt one day prior to being inducted to the Colts ROH. Seems he made his decision to forego a one day contract with Indianapolis and retire in Denver as a Bronco. 

At least that's the last I've heard. However, he'll still be inducted to the Pro Football Hall of Fame as both a Colt & Bronco.

Yes.  Peyton did his best to acknowledge both organizations, and handled himself with class with both.

Both were lucky to have him.

2 hours ago, buccolts said:

Yep, I Feel Fine was my first appreciation of the Beatles. 

A year after I Feel Fine came out Day Tripper was released right before Rubber Soul. Then the single Rain was released right before Revolver. Then Strawberry Fields right before Sargent Pepper. What a run.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@corgi everytime I see your avatar I think of the old ex presidents because that thing on your dogs head looks like his hair from a distance. Like a long George Washington hair do. It looks like he is wearing a white wig with long hair on both sides. Cute dog by the way.

Thanks! I just looked at the picture now i cannot unsee him wearing an old powdered wig! Too funny. It's actually bubble wrap. The box he's in is the amazon box that my PS4 arrived in. 

14 minutes ago, corgi said:

Thanks! I just looked at the picture now i cannot unsee him wearing an old powdered wig! Too funny. It's actually bubble wrap. The box he's in is the amazon box that my PS4 arrived in. 

Yeah once I looked closely at it I thought it was bubble wrap but when from a distance it looks like a wig with long hair haha 

2 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

He is definitely an interesting public speaker, but when you have billions , people listen !

Yes, indeed. Money does tend to that very thing. Did you ever notice that the people who say money isn't everything never had huge quantities of it in the 1st place? 

I have come across some wealthy individuals that are nice people though. Translation: It is possible to be affluent or rich & not be a colossally smug jerk because of it. At least Jimmy spreads his good fortune around which is cool. 

2 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

Mr Moonlight and Revolution # 9 were their worst songs !

Yes they were. The what I call Beatlemania songs were 2 and 3 minute tunes geared to the teenagers and radio play. There was always some good stuff mixed in the early stuff but when they quit touring and went into the studio that's when the magic started to happen. Over 300 songs with 237 of them being original songs of their own. Pretty amazing what they did from 1962 till 1969.

12 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Yes, indeed. Money does tend to that very thing. Did you ever notice that the people who say money isn't everything never had huge quantities of it in the 1st place? 

I have come across something wealthy individuals that are nice people though. Translation: It is possible to be affluent or rich & not be a colossally smug jerk because of it. At least Jimmy spreads his good fortune around which is cool. 

That's right. My grandfather used to tell me that money don't buy happiness but it sure makes misery a little easier to take. At least Jim comes off being human with human faults. He wears his emotions out in the open. Like him or not, what you see is what you get with him.

32 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That's right. My grandfather used to tell me that money don't buy happiness but it sure makes misery a little easier to take. At least Jim comes off being human with human faults. He wears his emotions out in the open. Like him or not, what you see is what you get with him.

LOL! Your grandfather was a wise man CC1. I gotta remember that saying. So true. 

Yes, Jim's pain pill issues & alcohol related mistakes do humanize him & make him seem like a beloved man of the people. Besides, a few scraps in life makes for 1 hades of a fascinating life story. Perfection is overrated. That's why I revere Johnny Cash. He shook hands with the devil & lived to talk about it thanks to June Carter his wife. I enjoy redemption stories & I always will. Plus, I admire how open Jimmy is about his human vices, which takes guts & makes me like him more. 

Just please hire a driver Jimmy. I wouldn't want anybody to accidentally get seriously hurt or fatally wounded God forbid. Just for your own peace of mind & your loyal fanbase Mr. Irsay. Thank you. 

The other nice thing about millions of dollars in your bank account is this: You can tell people you dislike immensely what you really think on them. I know that sounds horrible, but I just have the feeling this luxury would be so liberating man. We all have that list of people in our lives that were anything but charming or who desperately needed to be put in their place. Enough said. 

On 3/18/2016 at 10:57 AM, crazycolt1 said:

Why do you say that?  If you feel Manning was not well liked and wasn't the best QB in Colts history and don't deserves the kudos then I cant understand how you can call yourself a Colt fan. I am pretty sure I am not alone in that statement.

Lol, calm down there little buddy and don't put words in my mouth. 

Irsay said it was a major announcement, and it's just a Manning statue like most of us already thought it was going to be. Even people that aren't Colts fans know that LOS is the house that Manning built. 

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Lol, calm down there little buddy and don't put words in my mouth. 

Irsay said it was a major announcement, and it's just a Manning statue like most of us already thought it was going to be. Even people that aren't Colts fans know that LOS is the house that Manning built. 

You act like it was no big deal. It was a big deal to most but you I guess. 7 pages important.

17 hours ago, ColtRider said:

2 stories

Sources tell me Peyton thought hard about "retiring as a member of #Colts." Gave serious consideration. But, ultimately decided no.

Maybe it's as simple as Manning believing the best way to walk away is not draw too much attention to yourself. He got the ceremonies and he won a Super Bowl in his final game. He's probably content with the way things are going.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25525375/report-peyton-manning-spurns-colts-one-day-deal-retires-with-broncos?ttag=nfldailyheadline403212016&ET_CID=6940&ET_RID=26592143

---------------------

"thought hard" and "gave serious consideration" to signing a one-day contract with the Indianapolis Colts ahead of his retirement ceremony in Indianapolis on Friday. 

this decision doesn't mean as much as it does in other sports like baseball, where you're inducted into the Hall of Fame as a member of a specific team (in the NFL, Manning will be inducted as a member of the Broncos and Colts), it still matters. It still matters to Manning - has he ever "thought hard" or given "serious consideration" to anything that didn't? And it matters to the fans that have a bond with Manning after his four years in Denver.

It adds legitimacy to his stay in Denver  confirming that he wasn't just collecting a paycheck and padding his Hall of Fame resume while in Mile High Country. He was a Bronco. He bled orange and blue.  

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/3/19/11270238/peyton-manning-retire-broncos-colts-one-day-contract

21 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You act like it was no big deal. It was a big deal to most but you I guess. 7 pages important.

The statue itself is cool, but Irsay saying "major announcement at 5" is not as big of a deal as he was making it out to be since most of us already guessed that was going to happen. 

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

The statue itself is cool, but Irsay saying "major announcement at 5" is not as big of a deal as he was making it out to be since most of us already guessed that was going to happen. 

Just how was Jim suppose to know that some were guessing? It was a big deal to him and why some have an issue with it is beyond me.

19 hours ago, bayone said:

2 stories

Sources tell me Peyton thought hard about "retiring as a member of #Colts." Gave serious consideration. But, ultimately decided no.

Maybe it's as simple as Manning believing the best way to walk away is not draw too much attention to yourself. He got the ceremonies and he won a Super Bowl in his final game. He's probably content with the way things are going.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25525375/report-peyton-manning-spurns-colts-one-day-deal-retires-with-broncos?ttag=nfldailyheadline403212016&ET_CID=6940&ET_RID=26592143

---------------------

"thought hard" and "gave serious consideration" to signing a one-day contract with the Indianapolis Colts ahead of his retirement ceremony in Indianapolis on Friday. 

this decision doesn't mean as much as it does in other sports like baseball, where you're inducted into the Hall of Fame as a member of a specific team (in the NFL, Manning will be inducted as a member of the Broncos and Colts), it still matters. It still matters to Manning - has he ever "thought hard" or given "serious consideration" to anything that didn't? And it matters to the fans that have a bond with Manning after his four years in Denver.

It adds legitimacy to his stay in Denver  confirming that he wasn't just collecting a paycheck and padding his Hall of Fame resume while in Mile High Country. He was a Bronco. He bled orange and blue.  

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/3/19/11270238/peyton-manning-retire-broncos-colts-one-day-contract

I don't have a problem with how Peyton is handling things. He played for both teams so he will go into the HOFame as a Colt and Bronco. His ceremony went well, he and Irsay exchanged nice words and we are retiring his number and building a statue for him. The Broncos wont have a statue of him I can guarantee that.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't have a problem with how Peyton is handling things. He played for both teams so he will go into the HOFame as a Colt and Bronco. His ceremony went well, he and Irsay exchanged nice words and we are retiring his number and building a statue for him.

The Broncos wont have a statue of him I can guarantee that.

wasnt trying to imply I had an issue, just to make sure u kow, all i was doing was replying to a comment that asked for help if anyone had more information on what he had heard , so i had 2 linked articles with key excerpts

His # 18 BTW he actually asked,I forgot who, for permission to use it as it was already retired

There are those ( I( have Denver Cousins ) calling for the # not simply to be put back on the shelf but trying to see if one can re retire it for 2 people in the same organization

can u imagine if the first player it belonged to refused to let Peyton use it, I wonder if he would of selected then # 19 to honor Unitas or consider that a  sacrilege.

also my cousins all these years couldn't understand why I thought so highly of all Peyton did, then once he became a bronco and saw for their own eyes it was enlightening to them, esp after Jay Cutler and others of recent years

37 minutes ago, bayone said:

wasnt trying to imply I had an issue, just to make sure u kow, all i was doing was replying to a comment that asked for help if anyone had more information on what he had heard , so i had 2 linked articles with key excerpts

His # 18 BTW he actually asked,I forgot who, for permission to use it as it was already retired

There are those ( I( have Denver Cousins ) calling for the # not simply to be put back on the shelf but trying to see if one can re retire it for 2 people in the same organization

can u imagine if the first player it belonged to refused to let Peyton use it, I wonder if he would of selected then # 19 to honor Unitas or consider that a  sacrilege.

also my cousins all these years couldn't understand why I thought so highly of all Peyton did, then once he became a bronco and saw for their own eyes it was enlightening to them, esp after Jay Cutler and others of recent years

I knew where you were coming from, no bigge. I just wanted to Post that I think Peyton has handled things well.

Its a bummer Peyton didn't retire a Colt but I think its for 1 simple reason.  RESPECT. (Or actually, the least disrespectful decision)

look, like it or not, we showed Peyton the door 4 years ago.

Denver was there to pock him and his belongings up "at the curb" of his football life when some were writing him off. (Including the Colts to some degree)

if he retires a Colt he somewhat kicks Denver to the curb.(disrespectful)

but its not disrespectful to turn our offer down , i feel.

he came back so we could honor him.  Thats good enuff for me i guess.

the guy just always seems to do the right thing.

i'll miss watching him, whatever the uniform and city.

4 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Its a bummer Peyton didn't retire a Colt but I think its for 1 simple reason.  RESPECT. (Or actually, the least disrespectful decision)

look, like it or not, we showed Peyton the door 4 years ago.

Denver was there to pock him and his belongings up "at the curb" of his football life when some were writing him off. (Including the Colts to some degree)

I am ok with him not retiring a Colt. I honestly don't think he has any animosity towards Irsay or the Colts. If he did he would've declined to have a retirement ceremony with us/Irsay. If he really couldn't stand Irsay he would've dissed his invite back to Indianapolis. If you don't like someone, in general you don't want anything to do with them or want to be around them. I just think he doesn't want anymore attention and just wants to stay out of the limelight now. The Press Conference he had here was good enough for me. We are building a statue for him so that is good enough for me.

11 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

look, like it or not, we showed Peyton the door 4 years ago.

Agreed. 4 years ago the Colts were between a rock & a hard place. Andrew Luck sitting there for our taking, or letting Peyton go with his mileage & many surgeries to his neck (unbeknownst to us how that turns out). 

I'm sure many would agree that the Colts & Irsay made the right call. As hard and extremely painful that was, it came down to a gamble. Rolling the dice on Peyton at that moment in time was incredibly dangerous, along with Andrew Luck staring us down as the number one pick & future of the franchise.

2 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

Agreed. 4 years ago the Colts were between a rock & a hard place. Andrew Luck sitting there for our taking, or letting Peyton go with his mileage & many surgeries to his neck (unbeknownst to us how that turns out). 

I'm sure many would agree that the Colts & Irsay made the right call. As hard and extremely painful that was, it came down to a gamble. Rolling the dice on Peyton at that moment in time was incredibly dangerous, along with Andrew Luck staring us down as the number one pick & future of the franchise.

I personally thought his career might have been over with that neck injury.  I loved him with the Colts and when Denver was playing anyone but the Colts.  Heck I wish I was getting a statue......UHHH maybe not :)  

8 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

It was a move we had to make and the correct one. We were rebuilding and Peyton would've had all kinds of trouble playing behind the lines we have had the last 4 seasons. With Andrew Luck there for the taking I agree 100% with Irsay's decision. Will Andrew ever be as great as Peyton has been, probably not but that isn't the point. He still will be Good to Great most seasons and has been Very Good his first 3 seasons. Last season he was just injured but stuff happens. Andrew hasn't been a bust and has provided a 38-23 record as a starter + got us to a Championship Game already. If anyone had to choose Andrew for 15 years or Peyton for 4 years they would be out of their mind to take Peyton for 4 years with the team we had going into 2012.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It was a move we had to make and the correct one. We were rebuilding and Peyton would've had all kinds of trouble playing behind the lines we have had the last 4 seasons. With Andrew Luck there for the taking I agree 100% with Irsay's decision. Will Andrew ever be as great as Peyton has been, probably not but that isn't the point. He still will be Good to Great most seasons and has been Very Good his first 3 seasons. Last season he was just injured but stuff happens. Andrew hasn't been a bust and has provided a 38-23 record as a starter + got us to a Championship Game already.

It hurt regardless.  With Luck set to get 25 million a year...at least we have a great QB for 5 more years.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh it hurt, no doubt. I teared up when Peyton was being released. He is my favorite of all-time. I also knew we had Andrew coming in so that eased my pain after a few days.

The worst day since Bob Knight got fired for me.....

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It was a move we had to make and the correct one. We were rebuilding and Peyton would've had all kinds of trouble playing behind the lines we have had the last 4 seasons. With Andrew Luck there for the taking I agree 100% with Irsay's decision. Will Andrew ever be as great as Peyton has been, probably not but that isn't the point. He still will be Good to Great most seasons and has been Very Good his first 3 seasons. Last season he was just injured but stuff happens. Andrew hasn't been a bust and has provided a 38-23 record as a starter + got us to a Championship Game already.

huge statement to the bolded, '06CBE! Not only with the Colts, but with other teams if it were not for Peyton selecting Denver. The Broncos defense, I feel, played a huge part in his decision. Relying only upon offensive weaponary teams to reach another 2 Super Bowls was, in all likelihood, (to him) impossible. I think he knew the limitations would not reside in himself only. The Denver offense & defense coupled together over the last several years is exactly what Peyton envisioned when he became a Bronco. A very well balanced team with a great shot at SBs guided along with his expertise at QB. Turns out his expert opinion was absolutely correct.

4 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

huge statement to the bolded, '06CBE! Not only with the Colts, but with other teams if it were not for Peyton selecting Denver. The Broncos defense, I feel, played a huge part in his decision. Relying only upon offensive weaponary teams to reach another 2 Super Bowls was, in all likelihood, (to him) impossible. I think he knew his limitations would not reside in himself only. The Denver offense & defense coupled together over the last several years is exactly what Peyton envisioned when he became a Bronco. A very well balanced team with a great shot at SBs guided along with his expertise at QB. Turns out his expert opinion was absolutely correct.

That too. Our Defense hasn't been anywhere near what Denver's has been. Great point Colt.

Because this is a Peyton Manning Thread, did anyone see that ridiculous all-time greatest SuperBowl era QB list that Dave Dameshek from the NFL Network put out! His list is:

1. Brady

2. Montana

3. Elway

4. Rodgers?

5. Favre

6. Marino

7. Peyton was 7th!

-Unitas doesn't qualify because this is the best of the SB era if someone is wondering. Here's the deal, no way in hell Peyton isn't at least a Top 5 QB of all-time after getting his 2nd Ring. There is not 1 solid argument that anyone can make that Rodgers, Favre, and Marino are better than Peyton?? I think Peyton is Top 3 personally. Rings of course factor in and Peyton even has 2 of them now but when you factor in League MVP's, SB MVP's, and Stats + Overall Wins, Peyton is Top 3 without a doubt. Here's my list of the greatest QB's of the SB era:

1. Montana should be #1 - He has won as many League MVP's(2) and SB MVP's(3) that Brady has won but is 4-0 in SB's as well. The guy threw 0 INT's in 4 SB's played. That is incredible!

2. Brady - 6 SB appearances, 4 SB wins, 3 SB MVP's, 2 League MVP's.

3. Peyton - 2 SB wins with 2 different teams as a starter, 5 League MVP's which is mindboggling and a record that will never be broken, a SB MVP, and he owns records of most TD passes in the Regular Season of all-time, most Yards in the Regular Season of all-time, and he is tied with Brett Favre for having the most Regular Season wins as a starting QB with 186.

4. Elway - Has won 2 SB's, a League MVP and SB MVP. Was a Great duel threat QB as well, he could take off and run!

5. One could go a lot of ways here? Does Bradshaw's 4 SB wins with a 4-0 record/Rings as a starter outweigh Favre's Regular Season Stats, 3 League MVP's, and his 1 SB win? Favre never won a SB MVP believe it or not. Bradshaw's all-time Regular Season Stats were Average overall. Or does Marino belong here with 0 Rings but arguably is the best pure Passer of all-time, he never had a run game or a Great Defense to help him win games. Marino did win a League MVP in 1984 as well and carried the Dolphins to a SB appearance. Rodgers IMO is still arguably not even Top 10 all-time. Steve Young has more of an argument to be Top 10 than Rodgers does. Young has won as many League MVP's(2) and as many SB MVP's(1) as Rodgers has + Young was just as much if not better of a duel threat to pass and run than what Rodgers is. Had it not been for the Cowboys in the early 90's, Young would've won more than 1 SB as a starter as well IMO. Troy Aikman is another Great SB era QB that should be mentioned, his all-time Regular Season Stats were Average to Above Average but he did lead his team to 3 SB wins going 3-0 in SB's and was arguably the most accurate Passing QB of all-time. If I had to choose a #5 I would choose Marino. This is 1 instant where I go against some of my criteria I laid out because to me he was the best pure Passer of all-time and had little help his whole career.

On 3/21/2016 at 9:31 PM, Carlos Danger said:

Hey... I read today in an online version of a Denver newspaper that #18 decided to retire as a Bronco, foregoing the one day contract offer from Indy. 

Was wondering if anybody else heard this, if it's old news already or what. It seems like if it was a credible report, we'd have a thread on here about it, but I haven't seen one.

I realize that I didn't provide a link, but I'm strapped for time and am confused as to why this isn't blowing up my news feed from other sources... If true, it's unfortunate, in my view, not that I am making a judgement, just would have liked Peyton to retire a Colt. 

Old news when he retired on March 7th he was with the Broncos (and is on their reserved/retired list) which means he couldn't retire with the Colts if he wanted to unless the Broncos released him.

They are just making it into a story that's nonexistent.

56 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Old news when he retired on March 7th he was with the Broncos (and is on their reserved/retired list) which means he couldn't retire with the Colts if he wanted to unless the Broncos released him.

They are just making it into a story that's nonexistent.

Yeah, thanks. I figured that out, eventually. I guess it was part of his retirement that I hadn't thought about because he made the announcement while still on the Broncos roster. 

I suppose I was thinking about Reggie's one day contract when I was reading and it added weight to the decision in my mind. The truth is that he enters the hall as a Bronco and Colt and it didn't really make a difference. I've come to terms with it through rationalization, I guess. 

Remember, it is the Colts that are retiring Manning's number.  Not Denver.

The Broncos cannot, because they already did.  Frank Tripucka was the first Bronco QB, and one of just 3 retired Broncos jerseys.  Tripucka 'talked' Manning into wearing his 'retired' uniform number.  Manning resisted at first.  But then honored the request. Mr. Frank Tripucka died on Thursday September 12, 2013.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Manning-Meets-with-Tripucka-Family/0af5e8d6-0453-4679-8c3b-12926c61eb43

So Manning Retires a Bronco, but the Colts retire his number, not the Broncos.

13 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Well the Broncos retired 18 and Manning still got to wear it who's to say the Colts won't unretire that number for another player down the line. You never know.

The Bronco player (Frank Tripucka) un-retired it and only for Peyton, not the Broncos themselves.