Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So from the beginning of looking at players and mocks and what have you I have wanted a OLB in the first more than any other. But as we learn more about these players and the Colts are not making any moves in FA I am thinking it might be better to go in another direction. There is no OLB worth a first round pick at 18 IMO. At this point I want the Colts to draft someone who will contribute. Andrew Billings might be my favorite choice. Jack Conklin or Taylor Decker can be day 1 starters at RT. Ezekiel Elliot might not be high on many peoples list but he would give us a bell cow rb of the future. We need a RG and a C but I don't like the idea of drafting one of those positions in the first. CB is another position we could go for in the first. We can get a #1 corner in the first but we can still fill our need in the second because there are still guys I think we can get, like Artie Burns or Xavien Howard, that would fill our #2 CB hole. I think we can get a OLB that can contribute somewhere in rounds 2-4. Kyler Fackrell, Jordan Jenkins, Kamalei Correa, and Yannick Ngakoue are a few that we could get in those rounds. I guess I'm saying I hope the Colts take a top guy who might be more of a safe pick. Someone who will come in and contribute and be a building block going forward. And Billings, Conklin, Decker, and Elliot are a few guys I think can be players like that. 

That's pretty much exactly how I see it. We have a chance to get impact players at a number of positions. 

I don't think we go O-Line in the 1st. There are just too many talented defensive players and we already have a good LT and LG. We could get a guy like Conner McGovern or Evan Boehm later in the draft. 

I would definitely not mind if we took Zeke. He's a top 10 talent. 

2 hours ago, SP_21 said:

That's pretty much exactly how I see it. We have a chance to get impact players at a number of positions. 

I don't think we go O-Line in the 1st. There are just too many talented defensive players and we already have a good LT and LG. We could get a guy like Conner McGovern or Evan Boehm later in the draft. 

I would definitely not mind if we took Zeke. He's a top 10 talent. 

I'd certainly be happy if we scored a good O-lineman in round 1.

1 hour ago, Track Guy said:

I think it has to be defense in the 1st.   The only REAL need on the OLine is OC and it would be a reach to go after Kelly in the 1st when we could get him or Martin in the second.  No way you take a G in the 1st besides we have an improving Thorton and Good at RT

I know it wont happen but I really like Eli Apple    2 shut down corners makes the pass rush stronger.

I wouldn't call Taylor Decker a safe pick at all. I'm just not a fan. I like Conklin, but I don't want us to go RT in the 1st. Unless we draft Conklin to come in and start at RG. I think our 1st needs to be an EDGE rusher, but CB, NT, ILB, or C would all make sense. Or G if we want to take Whitehair. Most likely the BPA when we're on the clock at 18 will be Noah Spence or a WR or something. Spence is a top 5-10 talent so....

2 hours ago, Track Guy said:

I'm not saying I would be upset if we took an offensive lineman. Just think we can get a player with similar talent later. We really only need a center. The team likes Good at RT and there looks to be a battle at RG. 

2 hours ago, SP_21 said:

I'm not saying I would be upset if we took an offensive lineman. Just think we can get a player with similar talent later. We really only need a center. The team likes Good at RT and there looks to be a battle at RG. 

That all depends on how the draft shakes out really. If we're strictly looking for a guy to come in and play RG immediately, the only pick that would make sense as early as 18 would be Jack Conklin. The other O-lineman in the first round discussion, you take strictly as tackles in my eyes. So less likely if you put much stock into the idea that Good will be more than a swing tackle in the future (which is still a valuable thing to have and totally a hit for a 7th round pick). But I have no clue how the Colts' board is constructed. 

I definitely don't agree with the mantra that we must go defense in round 1 like some guys are saying - it all depends on how the draft shakes out in my view. But I do agree that if I had to wager, defense looks like the more likely side of the ball that our day 1 pick will fill in on. Really nothing would completely surprise me anymore after last year with Dorsett, but I could see a DT, ILB, OLB, or CB being the pick. On offense it's tough to imagine anything except an OL but who knows. 

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I wouldn't call Taylor Decker a safe pick at all. I'm just not a fan. I like Conklin, but I don't want us to go RT in the 1st. Unless we draft Conklin to come in and start at RG. I think our 1st needs to be an EDGE rusher, but CB, NT, ILB, or C would all make sense. Or G if we want to take Whitehair. Most likely the BPA when we're on the clock at 18 will be Noah Spence or a WR or something. Spence is a top 5-10 talent so....

Jeeze where is this Spence love stemming from?

He isn't a top 5 nor 10 talent.  He's a borderline first and people who don't like off the field stuff (like the Colts) probably have him in the 2nd or not on their board at all.

A top 5-10 pass rusher is going to need a ton of athleticism.  In the NFL you need burst off the line and have size.  If you aren't very athletic (like Spence isn't) and win by technique (as he does) you can be a decent pass rusher in the NFL but that is in no way top 10 worthy.  Especially when you have numerous DT's with the ability to penetrate with size and speed (like this draft does) and numerous Corners who have the physical traits and athleticism to be #1 or #2 talent in the next tier. 

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I think if we draft him, this is likely where he plays as a rookie. And I believe he's the best guard in the draft, even if he's also an option at tackle. 

13 hours ago, Wesk7 said:

So from the beginning of looking at players and mocks and what have you I have wanted a OLB in the first more than any other. But as we learn more about these players and the Colts are not making any moves in FA I am thinking it might be better to go in another direction. There is no OLB worth a first round pick at 18 IMO. At this point I want the Colts to draft someone who will contribute. Andrew Billings might be my favorite choice. Jack Conklin or Taylor Decker can be day 1 starters at RT. Ezekiel Elliot might not be high on many peoples list but he would give us a bell cow rb of the future. We need a RG and a C but I don't like the idea of drafting one of those positions in the first. CB is another position we could go for in the first. We can get a #1 corner in the first but we can still fill our need in the second because there are still guys I think we can get, like Artie Burns or Xavien Howard, that would fill our #2 CB hole. I think we can get a OLB that can contribute somewhere in rounds 2-4. Kyler Fackrell, Jordan Jenkins, Kamalei Correa, and Yannick Ngakoue are a few that we could get in those rounds. I guess I'm saying I hope the Colts take a top guy who might be more of a safe pick. Someone who will come in and contribute and be a building block going forward. And Billings, Conklin, Decker, and Elliot are a few guys I think can be players like that. 

I just think there are too many picks other than a RB to take even if Elliot is available at 18. With teams using multi RBs using a #1 pick for a RB is not the way to go. A starting pass rusher or a lineman would help the Colts more than a RB. A high caliber RB is not a need if the o-line gets shored up. With the need to protect Luck and improving the running game, o-line is more important IMO.

I would like them to go defense first, but I could get completely behind Conklin. Ryan Kelly isn't worth it to me when there's several good centers in the next few rounds. I agree that there won't be any edge rushers worthy of a 1st, but that doesn't mean they can't get the pass rush some help. If Apple is available at #18, that's my pick. With a solid starter opposite Davis, the pass rush should improve indirectly. 

18 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I just think there are too many picks other than a RB to take even if Elliot is available at 18. With teams using multi RBs using a #1 pick for a RB is not the way to go. A starting pass rusher or a lineman would help the Colts more than a RB. A high caliber RB is not a need if the o-line gets shored up. With the need to protect Luck and improving the running game, o-line is more important IMO.

I agree on Zeke. I am not sure we go RB period. We have signed 2 now. We pocketed Trey Williams at the end of last season and Varga is coming back. I think we take Conklin or Billings if either are there. if neither are there someone more than likely fell in our lap. 

On 3/17/2016 at 6:42 PM, BOTT said:

Bell cow RB for the future? I wouldn't look too far ahead in th future when it comes to running backs.  Be prepared to let them walk after 4 years.

If you take them in the 1st round you got the fifth-year option… At worst you let him walk after 4 years just like they did with  RG3. Or you transition tag him and get a pick out of him.
With that being said I'M still not sure he'll be there or the Colts will take him. I think There are bigger needs. With guys that will come in day one and start. Hopefully were drafting in the 30s late 20s and we can take Leonard Fournette and release Frank Next year

On 3/17/2016 at 3:16 PM, Wesk7 said:

I think you're spot on other than maybe Zeke. But I address that in a previous post nice work

I think Mackenzie Alexander and Billings are special players. I'd be elated to have either one of them at #1. As of late Shaq Lawson keeps getting mocked top 10 so my gut says he may be gone before our pick. From there as far as other players are concerned I would be really okay with Jack Conklin. I'm usually against a guard in the first round but he's more than capable of playing RT if necessary. Like the versatility.