Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pats trade Chandler Jones to AZ for Cooper and 2nd rounder

Superman

26 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

They already have Sheard (with 8 sacks playing 51% of their snaps) and 2 2nd year edge rushers coming along to add depth.
 And the guy is in his last year of his deal.
 And you love his weird drug issue to boot. Ya, we can take him for one year, for our 1st that can be on our roster for 4 years for about $2.4M per. Good grief kid!
  And Sadly you don`t get it that one guy doesn`t make a defense. Watch Belicheck and learn kid.

Yeah I forgot he smoked pot. That's the most horrible thing if ever heard of anyone doing.......Ever

But in all seriousness. No. One guy doesn't make a defense. But a top tier EDGE rusher makes a MAJOR difference. Just look at how good our D would be with a top tier EDGE rusher who puts up 12 or so sacks every year.

Also. Sheard is good. Very good. I wanted us to sign him last year. But he's not the player Jones is. Those 2 together is what the Pats should have been planning for. Jones is just entering his prime. He should be putting up 10-12 or more sacks for the next 4-5 years.

And finally. If we had actually traded for him and he came in and balled out (Like he most likely will this year) then we could have given him that big contract. If we're ever gonna get a top tier EDGE rusher we're gonna have to pay him sometime. Hopefully we find one in the draft this year, though.

And I don't care if a player smokes weed or not. As long as he performs. Like I've said before. Most likely between 60-70% of players in the league smoke weed or do some other recreational drug. Most are just smart enough to not get caught.

13 hours ago, Yehoodi said:

I would of like to keep Jones too, but with Hightower, Collins, Butler, McCourty, Niko, etc., a team can only have so many playmakers on D, and our guesses up here have been we will likely lose one of those players.  So although disappointing, not a major shock, something had to give.  By trading him we get a 2nd round pick.

I liked Jones and sorry to see him go.  We went to the same college.

u signed Chris long to help replace

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25518535/report-chris-long-signs-with-patriots-hours-after-chandler-jones-trade

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry...   for some reason,  I thought the Pats got two #1's....     my bad...  

It happens.  No worries.  I had too had forgotten part of the trade, I had thought Seymour had played part of the season with pats and was only gone for 9 games as opposed to the full season.  :) 

5 hours ago, bayone said:

Yah I think part of the Jones trade included getting Long for some depth.   Time will tell to see how the trade works out for both sides of the ball for the pats in 2016

With Seattle having one of the worst lines in football great pick up for Arizona . Could be wrong but wasn't the sack leader and real only pass rush coming from a old situational player in Freeney . I get it for NE to many players to pay and after Brady getting hit 17 times in the Denver game something had to be done . I don't think they are riding on a bust of a lineman taking over but that they can use that pick to get another playmaker or solid lineman on a rookie contract . 

3 hours ago, Yehoodi said:

Yah I think part of the Jones trade included getting Long for some depth.   Time will tell to see how the trade works out for both sides of the ball for the pats in 2016

think was good move, Long has chance to stay healthy & prove self , alot depends on how used & how many snaps

Jones next year would command a huge price as a free agent 

1 hour ago, bayone said:

think was good move, Long has chance to stay healthy & prove self , alot depends on how used & how many snaps

Jones next year would command a huge price as a free agent 

Yes Jones will likely command a huge price, something out of the pats budget. 

He also has a salary of 7.8 mil this year which the pats were able to take off the books for other players this year.

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

I dont know how anybody could call this anything other than a win for Arizona. 

RT @RossTuckerNFL Pats fans need to stop saying that OG J. Cooper will "help fortify the middle". He stinks. Anything u get from him in this deal is gravy

9 hours ago, Dustin said:

They basically traded a 2nd rounder for a one year rental in Chandler Jones.

If anything, it's an insane steal for the Patriots.

8 hours ago, rock8591 said:

They basically traded a 2nd rounder for a one year rental in Chandler Jones.

If anything, it's an insane steal for the Patriots.

Not really. Unless he's awful he'll get franchise tagged and then extended.

21 hours ago, Dustin said:

Completely agree.  I think the trade value was pretty close to fair, but that's only because the impending extension will occur next year as they franchise him and extend him.  If he had been going into his 3rd year, it'd be a steal by the Cards.  In any case, I'd probably rather have Chandler Jones than anyone that the Pats may get at 2.30 or who they get using that pick to trade up/down with that pick.