Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Hosting Another Workout With Reggie Ragland

NFL teams keeping Ragland busy: Colts workout up next
Published: March 15, 2016 at 11:35 a.m.

Reggie Ragland's schedule is filling up, as he participated in his first private workout on Friday and has another on Tuesday.

The Alabama linebacker, a projected first-round selection in the 2016 NFL Draft, is working out with the Indianapolis Colts on Tuesday following Friday's session with the Chicago Bears, who bolstered their defense with the signing of linebacker Danny Trevathan last week. Just two days after Alabama's pro day, Ragland performed position drills with Bears linebackers coach Glenn Pires.

http://www.nfl.com/labs/rr/pathtothedraft/ragland

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Darron Lee would be a great fit for Freemans position. Seems as though there's no interest on here or by the Colts. Yet the Colts seem to love Ragland who has much less potential IMO because of his lack of athleticism. 

I'm not buying it.  When's the last time we actually drafted someone highly that we overtly had interest in prior to the draft?  The only time with this regime I can remember is Andrew Luck, and there's less reason to play games when you plan to use the #1 pick in the draft on a franchise QB...

On the bright side he shows very good instincts and play recognition. On the other side of the coin he is slow. Chris Borland went in the 3rd round and was a better prospect then Ragland in my opinion...better technician

13 minutes ago, Archer said:

I'm not buying it.  When's the last time we actually drafted someone highly that we overtly had interest in prior to the draft?  The only time with this regime I can remember is Andrew Luck, and there's less reason to play games when you plan to use the #1 pick in the draft on a franchise QB...

Not in the first round, but the team has worked out other drafted players. Geathers last year, for instance.

I don't think they've ever spent this much time with any first round guy, other than Luck.

16 minutes ago, Archer said:

Geathers, D'Joun Smith to name a few. Werner had a private workout with the Colts as well.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

http://www.nfl.com/labs/rr/pathtothedraft/ragland

This is after they watched him closely at Alabama's pro day. They're gonna draft this guy #18. :: sighs prayerfully :: 

Yup, that's possibly our defensive captain in the middle for the next decade or so (if he falls to us).  Just need defensive line to occupy the O line and let him roam free for 120+ tackles a year.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/film-study-can-alabama-lb-reggie-ragland-get-anymore-freakish/

How did CJ Mosley do last year?  I think this is as good or better.  He's also intelligent and will likely be a great at D alignment/calls.

16 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Seems like we are allowed to bring in a total of 30 for pre-draft workouts?
Grigsons board got us a tiny returner, receiver in 2015. No telling how Great our bunch rates Ragland. :eek:

Can't you give the kid a chance? And if not will you let it go? Dorsett is part of this team and the debate over selecting him is almost a year old...

1 hour ago, SP_21 said:

Darron Lee would be a great fit for Freemans position. Seems as though there's no interest on here or by the Colts. Yet the Colts seem to love Ragland who has much less potential IMO because of his lack of athleticism. 

I've been a big advocate of Lee FYI :-)

I just like some of the other prospects a bit more.

49 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not in the first round, but the team has worked out other drafted players. Geathers last year, for instance.

I don't think they've ever spent this much time with any first round guy, other than Luck.

Yup. We also worked out Werner. I think the Colts are paying him too much attention for it to be a smoke screen. We had Pagano, Grigson, Macchiano, and the VP of Football Operations at his pro day, which is crazy.

Ragland wouldn't be the worst first round pick tbh. But I think it's safe to say they really like him.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yup. We also worked out Werner. I think the Colts are paying him too much attention for it to be a smoke screen. We had Pagano, Grigson, Macchiano, and the VP of Football Operations at his pro day, which is crazy.

Ragland wouldn't be the worst first round pick tbh. But I think it's safe to say they really like him.

Lots of players at Alabama's pro day, though. It's always popular. But yeah, for that whole contingent to be there, they obviously liked somebody. That was the day free agency started, too.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

No he hates Ragland

I don't hate him, I just think he's yesterday's linebacker, a downhill guy who will be abused in coverage. He has some versatility and could play on the edge, but he's not a good pass rusher. I'm just not a fan of him or this kind of linebacker.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't hate him, I just think he's yesterday's linebacker, a downhill guy who will be abused in coverage. He has some versatility and could play on the edge, but he's not a good pass rusher. I'm just not a fan of him or this kind of linebacker.

I haven't watched but a couple clips of him to be honest, but I think he's better in coverage than people say.  He's no Kuechly, but I think most teams don't have these all out coverage guys like that.  We can still make it work, and he's not that slow.   Not that I'm raising a white card to draft him, but I think he'd be pretty productive.  

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I haven't watched but a couple clips of him to be honest, but I think he's better in coverage than people say.  He's no Kuechly, but I think most teams don't have these all out coverage guys like that.  We can still make it work, and he's not that slow.   Not that I'm raising a white card to draft him, but I think he'd be pretty productive.  

I've watched everything there is on him. He's not good in coverage. 

Also, I've never called him slow, because he's not slow. But he isn't great at changing direction, moving laterally, or turning his hips. In a straight line, he's a wrecking ball. Short area changes are fine, which is one of his best ways of beating blockers in the run game.

He would be productive, especially in the run game. He's the kind of guy who can lead your team in tackles every year, like D'Qwell. But as of right now, he can't cover, also like D'Qwell. And we're getting ready to use a first rounder on him.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I've watched everything there is on him. He's not good in coverage. 

Also, I've never called him slow, because he's not slow. But he isn't great at changing direction, moving laterally, or turning his hips. In a straight line, he's a wrecking ball. Short area changes are fine, which is one of his best ways of beating blockers in the run game.

He would be productive, especially in the run game. He's the kind of guy who can lead your team in tackles every year, like D'Qwell. But as of right now, he can't cover, also like D'Qwell. And we're getting ready to use a first rounder on him.

You're speaking mostly about man coverage right?

Just now, krunk said:

You're speaking mostly about man coverage right?

Both. He's definitely not good in man coverage, and wasn't used in a lot of man coverage over the last two years.

But even in zone, where he's less of a liability, you have to be able to move laterally, flip your hips, etc. He can break on a play that happens in front of him, but making plays in zone coverage isn't a strength.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Both. He's definitely not good in man coverage, and wasn't used in a lot of man coverage over the last two years.

But even in zone, where he's less of a liability, you have to be able to move laterally, flip your hips, etc. He can break on a play that happens in front of him, but making plays in zone coverage isn't a strength.

I'll get back to you. I'm at work right now

10 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I still think he is slow

I thought he ran 4.64. He ran 4.72. That's the 60th percentile for ILBs, historically, not great, but he's 247 pounds.

I don't think he's slow, and he doesn't come downhill slow. But he's not an explosive athlete.

25 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I still think he is slow

Doesn't matter that he's slow.....    his instincts and ability to read and react are fast.

What good does speed do you if you're slow to diagnose and react?

Remember,  Jerry Rice wasn't supposed to be fast either --- how'd he turn out?

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Doesn't matter that he's slow.....    his instincts and ability to read and react are fast.

What good does drafting this guy do when he can't cover at a decent level. Even in college. 

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I can agree with you when it comes to a smart route runner but a linebacker who struggles to cover I would have to disagree with you.  I am not a fan of drafting him in the first but thats just my opinion.  I am still hopeful for Eli Apple.

Things I see and like about Ragland-

Excellent instincts and I.Q.
Fluid lateral mobility, works hard sideline to sidline
Powerful and violent hand usage to jolt blockers, can shed blocks
Active feet and good vision places him around the football
Square to the LOS and rarely is sealed off
Reacts swiftly to the ball in coverage and has closing burst to the football
Top notch play diagnosis and solid run defender
Huge hitter, will make receivers pay

Things I wish were better-

Atleticism
Speed to cover seam routes
Loses receivers behind him in zone
Grabby defending vertical routes in man (Stiff hips as Supes says)
Big hitters that sometimes fails to wrap up (common in big hitters these days)

I'm OK with him in the first

I want to be strong up the middle, QB, Center, strong ILB, FS, then we have LT, and need athletic edge.  Ragland has a role in my plan.  So I'd be OK with the pick.  But I doubt he lasts to 18.  Really. Some 3-4 team will pick themselves up a long term thumper that might even surpass CJ Mosley.

Here is the RealFootballNetwork guys thoughts on him  grade wise-

Athletic ability     =7
Competitiveness        =8
Key & Diagnose        =8
Inside    Run        =8
Playing    Strength/Shed    =8
Over    TE/Use of Hands    =8
Outside    Run         =8
Lateral    Pursuit/Flow    =7
Tackling/In & Out    =8
Man    Cover         =6

Pass Drops/Hips        =7
Zone/React to Ball    =7

Summary    of football ability
Run game disrupter, reads and reacts to run on and off LOS, can play Mike or Sam, has skill set to create pressure on QB in blitz or pass rush, adequate in pass coverage
Grade    =8.40

25 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I hope we pass on this guy.  Fixing the OL is our most important need.  Especially center.  Bill B. just traded his best pass rusher in an attempt to fix his OL. He doesn't want Brady out like Andrew. Even it if costs him a 12.5 sack guy.  He has his priorities right. 

Have you noticed everyone is ignoring you?

15 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

What good does drafting this guy do when he can't cover at a decent level. Even in college. 

That is the worst part of his game, and he can be adequate.  Here he is defending Hunter Henry.  An Athletic tight end got the jump on him, yet he was still able to defend the play.

raglandvshunter.gif

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Fine.  Still not buying it, though! ;)  (Probably because I don't want him.)

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Lots of players at Alabama's pro day, though. It's always popular. But yeah, for that whole contingent to be there, they obviously liked somebody. That was the day free agency started, too.

I think they were thinking ahead. Even before the issue with D'Qwell, they were probably thinking about upgrading LB through the draft. They probably figured they couldn't keep Jackson and Freeman. 

I wouldn't mind a fresh group of young linebackers who bust heads.  Ragland ain't bad.  As long as we get a real good football player at that pick I'm cool.  It don't have to be Ragland so it's not something I'm stuck on. If he's drafted there I'd be okay.

1 hour ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Well...   he was worked out at OLB at the Senior Bowl to see if he could cover and the word was,  he did pretty well.

On top of that,  he'd be your middle linebacker,  not your other ILB which does most of the covering.   He'd likely be out on a number of passing down (if he can't cover)  but he'd be the hammer to plug up the middle on the other downs.

Don't get me wrong....   Ragland is not the guy I want the Colts to draft.   Not my preferred pick.     But those who scout for a living think he's pretty darn good,  so if the Colts do take him  then they must really like him.

If I had to guess,  we're not taking him.    

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

I can agree with you when it comes to a smart route runner but a linebacker who struggles to cover I would have to disagree with you.  I am not a fan of drafting him in the first but thats just my opinion.  I am still hopeful for Eli Apple.

As I just posted elsewhere in this thread,  Raglund is not my choice for who the Colts take.    I'd prefer either pass rush or O-line or Corner.    And I really like Apple too.

But the Ragland hate that is all over this website I think is too much.    The scouts who do this for a living really, really like Ragland.    So, I'm not scared of him.

If I had to predict,  we're not taking Ragland -- in part because I don't think he'll be there when we pick.   I think some other team takes him before 18.      Just my hunch....